The Official Hungarian Grand Prix 2009 Thread **SPOILERS**

Posted by EC83 
MS isn't actually a tester anymore IIRC. He hasn't sat in an F1 car for ages. He hasn't even driven this years car. Badoer however has. He may not have raced in a long time, but if you're a proper driver, it shouldn't take long before you get the fighting spirit back. Just look at PDLR.
Nickv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MS isn't actually a tester anymore IIRC. He hasn't
> sat in an F1 car for ages. He hasn't even driven
> this years car. Badoer however has. He may not
> have raced in a long time, but if you're a proper
> driver, it shouldn't take long before you get the
> fighting spirit back. Just look at PDLR.

Hm, that's a fair point :)

Here's a funny insight to how everyone found out where they were on the grid.

I sent a tweet to Jenson asking;
@The_Real_JB How long was it until you guys finally knew who was where on the grid?

This is what I got back;
@Monza972 About 5 mins of madness... Bernie was running round asking them what times they did!

The thought of Bernie running around just makes me laugh so much ;)
Haha, one of the minnows should have claimed to have done a 1 19...
Nickv ecrit:
> MS isn't actually a tester anymore IIRC. He hasn't
> sat in an F1 car for ages. He hasn't even driven
> this years car. Badoer however has. He may not
> have raced in a long time, but if you're a proper
> driver, it shouldn't take long before you get the
> fighting spirit back. Just look at PDLR.

Wurz is also a good example ;-)
It would be nice to see Badoer finally scoring his first point in F1.

Massa's accident is frightening. One week ago, we talked about what is the chance of being hit by a flying wheel in the head ( about Surtees accident, RIP Surtees :( ), but now what is the chance of being hit by a spring coming from "nowhere" in the head? Massa is very very "lucky" to get out of this alive; with a taller driver like his team mate Raikkonen, I think it could have been a lot worse.

The end of Q3 was very interesting with noone, drivers included, knowing who is fastest. It was funny to see Alonso asking each driver which time he did :).
It was quite funny to see but upon reflection I bet Alonso was pretty uneasy about it all knowing how much fuel he had he knew he had to be on pole no matter what!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
in regards to Massa's incident, i read on another forum a very good point that this shows how, in hindsight admittedly, wrongly the stewards acted at last year's French GP when Kimi's exhaust was falling apart, considering the damage that could also have done if it hit someone.

X (@ed24f1)
My god it seems his situation worsened. My god.

Can't believe can't really believe.
Yes in here it was just told in news that Massas surgery did go fine, but he is now/still in life danger. :S

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
AP: Hospital official says Felipe Massa is in "serious, life-threatening but stable" condition.

[twitter.com]
James Allen says No

"#f1 ignore reports on Sky/AP that Massa is in life threatening condition. He's stable after an op and will be okay. Long recuperation though"

[twitter.com]
[sports.espn.go.com]
BUDAPEST, Hungary -- Hospital officials said Formula One driver Felipe Massa is in "life-threatening" condition after undergoing surgery for a fractured skull from a high-speed crash at Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying.

Officials at the AEK military hospital said Saturday that Massa will be kept sedated on a respirator in an intensive care unit.

Medical director Peter Bazso said at a news conference that "Massa's condition is serious, life-threatening but stable."

Bazso and chief surgeon Lajos Zsiros say they expect Massa to be awoken Sunday.

The 28-year-old Brazilian had surgery one hour after arriving at the hospital, the doctors said.

The crash occurred Saturday after a spring had fallen off another car and flew up and struck Massa in the helmet. An apparently dazed Massa continued driving over a curb and across the track. He went through the gravel area alongside the Formula One circuit before striking a tire-lined barrier.

The impact of the rear suspension part -- a standard component that Brawn GP team principal Ross Brawn believed was made of steel -- damaged the left side of Massa's helmet, ripping out the visor and leaving a long dent on its side. Blood was seen above Massa's left eye.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 09:35PM by vesuvius.
The thing that hit Felipe is made of steel, and its weight is 1kg...the car was about 190 km/h when that was hitting the helmet... I think its harder than we´ve seen on TV... They are serious injuries, Dale Earnhardt died from a fractured skull... Don´t remember Ayrton but National Geographic says he was killed because a wheel hitted him... Alan Stacey in 1960 Belgian Grand Prix was killed because a bird hitted him on the head (ok, there was less safety), remember Tom Pryce accident too... the only driver I can remember he wasnt killed after something hitting his head was Vittorio Brambilla... I am very worry about this... I will wait until the give to the public the situation tomorrow and see whats saying Ferrari about all this... We have to pray for Felipe and ask God for him to recovery well

There have been loads of crashes where drivers have been killed from injuries sustained to other body parts than the head. Fires, broken bones leading to complications, internal injuries.

Still, it just so happens that the most critical part of the human anatomy is the bit that sticks out in the open in single-seaters.

Looking at a frame-by-frame of the crash into the tyre wall, I believe that's where he got the cut above his eye. The conveyor belt is just the right shape when it deforms to cause the shape of the wound. A nasty gash, but I don't think it's related to the initial, more serious problem - though given the close proximity, it certainly won't have helped.
Could well be, definitely the belt comes out and hits him on the (something else does as well, can't make out what it is). The spring looks small enough but you can see it really belts his head, his head is jolted back in the cockpit.

These kind of things always seem to happen in groups. Surtees last week and now this. It's a timely reminder that motorsport ain't safe, despite all the advances that have been made. This is a real freak incident though. Reminds me of when the camera fell of another car and hit Berger's(?) car at the Italian Grand Prix in 95. Would have been fatal if it hit him, luckily it just hit the front wing or summat.
A lot of the drivers are calling for safety measures for the driver's head to be looked into. I wonder if they'll introduce a windshield, similar to what was used in the 60's, except a bit higher to divert debris over the head?

gav Wrote:
> Still, it just so happens that the most critical
> part of the human anatomy is the bit that sticks
> out in the open in single-seaters.

I know this is awful and badly timed... but for some reason I had a vision of a new safety measure - the driver's feet sticking out of the cockpit...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 10:52PM by flat tyre.
LOL!

*cue Piquet jokes about him being more effective that way*
Some ppl have been suggesting something like that in atlas:

(pic from tthere)

That's not the stupidest idea ever, i've got to say. I wonder what they could use, though, that can be strong and transparent?

Oh, wait, didn't transparent aluminium get invented a couple of decades ago by this bloke?

On a more serious note, it's good to hear the surgery went well, even if it's worrying that he needed it.

Good news, Lucy Smedley (Rob's wife) has returned an email for one of the moderators in a Ferrari forums:

"hi clair - yes I have been panicking myself because of these reports but I can confirm that Rob has spoken to his brother about ten mins ago and he is doing well. well. He is in a medical induced coma after the trauma to his head and the surgery to his skull which I think is normal after that sort of thing... but he is completely stable and the surgery went really well.

It was so so scary today and I can imagine the fans were so upset - Rob was so shaken up about it and really upset. Thank god Felipe is ok. He is such a lovely boy with a lovely family and a new baby on the way - I am so glad god answered our prayers today.

If you want any more news feel free to ask me I will tell you all that I know!

xx "
Rodrigo007 ecrit:
> Some ppl have been suggesting something like that
> in atlas:
>
> (pic from tthere)
>
> [img401.imageshack.us]
> ity.jpg

It could help to avoid kind of accident like Massa's one but the driver will have more difficulties to get out of a car rapidly if it's needed. :s
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy