FIA readying ‘radical proposals’ for 2010 budgets

Posted by flat tyre 
FIA readying ‘radical proposals’ for 2010 budgets
Date: February 27, 2009 02:36PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, announced Friday that it is preparing radical rule change proposals for 2010, designed to allow teams to be competitive on a fraction of the current budgets.

The proposals, which will be considered by the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council next month, are intended to enable new teams to join the sport, as well as securing the future of existing independent constructors.

The FIA statement in full:
"In view of the difficult economic conditions which continue to affect Formula One sponsors and major car manufacturers, the FIA is preparing radical proposals for 2010.

"If adopted by the World Motor Sport Council, the new regulations will enable a team to compete for a fraction of current budgets but nevertheless field cars which can match those of the established teams.

"These regulations will not affect the established teams which now have stable backing from the major car manufacturers, but will enable new teams to fill the existing vacancies on the grid for 2010 and make it less likely that any team will be forced to leave the Championship.

"The proposals will be submitted to the World Council on 17 March."

[www.formula1.com]

Maybe this will safeguard the survival of Williams and the former Honda team. Good news for new entries, too, such as USF1. Let's hope that we can make a return to the 80s-90s when private teams thrived.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Re: FIA readying ‘radical proposals’ for 2010 budgets
Date: February 27, 2009 02:40PM
Posted by: Nickv
Judging by the statement it can't be a budget cap, since it 'won't affect the current teams'. I'm curious what they've come up with.
Date: February 27, 2009 03:08PM
Posted by: J i m
Probably standardised parts and/or more technology share between teams. Maybe not full customer chassis, but off the shelf parts, at affordable prices of course.

Perhaps even opening up avenues for Dallara, Lola etc to be involved again with providing chassis etc.
Date: February 27, 2009 03:15PM
Posted by: Frantic
I dont want more standarised things... but Jim´s right

Date: February 27, 2009 03:15PM
Posted by: marcl
Customer cars I recon.

I really do not see why people make sure a big deal out of it tbh, Williams even used a bought car when they started.

As long as the new teams who buy them run them and maintain them I really dont see what the problem is. I would rather see 26 competitive cars on the track than 18 with 2 of them off the pace.

This way we get to keep teams like STR, if Vettel had not won in Italy last year it would have been yet another top car winning.
Date: February 27, 2009 03:20PM
Posted by: Nickv
It depends on what gets standardised really. If the FIA come up with a standard suspension, we won't notice. The main reason that we don't want standardised parts is that we can SEE that cars have the same parts. If the FIA would quitely standardise suspensions, a lot of us wouldn't even notice (given that all teams comply with those rules, obviously).
Date: February 27, 2009 03:25PM
Posted by: chet
Aside from brakes I dont really think it would be in the spirit of the sport to standardize anything else.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Formula 1: The pinnacle of motor-racing.

Hoepfully they won't overstandardise things. That said, if it makes it easier for the smaller teams, then I guess it's a good thing.
Date: February 27, 2009 03:49PM
Posted by: J i m
Standardised parts may be against the spirit of innovation etc, however the best drivers and best engineers would still win, just like it is now.
i'll be surprised if they go full on down the customer car route as
the 'you have to build your own car' rule is one of the things that makes F1 special.

I'd imagine it'd be standardised components of some form or another,
Max has been arguing for a while that there are plenty of components on modern F1 cars that add a great deal to the cost and very little to the show.

personally I'd just like them to make F1 a bit appealing to new entries from a costs point of view.
so teams in the likes of GP2, F3 etc could have the opportunity to move up into F1 without bankrupting themselves before the first race.

maybe USF1 could be a team to watch on this front?
Whilst they could end up as an epic fail, if they are able to pull off what they're planning maybe we will see some more teams enter in a similar fashion?
This is pretty interesting.

What hit me the most was the start...

£100,000 for an engine!!

[www.veoh.com]

What have we become in this modern era?

chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is pretty interesting.
>
> What hit me the most was the start...
>
> £100,000 for an engine!!
>
> [www.veoh.com]
> atch%3Dv428223BdjGTzxJ
>
> What have we become in this modern era?

isn't that fairly cheap considering road cars can cost around £1m?

I think he means he's shocked by how little the engine costs compared to today
I don't know? When I was at TVR it cost us £8000 to build the Speed Six engine. Whilst I was there I also found out that we could buy the small block Chevy V8 direct from GM for £4000 ready to go. So I think £100,000 is a bit steep just for an engine even if it is a bispoke race engine.

Incidently the V12 we put in the Speed 12 went as a whole car (only 2 road cars ever built and both with hand built engines (by that I mean hand machined blocks too!!!)) for only slightly more than £100,000. Put's it in perspective a bit !
Date: March 08, 2009 11:45AM
Posted by: gav
The manufacturing cost of the engine will remain comparatively low. When you start factoring in the designers and R&D (less of them now, but they're very much still working), the KERS boffins now, engineers and support staff at the circuit, bench testing and so on it quickly adds up. That's certainly where the money went in previous years, not the cost of the engine itself.
Date: March 08, 2009 12:27PM
Posted by: IWE
chet Wrote:
> Aside from brakes I dont really think it would be
> in the spirit of the sport to standardize anything
> else.

Driver salaries.. Everybody is taking same risk on track and those with more poor car propably even more than "top drivers". Sure "top drivers" say they should get more than those who are out from points all the time, but I think standing on podium is enought big prize for them.

Like old news said: [en.f1-live.com]

One proposal has been a mandatory driver salary cap for teams, but F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone denies that such a measure will be necessary.

"If the teams don't offer the money, there is no need for a salary cap," he told the German news agency DPA.

Same way I can say if teams wont put so much money for engines or developing cars, there is no need for these limitations. But sure I know it would effect to glamour level of F1 when drivers would lose their model "girlfriends/wifes" and this is propably one big reason why bernie is not doing anything. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
gav Wrote:
> The manufacturing cost of the engine will remain
> comparatively low. When you start factoring in the
> designers and R&D (less of them now, but they're
> very much still working), the KERS boffins now,
> engineers and support staff at the circuit, bench
> testing and so on it quickly adds up. That's
> certainly where the money went in previous years,
> not the cost of the engine itself.

I worked that out, there is alot more going on today, but £100,000???!!! Even then, it seems anyone could build an F1 car!

At the same time, Sennas salary also shocked me, it was more than I thought!!

Standardize salaries?

Not a good idea. Does Piquet deserve the same amount as Alonso? :p

Date: March 08, 2009 12:33PM
Posted by: IWE
chet Wrote:
> Standardize salaries?
>
> Not a good idea. Does Piquet deserve the same
> amount as Alonso? :p

Atleast then Renault might start to think seriously if Piquet really is worth of keeping.. ;-)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
I hope they're cutting down on PR, advertising, launch costs, 1st class air travel, hotel and dining expenses, or as Blackadder might sneakily demand, 'stamp duty, window tax, swamp insurance...'
Chet, Senna was unhappy with not getting the Williams seat and was very discouraged by the car. He played Ron Dennis very well and got his US$1 mi/race deal ;-).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy