2009 car launches thread

Posted by flat tyre 
Re: 2009 car launches thread
Date: February 09, 2009 12:13PM
Posted by: **Taylor**
Weird looking grooves on the nose above the front suspension mountings - Not seen that on any other 2009 cars ....

Date: February 09, 2009 12:17PM
Posted by: J i m
Not that out of the ordinary though... we've seen similar stuff down through the years.
Date: February 09, 2009 12:44PM
Posted by: chet
Quite a few interesting things. Engine cover is quite nice!
Like Mclaren looks like they've moved the steering arms because of the high nose.
And yay for the deep endplates!!!I do very much like deep endplates, if the rules permitt them to go that low im supprised other teams havent followed!

Easily best looking car out the bunch! Webber was right!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 09, 2009 01:08PM
Posted by: gav
Front of the chassis looks like I break it with my little finger. Soooo slim.

Good to see another take on the regs. :)
Date: February 09, 2009 01:11PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Date: February 09, 2009 01:13PM
Posted by: MrMan
Nice car, not spectacularly different as Webber and Helmut Marko would have us believe. That nose is super model thin, a proper "size zero".

On F1-Live they also mentioned that Renault have fiddled with the engine to make it more of a level playing field.

Date: February 09, 2009 01:15PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Date: February 09, 2009 01:22PM
Posted by: chet
The more I look at this car the more I like it!!

[premium.f1-live.com]

Look how low the sidepods go!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 09, 2009 02:22PM
Posted by: mika19b
Am i the only one that think's it's rather ugly? *Runs away*
Date: February 09, 2009 02:27PM
Posted by: The Lopper
I think it is a gorgeous car, but that photo above has just reminded me how much the new rear wings suck.
Date: February 09, 2009 02:28PM
Posted by: Craigo
Anyone thinking 2001 mclaren

Date: February 09, 2009 02:30PM
Posted by: **Taylor**
Yep, Mr Newey can certainly design a beautiful looking car, although these 2009 regs have produced some ugly things i never doubted that the RBR (& STR) would be gorgeous machines - I just hope they are as fast as they look!!

IMHO i think Webber has never had a car fast enough to show us fully what he can do (although i'm not saying how fast that actually is ;-)), and i think most people would agree that the thought of Sebastian Vettel in a top2/top3 level car is a frightening prospect!!! ;-)

As for your pic chet - Wow - Great shot - Can't believe how low the rear goes!! Look how low the exhaust outlets are!! :-)

Date: February 09, 2009 04:17PM
Posted by: marcl
I think this will be Webbers last chance, if vettel beats him that will be it. All we have seen from Webber is how to lose a good finish.
Date: February 09, 2009 04:44PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Newey hasn't given up that thin nose, he's just so determined to see it work unlike in the MP4-18/19 :p
Date: February 09, 2009 04:50PM
Posted by: SAMF1
that almost look like a barge board

Date: February 09, 2009 05:17PM
Posted by: mika19b
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Newey hasn't given up that thin nose, he's just so
> determined to see it work unlike in the MP4-18/19
> :p

I think it wasn't just the nose with those car's though ;)
Date: February 09, 2009 05:34PM
The more I look at this Red Bull, the more I am reminded of older days. The rear photo brings me back to 96-97 and the sharper cockpit side-walls remind of the days when the drivers were far less protected in the cockpit (thankfully they are still protected though, it's just the "primitive" look of the sidewalls that gives this impression.) The nose reminds me of the 98 Arrows and some of the Prosts, I think the AP03 had those ridges on the nose as well, although they were less pronounced. Of course, none of those cars had any success, but here's hoping Red Bull do well this year.
Date: February 09, 2009 05:46PM
Posted by: EC83
marcl Wrote:
> I think this will be Webbers last chance, if
> vettel beats him that will be it. All we have
> seen from Webber is how to lose a good finish.

Agreed. Webber needs to stop underachieving this year. It'll be especially difficult for him because Vettel will be the strongest team mate he's had. Webber's been the major disappointment of the top drivers for me. I really thought back in 2002-2003 that he was destined to do great things.
It's strange, because he seems to have the best work ethic of all the current drivers.

Date: February 09, 2009 06:00PM
I don't really think it's been a case of Webber under-achieving, I reckon it really has been down to the car the whole time. The question is whether or not being in crap cars for 7 years has dented the promise he showed at Minardi and Jaguar at the start of his career. And of course, whether or not this Red Bull will be competitive in the first place.
Date: February 09, 2009 06:01PM
Posted by: EC83
Guimengo Wrote:
> Newey hasn't given up that thin nose, he's just so
> determined to see it work unlike in the MP4-18/19
> :p

That could give it an aerodynamic advantage over the others, which all seem to have chubby noses.
The aero on the whole car looks pretty innovative.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy