iRacing

Posted by NeilPearson 
Re: iRacing
Date: July 16, 2008 11:43PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
The thing is if you pay money for iracing, you are just encouraging this type of pillaging and telling them it's ok. Hell, i've even seen a large majority on race sim central basically belittling anyone that says they aren't going to get it, saying things along the line of if you are too poor for it or don't think it's worth it then tough look and looking down on them. The elitism plays into iracings hands really, as it seems to have spawned lots of fanboys. I have no doubts the feel of the game will be the best there is - but to people like that, saying anything other than lavishly praising every aspect of it and you would get them riled and abusive.

H E L L O
Date: July 17, 2008 05:00AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Daniel, I dont agree with people abusing others who say they arent going to get it, everyone is open to there own opinion on everything. unless it deviates from mine ;)

For me, it is most definatly worth it, I just got my years subscription, and just before that had the BEST late model race ever. It was intense and the track is so small and fast. wow. swapping positions constantly, and managed to hold on to my 6th place by running on the oustide, keeping the engine revving and momentum going so i was fast down the straights.

the thing that I am liking alot about iRacing is you do have to pay for it. and you do have to advance though the licences through not crashing/skill. So since everyone wants to get the most for there money and advance through, the racing is usualy very clean and will give room. everyone has there off races so your not going to get rid of it totally.

And daniel, sure its expensive, but its not pillaging, i decided that right now this is my hobby. I spent far more on remote control car parts than i ever will on iRacing. and iRacing is alot more fun.

Date: July 17, 2008 07:24AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
It will still be a while before we open our doors to the general public, but you’ve either been nominated by one of our former beta testers or been selected from our public site registrants database for this exclusive offer to join iRacing.com for a one-month trial subscription before our general launch.

[snip]

To get on track now, activate your one-month subscription at [removed]. Insert your personal promotional code [removed], and the monthly subscription package will automatically be selected. The cost is $20 and must be paid with a credit or debit card. The system will guide you through the process of downloading the software, calibrating your controls, and getting started.

iRacing is NOT open to the public. It is an invite only system, where you pay for an unfinished product. I'm not saying its a bad product though.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 17, 2008 10:50AM
Posted by: gav
Apparently it's bloody good, I'm just not interested in most of the content available. As much as I'd love to organise my own races, for how long, in what format, I'd be happy to race in a structured system providing it is opened up eventually. It's working at the moment with a limited number, so clearly it's not the be all and end all. After a handful of laps at LRP I just feel the same as I felt when driving the GPL '65 cars - that it was all just too easy. I've not tapped into the system yet to tweak FFB and things, and I'm sure it would help, but I just feel rather underwhelmed with it so far. That said, I'm not exactly full of motivation in any sim racing at the moment - I'm just getting a bit bored with everything. I'll come around to it in the end I guess.

DanielK: While I agree what you say regarding any belittling and sniping, I'm all for a subscription format. It gives developers motivation to continue to develop and evolve a product, whereas something like GPx just stagnated, relying on the community to do their developing for them. While the community can develop a product, primarily in ways not available to a developer, it's all very different. WoW, while not interesting me in the slightest, must be as popular as it is for a reason.

My main complaint is that it just costs too much. It's not expensive enough to put me off it (if I ever get into it), but surely they'd make more by lowering the cost by half and encouraging more to sign up. Have a month's free trial too, which might just hook more into it.

Face it. Windows will be subscription one day, as will any commercial software of note. The world is already 1 step ahead in that we've already got plenty of internet only apps, where all you have installed is a shortcut. It's going to happen.
Date: July 17, 2008 11:22AM
Posted by: Glyn
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But the iRacing content isn't free though.

I was just comparing the price of it to WoW with the subscriptions, in that while the iRacing software and the basic content is free, you have to pay a subscription to use it. Where in WoW you get a free month or two, but you have to pay for the software first. After that, with both games you need to pay for additional content (cars & tracks in iRacing, addon packs in WoW).

I probably share the same opinion Neil posted (and probably what Koop would post if he saw this thread) but it's never going to be for everyone. Lots of people like the open nature of rFactor and it's free addons, where we quite like the much more structured approach iRacing offers, even if I personally think the price of the addons is a bit too pricey.

Date: July 17, 2008 11:26AM
that solstice car is really @#$%& gav. especially on rookie. Took me forever to get out of the rookie class in it.

The Late model is just awesome, im in love with it.

Dave, is rfactor the same now as it was when it was first released? so in effect we could say that was unfinished when you first purchased it...

Date: July 17, 2008 11:43AM
rFactor content was added because the sales pattern was much more impressive than expected. Higher and it kept selling well for far longer than any of them expected. The rFactor added content was decided after the release and because licenses came along. Intel/BMW content for example.

Secondly, by using the logic "If it has changed since release, then it isn't finished" you could claim *every* piece of software known to man was released unfinished, which of course is the most backwards way of looking at it possible.

Apparently it's bloody good, I'm just not interested in most of the content available.

In all honesty I've given up trying to read opinions on it. Whilst we all expected it to be good, finding out how good has been impossible since RSC is discouraging the posting of negative comments on it, and allowing negative posters to be lynched on the forum. The same happens for Simbin (no surprise there, since they own the RSC server). As far as I know there is no other major iRacing forum about, so I'm finding it difficult to read just how good it actually is.

WoW, while not interesting me in the slightest, must be as popular as it is for a reason.

WoW is popular because it is the Gran Turismo of its world. It is dumbed down enough to make any random n00b feel like a gaming God, whilst masking itself with a layer of hardcoreness.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2008 11:44AM by DaveEllis.
Date: July 17, 2008 12:09PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> In all honesty I've given up trying to read
> opinions on it. Whilst we all expected it to be
> good, finding out how good has been impossible
> since RSC is discouraging the posting of negative
> comments on it, and allowing negative posters to
> be lynched on the forum. The same happens for
> Simbin (no surprise there, since they own the RSC
> server). As far as I know there is no other major
> iRacing forum about, so I'm finding it difficult
> to read just how good it actually is.

To be fair, I've visited RSC perhaps a couple of times in the past month, and always for the GPL section. I couldn't even tell you where the iR section is, so no biased comments. I'm just going off what the VT members are saying about it. Koop's in love with it, and Neil too. Stewart Grove less so, but he's been involved since the BETA. Rich seems to have a similar opinion on it to me.
Date: July 17, 2008 03:01PM
gav Wrote:

> To be fair, I've visited RSC perhaps a couple of
> times in the past month, and always for the GPL
> section. I couldn't even tell you where the iR
> section is, so no biased comments. I'm just going
> off what the VT members are saying about it.
> Koop's in love with it, and Neil too. Stewart
> Grove less so, but he's been involved since the
> BETA. Rich seems to have a similar opinion on it
> to me.

both neil's thank you

Date: July 19, 2008 03:05PM
The word online is that iRacing has been cracked and several people are playing without having paid any money. that is pretty bad news. Not for iRacing, won't make much difference to them - but to the drivers. If its true (find it hard to believe tbh) then it introduces wreckers to the system.

Also, me and Neil were discussing what would happen in the event of David Noonan updating his 3D Sim Ed and TRKMaker tools for iRacing. Hes cracked every other sim format, and given iRacing is a modified NR2003 track format, it could only be a matter of time. The communities (iRacing/NR2003/rFactor/GTR2) would go into complete meltdown.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 19, 2008 08:27PM
if its true its been hacked then i hope iRacing are able to squash it quick, as dave says the people who havent paid some will be out to wreck :(

And the track editing, it will hurt iRacing more, with lack of sales but i also think it might bring back law suits from them if it does happen...

Date: July 20, 2008 12:53PM
Posted by: chet
Abit lost here. Whats wrong with track editing?

Cant the guy make tracks, if you've paid for the game whats wrong with getting news ones?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 20, 2008 01:03PM
chet Wrote:
> Abit lost here. Whats wrong with track editing?
>
> Cant the guy make tracks, if you've paid for the
> game whats wrong with getting news ones?

its converting the iRacing tracks to other games we are talking about.

u cant use any tracks from other games in iRacing anyway, and why would you want to? eveything avalible right now is substandard compared to them. and im not just saying that they are 100% accurate down to bumps and everything

Date: July 20, 2008 01:53PM
chet Wrote:
> Abit lost here. Whats wrong with track editing?
>
> Cant the guy make tracks, if you've paid for the
> game whats wrong with getting news ones?

And looking at it from your perspective, it's less of an issue with standard games (such as GP4 or F1C) where you've paid your money and that's that - license chasers are less likely come after you. With things like iRacing, you've not paid for the game, you're continually paying for it - it's subscription based, and as such the license is rolling and changing, they're releasing new material (initially anyway - we'll see how long it lasts for), such as the Riley Mk XX Daytona Prototype they've just announced, so licensing issues are a little pricklier.

We know from the NR2003 saga the view iRacing take on modding. Unfortunately, it's the way the world is at the moment. They don't want to leave themselves open to (rather large) lawsuits.
Date: July 20, 2008 02:01PM
iRacing still haven't broken there own trend of boring cars. A Daytona Prototype? Seriously? It's slower than a Porsche GT3 and has next to no downforce. It isn't really appealing to the people who think the current car selection is too dull to pay a license for.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 24, 2008 03:44PM
Posted by: richardd
I think one of the main problems that people seem to forget with regards to iracing is, look at what they were intending to do with the product. They don't intend for it to be a "game" open to every joe bloggs on the street. They want to have their own, dedicated sim-racing community. They're basically trying to treat it as a real racing series, just taking place on the net instead of on real tracks. You could call it elitist and whatever, but if that was their intention, then you can't fault them really.

As for the product itself... I signed up for a month subscription, runs out pretty soon, and I have't renewed it. It's more down to plain lack of time for me more than anything else. You've got to be totally dedicated to it and race alot imo to fully enjoy it.

It's alot of money to pay out if you aren't anything less than a regular sim-racer. I do think it's a bit on the pricey side. I got no problem with the subscription but I'd like to see ALL the cars and tracks opened up once you've subscribed.

Initial feel of the cars just left me feeling a bit, deflated. It was, ok. Certainly at some point I'll probably go back to it and attack it with a bit more gusto, but it wasn't enough to hook me instantly.

NR2003/GTP and GPL had me hooked instantly, and still have. They're fun almost every time I drive them and for now I'm quite happy sticking with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2008 03:45PM by richardd.
Date: March 17, 2009 05:23PM
Posted by: mika19b
Sorry to go thread digging here but I didn't want to start another thread up!

Has anyone here had any problem's with their card being stopped due to their bank's fraud protection thinking iRacing is bad?

Some people on the LFS forum reported it and I wanted to check see if anyone has had a problem here?

I want to try iRacing out for a month but I only got my card today and I don't want it to spazz out my account on the first day! :/

Im with Alliance & Leicester.
Date: March 17, 2009 05:43PM
The problem was fixed. The problem was with the Radical Free Trial. Some cards do not allow authorisations for $0, which is why they were declined. iRacing fixed it.

If it is declined for another reason then you need to speak to your bank.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 17, 2009 05:58PM
Posted by: mika19b
DaveEllis Wrote:
> The problem was fixed. The problem was with the
> Radical Free Trial. Some cards do not allow
> authorisations for $0, which is why they were
> declined. iRacing fixed it.
>
> If it is declined for another reason then you need
> to speak to your bank.

Cheers for the info Dave :)

Think I will give it a go tomorrow then when I get paid.
Date: March 17, 2009 07:14PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Before you throw your money away....

Free 1-month trial:
[theracingline.net]

if that doesn't work, [www.radicalsportscars.com] and PM Dave for his e-mail so you can enter in the field for who recommended you ;-).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy