Re: Hungarian GP Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: August 09, 2006 01:46PM
Posted by: requenov
Nickv Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm. I don't know. From 7th to the lead is I think more impressive
> then from 15th to 7th or something. It is one place more, but he only
> overtook crappy cars

Indeed Senna is from 4th to the lead and Alonso is from 15th (14th cause Klien was in the pit lane) to 6th. Anyway they are different times, places, cars and drivers to discuss which one is better.
Date: August 09, 2006 01:49PM
Posted by: Muks_C
no one is trying to say that FA was better, just discussing how it compares to Senna's. was it a good piece of driving, or something easy that we would expect any driver on the grid to be able to do in that car on that day.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: August 09, 2006 02:32PM
Posted by: tripleM
"good piece of driving"

That.

Date: August 09, 2006 02:46PM
Posted by: mikef1
Yes it shows that Alonso has great awareness when cars are all around him, his car control was also very impressive in those conditions. It was a great first lap but he did have the fastest car/tyre combo at that point in the race.
Date: August 09, 2006 02:59PM
Todt admits bad Hungary call: [www.itv-f1.com]

Ferrari boss Jean Todt has admitted that the team probably should have advised Michael Schumacher to back off, rather than battle for third place with Nick Heidfeld, in the closing stages of the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Schumacher was struggling with worn Bridgestone intermediate tyres on a virtually dry track but instead of allowing easy passage to Heidfeld – who had much more grip on dry-weather Michelins – defended his place vigorously and collided with his German compatriot.

The contact left Schumacher with deranged steering and he was forced to retire with just three laps of the race remaining.

Although he was later gifted a single championship point following Robert Kubica’s disqualification, narrowing Alonso’s lead to 10, it was a big missed opportunity for Schumacher.

With the benefit of hindsight, Todt conceded that Ferrari could have told Schumacher to settle for a safe fourth place in view of the championship situation.

“We did not want to disturb him, but after seeing what happened, probably we should have told him something,” he said.

“But it’s always easy to say what you should have done when things are finished.”

Speaking after the race on Sunday afternoon, Schumacher was unrepentant over his decision to race Heidfeld, saying it was his nature to fight to the last.

“Did we take a risk staying out on track with intermediate tyres and in the fight with my rivals? That’s the way I am,” he said.

“I always want to fight for the top which is why I have won so often.

“There are still five races to go. Nothing is yet lost and I will give it my all in trying to win the title.”

---------------------------------------

i would have been screaming at MS to let the faster guys through without fighting with them. yes it's always easier to know what to do in hindsight, but surely one of them on the pitwall would have know at the actual time that finishing the race with some points was better than retiring.

Date: August 09, 2006 03:34PM
Posted by: mart
Ferrari really should have called Schumi in when Button made his change to dry tyres, a rare mistake that cost them 3rd.

I've just been looking at some of the photos of Schumi's Ferrari near the end of his race and it looked so much better with slicks (although badly worn inters) than grooved tyres.
Date: August 09, 2006 04:58PM
Posted by: marcl
nick was 4 secs a lap faster than ms.

But had it paid off like that time with rb in germany we would all be saying great call by ms and the team.

As ms said the risk was worth taking.

i remember spa 1992 senna stayed out on slicks on a wet track when everyone else stopped. In the end he did change tyres and guess what happened the rain stopped.
Date: August 09, 2006 05:28PM
Posted by: tripleM
His tyres were buggered for the dry and useless if it rained (practically zero tread pattern).

Looking back is a lot easier, but he should have played it safe after Alonso's retirement.

At 11 points back and momentum on his side he didn't need to defend his position so hard.

Date: August 09, 2006 05:40PM
exactly TripleM. the risk was not worth taking IMO, because he was 4 seconds slower than those catching him already. and even if it had rained again, his treads were worn out anyway.

if he had stopped for slicks when Button did, he'd have had a fighting chance against those who were catching, and he might have even been able to catch those ahead of him after dropping down during his stop.

but meh, it's all ifs and buts, he might have stopped at the "right" time, then had a puncture or something to put him out of the race anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2006 05:41PM by Muks_C.
Date: August 09, 2006 05:47PM
Posted by: AdamGilchrist
i also wonder if they shouldve weighed schumis car after the race, cos he got a point. his tyres looked worse then kubicas. but he did have fuel onboard for a few laps, so im shore it weighed over 600kgs...
anyway still funny to me, schumi collided with 2 cars during wheel to wheel. that first one hitting fisis car and breaking his wing was hillarious! then he got lucky and put back on same lap with safety car, but things evened out when heidfeld did a great move on him. first thing i thought when fisi spun out, was that schumis wing must have cut his tyre. but its typical fisi anyway.
Date: August 09, 2006 05:55PM
yeah i thought fisi had a puncture or something from their contact earlier on.

and for weighing, do they weigh with fuel after the race (probably only be a bit left in), or do they pump it dry, like they do during the course of the weekend?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2006 06:03PM by Muks_C.
Date: August 09, 2006 05:57PM
Posted by: Morbid
The 600 kilos weight, is dry as a bone, driver and equipment included.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: August 09, 2006 05:58PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Enforced after the Honda gaff at Imola last year. ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: August 09, 2006 06:04PM
yes it has been said already, ms car and him were not weighed before they got back to the pits due to the retirement.

So they both missed the standard procedure. There was talk midland were gonna do something but they never.

Pedro has also said he bannged wheels with ms when ms blocked him.

MS made contact with
Fissi
DC
Nick
Pedro

MS can also have a new engine at the next race as he never finished

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2006 06:04PM by marcl.
Date: August 09, 2006 06:04PM
yeah so even if they had weighed MS' car,they would have drained it first, so it would have been in danger of being underweight Adam.

he made contact with Fisi twice, first in the last corner when they just touched wheels, then the time he lost part of his wing. where/when did he touch DC?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2006 06:24PM by Muks_C.
Date: August 09, 2006 06:18PM
when he spun, dc said he hit the side of his car
Date: August 09, 2006 06:19PM
Posted by: dolinseks
I think that at least 1 litre of fuel must be in the car after the finish of the race, so that they can take samples of fuel. At least it was like that 2, 3 years ago.

Date: August 09, 2006 06:25PM
@ Marc, you mean at turn 2 after the safety car? so he span cos he hit DC?

Date: August 09, 2006 06:59PM
Posted by: Ryoji
Morbid schrieb:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The 600 kilos weight, is dry as a bone, DRIVER and equipment included.
>
>
>

so if i understand that right...kubica just wasn't "fat" enough...lol
;)
Date: August 09, 2006 07:35PM
yes he spun and hit dc, dc was not clear on this really.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy