Engine HP List?

Posted by Nemesis78 
Engine HP List?
Date: March 08, 2009 01:21PM
Posted by: Nemesis78
Anyone got a reasonably accurate power list for last years engines? It's the sort of thing F1 Racing used to do before they became cack and I stopped buying it.

e.g.

Ferrari 800HP
BMW 780
Honda 770

etc etc

Cheers.
Re: Engine HP List?
Date: March 08, 2009 07:07PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
HP lists are 100% speculation. These stats aren't released. However if F1 is only at 800hp there is something wrong, as even NASCAR is touching over 900hp in the big lazy wrecks now.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 08, 2009 09:07PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
@DaveEllis: Consider the fact that when F1 engines were reduced to 2.4l, it was a 20% reduction in the then-power of the V10s, about 900-1000 bhp was quoted for 2004/2005. 800 bhp these days is a good target to aim at for the V8s because they're rev-limited to 18k rpm, so the peak power / torque generated will be shifted to a different rev-range.

EDIT: Re: NASCAR engines, the powers have only increased in the last year or 2 thanks to Toyota and NASCAR's recklessness with regard to engine sizes. I mean, who has an 8.4l V8 engine doing 9000 rpm in their saloon car? IMO 6-7l is fine for NASCAR, gives them more of a cushion with regard to car speeds which nudge 210 without restrictor plates on the really quick ovals (Michigan for instance) and is a more realistic real-world engine size for a stock car.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2009 09:10PM by turkey_machine.
Date: March 08, 2009 09:30PM
e: NASCAR engines, the powers have only increased in the last year or 2 thanks to Toyota and NASCAR's recklessness with regard to engine sizes.

I am REALLY tired of reading that, just because Jack Roush is moaning little prat. No, NASCAR engines have not significantly improved in power since Toyota. Jack Roush just says that because Toyota is well funded and he claims he can't compete with them (despite being equally well funded by John Henry...). Toyota is not the anti-christ and should not be blamed for the costs of NASCAR Rising - teams like Hendrick, Roush and RCR are more to blame.

NASCAR engines are 358 cubic inches (5.86 liters) and based on an engine block from the 1960s. F1 is based on up to date technology, with the same layout and a higher rev range. I'd be surprised if they aren't approaching 900hp now, even with the engine freeze. Don't know what Michigan or Restrictor Plates have to do with it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 08, 2009 09:50PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Toyota have pushed NASCARs far better than Dodge, Chevrolet and Ford have done in the past 5 years, just look at how quick the cars are compared to the others, especially in the hands of Kyle Busch. They exploit the rules (and presumably the loopholes) in ways others don't dare to do. My comment was just from what I've seen of NASCAR in the last year or so, and Toyota are the dominant car in terms of raw speed, Chevrolet have the reliability (especially where Toyota doesn't), and Dodge and Ford seem to be lagging a little bit in both areas, which is embarrassing on their part because they're getting beaten by a Japanese company at their own game! Granted a Ford leads the standings currently, but still....

I wasn't aware the NASCAR Cup engines were that large, but I believe that the Nationwide cars have a smaller engine, have about 10-20mph less on the top speed, and are inherently safer from reduced speeds, CoT or not.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 08, 2009 10:16PM
Toyota have pushed NASCARs far better than Dodge, Chevrolet and Ford have done in the past 5 years, just look at how quick the cars are compared to the others, especially in the hands of Kyle Busch.

There is only 1 fast Toyota, Kyle Busch. However there are countless fast Chevrolets, even in the hands of drivers which aren't really that fast. Toyota are no faster than anyone else, and certainly are not as good as Chevrolet. Kyle Busch is faster than everyone else (and according to Jeff Gordon, might have the best car control of any NASCAR driver in history). As soon as you look at the other Toyotas it all looks far less impressive. Don't be fooled by Reutimann and Waltrip being high in the standings. It has been an unusual start to the year and they will drop, the same as every year.

They exploit the rules (and presumably the loopholes) in ways others don't dare to do.

[Citation Needed]. I'd like to know how Toyota exploit the rules more than Jimmie Johnsons questionable shocks, or Biffles rear being too high one week, then wrecking after the checker next week. I suggest you go read up on Chad Kanus before suggesting that nobody exploits rules like Toyota.

My comment was just from what I've seen of NASCAR in the last year or so, and Toyota are the dominant car in terms of raw speed, Chevrolet have the reliability (especially where Toyota doesn't)

You can't generalize NASCAR reliability by badges. A Toyota engine in the Gibbs car is not the same as the Toyota engine in the Waltrip car. One is TRD, the other isn't. Similarly, Roush-Yates engines are different to Ford engines, and same goes for Hendrick. Fords reliability for example looks poor because of last week when Roush had 4 failures throughout the weekend. This was simply through taking the wrong rear axel ratio to the circuit and causing the car to run 200rpm more than normal for the entire weekend, well outside the safe operating range. The other cars running the package (Yates) were just fine (in fact, one of them finished 5th...)

In terms of speed, Ford aren't lagging behind at all. The Roush Fords are at the front every week without fail. They won the first 2 races of the year for goodness sake. Dodge have always struggled. They won the title with Penske simply because that is Penske. You can't judge Toyota being good by saying the Dodge is bad.

If you can say Toyota are good because Kyle Busch runs well, then why can't we say Dodge are good because Kurt Busch runs well?

As for Chevrolet, you can't say they are much better than Ford. On a normal day a Hendrick Chevrolet is equal to a Roush Ford. The only reason Chevrolets look more impressive is there is a lot of them. Look at them - Hendrick, RCR, Stewart-Haas, Earnhardt-Ganassi. With that many good teams (all running a lot of cars), of course Chevrolet locks out most of the top slots.

which is embarrassing on their part because they're getting beaten by a Japanese company at their own game!

Toyota employs more Americans then Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet. They build more cars in American than those 3, and of all the car models represented in NASCAR (Impala, Fusion, Camry, Charger) have a guess which one is the one built in America? The Camry is the best selling car in the US, and on its own has sold more than Chrysler's entire range. Nationality means jack, and Toyota has a bigger positive effect on America than the rest, especially given the financial issues in Detroit at the moment.

I wasn't aware the NASCAR Cup engines were that large, but I believe that the Nationwide cars have a smaller engine, have about 10-20mph less on the top speed, and are inherently safer from reduced speeds, CoT or not.

Nationwide cars are not safer than the current Sprint Cup car in any way. Everything about them is slightly more unsafe. The driver seat is closer to the door, the roof structure isn't as well designed, it doesn't have the foam in the doors (which incidentally is similar to the foam in the SAFER barriers), and even the bumpers don't line up correctly, meaning it is too easy to jack the car off the ground. Just because it is 10mph slower in a straight line, doesn't make it safer.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2009 10:23PM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 08, 2009 10:23PM
Posted by: phantaman
speculating ... at the beginning of the 2006 season (so 2 years ago):

1.Cosworth 2.4 V8 (Williams)
bhp: 754
Qrpm: 19.800
Rrpm: 19.100

2. Honda 2.4 V8 (Honda)
bhp: 730
Qrpm: 19.300
Rrpm: 18.500

3.Ferrari 2.4 V8 (Ferrari, RedBull)
bhp: 730
Qrpm: 19.200
Rrpm: 18.200

4.Cosworth 3.0 V10 (Scuderia Toro Rosso)
bhp: 725
Qrpm: 16.700
Rrpm: 16.700

5. Toyota 2.4 V8 (Toyota, Midland)
bhp: 720
Qrpm: 19.200
Rrpm: 18.200

6. Renault 2.4 V8 (Renault)
bhp: 720
Qrpm: 19.100
Rrpm: 18.300

7. BMW 2.4 V8 (BMW)
bhp: 715
Qrpm: 18.900
Rrpm: 18.100

8. Mercedes 2.4 V8 (McLaren)
bhp: 710
Qrpm: 18.200
Rrpm: 17.500

source: unknown magazine :p

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
Date: March 09, 2009 04:12PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
this line from a f1-live article gives an idea of the spread between good and bad engines...

"Part of the reason for the impressive pace could simply be the switch to Mercedes-Benz power, with last year's Honda V8 believed to be up to 60 horsepower down."

[en.f1-live.com]

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 09, 2009 07:39PM
Posted by: phantaman
someone said that the mercedes is 1000RPM more than the hondas (by approximation 1000RPM = 50CV)... engine was never a problem, but the chassis that was never good enough. :p

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy