iRacing

Posted by NeilPearson 
Re: iRacing
Date: August 17, 2009 08:53PM
Posted by: smorr
Well, finished 3rd in my first race, I'll call that satisfying.

I must say I was quite shocked when I came back to lap some people, and they ACTUALLY GOT OUT OF THE WAY. It's as if the people you race have a soul and a brain.

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: August 17, 2009 09:12PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Races are on the same track through Saturday night. If I qualify, say, Monday, I'll use THAT laptime in the same series on say, Friday night.

Almost. The start of the iRacing week is Tuesday. The track change is Monday night, 00:00 GMT (tonight). It is the least popular night, so is the night the track changes. So if you qualify Tuesday then it is used right through till the following Monday.

I can do as many races in a series as I would like, but only the top 3 finishes count towards points? (I'm confused. I could do 50 races, but only my 3 best races count towards my points, atleast thats what it seems)

I'm not sure how the Rookie races work, as I've never ran for points in anything lower than A/Pro. Assuming it is the same as Pro, then it takes your top 50% of races, and averages them.

If you score 100, 40, 50, 20, 150, 70 then it'll take the top 50% (100, 150, 70 in this case) and average them (to 107 in this case). It can take up to an hour for the points standings to update itself.

In all honesty, i ignored points for quite a long time. I worked on my SR, and when I got out of Rookie, I worked on my iRating. Those were what made a bigger difference.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 17, 2009 09:55PM
Yea, I'm not to concerened about points (Heck, I've never even done an offline championship) just figured I'd like to understand it now.

I could've sworn that it said Saturday @ Midnight was the change. Not like I really have a choice in the matter anyways...

And is there a list of pros that are known iRacers? I just so happened to have been wrecked by one Mr. Joey Logano.... No way its the real guy, it cant be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 11:17PM by smorr.
Date: August 18, 2009 08:04AM
It used to be midnight Saturday, but it got changed. When the track changes, the participation immediately drops off a bit because nobody has run much testing for next weeks tracks. It then builds back up over the day/night. So having the change on a Saturday meant it killed some participation. Moving it to the least popular day meant less people were effected by the change.

And is there a list of pros that are known iRacers? I just so happened to have been wrecked by one Mr. Joey Logano.... No way its the real guy, it cant be.

Well I've been wrecked by one Dale Earnhardt Jr. (and also wrecked him), so it probably is.

Current real world drivers. Couple of them don't have active accounts, and a couple of them only do offline testing. But you'll find most of these guys on servers.

List of current Pros:

NASCAR Sprint Cup
Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
Jimmie Johnson
Martin Truex, Jr.
AJ Allmendinger
Marcos Ambrose
Bobby Labonte
Scott Speed
Joey Logano
David Ragan
Max Papis

NASCAR Nationwide Series
Brad Keselowski
Michael McDowell
Justin Labonte
Chase Austin
Brad Coleman
Brandon Whitt
Kyle Krisiloff
David Green
Landon Cassil

NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
Chad McCumbee
Cale Gale
Brian Scott
Colin Braun
Willie Allen
Donny Lia
Erik Darnell
James Buescher

ARCA
Parker Kligerman
Jeremy Clements
Kevin Swindell
Dominick Casola

NASCAR Camping World East
Matt DiBenedetto
Ryan Truex
Kevin Swindell
Steve Park
Owen Kelly

IRL
Danica Patrick
Justin Wilson
Tomas Scheckter
Rafael Matos
Mike Conway

Indy Lights
Stefan Wilson
Martin Plowman

Grand-Am
Leighton Reese
Alex Gurney
Matt Plumb
Spencer Pumpelly
Paul Edwards
Henri Zogaib
Jack Roush Jr
James Burke
Andrew Caddell
Sasha Anis
Ryan Dalziel
Ricky Taylor
Jordan Taylor
Josh Hurley
Joao Barbosa
John Pew
Dane Cameron

FIA GT
Sean Edwards

NHRA
Ron Capps

SCCA MX-5 Cup
Marc Miller

Star Mazda
Alex Ardoin
Conor Daly
Joel Miller
JC Kester
Anders Krohn
Adam Christodoulou
Taylor Hacquard
David Ostella
Chris Cumming
Michael Guasch
Phil Fogg
JW Roberts

Speed Touring
Eric Foss

NASCAR Canadian Tire Series
David Thorndyke

Castrol Canadian Touring Cars
Andrew Wojteczko

SCCA
Don Knowles

ASA Southeast
Parker Hammons

ASA Midwest
Blake Brown

USAR Pro Cup
John Gibson
AJ Frank

Trans-Am
Mike Skeen

British Formula Ford
Josef Newgarten

Dutch Supercar Challenge
Andre de Vries

Misc/Unknown/Retired
Doug Heveron
Barry Waddell
Divina Galica
Jacques Villeneuve
Brian Redman
Jonathan Goring
Bertrand Godin

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 18, 2009 06:32PM
I checked btw. Logano has done 2 races. He is still a rookie. Signed up ages ago, only started racing 2 days ago. The race he wrecked you in, was presumably this one -

[members.iracing.com]

His first race, lol. Assuming you are Matthew Orr (judging by the username), you disconnected fairly quickly after the contact. If you hold shift+r, or escape and then rejoin, you get a reset and a fresh car. You have 1 reset/fresh car in Rookie and D class.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 18, 2009 07:09PM
Yep, thats me.

Nah, I got disco'd for some goofy reason, my connection was all flaky for somereason. It was such a horrible move I figured there was now way that guy could be an actual driver, but well... The list says other wise.

I need to get over the OMFG Its XXXXX(Insert big name driver here), their gonna kick my ass! thing.

Date: August 18, 2009 07:17PM
Some drivers don't transfer into games well. At Long Beach on our simulator, Sebastian Bourdais was a natural at it, as was Marino Franchitti. Meanwhile Mario Dominguez couldn't get out of the pit lane.

In iRacing, I've raced Tomas Scheckter a few times, and so far haven't lost to him. But put me on track with Ambrose, or Dale Jr, and I'll get my ass kicked. I imagine Joey is going to take some time to get up to speed, lol.

Your SR is already higher than you started with, and that is all you should be targeting as Rookie. Currently we are in Week 3. At the end of Week 4, the first Rookie Promotions take place. If your SR is over 3.0 by the end of Week 4, you'll be upgraded to D Class.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 18, 2009 08:00PM
Yea, I'm hoping I can make it in time. I was up to around 2.8 on the Ovals, then a few people decided to put their cars perpendicular to the flow of traffic right in front of me.

It wasn't that Joey was to terribly slow, but that he drove in traffic like an absolute IDIOT. Guess 40 laps isn't enough for a clean pass.

Regarding safety rating - If Im side by side with a guy for tons of laps, does that increase the rating faster than just driving clean without any traffic?

Date: August 18, 2009 08:22PM
Safety Rating is just based on the amount of corners you do for every incident point, doesn't take into account traffic or anything. Just the corners, and session.

Basically, a race at Lanier/Sobo is 40 laps. Each of those circuits is 2 corners (small ovals are measured as 2 corners, larger ovals measured as 4 corners). 2 corners for 40 laps is 80. So if you do 40 laps (80 corners) with 2 incident points, then your Corners Per Incident (CPI) is 40. 40 CPI is easily enough to get Rookie 4.99 in the SR.

A qualifying session is worth half a race (2 corners only count as 1 for example) because there is less cars on track.
A time trial is worth around 1/3 of a race, generally because you are the only one on track.
Practice sessions (offline and online) don't have any effect.

It can be a little more complex at times, and there are some variables, but it does even itself out. A safe drivers will get a higher SR than an unsafe one, even including being collected in others accidents. Rookie events are harsh at times as there are drivers out there being idiots unfortunately.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 19, 2009 06:26AM
Well, I'm officially a race winner.

I'm puzzled now. I just did a clean race (Sans a flip or three in warmup) at SoBo, and got a whopping +.52 SR jump. I had a clean race there earlier, and only got +.08. WTF! Does the SR phase out old races perhaps? As in it only judges the last couple of races you've done by chance?

And I must say, I'm hooked. Just got to remind everyone not to be a hero before every race and everyone seems to calm down. Now to work on getting a road course promo...

Date: August 19, 2009 07:43AM
I'm puzzled now. I just did a clean race (Sans a flip or three in warmup) at SoBo, and got a whopping +.52 SR jump. I had a clean race there earlier, and only got +.08. WTF! Does the SR phase out old races perhaps? As in it only judges the last couple of races you've done by chance?

Hehe. The .52 jump will be over a whole number. You would have went from 2.xx to over 3.40, am I right? Whenever you get over a while number (in this case 3.00), you get a "free" .40 boost. 3.00 is an important number, because if you slip back to 2.xx, you don't get promoted. So to stop you being penalised if you get hit by some random moron, you get a little .40 buffer, so you won't lose the promotion should you be unlucky.

The SR is judged on the last 2500 corners. :)

If you are liking the legends, you'd love the Late Models. Cleanest, perhaps the best racing in the system.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 19, 2009 07:59AM
AHHHHHHH. That makes a whole lot more sense. That's a brilliant thing to do, especially if you just met the reqs for promotion a day or two before they take place.

I was thinking of getting into those next, or the Modified cars. I feel I can relate to the short track oval cars (Given the fact that I've been to way many of those races here locally), as if that I could someday, actually get to drive one of them.

Short track oval = good. Big oval = boring IMO.

Date: August 19, 2009 08:00AM
The SK Modified isn't as popular as the Late Model. I prefer it, and I prefer the SK Modifieds new schedule, but most prefer the Late Model it seems.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 19, 2009 08:10AM
I'll probably pick up the late model and Martinsville when the weeks change- the SK has less content I have right now, so the late model seems more logical right now.

Date: August 20, 2009 10:18AM
Short track oval = good. Big oval = boring IMO.

Usually I agree. 2 of my favs are New Hampshire and Martinsville. But the Trucks are at Michigan at the moment, and the racing is awesome. It is the generic 1.5 milers that I don't enjoy.

I have a Pro race at Sebring in a few hours, and in all honest I'm not really looking forward to it. The tyre wear is insane, and my setup develops a bad push at half distance.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 20, 2009 08:51PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Short track oval = good. Big oval = boring IMO.
>
> Usually I agree. 2 of my favs are New Hampshire
> and Martinsville. But the Trucks are at Michigan
> at the moment, and the racing is awesome. It is
> the generic 1.5 milers that I don't enjoy.
>
> I have a Pro race at Sebring in a few hours, and
> in all honest I'm not really looking forward to
> it. The tyre wear is insane, and my setup develops
> a bad push at half distance.

Well Michigan / California (When it comes) are always the exception to the rules. It seems like in any game those two tracks are perfect for some good racing. The cookie cutters sans Atlanta are boring, no ifs ands or buts.

Well, if running the pro races is an issue you could've just DRIVEN SLOWER for once. How you managed to turn a 1.04 in the Solstice @ LRP boggles me. Guess I need to find around a second and a few tenths somewhere.

Good luck with the race. I wish that there was a way to watch it, pick up something from one giant group of uber fast people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 08:59PM by smorr.
Date: August 21, 2009 08:09AM
We had a full grid of 32 cars, which was a bit tense. I spun on lap 1 from 8th when 7th place braked about 7 weeks early for the hairpin. Dropped to as-close-as-makes-no-difference, last. Eventually ended up 10th.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 21, 2009 10:14AM
Round 3 - Sebring

The field power down to Turn 1

The inevitable Turn 1 accident.

I spin trying to avoid a car which braked 8 weeks early for Cunningham.

Immediately I set off to attack the car in front.

Lap 7, he makes a mistake and I jump through.

The battle for 10th.

I jump passed another car on the back straight.

I almost take out Paul Feely when I brake too late. Luckily he jumps out the way and avoids the accident, and I let him retain the position.

I pass him into T1 a lap later.

Fellow Celtic Driver, Richard Crozier makes it easy for me.

I catch up to 9th place, but he makes a mistake which forces me off onto the grass on the final lap. Eventually finish 10th out of 32.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 21, 2009 03:14PM
Nice pics Dave.

But....

How did you manage to get around the white and black car in Turn 1? And where did the Gulf wannabe car and the Green thing go to.

And I've found it quite helpful so far to put the club sticker on your car. ;)People seem to race me different that way (Though, There seems to be a surprising amount of Midwestern'ers in there. Represent!)

Date: August 21, 2009 03:35PM
The White/Black #23? I did that on the run down to the final corner.

The Gulf car was 1 position ahead of that blue car in the final pic and the pic where I spun.

The Green Atlantic #12? He spun on the bump in T1 at the start of lap 2

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy