Re: 2009 car launches thread
Date: January 26, 2009 01:13AM
Posted by: chet
That #4 looks pretty cool!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 26, 2009 11:30AM
Posted by: marcl
It all depends how you read it, but a few teams have said there are a few things on the Ferrari which need looking at.

1 the exhaust
2 the supports for the mirrors, there form an areo device.

The exhaust are being covered under the areo rule which makes it clear about body work. They are allowed cooling vents but thats it, both Ferrari and BMW have exhausts coming out of the body work and this is meant to be against the rules according to Mclaren, Toyota and Williams.

Also in other news both ING and RBS are reviewing there F1 budgets, I dont think they can pull out straight away without a massive compensation bill.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 11:57AM by marcl.
Date: January 26, 2009 12:43PM
Posted by: Stan
Of Course the supports of the mirrors are an aero device otherwise they wouldnt be there ;-) but they are in an area that is allowed to have them, for example look at what BMW have done

Courtesy of F11technical

Being located so close to the car's centre line, this falls just within the regulations. Article 3.8.4 states (among other notices) that no openings are allowed in "the volume between the rear face of the cockpit entry template and 450mm forward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template, which is more than 350mm from the car centre line and more than 100mm above the reference plane.". Hence, in the area closer than 350mm from the car's centre line, shark gills or any other opening of any kind is permitted as before.

The Aero Rules dont ban stuff by name as the teams could say they are something else but they give measurements of what is permited in certain areas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 12:45PM by Stan.
Date: January 26, 2009 12:46PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
From what Ive read, teams are complaining not that the exhausts are on show but the length of the exhaust extrusion, as this can considered an aero device. Ferrari have now shortened the exhaust outlets and I havent heard any complaints about the BMW in that area.

Date: January 26, 2009 12:56PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Ferrari would kind of want to sort out that number dilemma, it's the kind of pointless, minor issue that could cause them grief with the FIA.

Also in other news both ING and RBS are reviewing there F1 budgets, I dont think they can pull out straight away without a massive compensation bill

It'd be awesome if ING did pull out and paid the fine. Then Renault would probably just paint their car in the Renault colours, unless they found a new major sponsor.
Date: January 26, 2009 12:57PM
Posted by: Stan
That would be awsome news as well as Nelson would get the boot ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 12:58PM by Stan.
Date: January 26, 2009 01:03PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Stan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That would be awsome news as well as Nelson would
> get the boot ;)

And I would boot you for saying that

Date: January 26, 2009 03:53PM
Posted by: Frantic
And I would boot you for booting him ;)

Date: January 26, 2009 03:58PM
now bernie wants 3 cars for top teams

[en.f1-live.com]

Date: January 26, 2009 04:32PM
Posted by: The Lopper
The thing about ING reviewing their Renault sponsorship is there as well...

Is it a bit much to be asking the teams to field three cars now? I know there was talk about it before, but I mean it's practically February, if Bernie'd made this clearer before Christmas it'd be easier to implement. At this stage it's likely to be very rushed, both from a regulation and a team point of view.
Date: January 26, 2009 04:36PM
May Bernie has the idea that having a team today its the same as 70s when he had Brabham...

Date: January 26, 2009 08:42PM
Posted by: gav
We'll ignore the fact that many, if not most teams have relieved their test staff of their duties in the wake of the increasingly limited test schedule in recent years.

Some teams will have to remploy members at very short notice if 3 cars were to happen. It goes against everything that the FIA and teams have been fighting for (if to varying degrees), in terms of cutting costs. It's a complete mess. It'd be easier to just allow customer chassis, but perhaps penalise teams for using them (such as start the season on -10 points or something, or make them carry an extra 15kg ballast or something). At least until the costs of participating are brought down to an acceptable level and/or the Western and Eastern economies have recovered.

He might not sound worried, but Bernie's clearly getting a bit hot under the collar. Clearly he's not at all confident that Honda have a buyer in place (there are only 5 days to go now, yeah?) and only 18 cars would be @#$%&, and he knows it. 20 cars was relatively sparse anyway. It'll be BTCC grids soon. Less moving billboards = worse for everyone involved.
Date: January 26, 2009 11:37PM
Posted by: Monza972
Bruninho Wrote:
> Stan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That would be awsome news as well as Nelson
> would
> > get the boot ;)
>
> And I would boot you for saying that

I think you should boot yourself sir ;), I mean if Nelson went your other dude may come in. Mr Bruno Senna ;-)
Date: January 27, 2009 12:23AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
nd only 18 cars would be @#$%&, and he knows it. 20 cars was relatively sparse anyway.

I was thinking that, and realised...would it be? Is losing Honda going to actually make a difference to the race itself? Ignoring the economic impacts and the threats of Toyota and Renault going for now. But I don't think the races would be any better or worse without Honda. All they did was potter around the back all year, and every so often provide a bit of a laugh by being complete morons in only a way Honda could ever do. If they didn't tell us they were leaving, and we went to Albert Park, would anyone notice they are gone? The paddock may even be a happier place since nobody would have to look at Nick Frys smug f**king puss.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 27, 2009 12:26AM
Posted by: Nickv
When BAR were banned for two races, there were also only 18 cars on the track IIRC. I hardly noticed they weren't there. I didn't miss them.
Date: January 27, 2009 01:07AM
Posted by: tripleM
losing Honda is not the worst thing that ever happened to F1

not being able to find a backer by Melbourne OTOH would be seriously bad

Date: January 27, 2009 01:09AM
The Fact is:

in 1988: 18 teams with 30 cars
in 1998: 11 teams with 22 cars
started 2008 with 11 teams and 22 cars, finished with 10 and 20 cars and we´re gonna probably start 2009 with 9 teams and 18 cars

They -Ecclestone/CVC Capital Partners/others- killed the sport?

Date: January 27, 2009 01:39AM
Posted by: tripleM
of the 18 teams of 1988 7 of them closed within the next 5 years

of the 11 teams of 1998 9 of them competed in 2008

of the current 2009 grid 8 out of the 9 teams competed in 1998 and 5 competed in 1988

those are also the facts

and honestly i am not even going to attempt to my spin on them

Date: January 27, 2009 04:36AM
Posted by: chet
DaveEllis Wrote:
> nd only 18 cars would be @#$%&, and he knows it.
> 20 cars was relatively sparse anyway.
>
> I was thinking that, and realised...would it be?
> Is losing Honda going to actually make a
> difference to the race itself? Ignoring the
> economic impacts and the threats of Toyota and
> Renault going for now. But I don't think the races
> would be any better or worse without Honda. All
> they did was potter around the back all year, and
> every so often provide a bit of a laugh by being
> complete morons in only a way Honda could ever do.
> If they didn't tell us they were leaving, and we
> went to Albert Park, would anyone notice they are
> gone? The paddock may even be a happier place
> since nobody would have to look at Nick Frys smug
> f**king puss.

Your opinions are based on one season alone.

Whats not to say they could have been front runners in 2009?

Iam not saying they would have been but, it is impossible to base a teams significance on a seasons performance.

Minardi were utter shite but we loved them... Jos the boss had pershaps the biggest F1 fan base in the sport whilst he was competing...

Honda F1 mattered to alot of people, maybe not you, but certainly to many people, and alot more than you proberly think. Just as much as Ferrari, Mercedes and BMW.

Do not base ones popularity on performance over one season or just generally performance.

To you Honda did not mean anything, like others, but to me RedBull dont really provide much significance, again an opinion shared by not only me.

Dave for someone of such a respected opinion your argument in that post was very poor and for you very childish and not well thought out. Normally you post something worth reading and generally worthwhile and useful. However what you posted was simply an opinion not a fact nor observation and uttlery usless to the discussion.

The fact is Honda WILL be missed and ARE being missed atm. Bernie himself has proved that.

Nick - you didnt notice them but who cares? Alot of people did.

Like I said, as an example, if RedBull missed two races I would not notice. But others will. Alot of others.

In this case personal opinion means jack and is about as useful as Gui ;)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 27, 2009 04:39AM
Posted by: SAMF1
this is williams last year of using the toyota engine......would they thinking of changing next

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 04:49AM by SAMF1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy