Sky Sports F1 HD

Posted by marwood82 
Re: Sky Sports F1 HD
Date: May 30, 2013 05:21AM
Posted by: geoff
Sorry if I missed this, but has Georgie been given the flick?

Didn't think much of her role (a bit pointless really), but I'd rather they got rid of Lazenby and promoted her to be honest. Maybe they didn't want to do that with Suzi Perry hosting on the Beeb..?
Date: May 30, 2013 10:29AM
Posted by: J i m
I think the official line is that she resigned because she wanted to do more "prime time" tv.

I didn't really see the point of her either, not to fault her presenting ability but she didn't strike me as having any interest in or knowledge of F1. I think she was only ever going to get bored in that job.

That's one of the problems of picking someome for the "eye candy" they risk having someome who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. ITV were particularly bad for it, for their fortnight delayed coverage of GP2 they sent along a bimbo who although looked very nice clearly didn't know the first thing about racing and asked embarrassingly stupid questions to the drivers.

They even did it for the F1 for a bit, they had Beverly Turner, who although obviously clever in her own right didn't have any interest in the sport what so ever. I always got the impression that she took the job because "oh wow look Monaco glitzy glamour pampering" then had culture shock in the actual behind the scenes reality.. Then got upset because no one took her seriously and decided that it was all to discriminatory.

That's why the likes of Lee McKenzie are so much better, because they have genuine interest in the sport, they aren't there because they think they might get the chance to rub shoulders with A list celebs, they know their stuff.

Date: May 30, 2013 10:34AM
Posted by: geoff
Yup - I was hoping Lee would get Jake's job when he left. :(
Date: May 30, 2013 01:07PM
Same here, Susie has been a little bit disappointing so far :( but may she'll settle down into it. At least she is motor-sport savvy.

Date: November 17, 2013 01:30PM
Posted by: EC83
Time to bump this I think.

I now have the channel(Ahem) having decided to treat myself - this is the second race weekend where I'll have had it.
I loved that they showed the 1991 USA GP last night - I hadn't seen even the BBC Highlights of it since my video of it got chewed up by a dodgy VCR 19 years ago. So it was sweet to watch.

I think Martin Brundle and Crofty have gelled now as commentators and are working well together - the good working relationship is obvious. It's great to see.

Also, Natalie Pinkham was annoying me during quali yesterday. I thought she was being very patronising and generally a bit stupid and immature when interviewing the drivers.

Edit: Now they're showing the 2007 GP - another one I've not seen for years(In fact, since the race actually happened). The Alonso/Hamilton battle, and Vettel's very first race - this will be awesome!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2013 01:35PM by EC83.
Date: December 18, 2013 11:47AM
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Being a sheep and already pocessing the relevant Apple tech, I have to admit I am tempted. At least for when I'm at home during F1 time and the Beeb aren't on a live coverage weekend.

Afterall, there's only so long one can tolerate the Vipbox, pop up ads, risk of malware and the incessant need to restart the stream because it lost the connection every couple of minutes.

But at 9.99 for 24 hours, it'll be for the race day only :P (I'd tolerate Vipbox for practice and qualify).

Date: December 18, 2013 03:01PM
Posted by: gav
I thought Sky were offering this last season for anyone? It was generally ignored, as £10 for a day is utter madness (unless you wanted it for Le Mans or something silly long like that).

I'd be happy to just wait for the torrent (race) or BBC highlights (qualifying) personally, but I managed to acquire a Sky Go sub for the latter part of last season anyway.
Date: December 18, 2013 05:31PM
Yes, the opporunity the 24hr pass thing has been there for a while and myself blanched at the idea of splashing out the best part of £30 for a Grand Prix weekend.

What's changed for me is that now I can stream it on my Apple TV and view it on my TV, which is more appealing than streaming it on my laptop etc.

And so if the ocassion is sufficently worth looking forward to.. then paying £9.99 to view the live race, with all the reaction and other stuff isn't as offensive as it seemed before.

But definitely, when I'm out, or it's a BBC live weekend then it's them for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy