The 2005 Indianapolis GP Thread [spoiler warning]

Posted by markko 
Re: The 2005 Indianapolis GP Thread [spoiler warning]
Date: June 20, 2005 10:31AM
Posted by: Zcott
Bernie:

James Allen raised the same point in the ITV coverage. Firestone were sending data from the Indy 500 back to Japan for the F1 guys to study and see how to approach Indy.

Michelin:

a) didn't have that info and presumably didn't know the track had been resurfaced.

b) take a much less conservative approach to tyre making than their Japanese counterparts.

It was still a pretty massive oversight by Michelin, but you can bet your life it won't happen again....

Date: June 20, 2005 10:37AM
Posted by: marcl
will michelin be thrown out the sport? thats the thing now what is going to happen with all the law suits that are gonna take place
I think a bit overly cynical, Bernie. It's Michelin, they don't let things like this go by.

And please people, don't have a go at Tiago. Imagine yourself there. You are on the 2nd worst car on the grid, you are in front of your cocky teammate and you have the best chance in your career of a podium finish without much hassle! But wait... there's more! Not only a podium finish for you, but the first podium for a Portuguese driver in F1! Changes your perspective, doesn't it? And if you noticed, the crowd stopped booing and actually cheered for him.

Rubinho didn't want the podium, also.

ps: noticed how all boos stopped once national anthems began :P
i really look foward to france its going to be great but onoes micheal and rubens go out last in quali because of annother stupid rule revision seems more fun that f1 atm

yes, quite impressive, but I felt so sorry for Monteiro. especially when he was spraying the champagne while the rest was leaving...

martin brundle was the man of the day in my opinion. his gridwalk was a fine piece of journalism and you felt that he was irritated by the drivers not telling what they wanted to do. and in the box he sounded a bit lik james hunt.
Date: June 20, 2005 10:46AM
I can not beleive how quick the race seemed to go it was, time just flew by.

It was good to hear the car radios for once and get info.

MIchelin runners do have one advantage going to france their engines have done one less race.
will michelin be thrown out the sport?

no reason as a direct result of this. wasnt there a rolling start in 2003 because of bad bs?
but if the fans demand money back, and there could be 10,000+ doing so, then the track will sue fia/michelin for that and fia will do all it can to pass the buck, so at the end of the day michelin made a mistake. but they could sue the 10 teams for not agreeing a solution.
plus indy wont want another race as theres too much risk of a repeat so someone may have to pay out the remainder of the contract.
i think 7 to 9 teams (jordan and redbull are the 2) will give full support to michelin, as technically it was a race with many retirements, so suing michelin wouldn't work, as the race went ahead.

they wont be thrown out, but if we ever get one tye manufacturer then this race will have some say in who it is.

____
Tony

marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can not beleive how quick the race seemed to go
> it was, time just flew by.
>

After about 4 hours, there was still 38 laps left. Seemed like 4 hours to me anyway...

Date: June 20, 2005 10:52AM
Posted by: Zcott
Tony George and the IMS are apparently taking no blame whatsoever. They published a statement telling disgruntled fans to write to Michelin, the FIA and FOM.

CART has also said that all F1 tickets can be used as tickets for the upcoming CART race in Cleveland.

Another interesting point that I've heard raised is that the reaction from Michelin was so substandard and lacking anything useful was because they were more focused on their Le Mans teams which aparently did very well (I haven't seen any results sheets).
Kristensen won for the seventh time in an Audi, and they use michelin indeed..
Tony George and the IMS are apparently taking no blame whatsoever. They published a statement telling disgruntled fans to write to Michelin, the FIA and FOM.

good on them

CART has also said that all F1 tickets can be used as tickets for the upcoming CART race in Cleveland.

good on them too. somethings happened and before anyone even notices they've offered a good solution. whereas the fia et al couldn't find a good solution if ws in a very easy place to find.

Another interesting point that I've heard raised is that the reaction from Michelin was so substandard and lacking anything useful was because they were more focused on their Le Mans teams which aparently did very well (I haven't seen any results sheets).

huh? so someone came running in to michelin garages at indy saying 'the tyres are buggered, the tyres are buggered!' and they said, 'shh we're listening to le mans' ??

____
Tony

b-tone Wrote:
> why will france be back to normal?
> ron, flav and others were very annoyed. and not
> just at michelin, but (once again) at the huge
> lack in unity in f1.
> ferrari might get their wish and finish the season
> racing against jordan, and maybe redbull.
>

And we thought F1 couldn't get any worse..... races like this one permenantly would be so depressing.

Date: June 20, 2005 11:05AM
this is not the 1st time there has been tyre probs remember brazil 2003 bridgestones had no wets and the race was delayed
b-tone Wrote:

> huh? so someone came running in to michelin
> garages at indy saying 'the tyres are buggered,
> the tyres are buggered!' and they said, 'shh we're
> listening to le mans' ??

No, not at Indy. I'm fairly certain the guys at the track did what they could. I was referring to Michelin HQ in France.
So what happens now for the next race?

Date: June 20, 2005 11:24AM
back to normal like nothing happened i should expect
What happened in the podium? Our Tv-channel didn't show the rest of the race and they had a half an hour news break in the middle of the race! It would have been interesting to see the race but no.... I sent angry e-mail to them :)

* Do not use illegal copies of computer software. *
schumi put on his 'its not my fault im just doing my job' sad face, rubens looked pissed off with the whole thing and didnt want to go to the podium. some guy told them theywere going to the podium. and tiago acted like he's just been given his first ever podium

____
Tony

Date: June 20, 2005 11:36AM
Posted by: LS.
marcl Wrote:
>
>
> It was good to hear the car radios for once and
> get info.
>

I thought that also, if we can hear Ferrari at Indy then why not every other track?

And why do we never get to see the onboard T-cam view of Schumacher?

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy