Sky Sports F1 HD

Posted by marwood82 
Re: Sky Sports F1 HD
Date: March 09, 2012 07:29PM
Posted by: J i m
I broadly agree... If they offers a F1 only subscription then I'd probably go for it.

Because weather I think much of SKY or not, they do have in Brundle, Rider, Kravitz decent people in their field who are each well worth watching.

From what I see I assume is this dedicatd f1 channel (I'm watching on vipbox which I'm pleased to report is working well) is quite a good idea, because it's playing on a loop so you're not likely to miss much.

Rider's F1 legends looks good and much more reminiscent of his time on the original bbc grand prix than his itv stint, they've only shown a mini interview with Emerson Firtipaldi so far but it was done nicely, other that that it's the time-lapse of the Williams and Caterham builds and some trailers.

Date: March 09, 2012 07:36PM
Posted by: Muks_C
anyone with an xbox and xbox live gold membership, you just need the account details of someone in your family (or a friend) and you can watch it. my sister has the sky movies package, plus HD, so her sky go account has the f1 channel, which i'm using through my xbox. just watching snippets of the various shows they will will have, and they look great. they will have a whole F1 Legends series, where Steve Ryder will interview the greats of the sport. and looking at tomorrow's listings, they will have car launches and winter testing footage.

the picture quality is very good, it looks almost HD, and better than some non-HD channels i have through Virgin Media. i'm watching on a 47" LG and i have Virgin Media broadband so it's streaming at a high quality.

for a better price i would have subscribed, i would then have the facility to record. but i'm grateful i can at least watch it.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 09, 2012 10:58PM
Posted by: marcl
That was rather boring tbh
Date: March 09, 2012 11:04PM
Some it was... But there was a great deal of quality in there. All in all a good start, but they're definitely missing a trick by not offering a F1 only sky go ticket.

The Steve Ryder interviews look like being really food.. Possibly because he's allowed to be Steve Ryder and not simply the annoying Lewis Hamilton fanboy ITV turned him into.

Date: March 10, 2012 12:12AM
i thought it was really good tbh, had a good enough level of detail for the casual or new follower, but not dumbed down too much for us die hard fans. even the adverts didn't bother as the quality of the content was good. never seen that simon bloke before but he seemed comfortable and pretty natural. i already don't miss DC and EJ. DC was a bit boring and EJ would just start rambling about something without much of a point. jake would have been a nice addition but it's looking good without him so far. i like all the CGI bits they had, and the skypad thing was good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2012 02:27AM by Muks_C.
Date: March 10, 2012 12:49AM
Posted by: marcl
Yes I really liked that pad they had etc.
Date: March 10, 2012 08:02PM
Posted by: EC83
Just tested it for the first time on VipBox - W00t w00t!! This looks promising so far :)

Date: March 10, 2012 08:33PM
It's been really reliable so far, good quality. Just the ocassional stutter etc probably more due to my laptop and connection.

Date: March 11, 2012 08:18AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some it was... But there was a great deal of
> quality in there. All in all a good start, but
> they're definitely missing a trick by not offering
> a F1 only sky go ticket.

I reckon they will in a year or two, but for now they'd want to draw as many people into a full subscription.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 11, 2012 08:53AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Muks which account details??? The Sky subscription ones?

I didn't know this.
Date: March 11, 2012 10:15AM
SchueyFan Wrote:
> J i m Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Some it was... But there was a great deal of
> > quality in there. All in all a good start, but
> > they're definitely missing a trick by not
> offering
> > a F1 only sky go ticket.
>
> I reckon they will in a year or two, but for now
> they'd want to draw as many people into a full
> subscription.

Maybe, but if they are then alienating part of the market. They're assuming that people with no interest in sports or tv in general will sign up to either sky hd or sky sports simply to watch f1 and hence pay to have something which they're not going to use. It's a bit like Ford instructing all their dealers not to sell any cars for a couple of years in the hope people will get bored of waiting and buy a transit instead. That'd never happen because unless you're a tradesman who on earth would want/need/use one?

Many people have said that if they offered an F1 only deal at a reasonable price they'd probably subscribe to it. Delaying that by a couple of years will not persuade us to sign up to a full package it'll simply push us towards the dodgy net streams.

Date: March 11, 2012 12:27PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
J i m Wrote:
> Maybe, but if they are then alienating part of the
> market. They're assuming that people with no
> interest in sports or tv in general will sign up
> to either sky hd or sky sports simply to watch f1
> and hence pay to have something which they're not
> going to use. It's a bit like Ford instructing all
> their dealers not to sell any cars for a couple of
> years in the hope people will get bored of waiting
> and buy a transit instead. That'd never happen
> because unless you're a tradesman who on earth
> would want/need/use one?
>
> Many people have said that if they offered an F1
> only deal at a reasonable price they'd probably
> subscribe to it. Delaying that by a couple of
> years will not persuade us to sign up to a full
> package it'll simply push us towards the dodgy net
> streams.

Well people with no interests in sport or TV will probably be happy to watch highlights on BBC anyway, or not watch anything at all, they're not really part of the target market.

Once Sky presumably start to shut down net streams, and people realise how unreliable they can be, I'm sure that this will tip some people over the edge into signing up for a full subscription.

I don't know the maths because I have no idea about Sky's pricing, but it would probably take several people going for a F1-only deal to get the same profit as if someone paid for a full subscription. So they obviously want to maximise the full subscriptions, and I think they'll try and limit the options to watch F1 so they can get as many people into this as they can. I'm sure they'll offer some sort of F1-specific deal at some point - maybe even later this season - to capitalise on those who don't like having to watch it online.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 11, 2012 11:01PM
Posted by: danm
So.... in an effort to save money.... the BBC.. sorry... UK money from OUR pockets has covered the cost of YET ANOTHER pointless singing talent show...

...at a cost of £22million.

WTF.

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 12, 2012 12:04AM
Yeah.. I have no interest in that kind of stuff but I can't deney that popular culture likes that kind of thing. Perhaps they should get rid of bbc3 since it only shows crap (family guy excepted).

Date: March 12, 2012 12:59AM
Posted by: matt3454
family guy especially! That show is just turd now!

Date: March 12, 2012 08:16AM
Posted by: gav
£22m for a show that's supposed to highlight nobodies and catapult them into the limelight? So basically you're paying £21.5m to the judges and the rest on the set, production, etc?
Date: March 12, 2012 11:39AM
loque Wrote:
> Muks which account details??? The Sky subscription
> ones?
>
> I didn't know this.

a Sky subscriber's Sky Go account details. in my case, my sister has the movies package and pays extra for HD. as a result, she gets F1 free on her tv package and in her Sky Go account. i have an XBox Live Gold account so i can see the various apps that are available. Using my sisters login name and password, i can access Sky Go through XBox Live and watch the F1 channel. i can also see the movie channels she gets, but none of the sports channels, apart from F1 (if she had the sports package and not the movies package i'd get the sports channels instead of the movies through Sky Go).

if you know anyone that has Sky ask them if you can use their Sky Go account for XBox Live, if you have an XBox and XBox Live account.

Date: March 12, 2012 06:17PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
GENIUS. That might have been me sorted, except the one friend I had with Sky has since moved to Virgin. Epic fail.
Date: March 12, 2012 06:32PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
gav Wrote:
> £22m for a show that's supposed to highlight
> nobodies and catapult them into the limelight? So
> basically you're paying £21.5m to the judges and
> the rest on the set, production, etc?

It's absolute bullshit really, isn't it? Can't believe the BBC have sold out like this...oh wait, yes I can.

We already have X-Factor and Britain's Got Nutcases, there's really no need for something else which is essentially the same.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 12, 2012 08:09PM
Posted by: chet
Apparently that's what the public want's :(

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy