iRacing

Posted by NeilPearson 
Re: iRacing
Date: May 17, 2009 12:42PM
Posted by: chet
Gav - I have an analogue controler, so that will work?

Agreed on the tracks, on rf for example ive come across one Road America, and its a convert from F1C so the quality is less than great. It would be good to drive a few quality American road courses. I asked about European tracks because if so it would tend to go a little more towards adding more European racers...

It sounds good for the future. If my controller will work ill deffo give it a try and if I like enough may invest, though most likley wait a while to see if costs drop a little due to popularity. Other than I have to make sure my specs allow me to play ;-)!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 17, 2009 01:14PM
Posted by: gav
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gav - I have an analogue controler, so that will
> work?

It will work, but how well is anyone's guess. I raced GP2, GP3, GPL and I think GP4 (briefly) with a joystick before I got a wheel, so it is possible. Stuart Knibbs still uses a joypad in GPL, and does it well, but then most of us think it's nuts that he can.

I'd imagine you'd get slaughtered on track though.
Date: May 17, 2009 03:26PM
Posted by: Gené and Tonic
That NASCAR thing will certainly increase the membership base. When I finally get a new computer I'm seriously considering purchasing a year's subscription, although I do think they need to provide all the cars and tracks with the subscription, I think that's what puts most people off, you pay all that money then you don't even get all the content.
Date: May 17, 2009 03:37PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
At a cost of $10,000 to produce a track, they won't be giving them away for free. They already released the Spec Racer Ford for free.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 17, 2009 06:26PM
gav Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Gav - I have an analogue controler, so that
> will
> > work?
>
> It will work, but how well is anyone's guess. I
> raced GP2, GP3, GPL and I think GP4 (briefly) with
> a joystick before I got a wheel, so it is
> possible. Stuart Knibbs still uses a joypad in
> GPL, and does it well, but then most of us think
> it's nuts that he can.
>
> I'd imagine you'd get slaughtered on track though.

Ill give it ago then... Ive been using the joypad for a while now on rf and have got better times than with my wheel... tried it with gpl too, but now i cant find my gpl disk to install again :(.
ill try iracing with it then, see if my pc can handle it any better than i can!

Date: May 18, 2009 02:21PM
Posted by: Glyn
Gené and Tonic Wrote:
> That NASCAR thing will certainly increase the
> membership base. When I finally get a new computer
> I'm seriously considering purchasing a year's
> subscription, although I do think they need to
> provide all the cars and tracks with the
> subscription, I think that's what puts most people
> off, you pay all that money then you don't even
> get all the content.

The monthly subscription just pays for the organisation and the servers, although they do give you free content to start off with. As Dave says when scanning tracks and developing cars costs so much they can't keep giving stuff away for free.

One thing that's worth mentioning though is if you get a subscription of 3 months or more, you get so much of free content included. So if you buy a years subscription they throw in $60 of extra content which you can choose.

Date: May 29, 2009 09:00AM
Just bumping this for referrals for the Skip Barber Competition. Here are some new promo codes for new members to try.

1 - The Radical Free Trial - [www.radicalsportscars.com] . You get a free month of iRacing, Silverstone and the Radical SR8. Enter my email (daveellis0808@gmail.com) to refer me. :D

2 - 3 months for $25. Go to [www.iracing.com] . Click “Activate Promo Code” link. Then type “PR-REFERRAL-May-2009” Enter my email (daveellis0808@gmail.com) to refer me. :D

3 - 3 months for $25. Go to [www.iracing.com] . Click “Activate Promo Code” link. Then type “PR-NASCARMAY2009” Enter my email (daveellis0808@gmail.com) to refer me. :D

4 - Infineon Trial. 1 month for $10 + Infineon. Go to [www.iracing.com] . Click “Activate Promo Code” link. Then type “PR-INFINEON” Enter my email (daveellis0808@gmail.com) to refer me. :D

5 - 1 month for $5. Go to [www.iracing.com] . Click “Activate Promo Code” link. Then type “PR-GAMESPOT” Enter my email (daveellis0808@gmail.com) to refer me. :D

6 - 3 months for $25. Go to [www.iracing.com] . Click “Activate Promo Code” link. Then type “PR-INDY” Enter my email (daveellis0808@gmail.com) to refer me. :D

Thanks guys. :D

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 29, 2009 02:26PM
Posted by: Glyn
Your worse than a salesman ;)

Date: May 30, 2009 01:09AM
Salesmen don't have a Skip Barber trip on the line. :D

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 30, 2009 10:21AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Just a question, are there coming abit more GT/Prototype/Older Formula cars to the game in the future, anything known about that? I saw The Corvette C6.R and Lotus 79 coming, that's a nice start already, but anything more coming?

Date: May 30, 2009 10:43AM
Ford Mustang (GT3) and Ford GT (GT2) are coming after the Corvette.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 01, 2009 11:15PM
took guis advice and in about 10seconds it became clear a gamepad was going to be no use whatsoever!!! especially with no ffb! tried my old wheel and the brake pedal was far too short.

so uninstalled and will wait patiently till i get a good wheel and/or the game becomes more appealing/find the time to make use of the investment properly. Ive played lfs a few times and am i right in saying both are quite similar in terms of driving experience?

Date: June 02, 2009 04:50AM
hm not really. LFS cars spend most of the time sideways and showing off tyre bending and what not. iRacing is more like NR2003 and what the GTP mod for NR2003 should have been.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 02, 2009 12:32PM
Yeah, LFS is good, but the developers do tend to push the boundaries of physics a bit. It's no arcade racer, but it's not quite a sim either.

Great fun though. Dave and I sat exploring the physics for an hour or 2 when he was down a few year back. You could do some insane moves that just wouldn't be possible.

iRacing is as close to a sim as you'll get outside of motorsport facilities, and I'll bet it puts many of those to shame too. It is made to be as accurate as is possible within normal computing limits, and nothing else.
Date: June 03, 2009 09:05AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
chet schreef:
> took guis advice and in about 10seconds it became
> clear a gamepad was going to be no use
> whatsoever!!! especially with no ffb! tried my old
> wheel and the brake pedal was far too short.
>
> so uninstalled and will wait patiently till i get
> a good wheel and/or the game becomes more
> appealing/find the time to make use of the
> investment properly. Ive played lfs a few times
> and am i right in saying both are quite similar in
> terms of driving experience?

There is a reason it says Steering wheel and pedals required in the system requirements :P TBH most racing games arent any good without a good wheel, a keyboard/joypad/cheap wheel may be good enough to get around, but not good enough to go actually fast and be consistent :P

Date: June 03, 2009 11:00AM
I finished 2nd in the Skip Barber contest. $300 credit + 1 years subscription (plus the $60 that comes with it).

Here are a couple of videos I just uploaded.

Laguna Seca Start

I started 4th on the grid. An accident beside me was lucky not to collect me. I went around the leader at T1. Lead every lap and won.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Sebring Lead Battle

Battling for the lead with Rene Cornella at Sebring. I held him off here, but he eventually got around me a few laps later and went on to win. I finished 2nd.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 03, 2009 02:07PM
Posted by: Gené and Tonic
wow that sebring stuff must have been great fun
Date: June 05, 2009 01:18AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Nice hanging on around that last corner :)

Some great driving

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: June 06, 2009 01:08AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Nice videos Dave, congratulations on finishing second, I know you were winning for a time, but the prizes are still good.
Date: June 12, 2009 08:12PM
Brands and Oulton have been announced. Track scanning will start in July, so it'll be a few months until they're released, but they should make for some really, really fun racing in some of the smaller cars. :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy