>
> I thought the build-up was a poor imitation of the
> BBC approach. They tried to do pretty much the
> same (even down to the tablet) except I want to
> punch that slimey bugger Lazemby, Georgie Thompson
> serves no purpose whatsoever that I can see and
> Damon Hill's every other word was "erm". It was
> just poor. I expect it to get better, but it's
> nowhere near as slick as the BBC coverage.
>
>
> Croft and Brundle worked very well together - I
> didn't think an equal-status team would work as
> well as it did, but it seemed very fluid. A nice
> relaxed manner between them. :)
>
> I did feel they were a bit slow on occasion though
> - among other instances, it took them a good 20-30
> seconds to see the Q1 shock unfolding in front of
> them.
>
> Croft still had the radio-style to him, painting
> the picture for the audience, but I guess it's
> natural that it'll take a little time for that to
> wear off, just as it will take James Allen time to
> adjust the other way.
>
> I'll watch the BBC highlights later on, as I'm
> looking forward to finally seeing what Ben Edwards
> is like in the big time.

I don't really have too many complaints about the Sky coverage. As the season goes on, they'll ease into their roles a little more. Anthony Davidson's run through the laps had enthusiasm and detail, but I agree, Georgie Thompson doesn't serve much purpose other than to nod at what Ant says.

Damon hasn't really done a lot of TV stuff like this, so he'll get more confident and probably try and cut out the 'erms'. Don't really see what the problem with Lazenby is, he's not a bad anchorman. Using the iPad lets him see tweets and stuff, which are incoming all the time which could include questions to whoever they're interviewing. Yes, the BBC pioneered it but it's much like F1 in itself where everyone's going to have their own adaptations of the idea.

I have heard conflicting views of BBC vs SKY coverage today; some have praised the BBC, some have deemed it lacking and lazy. I haven't seen it yet so I won't pass comment. But I'm currently liking the Sky coverage, although I am a huge fan of what the BBC put out for the last 3 seasons. We surely must be grateful that it's not ITV.

Lastly, the commentary. Top-notch.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Re: Sky Sports F1 HD
Date: March 17, 2012 09:40PM
Posted by: EC83
Georgie Thompson serves no purpose whatsoever that I can see

True. I still would though. :P

Date: March 17, 2012 09:50PM
Posted by: gav
I think on today's evidence I couldn't... I'd constantly be wondering what the @#$%& she was thinking with that wardrobe selection.

@Incident2k9, of course they'll improve, but I just felt the support team were trying to directly copy the BBC coverage but weren't capable of doing it.

Damon Hill will never be a success on TV. He's been out of the sport, both actively and passively, for too long to have any meaningful technical opinion and he doesn't have enough charisma to add anything else. You'd easily argue that the BBC has both with Coulthard and Jordan (as much as he annoys me).

Simon Lazemby will never be Jake Humphrey. Humphrey has been a breath of fresh air from the moment he opened his mouth in Melbourne 2009. Lazemby's job today was to try to be Humphrey, and I don't care how comfortable he gets, he's not going to be.

They've got the coverage and the opportunity to do whatever they want, but so far it's just lacking. As much as they'll improve, I just can't see them being as good as long as they continue to simply copy the BBC. They need to do something different. Do something more. And at £60 a month + adverts, they certainly should be able to pull it off.
Date: March 17, 2012 10:01PM
Posted by: J i m
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Georgie Thompson serves no purpose whatsoever that
> I can see
>
> True. I still would though. :P

Give me Lee McKenzie any day.

Date: March 17, 2012 10:25PM
Simon Lazenby hasn't bothered me as such - but you're not wrong, I do detect a slight hint of slimy, almost creepiness about him. :P

Damon is just... Damon. He'll always bore me at the best of times.

Georgie and Natalie both strike me as lacking in personality and generally a bit dull. They are an improvement on Louise Goodman though!

Basically I think Brundle(and to an extent Crofty) noticeably out-shines all the others.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Lee. She has better dress sense too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2012 10:28PM by EC83.
Date: March 17, 2012 10:34PM
As I'm sure Johnny Herbert will testify, a bra on Louise Goodman is an improvement.

I agree on the commentary team - they, the most important part of the team, are by far and away strongest area of Sky's footage.
Date: March 18, 2012 01:03AM
Posted by: matt3454
I watched a brief bit of the BBC coverage to see how it compares, and i can't help but think its part of a season review when Edwards speaks ;)

Date: March 18, 2012 11:12AM
Posted by: matt3454
Also i feel the pairing of James Allen and Alguersuari is a stronger partnership than Edwards/Coulthard on the BBC. I'll probably be hated for that opinion but i do think Allen is a decent commentator.

Date: March 18, 2012 01:44PM
Posted by: geoff
Just watching a bit of BBC quali coverage. Croft and Brundle are the better commentary team I think, but the Beeb pre-show was a lot better than Sky's IMO. Ho hum, a better deal for all? I don't think so. Mix and match time I think...
Date: March 18, 2012 02:09PM
Well today Crofty consistently mistook a Sauber for a Williams, whilst you forgive him for getting any car mixed up when it's shilouleted against the lowering light... He did it all race long.

We'll soon see how Edwards got on, but yeah mix & match for sure they both got elements worth watching.

Date: March 18, 2012 07:32PM
Posted by: marcl
Ok they completed their 1st race.

Both Brundle and Croft failed to notice Vettel done 2 stints on softs and only the last on hards.

The post race stuff was poor, BBC red button used to be so much better.

90 min pre race is a waste of time, 30 mins are taken up with adverts.

The Sky pad offered nothing either.

All in all today they gave us nothing extra at all, very let down.

For me Simon is just trying to copy Jake, it does not work for him simple.

Oh btw the BBC had 5 times the viewers Sky did today lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 07:32PM by marcl.
Date: March 18, 2012 09:15PM
I wonder what ratings Vipbox got...

Date: March 18, 2012 10:31PM
Posted by: chet
Simon Lazenby .... Who? And why?

Himself, and Thompson RUIN the coverage. Still, I cant complain, Brundle and Croft was equally as awesome (if not better!) than DC and Brundle! The Sky 'tech' is awesome, Kravitz is awesome. Hill is better than EJ... so basically the ones who ruin the show are the sky people.

Lazenby is no Humphrey. A long way off, when Jake was learning it seemed a genuine interest and will to learn and be a better presenter, in turn he became my favourite of the group. Lazenby is just a prick and the coverage was a complete rip of the BBC coverage, but with half the former staff, that is not a surprise.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 18, 2012 10:39PM
J i m Wrote:
> I wonder what ratings Vipbox got...

Do streams like that struggle to cope when very high numbers of people are watching them? Because it was stuttering like a mofo during the race, and it took several attempts before it would even log on - very strange, considering it's been very reliable the rest of the time. The only thing that would make sense would be the higher number of viewers straining and crashing it.

Date: March 18, 2012 10:41PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I liked it. Didn't really like the 90 mins buildup, seemed a little excessive though.

Crofty and Brundle are pretty good together. Yes, there were mistakes, but in such a fast-paced sport where they're checking tons of information out as well as watching the race it's inevitable.

Don't care for ratings. At this stage now, as long as I get to watch the whole race I really don't mind who broadcasts what. As long as it's not ITV.

The Skypad might work out a little better as the season gets underway, you know, for driver and staff changes, new parts and info, etc. I dunno.

But, lastly, an admission. What the BBC put out was amazing and I miss the whole team together. Quite a lot, in fact. Brundle and Coulthard became such a good commentary duo. I really can't forgive the Beeb for just canning the coverage, which is why I'm going to stick with Sky for now.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 18, 2012 11:15PM
EC83 Wrote:
> J i m Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I wonder what ratings Vipbox got...
>
> Do streams like that struggle to cope when very
> high numbers of people are watching them? Because
> it was stuttering like a mofo during the race, and
> it took several attempts before it would even log
> on - very strange, considering it's been very
> reliable the rest of the time. The only thing that
> would make sense would be the higher number of
> viewers straining and crashing it.

Strange... It's been near perfect for me these past 2 days with only the slightest of hiccoughs. If anything it performed better for me this weekend than it did all week.

I decided to sleep in before the race started and deliberately missed most of the sky build up and just as well I did because when I watched it on the re-run I found it boring. The BBC coverage definitely has the edge for me.. But since they've been doing it for 3 seasons perhapps it should.

My main problem with the sky coverage is that they are essentially trying to copy what the BBC did... but they're mixing it with this kind of football tone of presentation and it just doesn't work. Their musical choices as well are woeful.

sky coverage is a bit like a band covering a song... 99 times out of 100 it's going to be a pale shadow of fe awesomeness of the original.

Date: March 19, 2012 08:00AM
I hope there's much more to come from Brundle's Ferrari experience, as that was a shocking waste. They had a modern Ferrari to use for a day and they managed to get, what, 3 minutes of footage, most of which was a repeat of the moody garage scenes already shown minutes earlier?
Date: March 19, 2012 08:03AM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia
gav Wrote:
> I hope there's much more to come from Brundle's
> Ferrari experience, as that was a shocking waste.
> They had a modern Ferrari to use for a day and
> they managed to get, what, 3 minutes of footage,
> most of which was a repeat of the moody garage
> scenes already shown minutes earlier?

Yeah he said he done 14 laps in it.

I think they might use more for the formation lap thing he mentioned.
Date: March 19, 2012 09:58AM
Posted by: marwood82
just seen from the listings the opening round of the Indycar Series will be on Sky Sports F1 next sunday.
(its rapidly becoming motorsport central. shame they can't nab the DTM off ESPN)

didn't really catch much of the pre-race show as it was on early so i'll reserve judgment till next week.(though i'll probably give them a few months as it took jake and co a bit of time to settle in)

thought the commentary was very good. crofty and brundle does work. and the advert breaks were conspicuous by their absence during qualy and the race.

the after race coverage needs work. there was some nice ideas and they didn't just focus on the front of the grid but it was all a bit disjointed, however as i said, i'm giving them a bit of time to get into the groove.
Date: March 19, 2012 10:56AM
Posted by: danm
I LOL'd when they used rizzle kicks for a theme tune to part of the preview. I mean, wtf!?

BBC music choices, especially the post race end credit re-caps were brilliant.

I still remember the Button 2009 JayZ 'Run this Town' clip. Perfect combination.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy