The 2005 Indianapolis GP Thread [spoiler warning]

Posted by markko 
No one knew about it. untill friday free practice.

It was used for the IRL and NASCAR and the Brickyard 400.

This has damage F1 very badly. It's has damaged it so bad it is a repeat of imola 94 where safety became a key issue.
It's not hard to make a chicane either, by the way. Annoys you that this is all it would have taken to have a good GP:

I don't understand FIA: Last year they were saying "safety is priority, we'll introduce changes in order to secure drivers life" and now that there's this problem, they don't care, it's Michelin problem, not ours....
What would happen if on lap 6, all the michelin cars crashed? They'll be changing the rules again

I always wondered why they wasted their time building a chicane at Spa when there was a loop around available.:-)
chet Escrito:
-------------------------------------------------------
> good race ..
>
> best bit.. the fans reactions
>
> not ferrari's fault.... not michelins fault, not
> the teams fault..its all their fault
>
> no..
>
> btw - wat the hell was tiago doin?? ok his first
> points and podium... but c'mon... it was a hollow
> result
>
>
>
>

Oh,just shut up.
If it was narain krashikain that finished in the podium he would do the same thing,and you would be very happy for him...
Tiago was very happy for the team and for the fans,and for his country,he had his chance and he took it,its not his fault that Michelin cant make a safe tyre!

@triple M: they didnt have saftey precautions arouns the loop and it went behind the spectator areas, no camera coverage etc etc

FIA knows better i guess.:-)
Here's what Tony George said after the race:

George: Tell it to F1, FIA and Michelin

Associated Press

6/19/2005 5:55:16 PM

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Indianapolis Motor Speedway boss Tony George said complaints about the depleted lineup for the U.S. Grand Prix should be directed to Formula One, to the series' governing body and to tiremaker Michelin.

All but three of the Formula One teams withdrew before the start of Sunday's race because of safety concerns with the Michelin tires.

The only cars that raced were the Ferraris of winner Michael Schumacher and runner-up Rubens Barrichello, the Jordans of Tiago Monteiro and Narain Karthikeyan and the Minardis of Christijan Albers and Patrick Friesacher.

"The Indianapolis Motor Speedway shares in the disappointment with the loyal fans of IMS and Formula One that we did not see the exciting race we all anticipated due to circumstances beyond our control," George said in a statement.

"The FIA (Federation Internationale de l'Automobile), Formula One and manufacturers that represent the cars on the starting grid made decisions on an individual basis to limit participation in today's USGP.

"We suggest the fans who wish to make their feelings known, contact the following," George added, listing the mailing addresses and websites for Michelin in Clermont-Ferrand, France, and the FIA in Paris, and the address of Formula One in London.

George did not immediately respond to a request made through Speedway spokesman Ron Green for an interview with The Associated Press.

Surely the teams would have been informed that the track had been resurfaced and then passed that info on to the tyre companies?

Bridgestone apparently knew due to there involvement with firestone, who supply IRL teams i think.
Bloody stunned and amazed. Even until the last minute I couldn't believe there wouldn't be a real race.

Martin Brundle summed it up best for me. That guy understands. He always seems to have the correct view.

I loved it when he said:

'If michael does a victory leap I'm going to personally punch him' (or something like that)

................................................................................................

After Adelaide '94 I stopped liking Michael Schumacher. I was finally beginning to think maybe old Michael wasn't so bad when.......

Oh dear.
Re: The 2005 Indianapolis GP Thread [spoiler warning]
Date: June 20, 2005 12:39AM
Posted by: chet
Eugenio Faria Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> chet Escrito:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > good race ..
> >
> > best bit.. the fans reactions
> >
> > not ferrari's fault.... not michelins fault,
> not
> > the teams fault..its all their fault
> >
> > no..
> >
> > btw - wat the hell was tiago doin?? ok his
> first
> > points and podium... but c'mon... it was a
> hollow
> > result
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> Oh,just shut up.
> If it was narain krashikain that finished in the
> podium he would do the same thing,and you would be
> very happy for him...
> Tiago was very happy for the team and for the
> fans,and for his country,he had his chance and he
> took it,its not his fault that Michelin cant make
> a safe tyre!
>
>
>

who sed i wasnt happy for him?? i couldnt be happier for Minardi or Jordan.... i understand his happiness and joy for himself and the team.. but what the @#$%& is the point in cheering to a podium he never trully earned...

just say u were in his place.. you came 3rd.. wen half the field never raced.. would u really consider that a well earned 3rd place??

As a person.. if that had been me.. i most likley would have given the trophy back after..or not accepted the points........ its almost as if he was given the 3rd place.

you knw full well he acheived that third purely on fact that no michelin teams contested.. how could u be proud of that?

please dont get very immature and bring Michelin or the country crap into it..

he could be proud of totaly beating his team-mate and doin wat his team-mate failed to do... look after his tyres.. judging by the crouds boo's from the race.. it was pretty pathetic of him to start waving around and jumping like nothing had happend.

he could have showed sum respect, like the 2 ferrari drivers did..

(provido the senorio stay the same) If jense had done the same but in the case of a first victory i would loose all respect for him.

----

btw - what did every1 think about Brawns tatics at the end?? the take it easy one and the very very very clever move of..

driving on the dirty side to pickup marbels to get extra weight.. very clever there and impressive Brawn :)

i wasnt too happy about taking it easy.. if u were Barachello.. who of you would have gone for the victory?? hes defo gonna leave at the end of the season to another team.. so y liston to brawn? and i thought team-orders were not allowed.. coz this is basicly team-orders.. :S o well

btw - guess who trails the championship??? i give u 10 guesses.. ;) how embarrasing for them.. lol.. he's defo gone at the end of the season now... lol at this rate its gonna be another 99 ;)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

btw - what did every1 think about Brawns tatics at the end?? the take it easy one and the very very very clever move of..

Notable that Barrichello was forced to drive off the track to avoid MS, then when he gets close again they are told to "hold station"

driving on the dirty side to pickup marbels to get extra weight.. very clever there and impressive Brawn

They all do it..

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Since like forever :)

Gee,it's Ferrari.

And lamost every other team would do the same.
Anyone else notice how the Ferraris had different mirrors? Barrichello had 2004 'close to the side pods'style ones where as Schuey had 'towers'
"As a person.. if that had been me.. i most likley would have given the trophy back after..or not accepted the points........ its almost as if he was given the 3rd place."
Yeah right...offcourse....

Just because the michelin teams didnt run today,Tiago didnt earned the podium??
you are the one whos pathetic dude!!!!!
He did what he had to do,and beat his team mate (once again...) and the 2 Minardis.
Its not his fault that all of this happened.
So shut up about Tiago celebrating with his team and the Portuguese fans.
Any other driver from a small team would have done the same.

"As a person.. if that had been me.. i most likley would have given the trophy back after..or not accepted the points........ its almost as if he was given the 3rd place. "

RIGHT! lol . more than his 3rd place he was happy that he was way faster than Narain ...
every team have team orders ferrari are just the most open about it with the basic..."We dont give a f*** what you think but Schumacher is No_1 and Rubens is our b****h"
while other teams like Mclaren, Renault and BAR basically have the public opinion
"Well we believe in the team ethic and that being we wish to maximise our points potentially by letting our drivers race even if they take each other out" while having the behind the scenes opinon
"Kimi is No_1 .... Fernando is No_1 .... Button is No_1 nuff said"
I am not a Ferrari Fan

But you can't blame them for what happened unless they are breaking into the Michelin Factory and making crap tires they had nothing to do with it

I just can't get over that Michelin could not make a tyre for the Race it's Crazy.

It

The Thunder from Downunder

Chet, every single driver tries to pick up extra rubber to make sure they make the weight, its not just ferrari, and Brawn didn't invent it today.

and the problem with the michelins is nothing to do with them wearing out, its a manufacturing fault with the way the tread meets the sidewall, the 'shoulder' of the tyre. it gets too hot and fails, basically exploding the tyre.

and even if ferrari did agree to making a chicane, it wouldn't have been made, because the FIA said no to it.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy