iRacing

Posted by NeilPearson 
iRacing
Date: June 26, 2008 02:42PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
So did anyone here get an invite?

i did, and its awesome.

I am really loving it, far better graphics and physics than anything out there atm!

Re: iRacing
Date: June 26, 2008 03:17PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Post screenies and videos!
Date: June 26, 2008 03:35PM
[blip.tv]

great vid

Date: June 26, 2008 07:31PM
Posted by: chet
When I read/saw iracing it looked terribly expensive.
Is that money worth it ? Ive read the physics are top notch, but when spending what I saw (was $150+ i think) I expect more than just good physics. The cars and tracks were, very biased towards a certain side of the Atlantic and it looked like you could probably get the same experience from NR2003, rF, and certainly LFS ?

Is that an accurate observation or?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 27, 2008 10:07AM
Posted by: gav
While it's very, very good, I'm not convinced. There's also a distinct lack of high-end cars - the Formula Mazda will probably be the fastest. If it had something like an LMS car of some description (even a lower class model), it would be a lot better. It needs to be less US-centric too. More European, Asian, Oceanian and South American cars and tracks need to be included.

I've not driven it enough to give a really qualified opinion, but as things stand, I felt the Solstice is too vague and easy. Even on the edge, it never really feels like it. The graphics are better than I was giving previews credit for, but it murders frame-rates at the higher details (though I do run at 1920x1200), and I've not had more than 1 car on the track yet. No FFB either, though I'll check if I've missed a check-box tonight.

I'll buy (well, acquire - you get enough credits to buy them with your initial subscription) the Radical, Silverstone and Road America, and see what's what after that.

I too still find it's too expensive. Given the weak dollar it's cheap enough to buy if I do get hooked into it, and those free credits do make it much more viable, but if they'd made everything half the price they'd likely more than double the number of people taking it up... it may well end up getting cheaper if they find people aren't taking it up, so we'll see.
Date: June 27, 2008 11:06AM
FFB is automaticly not checked for some reason gav. dunno why.

I'm loving it, the only thing that is pissing me off is the 2 hours between races. other than that im having heaps of fun.

took my first win in the rookie legends car, damn its hard to drive fast, some people can do 16.0s, best i done is a 16.188 and i was stoked to get it.

Date: June 27, 2008 11:34AM
Posted by: Craigo
What a rip off, you got be off your rocker to suscribe to something like that!!
Date: June 27, 2008 11:54AM
Craigo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a rip off, you got be off your rocker to
> suscribe to something like that!!

how do u know?

have you tried it?

unless you have tried it your opinion means nothing.

Date: June 27, 2008 12:13PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
NeilPearson Wrote:
> how do u know?
>
> have you tried it?
>
> unless you have tried it your opinion means
> nothing.

Can't you see why people are been a bit skeptical like that? Lets look at the track record of people on racing games on this forum since F1 Challenge. Firstly there was GTR, which everyone loved then got bored of, then there was LFS, loved then got bored again, same deal with rFactor then netKar Pro, again everyone initially loved except Dave Ellis then joined him, and now iRacing comes along which low and behold everyones loving atm. Now granted some people did actually stick with LFS and rFactor but alot of people still got bored after initially everyone decided to say it was the gods gift to all racing games! iRacing could be as good as everyone is saying or it may just prove to be a overpriced simulation with plenty of problems under the hood which people eventually uncover. But instead I'd prefer to hold back for a bit and let the initial boom of excitement die down before making the same mistake as netKar Pro..... and LFS..... and rFactor ;)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 12:19PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: June 27, 2008 12:20PM
Posted by: mika19b
Ianwoollam Wrote:
> NeilPearson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> Can't you see why people are been a bit skeptical
> like that? Lets look at the track record of people
> on racing games on this forum since F1 Challenge.
> Firstly there was GTR, which everyone loved then
> got bored of, then there was netKar Pro, again
> everyone initially loved except Dave Ellis then
> joined him, then LFS, loved then got bored again,
> same deal with rFactor and now iRacing comes along
> which low and behold everyones loving atm. Now
> granted some people did actually stick with LFS
> and rFactor but alot of people still got bored
> after initially everyone decided to say it was the
> gods gift to all racing games! iRacing could be as
> good as everyone is saying or it may just prove to
> be a overpriced simulation with plenty of problems
> under the hood which people eventually uncover.
> But instead I'd prefer to hold back for a bit and
> let the initial boom of excitement die down before
> making the same mistake as netKar Pro..... and
> LFS..... and rFactor ;)

netKar Pro 1.0.3 will be out soon and it is a massive improvment in every area over 1.0.2! Im beta testing it with some others but like you said, many people have fell out of love with it due to lack of updates and a poor reputation.

Edit:// I would like to try out iracing but i need a job first lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 12:21PM by mika19b.
Date: June 27, 2008 02:01PM
Posted by: DaveEllis

While it's very, very good, I'm not convinced. There's also a distinct lack of high-end cars - the Formula Mazda will probably be the fastest. If it had something like an LMS car of some description (even a lower class model), it would be a lot better. It needs to be less US-centric too. More European, Asian, Oceanian and South American cars and tracks need to be included.

Me and Rich discussed this. The Radical looks like it could be fun, if uneventful and the Legend car is probably a laugh. But other than that its pretty slow. BTW, the Formula Mazda is just Star Mazda, which is only just above a Formula BMW car, if even that. It isn't as fast as it looks.

netKar Pro, again everyone initially loved except Dave Ellis then joined him,

Netkar Pro was close to being great. But it fell down in the places it needed to succed.

netKar Pro 1.0.3 will be out soon and it is a massive improvment in every area over 1.0.2! Im beta testing it with some others but like you said, many people have fell out of love with it due to lack of updates and a poor reputation.

Does it function as a game now? Before, it had no AI, so you couldn't play offline. And it had awful netcode, so you couldn't play online. The menu system makes rFactors default menus look epic, and the collision detection and collision model was like something from the 80s. Given that people paid for a game which didn't work, then sat there for years whilst the dev buggered off with the money, I think people were completely correct to fall out of love with it.

When the game actually works, and has content worth driving, I might care about it. Until then its nothing more than an impressive (physics wise) hot lapping simulator.

unless you have tried it your opinion means nothing.

I don't to start yet another iRacing argument, but even without trying it, paying £xxx for a computer game is laughable to many (not all) people.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 27, 2008 02:24PM
Posted by: MattB
Personally I have no interest or desire to even consider iRacing. Im perfectly happy with rFactor at the minute and it just seems like a whole lot of money for something that hasn't made me buzz about.

Date: June 27, 2008 02:49PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Hang on, so you actually do have to pay for the cars / tracks as WELL as the monthly subscription? Ooooh that's just brilliant. I can sure see that being popular.... at least let people run their own servers and not be forced into things like that. I don't like how everyone seems to be going in for this dlc lark either.

I am curious as to what it's like though - how do you try it

Although the cars look rather borings but oh well. The thing is, I can see there is NO WAY they will allow people to mod this, and so I can't see us getting any decent historical tracks at all. It just seems to be focussed at the modern us market and a slap in the face to everyone else. Modern silverstone isn't even a good track - ok the old layout is but if you have to pick something modern, at least make it enjoyable to drive like donnington or something.

H E L L O
Date: June 27, 2008 02:51PM
Posted by: DaveEllis

I am curious as to what it's like though - how do you try it

No Demo. A 1 month trial is $20, which gives you base content and a "rental" of the game for 1 month.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 27, 2008 02:56PM
Posted by: Craigo
Whether the game is good or not is irrelevant to me, theres much more important things in life then to suscribe to some game which seems you have to spend more money on to make half decent. All in all when forking out £30 for a computer game I think thats more than enough, let alone paying monthly bills to 'play a game' seems just crazy!
Date: June 27, 2008 02:57PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
DaveEllis Wrote:
> > I am curious as to what it's like though - how
> do you try it
>
> No Demo. A 1 month trial is $20, which gives you
> base content and a "rental" of the game for 1
> month.

Hahahahahahahahaha

H E L L O
Date: June 27, 2008 03:43PM
Posted by: mika19b
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Does it function as a game now? Before, it had no
> AI, so you couldn't play offline. And it had awful
> netcode, so you couldn't play online. The menu
> system makes rFactors default menus look epic, and
> the collision detection and collision model was
> like something from the 80s. Given that people
> paid for a game which didn't work, then sat there
> for years whilst the dev buggered off with the
> money, I think people were completely correct to
> fall out of love with it.
>
> When the game actually works, and has content
> worth driving, I might care about it. Until then
> its nothing more than an impressive (physics wise)
> hot lapping simulator.

There is no AI but as far as i know there never will be as it is all about the online. The netcode is a million times better - the lag is 99% gone (a couple of small fixes will get the remaining 1% imho), FPS is higher for me and alot more stable.

The menu system is mostly the same, there are a small few changes but now all the buttons work.

Collision model/damage has been re-done, everytime you have a small touch with another car now you wont get a broken suspension and the wheel teather feature doesn't bounce around like it used to!
Also if you touch say a wall thats not hard enough to break the suspension, you may still get a slightly bent steering column, so the car might go the left slightly etc.

Kunos has been giving us new updates pretty much every 2-3 days, so he is finally working on the remaining few bugs.

Bascially, this will be the best online racing for single seaters about :)

There is a hill climb and osella car coming to, but i have no idea when tbh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 03:45PM by mika19b.
Date: June 27, 2008 03:47PM
Posted by: chet
Craigo Wrote:
> Whether the game is good or not is irrelevant to
> me, theres much more important things in life then
> to suscribe to some game which seems you have to
> spend more money on to make half decent. All in
> all when forking out £30 for a computer game I
> think thats more than enough, let alone paying
> monthly bills to 'play a game' seems just crazy!

The monthly payments really put me off.
Im sure giving a free demo then selling the final version for a reasonable price, like rf they will get so many more users.

Unless people have money to waste who is going to spend money on a game monthly? Maybe hardcore simracers, but even still

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 27, 2008 03:55PM
Posted by: SpaceAce
it worked for WoW.... why wouldnt it work for a racing game?
i dont agree with it though...

i remember i paid nearly $150 for Diablo 2 and the expansion when it first came out (about 70pound) and most new games are around 50pound...

its still a lot for a game though...

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: June 27, 2008 04:49PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
SpaceAce Wrote:
> it worked for WoW.... why wouldnt it work for a
> racing game?
> i dont agree with it though...

because Test Drive Unlimited proved that even though you can make a good MMORPG Style Racing game, they ain't really that successful, and they had no monthly charges :\

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 04:49PM by Ianwoollam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy