Sky Sports F1 HD

Posted by marwood82 
Re: Sky Sports F1 HD
Date: June 29, 2012 12:17AM
Posted by: marcl
This is what bugs me, the BBC team last year was perfect and its a shame its all got split up.

I just wish sky and the bbc could have shared the teams.
Date: July 05, 2012 06:10PM
Posted by: chet
I suppose those of you who have access to SkyF1 coverage will have been watching the Formula One Legends series?

It is nothing short of AMAZING! There is a lot of junk of the channel but that show is well worth the subscription!

I've just watched the Mika one and it has shot up to my favourite 1 hour's TV viewing. It was interesting, as you'd expect from him and once again gives that more personal feeling of F1. My one annoyance is that it did not talk about his retirement and the 2001 season and more about the relationship between himself and Ron.

It was a subject I always found interesting and certainly one of closest relationships between a driver and boss.

Anyone who has not yet seen any of them, they are a must! They are all interesting, and perhaps some of the shows covering the drivers from the 60's to the 80's are more interesting (particularly Andretti's!)... I only loved Mika's so much because Mika is up there as one of my all time favourite drivers, and personalities of the sport.

Also, at some points he does call Ron, "The Ron" and Schumacher, "The Schumacher" :p so for those reasons alone, watch!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 07, 2012 02:01AM
Posted by: Monza972
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suppose those of you who have access to SkyF1
> coverage will have been watching the Formula One
> Legends series?
>
> It is nothing short of AMAZING! There is a lot of
> junk of the channel but that show is well worth
> the subscription!
>
> I've just watched the Mika one and it has shot up
> to my favourite 1 hour's TV viewing. It was
> interesting, as you'd expect from him and once
> again gives that more personal feeling of F1. My
> one annoyance is that it did not talk about his
> retirement and the 2001 season and more about the
> relationship between himself and Ron.
>
> It was a subject I always found interesting and
> certainly one of closest relationships between a
> driver and boss.
>
> Anyone who has not yet seen any of them, they are
> a must! They are all interesting, and perhaps some
> of the shows covering the drivers from the 60's to
> the 80's are more interesting (particularly
> Andretti's!)... I only loved Mika's so much
> because Mika is up there as one of my all time
> favourite drivers, and personalities of the
> sport.
>
> Also, at some points he does call Ron, "The Ron"
> and Schumacher, "The Schumacher" :p so for those
> reasons alone, watch!

That's the one spot on thing that they have got on the channel. Absolutely fascinating to hear about all the old legends talking about their time in the sport. Most of the guys I never even witnessed racing. I'm yet to watch Mika's one though.
Date: July 07, 2012 01:18PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Does Martin even commentate anymore? Every highlight reel I hear/see is just the other bloke blethering on about nothing in particular.
Date: July 08, 2012 11:37PM
Monil, Stirling Moss is on tonight at midnight. I've got it on record. Brilliant idea by Sky! Really only appeals to the likes of us though! If this sort of thing were to have a DVD release I certainly would pay to have it.

Today I missed the race as it was my birthday yesterday (:D) so had people round for the weekend. The silly weather also meant our sky dish had been put out of place, plus the overgrown bushes are now well in the direction of the dish! I had tapped the race, or at least had planned to but there was ZERO signal apparently... Sooo I just watched on iplayer. First time watching my first full race on BBC since last year. Can't say I missed Martin, but I missed the grid walk. Other than that Edwards was pretty good, DC made a few errors but thats understandable. Gary Anderson was great too. I like Ted's enthusiasm but you can tell the difference between someone knowing what they're talking about and someone wishing to know what they're talking about ;-).

Last time I watched BBC I was flicking over from Sky. That time Edwards annoyed me a little but this time round he was good. Quite calm too, and similar to the review videos. Great to see Jake again, and of course Eddie. Must say I will probably watch all the available races on BBC from now. Edwards was deffo an improvement from when I heard him last!

Truth is, if any of you are like me then all you are looking at is the interval gaps constantly and not really taking the commentary in. All you hear is just noise nad recently the noise that Crofty has been making has started to bug me. But as ever it's the simple case of an f1 fan wanting to complain about something because he can't complain about the racing!

Date: July 21, 2012 03:20PM
Posted by: gav
As Sky are broadcasting Sky Sports for free on Sky Go this weekend, I've managed to blag a Sky Go account and watched their coverage for the first time in a few races.

It really is very poor. I'd have thought by now that the guys would have gelled a lot more, but if anything they seem less so than I remember even at the start of the season. There is no chemistry between Brundle and Croft whatsoever. Zero. It's like they're in different commentary booths - they don't bounce off each other at all or even seem to know what the other guy has just said. It's not bad, it's appalling. Absolutely none of the banter that Brundle and Coulthard had last year, or even Brundle and Legard (though overall Brundle/Croft are still better than Legard).

In the pits, Simon Lazenby hasn't improved at all, and while Herbert has added a bit to the coverage, it's still very, very lacklustre - among the normal three - Lazenby, Herbert and Hill, there's no character between the lot of them. The only shining light among the entire team is Kravitz. I never thought I'd say this, but it's making Brundle look poor, though he's still showing a bit of class when he's just talking to himself when Croft has gone a bit quiet.

I expected it to feel a bit distant at the start of the season, but we're now half way through the calendar and they really should have been able to compliment each other a lot more than they are.

The BBC, despite having to change half their staff themselves, are infinitely better than this.

That said, Sky Go is fantastic. The quality of the stream is top notch, even on an HD screen, and compared to the BT On Demand footage I was watching elsewhere yesterday it's in another league. Shame that it won't work on rooted Android devices though.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2012 03:29PM by gav.
Date: July 21, 2012 04:14PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
where can i download this f1 legends series from, guys ? thnx in advance
Date: July 21, 2012 04:26PM
Posted by: EC83
I watched a Sky live broadcast today for the first time since Montreal, and I've got to say I agree with Gav - it's pretty disappointing all round. I also don't like the pitlane reporter they have instead of Natalie Pinkham this weekend(Rachel Brookes?). Whenever she speaks she sounds like a CD player that's skipping.

Date: July 21, 2012 07:39PM
Posted by: marcl
Am glad people are getting it free this weekend so they can see just how bad it is and its not getting any better.

It worse than what ITV gave us years ago.
Date: July 21, 2012 09:30PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
marcl Wrote:
> Am glad people are getting it free this weekend so
> they can see just how bad it is and its not
> getting any better.
>
> It worse than what ITV gave us years ago.

Haha...no it isn't.

Nothing can reach what the BBC had before, but if it's a choice between Sky and BBC as it is right now Sky just does it for me more. I don't want to have to wait for a 'highlights' package, especially a highlights package with Ben Edwards who is on near Legard levels of blandness. I watched the 1st half of the British GP on the BBC, and I found DC very on the ball, and very eager. It's a shame he and Martin had to split, but that's just the way it is. Martin and DC were like listening to a conversation; with Edwards I was very aware that I was listening to commentary.

But Sky's coverage is NOWHERE near as bad as ITV. In fact, I don't remember ITV being all that bad until Mark Blundell became a pundit (though I was quite young) and it then all went downhill, especially with Steve Rider constantly going on about "Lewis Hamilton this, Lewis Hamilton that"...it became irksome. Especially as James Allen did his best to sound as ill-informed as possible...I think Dave Ellis has explained it better in the past.

I do miss what the BBC had, but because there's so many voids I can't watch it anymore. Especially when Ted Kravitz explains new aero updates with cool graphics and a Skypad, and Gary Anderson uses a clipboard and a biro. Gary Anderson is also quite dull as well, he's the kind of man who would sit in the corner of a backstreet pub and explain to you how the local ale was brewed in a 200-year old leather shoe.

My theory is that had Sky taken over the coverage after ITV, we'd be praising them because it is infinitely better than what they did. Unfortunately they'd had to follow on from the BBC, who produced some excellent coverage and lowered the bar considerably. They've kinda tried to copy what the BBC has done because it was quite successful, but put their own twist on it. I don't really know what more they could do to liven it up a bit, unless they did the coverage whilst parachuting 10,000 feet out of an aeroplane. Or replacing Hill with Allan McNish.

I've also been watching the GP2 as well; it's nice that I can watch qualifying then stay put for some racing.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: July 21, 2012 09:48PM
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> where can i download this f1 legends series from,
> guys ? thnx in advance

What's F1 legends?

Please remember that we don't promote illegal downloads here... if that's what you're asking!
Date: July 21, 2012 09:51PM
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> marcl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>I think Dave Ellis has explained it
> better in the past.

Is Dave Ellis still alive? I miss him so.

Anyway, for me, I like BBCs coverage (don't like Jake but got used to him). Love DC and loved the DC/Brundle combo we had last year. It is a massive shame they had to split :(

As to Sky - Meh. I love Brundle and BBC isn't the same without him but I don't like Ben Edwards, he shouts about nothing in particular and never shuts up. Brundle should be lead and him second, not the other way around.
Date: July 21, 2012 10:16PM
Posted by: J i m
loque Wrote:
> Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> -----
> > marcl Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >I think Dave Ellis has explained it
> > better in the past.
>
> Is Dave Ellis still alive? I miss him so.

Last time I saw Dave he was chatting to Allan McNish about haggis and Iron Bru and was certiainly still alive.

Date: July 22, 2012 01:37AM
BBC spoilt us, especially after ITV. It was too good to be true.. and it was! We only it for it two seasons :(

Yup, Simon Lazenby is the big issue for me. If you have that one anchor then the rest will fall into place IMO. And as for Croft, he... talks too much. It gets worse, he then does the f*cking press conference too!

I was hoping Dan would start some sort of campaign to bring James Allen back :p

Date: July 22, 2012 01:38AM
Also, a word on sky being free this weekend.

Indycars. Watch it.

Date: July 22, 2012 02:11AM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
chet Wrote:
> BBC spoilt us, especially after ITV. It was too
> good to be true.. and it was! We only it for it
> two seasons :(
>
> Yup, Simon Lazenby is the big issue for me. If you
> have that one anchor then the rest will fall into
> place IMO. And as for Croft, he... talks too much.
> It gets worse, he then does the f*cking press
> conference too!
>
> I was hoping Dan would start some sort of campaign
> to bring James Allen back :p

But WHO could anchor? (Please, god, let it be Jeff Stelling)

And no, not James Allen. I couldn't cope with any more James Allen...he and Nick Fry have the most horrendous voices ever.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: July 22, 2012 02:34AM
J i m Wrote:

> Last time I saw Dave he was chatting to Allan
> McNish about haggis and Iron Bru and was
> certiainly still alive.

Explain more!
Date: July 22, 2012 03:25PM
"Lewis Hamilon's first retirement this year and he will now want to erase the German Grand Prix from
his memory".

I guess Ben Edwards must have erased Valencia from his memory, too...
Date: July 22, 2012 03:27PM
Posted by: gav
David Croft. Edwards commentates for the BBC.
Date: July 22, 2012 06:10PM
Posted by: Monza972
In terms of anchors both are as bad each other. Lazenby tries to make some jokes here and there which get on your nerves as you get into the whole pre show but he IS atleast focused on the show and getting as much information as he can to the public.

Humphrey nowadays doesn't shut up about the fans. We get it you love the fans and want to give them exposure but please stick to the programming for the people at home. How abysmal was that F1 Forum for Silverstone? You had EJ playing a very bad rendition of The Chain, Murray Walker speaking for a bit, then sound problems and then just chatting to the fans (Who were mostly McLaren fans banging on about Lewis and Jenson). What a waste of an hour.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy