Posted by NeilPearson 
Re: iRacing
Date: March 22, 2009 10:41AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
yes you need a wheel.

Date: April 30, 2009 09:58PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I would like to thank EVERYONE who put my email down for the referral - I am currently winning. If anyone else is still signing up then use my email address (daveellis0808@gmail.com). Thank you everyone.

1 - The Radical Free Trial - [www.radicalsportscars.com] . You get a free month of iRacing, Silverstone and the Radical SR8. Enter my email (daveellis0808@gmail.com) to refer me.

2 - 3 months for $25. Go to [www.iracing.com] . Click “Activate Promo Code” link. Then type “PR-REFERRAL-May-2009” Enter my email (daveellis0808@gmail.com) to refer me.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2009 10:15PM by DaveEllis.
Date: May 16, 2009 06:53PM
Im perfectly happy with rFactor
> at the minute

rFactor got worse. A lot worse.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 16, 2009 07:05PM
Posted by: Guimengo
There's Cartfactor and a couple of other good mods no one plays online, and the F1WGP mod and Prototype-C someday!

Yeah, too hopeful :P
Date: May 16, 2009 07:23PM
CART Factor is dead.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 16, 2009 07:25PM
Posted by: Nickv
Oh that's a shame. It was a promising mod. Why did it stop?
Date: May 16, 2009 07:27PM
Because the rFactor community sucks. I don't have much free time and I won't waste it developing a mod for a bunch of thieving morons who would rather run around in Renault Meganes.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 16, 2009 10:50PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
You really do have it in for that Megane mod don't you, Dave? ;)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: May 16, 2009 11:25PM
Posted by: gav
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You really do have it in for that Megane mod don't
> you, Dave? ;)

Given that he's put more work into rF than 99% of members here could even begin to imagine, including racing that mod, I'm fairly sure his judgement of it is fair.

I drove it once, set a decent time straight away (without any testing) and then got bored during the short race. Frankly, it's a heap of crap that anyone could drive. Race something decent... like... erm... iRacing?
Date: May 17, 2009 12:20AM
Posted by: chet
how opinions have changed!

how is this game set to expand? are new cars expected, there seems to be alot of tracks, mainly American, will more European tracks be incorporated in the future?

with it getting more popular i should think the price will drop, but its still far too much money for what seems a very limited package for the price. if you can use a gamepad ill try the free trial. my wheel is not working atm. so yeah, can you use a gamepad?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 17, 2009 12:58AM
Posted by: mika19b
chet Wrote:
> with it getting more popular i should think the
> price will drop, but its still far too much money
> for what seems a very limited package for the
> price. if you can use a gamepad ill try the free
> trial. my wheel is not working atm. so yeah, can
> you use a gamepad?

I don't think you can mate, I don't remember being able to when I last used iRacing.

Im sure someone esle can tell you 100%.

As for iRacing I may have to sign up again, im bored with rFactor, LFS, NKP etc and I had the 3 month's for $25 offer come through which is like 50% off :)

So when I get the money soon I might have to order up the 3 month offer and the Formula Mazda ;)
Date: May 17, 2009 01:00AM
Limited package? It's does most of what rF promised but it's actually accurate. Some of us started with Indy 500, where you got 3 cars and 1 track...

New cars are being introduced all the time. Just tonight there's been a press conference announcing a NASCAR deal and the Lotus 79 has been in development for a couple of month now. Is that not diverse enough?. My only complaint (and price isn't one of mine*) is the American-centric tracks and cars.

* As I've said previously, I still think they'd have a greater turnover if they offered the subscription at a lower price, getting more people in and hooked onto it, but that said, for what you pay, I still think it's good value. Hardly a bargain, but it's not a game. It's a proper sim... you won't find Flight-Sim fans complaining over the price of iRacing.

You will need a wheel though (or other analogue control device). This isn't GPx - it's a simulation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2009 01:02AM by gav.
Date: May 17, 2009 01:13AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
gav Wrote:
> This isn't GPx - it's a
> simulation.

I've got to say I peed my pants when I read that ;)
Date: May 17, 2009 01:15AM
Posted by: mika19b
salvasirignano Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This isn't GPx - it's a
> > simulation.
>
>
> I've got to say I peed my pants when I read that
> ;)

What you mean by that lol?
Date: May 17, 2009 01:22AM
The way gav just shot down the Grand Prix series in so few words. Very cruel, miaow ;)
Date: May 17, 2009 01:23AM
salvasirignano Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> -----
> > This isn't GPx - it's a
> > simulation.
>
>
> I've got to say I peed my pants when I read that
> ;)

I don't know if there's sarcasm involved there, but I'll qualify my statement anyway. :P

I think it's fair to say we're all here because of GPx, and while all the hardcore racers raced without any aids at all, GPx's recent reputation was that of a sim on rails, primarily due to some users still using steering help, despite having a steering wheel. I don't mean a toned down steering help, I mean turning it off completely.

I loved driving GPx as realistically as I could, even if that meant being 2 seconds off the pace in hotlap competitions at Imola to those who simply toned down the aids, but the fact of the matter is that a lot who play it do so because they can, whereas they would struggle far more in a more realistic environment.
Date: May 17, 2009 01:31AM
gav Wrote:
> salvasirignano Wrote:
> -----
> > gav Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > This isn't GPx - it's a
> > > simulation.
> >
> >
> > I've got to say I peed my pants when I read
> that
> > ;)
>
> I don't know if there's sarcasm involved there,
> but I'll qualify my statement anyway. :P
>
> I think it's fair to say we're all here because of
> GPx, and while all the hardcore racers raced
> without any aids at all, GPx's recent reputation
> was that of a sim on rails, primarily due to some
> users still using steering help, despite having a
> steering wheel. I don't mean a toned down steering
> help, I mean turning it off completely.
>
> I loved driving GPx as realistically as I could,
> even if that meant being 2 seconds off the pace in
> hotlap competitions at Imola to those who simply
> toned down the aids, but the fact of the matter is
> that a lot who play it do so because they can,
> whereas they would struggle far more in a more
> realistic environment.

I know what you're saying, and agree with it. A lot of fantastic work has gone in to making GP4 look as good (maybe even better) than more contemporary racing games, and I very much enjoyed playing it. Unfortunately though in terms of 'simulation' it doesn't compete with newer games (and GPL), which I feel far more rewarded by and immersed in when it comes down to the actual driving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2009 01:51AM by salvasirignano.
Date: May 17, 2009 07:30AM
Date: May 16, 2009 08:50PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL (IP Logged)

You really do have it in for that Megane mod don't you, Dave?

I do. Because its crap. And the dude who did the physics thinks hes some sort of god because hes driven the car. Despite this, they handle ridiculously. The tyres are utterly hilarious. When proper drivers help develop sims they give feedback, they don't do the physics themselves. And we had proper drivers on CART Factor. Dario Franchitti. We also had Ganassi engineers and Indy Car personel working with us. So for us to put that amount of work into a mod which, to be quite honest, pisses on almost every other rFactor mod, and for it to be ignored because its too hard, in favour of the Megane mod, was the final straw for me. The rFactor community does not want accurate racing simulations. It wants arcade racing.

how is this game set to expand? are new cars expected, there seems to be alot of tracks, mainly American, will more European tracks be incorporated in the future?

V8 Supercars and Bathurst are expected to be announced soon, along with the Indy Car Series. European tracks are on the plans. However it seems too many people are ignoring the greatness that is American tracks. No game has ever provided an accurate Daytona, Sebring, Road America, Road Atlanta and VIR before. Those are some of the best tracks in the world, and now we have awesome versions of them. It is just utterly amazing. Oh, and Long Beach is due soon.

or what seems a very limited package for the price.

If you are used to rFactor type selection where you have thousands of cars, then yeah, it is pretty limited. But quality over quantity. Another area which rFactor failed miserably. iRacing actually has TOO MUCH content for the smallish user base at the moment. Until recently it was difficult to get races in the upper classes going, but that seems to be less of an issue this season.

In terms of content, there is so much due.

V8 Supercar
Lotus 79 F1 car
Corvette C6.R GT1
Ford GT-R GT2
Ford Mustang GT3
2 More unannounced Fords
VW Jetta TDI

rFactor has failed (for me) but with no fault from ISI. The community has filled the modding scene with rubbish, and ignored the few gems which can shine through the masses of crap. I'm just tired of it. iRacings cost isn't as bad as I expected, and the quality is high enough to warrant it. I'm still not overly happy with the history of the company, but if this is what it takes to get high quality, organised racing in a safe league environment then this is what I'll do I guess.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 17, 2009 07:33AM

May 16, 2009 - iRacing.com is proud to announce it's joining forces with NASCAR to create the sanctioning body's first officially licensed and sanctioned online competition division. The fact that iRacing is now a partner in NASCAR-Sanctioned Online Racing is not only a landmark development for the company, it's a tribute to the talent, competitive spirit and sportsmanship of the more than 12,000 members who have joined the iRacing family since 2008.

"Our members are passionate about racing," said John Henry, iRacing's co-founder and chairman. "They love to drive, and they love to compete. And they do it in the context of their overall love for racing in both the physical and virtual worlds. We're pleased that iRacing has been chosen as the home of NASCAR-Sanctioned Online Racing and expect that many of NASCAR's most avid fans will find iRacing's NASCAR-sanctioned series a great way to deepen their connection to and enjoyment of the sport."

The new partnership represents a bit of déjà vu for iRacing co-founder, CEO and CTO Dave Kaemmer whose previous company, Papyrus Design Group, developed several popular NASCAR simulation titles including the ever-popular NASCAR Racing: 2003 Season.

"This is sort of a homecoming for me and several members of the development team," Kaemmer said. "Our NASCAR roots date back to the 1990s. We're thrilled NASCAR shares our vision of internet racing as a new branch of motorsport. With the power of NASCAR behind us, iRacing and our growing global community are about to take another big step forward."

The new partnership was announced this afternoon at Lowe's Motor Speedway during a press conference hosted jointly by NASCAR and iRacing.com, and attended by representatives from many leading media outlets in the motor sports arena. They heard NASCAR officials confirm what iRacing members already know, regardless of the cars or series in which they compete.

"The iRacing product is so realistic that a number of our NASCAR drivers, including Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Brad Keselowski, A.J. Allmendinger, Marcos Ambrose and Colin Braun are already iRacing members," said Blake Davidson, NASCAR managing director of licensed products. "From the beginning these drivers have raved about the incredible accuracy of the cars and the tracks that iRacing has produced and their involvement, along with NASCAR Competition, in the development will make the experience even more authentic."

The fact that NASCAR iRacing will be "authentic NASCAR competition" was underlined by the fact that Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president of competition, was much in evidence at the announcement.

"Over the years, many of our drivers have helped develop their skills by participating in virtual training like iRacing," he said. "It's exciting to now have an online NASCAR-sanctioned series like iRacing that will be entertaining for our fans and help provide them with a greater understanding of what it takes to be a NASCAR race car driver."

Further details on the 2010 NASCAR-sanctioned series will be made available later this year.

Not just a NASCAR license. A NASCAR Sanctioned series.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 17, 2009 10:20AM
Posted by: Guimengo
For anyone wanting to try it out there's a 3-month for $25 deal going on, my promo code is PRLZQJ4H4FC2P3S7FWN48UAJ9J5. Feel free to use it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy