Sky Sports F1 HD

Posted by marwood82 
Re: Sky Sports F1 HD
Date: April 18, 2012 10:55PM
Posted by: J i m
Hmm well.. What do you expect a post race interview to consist of? What pets do you have and what are their names?

No... "sum up your race" is pretty much the most appropriate one not to mention the correct one. Yes maybe ocassionally she should use an leading question but imo she gets it right.

Date: April 19, 2012 07:41AM
Posted by: gav
Ah, the ITV way of doing things. "So, Mark, just how important are tyres?".

Leave it up to the drivers to put the race across their way. Unless something controversial has happened, don't put words into their mouths. It was only a few years ago that F1 was seemingly filled with corporate bots giving interviews.
Date: April 22, 2012 11:02AM
I think this is the first of the races where I can't be bothered to do anything about it.

I suppose the race doesn't have the same draw as it normally would. The unrest, the fact that we shouldn't be here, the name Hermann Tilke and that it's not normally exciting - heck, the 2010 was mind-numbingly boring, the only real interest being Vettel's exhaust at the end.

I can't be bothered to find a stream to watch (someone on VT might be putting up a private one, so I could watch that), and I can't be bothered to avoid all the news and sports websites in order to watch it later unspoiled. At the moment, I think I might just listen to it on 5 Live, then watch the highlights later (or download the Sky HD coverage if it's an interesting race).
Date: May 27, 2012 07:55PM
Posted by: EC83
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also they got totally thrashed this weekend on the
> viewing figures and I mean thrashed. By all
> accounts 4 million watched the BBC less than a
> million watched SKY. Its just not working at all.

I just remembered this. Don't know about anyone else, but the last two race weekends I've just watched the BBC coverage and not even bothered with Sky, and I don't feel like I've missed out on anything. Even Martin Brundle commentating hasn't made me want to turn over. The BBC make them seem like a bunch of amateurs.

Date: May 29, 2012 11:47AM
There isn't anything drastically wrong with the Sky coverage. But in my situation when I can't garantee to be able to watch the action love because of work anyway then BBC & iplayer is always going to be my choice and if not that then dodgy streams (which finally seem to be tackled by FOM & Sky :( ).

There is no real problem with Sky's coverage team except obviously that Ant Davidson is a bit of a cock.. but overall I still prefer Jake and the BBC, Gary Anderson is also beginning to settle into his role and becoming a brilliant addition as well.

The Sky coverage has some good features and good people... But i'm not going to be in the market to subscribe to it.

Date: May 29, 2012 12:02PM
Posted by: Adman1138
On weekends when BBC is live I'll watch the build up and post race on BBC but I'll still watch the race itself on Sky as I like Brundles commentary with Crofty.

The only real downside I've found with Sky's races is that they keep talking over team radio transmissions, especially Ted Kravitz. I find this strange as I don't remembed Kravitz having this problem on the BBC, so Sky need to adopt whatever system the BBC use to tell people that team radio was coming up.

I still like the Sky F1 channel, I like having the GP2 and GP3 races, even though I've not had time to watch as many as I would like, and I like that they're showing full race replays from earlier seasons.
Date: May 29, 2012 12:27PM
Posted by: chet
The sky coverage seems very corporate, whereas the BBC more relaxed now.

Sky will get there, but first they need to jack in Simon, and give Georgie a better role for race weekends. She is great on the F1 show.

And, this is painful to say but I'd like to remember my hero Damon as the Schumacher slayer I once did, not as the pr*ck who doesn't seem to know anything about anything.

Herbert is a massive breath of fresh air though, enjoying him!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 29, 2012 12:53PM
I think Hill does know his stuff, and knows it well (read his books they're brilliant). But he isn't perhapps very strong as a broadcaster. Not every racing driver is going to be a natural in presenting.

Even that BBC thing with Button doing a feature in the pre race show suggests that being interviewed or having a conversation on camera is a completely different concept to presenting to an audience.

Date: May 29, 2012 07:55PM
Posted by: marcl
I don't have a problem with Hill but I do with that idiot Simon.

For me the whole Sky thing just offers nothing new at all. The post race stuff is far worse than the BBC red button. The BBC was full of energy, Sky just is flat.

The pre race stuff has got better though, but still nothing new.

The race is the same as you would expect it to be.

I do not think I will bother to keep it next year if I'm honest. The actually channel is just fall of repeats and the race coverage is below the BBC.
Date: May 29, 2012 08:11PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
marcl Wrote:
> I don't have a problem with Hill but I do with
> that idiot Simon.
>
> For me the whole Sky thing just offers nothing new
> at all. The post race stuff is far worse than the
> BBC red button. The BBC was full of energy, Sky
> just is flat.
>
> The pre race stuff has got better though, but
> still nothing new.
>
> The race is the same as you would expect it to
> be.
>
> I do not think I will bother to keep it next year
> if I'm honest. The actually channel is just fall
> of repeats and the race coverage is below the BBC.

I don't mind Simon, if I was head of Sky I wouldn't go out especially to sign him up, but he's ok. Bit of a shame Sky couldn't get Jake though...

Ted Kravitz is class, his insight is brilliant and adds a helluva lot. I agree with Chet, Johnny Herbert's pretty damn good as a pundit as he's quite media-friendly.

I do like the Sky coverage, maybe they overuse flashy graphics but that's them trying to put their own stamp on it. Like the BBC's trademark is the 3 chaps in the pitlane with informative conversation, and ITV's was broadcasting for dumbasses. I generally don't watch all of the build-up though (it's a bit long) especially on early morning races (more sleep ;-)).

The commentary duo makes it for me though. It's not exactly as good as Brundle and Coulthard together, but Crofty and Brundle is pretty good. I personally find Ben Edwards a bit bland (not to the Legard extent, though).

Georgie Thompson in HD is another highlight...;)

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: May 29, 2012 08:19PM
Posted by: Morbid
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> Georgie Thompson in HD is another highlight...;)

I have seen her once, as Perez' crash was analyzed. I felt a strong urge to strangle her. She knew nothing about why Perez could not turn in, and thus add nothing to the analysis. To compound matters, she kept stepping in front of the screen showing the replay of the crash and the analysis pointers. There is only one reason that she is there... to me, that is not enough!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 29, 2012 11:11PM
They mis use Georgie a lot. As a presenter she's perfectly acceptable.. So her f1 show for instance works as it should because she's basically presenting a magazine show and she can take charge of it. But it's pointless putting her with Davidson for the technical analysis for her lack knowledge and hence useful input. It's almost as though Sky make her do that simply for the dumbass sun page 3 "way hey! Boobies!!" vote.

I agree that Ted is excellent, he probably gate crashes genuine experts technical analysis but he's very good at gathering information and then delivering it to the viewer.

Date: May 29, 2012 11:16PM
Yeah don't get me wrong people like Ted, Brundle etc are fantastic.

Its just for me something that we are having to pay for is no better then when we did not and they said it would be.

Do we really need 90 min pre race show when tbh they don't really cover much?

Also the team bosses do not seem as happy talking to Sky as they did to the BBC and 9 times out of 10 the BBC get there 1st as we can see them on cam.
Date: May 30, 2012 01:03PM
Posted by: chet
Starting like to like Natalie too, but Lee still has it over her, 10 fold. Lee seems like a real person, not a media drone.

Will be interesting how she fares with Jake at the Euro's and Olympics.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 30, 2012 08:09PM
She coped admirably well when she had to cover him for the 2010 Japanese Grand Prix. Her first session presented was washed out. Nothing like a baptism of fire!

She won't have the same enthusiasm as Humprey, but she got plenty of her own qualities. Plus I've noticed Schumacher seems to have a bit of a soft spot for her. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 08:11PM by gav.
Date: May 31, 2012 10:15AM
You can see why Jake did not leave the BBC.

He has been given so many programmes now so has done really well for himself since taking over F1
Date: May 31, 2012 12:08PM
Posted by: MotherDawg
Ya but DC is not as good as Brundle.

But I do get both off the net and listenning to a GP now takes over 12 hours and use over 15 gigs of space 8-)))

No I do not like F1... LoL
Date: June 01, 2012 04:46PM
Posted by: Radar
Just signed up with Sky after being a Cable /Virgin Media customer for 10 years get F1 HD with package. Loved the BBC coverage till this year when it split in two, half team @ BBC half to SKY, prefer DC & MB doing the commentary as was last year but sadly no more. Grid walk with DC is very lame Brundle much much better, but the comentary lead upto the race is far better on the BBC. Where SKY wins is on the tech info which MB used to do for BBC but now does in his excellent informed manner for SKY. I switch between channels on live joint transmission but prefer the race on Sky mainly for the other red button options & MB commentary.
Date: June 01, 2012 07:28PM
Posted by: thestig88
im struggling to understand how people don't like ben edwards' commentary, i admit he's lost that sparkle he had during his 1st f1 stint and his CART years (absolutely legendary commentary alongside jeremy shaw), but he knows his stuff, chooses his words well, knows when to "get excited" etc, brundle - great co-commentator, very witty and knowledgable, but not a great lead commentator, the race start (the most critical point of a race) he would treat like going to look at puddle. just my opinion!
Date: June 01, 2012 10:02PM
Posted by: EC83
I don't think Ben Edwards has lost any of the sparkle he had when he commentated on F1 for EuroSport. His commentating style is more or less the same, except maybe he sounds a bit more sensible and mature these days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy