The 2005 Indianapolis GP Thread [spoiler warning]

Posted by markko 
It's easy to try and blackmail the FIA when you make up 70% of the grid.
Hi I've just got interested in this forum

There are many points where you can blame a person, tyre and team.

1. 9/10 teams accepted the Idea of building a chicane. Ferrari was the team. If they accepted it there would have been a race.

2. Michelin should have made a safe tyre. If they had made a safe tyre then there would have been a race.

3. If Ralph Schumacher hadn't lost it at turn 13, there would have been a race.

4. If the FIA didn't install the one tyre per race rule, there would have been a slight chance that the crash would have been avoided.

Its not a problem to build a chicane, you can put some used tyres there, and voila, here is the chicane

didnt u see what happened to alonso when he went into a tyre in brazil '03. u cant just put tyres there as its 2 dangerous
We're not the ones who are saying Ferrari didn't agree to put that chicane, Paul Stoddart said it too, the Michelin statement too. The FIA showed no mercy for the other teams, and a lot of simpathy for Ferrari and Schumacher, how come Schumacher wasn't investigated when he was going out of the pit lane, and send Barrichello to the gravel, ah? Barrichello, fo going on the track had priority over Schumacher, for me that could have ended in an accident.

I heard on the radio, Kimi was furious at Ron Dennis. It seems Dennis told him the strategy of going to the pits after the warm-up lap, and Kimi said it was stupid, cause he thought he might take 10 points to Alonso on the championship, but Dennis just sadi "no", Kimi kept on looking at him in a mad way.

But we just have to blame Michelin, for developing a crappy tyre, and FIA, for not finding an answer to the problem...

And seeing how thing went, Ferrari may be the only team who's going to keep in F1 in 2008 or next year, depending on the GPWC.

As someone said before...BRING ON GPWC!!!!!

Re: The 2005 Indianapolis GP Thread [spoiler warning]
Date: June 19, 2005 11:42PM
Posted by: Vader
- Michelin is to blame, though the teams are not.

- Rules are rules and must be obeyed.

- If Ferrari objects to a compromise it might not be co-operative but it is their right to do so.

- A chicane is out of question, since it would have been precedent-setting. Next race another team would come up and say "our car cannot make the chicane, so change the track."

- Using other tyres would have been out of question as well. Michelin admits they have no idea what was wrong with the tyres so they could not garantruee that other tyres would work.

- I can understand the FIA, I can understand the teams and I can understand that Michelin could not let its teams race. However, I can understand the fans most and they looked mighty annoyed.

- It is ridicolous to blame Ferrari for this farce.

- A US spectator pretty much summed it up: "Someone hit the wall. So WHAT?"

- Get over it and move on to Magny Cours.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2005 11:44PM by Vader.
elpasho2005f1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi I've just got interested in this forum
>
> There are many points where you can blame a
> person, tyre and team.
>
> 1. 9/10 teams accepted the Idea of building a
> chicane. Ferrari was the team. If they accepted it
> there would have been a race.

True.

> 2. Michelin should have made a safe tyre. If they
> had made a safe tyre then there would have been a
> race.

The problem was the new circuit surface, and as this track is not a offiial F1 testing track there was no way of knowing prior.

> 3. If Ralph Schumacher hadn't lost it at turn 13,
> there would have been a race.

That is not true. There was a total of 11 Michelins "failures" in the practice sessions, failures ranging from 2 tyre blow outs to the other 9 failures leading towards the other 2 failures, but were not quite there.

> 4. If the FIA didn't install the one tyre per race
> rule, there would have been a slight chance that
> the crash would have been avoided.

Again, not true. F1 has had a 1 tyre rule before, but because the two tyre companies are competing, the margin was always going to be close, there making the tyres to thebear minimum, so any unforseen circumstances, such as this one, could have effected one company or another. If there was 1 tyre supplier this would have never have happened.

Date: June 19, 2005 11:48PM
Posted by: mart
Vader Wrote:
> - A US spectator pretty much summed it up:
> "Someone hit the wall. So WHAT?"

Exactly... in Nascar, Indy league and the rest, how many crashes are there? I'd say 'bout 2-3 a race, they love racing, and remember danger is a part of Formula One. They should have either raced or called it off and put it back to later in the year (also given the supporters their money back).
Date: June 19, 2005 11:48PM
Posted by: Vader
We will remove all posts that contain foul language. We will remove all posts by people using foul language in their sigs. This is a family forum, so think twice before you type.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
but Due to this race.

Michelin and Indianapolis could pull out of F1 in the near future.
Date: June 19, 2005 11:50PM
Posted by: chet
good race ;)..

best bit.. the fans reactions ;)

not ferrari's fault.... not michelins fault, not the teams fault..its all their fault :)

no..

btw - wat the hell was tiago doin?? ok his first points and podium... but c'mon... it was a hollow result

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Now the problem would be, if we can move on to Magny-Cours...

It looks like Tony George is going to sue all the Michelin teams for not showing up, and that means, according to law, they can retain all the material from the teams, while they sort out this problem...I think this is not just it, that's american law, maybe the most strict law in the world

i think it is hard to pinpoint blame on anyone in particular.

what is disappointing is that ten team principals, the FIA and bernie ecclestone could not sit down over a cup of tea and sort out a sensible solution.

i think what is important is that everyone can learn from this, and the only way from here is, surely up.

but today i was embarrased to be a F1 fan.

EDIT - in response to calimbo , the teams did show up, and theoritcally they did take part, if only on the formation lap. so i dnt think he has anything legal going for him, and the teams would have thought this out carefully b4 i wud have thought.

altho there is little evidence of common sense thinking between all the important figures during the weekend...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2005 11:53PM by FRESCO.
I believe that F1 should have 1 tyre manafacturer.
they should expand testing so teams can test their car on at different tracks so a crash that could have been fatal can be avoided.
calimbo Wrote:
> Now the problem would be, if we can move on to
> Magny-Cours...
>
> It looks like Tony George is going to sue all the
> Michelin teams for not showing up, and that means,
> according to law, they can retain all the material
> from the teams, while they sort out this
> problem...I think this is not just it, that's
> american law, maybe the most strict law in the
> world
>
>
>

But they did show up, they just had to retire because of the tecnical issues.

he will have a hard time suing, especially as 20 cars took the start, and there is obvious proof that the cars were dangerous.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
"not michelins fault"

Yes it is Michelin's fault. They knew they had to design a tyre that could survive 70 odd laps with banking as soon as the new tyre regs were applied. You can't turn up to a race with a tyre that is so close to the limit in order to beat Bridgestone, with a manufacturing fault on top of that, and then say "Oops sorry" the night before the race.

They should be kicked out of F1. They'll be saying their tyre can't cope with Eau Rouge or 130R next.
was michelin told that the surface had been resurfaced with this new diamond tarmac stuff?

Yeah, but they screwed the show, they made the public get mad...there's a lot of thing

Date: June 19, 2005 11:57PM
Posted by: Zcott
I think it was more a case of them not knowing the track had been resurfaced with an abrasive texture. Had they known this, I'm sure they would have beefed up the tyre and made the whole situation ok.

I hate to say this but I bet there were people back in 94 who said something along hte lines of 'Barrichello flew off the chicane at Imola and crashed badly - so WHAT?' ...well we all know what hapened afterwards.

EVERYONE is to blame why do we always need a scapegoat...one object of hatred even when it's obvious everyone was involved. Schumacher/Ferrari are really good - makes F1 boring ->Fia make silly changes -> Michelin strive for domination - make cuts ->Indy organisers resurface track resulting in incrased stress ->Ralf crashes ->People concerned ->Michelin doesn't allow teams to race unless a chicane is built ->FIA + Indy people + Ferrari are against a chicane ->Michelin do not want to back down and compromise performance -> etc ->etc ->etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2005 12:03AM by NickKK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy