Sky Sports F1 HD

Posted by marwood82 
Re: Sky Sports F1 HD
Date: March 19, 2012 11:30AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
I decided to give myself another hour and a half in bed, so missed the pre-race build up. Didn't think it would be all that anyway. Going on what you guys have said I'm glad I didn't bother.

I did really enjoy Brundle and Crofty's commentary though, certainly didn't feel like their first race together. Although as has been pointed out, some silly mistakes were made like with the Sauber being confused for the Williams.

Agree that the post race stuff was poor though. I missed the BBC guys, EJ in particular ;)

Just to add to Dan's comment about musical choice, I think the BBC were always excellent in this respect. Two most notable being the end of season montage in 09 and 10.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 11:32AM by Ferrari2007.
Date: March 19, 2012 10:33PM
Posted by: gav
mclarenaustralia
Yeah he said he done 14 laps in it.

I thought he'd said 40 laps. Meh, either way, surely there's more to come.
Date: March 19, 2012 11:56PM
Posted by: FRESCO
Yeh he did deffo say 40.

Date: April 09, 2012 01:51PM
Posted by: EC83
So does anyone know what happened for the stream to crash during the Malaysian GP? I thought it must be something to do with Sky to begin with, but then I noticed the stream was back up again soon afterwards, so maybe just a technical fault.

Date: April 10, 2012 05:27PM
Posted by: J i m
My first thought was "@#$%&, we've been rumbled already" but it seems it was just generic web unreliablity.

Date: April 14, 2012 07:28AM
Just heard someone on Sky ask the most retarded question ever: "Who's Chuck Norris?" :o

Date: April 15, 2012 10:45PM
After seeing the BBC's first live broadcast this year, I've got to say I'm impressed with the job DC is doing as Martin Brundle's replacement. They're bloody big shoes to fill but he's going a long way towards it. I'm loving his chilled out demeanor and he was noticing things quickly too - like Hamilton's "weaving".

Apart from the obvious absence of Martin, the BBC live coverage seems to be as strong as ever, and as an overall package it makes Sky's coverage look @#$%& IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2012 10:46PM by EC83.
Date: April 15, 2012 10:57PM
Edwards has been strong too.

We've been waiting a decade to get him inside of the commentary booth (it was idiocy him not being Murray's replacement) and now he's got it, I can't see anyone grabbing it from him for a while. He's still a touch rusty, the team being slightly slow on a few things, but I guess with the barrage of info you get in F1, and the speed it comes to you, that does take a bit of getting used to.

The only other guy I can think of worthy of the seat is Brundle, and clearly he's made his choices.

I like the Brundle/Croft combination and I like the Edwards/Coulthard one. Gary Anderson is letting the BBC down a bit. It's like they don't really know what role to give him yet. And there's not been enough Lee McKenzie yet, though I'm sure that will be rectified when Humphries is off on Olympics duty. ;)
Date: April 15, 2012 11:15PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I missed the Sky build-up so I could get more sleep...worth it.

Enjoyed Johnny Herbert's input, definitely more charismatic than Damon Hill.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: April 15, 2012 11:51PM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gary Anderson is
> letting the BBC down a bit. It's like they don't
> really know what role to give him yet.

I'm sure EJ is on a mission to get the BBC to hire all his old team personnel and employees. They'll bring Eddie Irvine in as a commentator next. :P

I think Lee should get the position Gary is currently in; As you say, she'll probably sub for Jake over the summer, as she capably did at Suzuka in 2010(I think). Her ability is being wasted somewhat at the moment.

I like Ben Edwards too. He's still having moments when he goes a bit flat or makes the odd mistake, but yeah, that'll probably iron itself out as he gets himself back into the way of live commentating. He can be fairly funny too. I've enjoyed watching the old videos from the 1990s of him and John Watson commentating on Eurosport.

Date: April 16, 2012 11:24AM
Yeah... They haven't really defined Anderson's role yet, it's a bit mis mashed, but he's steadily getting better at getting his information across to the viewer. I think on the whole he's a good addition.

Lee needs to be allowed to flowish a bit more but at least she's there for her Motorsport creditials, unlike Georgie Thompson who I still struggle to see the point of really.

Date: April 16, 2012 11:25AM
Posted by: elpasho2005f1
EC83 Wrote:
> After seeing the BBC's first live broadcast this
> year, I've got to say I'm impressed with the job
> DC is doing as Martin Brundle's replacement.
> They're bloody big shoes to fill but he's going a
> long way towards it. I'm loving his chilled out
> demeanor and he was noticing things quickly too -
> like Hamilton's "weaving".
>
> Apart from the obvious absence of Martin, the BBC
> live coverage seems to be as strong as ever, and
> as an overall package it makes Sky's coverage look
> @#$%& IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree. I had both Sky and BBC on and was mostly watching the beeb's coverage. All the talk of Brundle leaving BBC because he wanted something technical.... yet Sky is going back in the scenes of Vettel doing kung fu.... waste of 2 hours of pre race build-up. BBC just got to the point and did a great job. Really impressed with Ben and DC in the commentary box, a lot of enthusiasm which I appreciated. Sky need to get rid of Georgie thompson and Simon Lazenby IMO, dragging their production down. So far, BBCF1> SLYF1

also, check out the bbc f1 forum, 43:20 hilarious:

[www.bbc.co.uk]
Date: April 16, 2012 03:31PM
Posted by: davidm
They won't get rid of Lazenby and Georgie because they are original Sky employees, no doubt with ongoing contracts and well established there. Its actually Lazenby I can't stand, I think Georgie does an okay job and on the weekly show with Ted.

Lazenby is appalling in the interviews and when they are finished the interviewee seems like they have to scuttle off and on camera - very poor, the Beeb are way better at this. I did chuckle at Johnny Herbert - he almost matches Mark Blundell for the bad grammar award.
Date: April 16, 2012 06:14PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
(From the Chinese GP thread as it's more relevant here)

loque Wrote:
> Who's the other bloke commentating with Brundle on
> Sky?? Every time I switch that audio on he's
> raving and blethering on about nothing in
> particular... less of him required and more of
> Brundle, I think....

Quite. (I don't know if anyone else noticed, but he seems to say that way too much - it seems every commentator has an annoying habit - Lewisteria, catch phrases, poor driver name pronounciation etc.)

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Croft so far in his current role. I guess if he came after Legard it may've been OK, but after a great year of commentary with DC and Brundle, it's a step backwards in my opinion.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 16, 2012 09:38PM
Posted by: marcl
A lot of people are also moaning about Ben on the BBC, this was one of the reasons I did not stick with the BBC I cannot stand him.

The Sky coverage has got no better, the stuff after the race is so boring they just cover the same things for an hour.

This weekend the BBC got all the interviews 1st on the red button show.

Sky need to up their game big time.

Also they got totally thrashed this weekend on the viewing figures and I mean thrashed. By all accounts 4 million watched the BBC less than a million watched SKY. Its just not working at all.
Date: April 17, 2012 12:00AM
Maybe that's what happens when a) you try and footballise F1 and b) charge a silly price for the privilege.

I think Ben Edwards has been excellent.. he pocesses just the right amount of excitedness without being grating. James Allen is good when used as the pit-lane pundit role, less so as commentator but not as annoying as he was for the ITV.

Other than that the BBC have retained the tone of 2009-11 which made their F1 coverage so watchable.

SKY has some good aspects namely Brundle & Kravitz.. But it's let down by the sterile presentation. Georgie is ok doing here little magazine show.. In that clearly she knows how to present a programme, but she's not really a motor racing person.

Date: April 18, 2012 03:17AM
If we were talking in terms of drinks, Georgie reminds me of a pint of Tennent's - blonde and a bit frothy, you could down her in a few moments if you wanted to and those moments would be great, but there wouldn't be any nice aftertaste or outstanding lasting memories. Lee reminds me of Guinness or fine wine - dark and refined and sophisticated, meant to be savoured, guaranteed to leave you with a warm glow and a smile.

Or something. ;)

Date: April 18, 2012 07:47AM
Is it scary that that is the best post in this thread?
Date: April 18, 2012 04:17PM
Posted by: chet
EC83 Wrote:
> If we were talking in terms of drinks, Georgie
> reminds me of a pint of Tennent's - blonde and a
> bit frothy, you could down her in a few moments if
> you wanted to and those moments would be great,
> but there wouldn't be any nice aftertaste or
> outstanding lasting memories. Lee reminds me of
> Guinness or fine wine - dark and refined and
> sophisticated, meant to be savoured, guaranteed to
> leave you with a warm glow and a smile.
>
> Or something. ;)

Surely in the top 10 best posts of all time? Could not have been explained any better, or with any better a metaphor :p.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 18, 2012 10:41PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
honestly guys, i ve been watching the bbc and sky coverages, and in my view lee also asks some pretty trivial questions. Very often shte only asks a driver "sum up your race" or " how do you feel". Well we ve been watching for 2 hours, i guess we dont need anyone to sum uop his RACE for us. Since raikkonen dropped from 2nd to 14 th it is also unnecessary to ask "how do you feel". There are so much better questiions she could ask. I agree on the statement that lee is better than georgie, still i dont regard Lee as a top journalist, concerning the content of the questions she asks the drivers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy