Top Gear Presenter Richard Hammond Injured

Posted by intweb 
Re: Top Gear Presenter Richard Hammond Injured
Date: January 30, 2007 08:10AM
Posted by: chrislewis
Don't know if you heard this over in the UK but it seems the jet owner says it's Hammond's fault.

[www.smh.com.au]

Date: January 30, 2007 03:36PM
Posted by: Muks_C
that's what JC said, that he should have pulled the 'chute when he saw the tyre was failing, then he joked that he (JC) would have stopped it in time, and that Richard probably couldn't see the tyre because he wasn't using his EU safety booster seat.

but in the heat of the moment when you're travelling at nearly 300mph, you're not exactly looking at your tyre, are you? and the vibrations would have meant his vision wouldn't have been too good either.

lol at James May, he said he'd have pulled the 'chute before setting off!

oh yeah i liked it when JC said they won't be making a fuss over Richard, then had the stairs with the dancing girls! and then called him Princess Di.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2007 08:45PM by Muks_C.
Date: January 30, 2007 04:21PM
Posted by: gav
To be fair, you could see the tyre was failing long before it let go, even on the earlier runs - it was in the process of delaminating at one side. That's not a problem of Richard's, that's the support crew, who came from the owner himself (he may even have been the suppost, who knows).

I don't mind critising people quickly, but as Muks said, come on... he was doing 288mph when the thing failed, still 230mph when it flipped over. Hammond isn't a super being who built the thing - he's a normal driver like you or I, and his natural reaction in such an instance is to hit the brakes. He didn't even have time to hit the brakes - you can clearly see the wheel gets almost yanked out of his hands instantly. Nothing was going to prevent what happened.

I'm severely doubting whether this guy actually said what he did, or if he's got a business running them and is worried about scaring away potential customers.
Date: January 30, 2007 05:01PM
Posted by: Peat
This guys comments are such BS. Watch the whole thing again.
When he is on the 2nd run (1st one with afterburner) Richard is CACKING himself, he doesnt blink once! Eyes on stalks looking straight ahead, 100% concentrating on keeping the thing in a straight line.

For sure with experience he could have had the time to notice the delaminating tyre. But this was only the 3rd time he had driven it, it would still be as mind-blowing as the first time.

And as for the 'He didnt stick to the brief by hitting the brakes': Thats BS too, the power of the blown tyre can be clearly seen in the way that the whole chassis of the car 'ripples' with the explosion, this then cause the whole thing to twist and lifts the wheels off the ground causing it to bounce. It was already way out of control before he locks the wheels up.

It annoys me that nothing can be allowed to be an accident anymore, there has ALWAYS got to be someone to blame!

[/rant]

EDIT: Just noticed that all clips have been removed from YouTube. Will have to wait for the repeat to see it again...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2007 05:05PM by Peat.
Date: January 30, 2007 06:50PM
Posted by: LS.
and it was from a elevated position in regard to where hammonds point of view was, the camera didnt take into account how much it would have been vibrating and effecting richards vision

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: January 30, 2007 08:50PM
yeah like i said LS, he won't have been able to keep his eyes on the bad patch of the tyres, even if he wanted to, and if he hadn't been scared so much to be looking straight ahead.

Richard should call up Claims Direct, surely he's got a worthy case here! where there's a blame, there's a claim, as they say. the owner of the car should be held responsible for not checking the tyre, or instructing his guys to check them before each run. even better practice would be to routinely change the tyres after every run, but i don't know how feasible that would be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2007 08:51PM by Muks_C.
Date: February 04, 2007 08:06PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
hugh grant, one more person we know for sure isn't the stig

so we're narrowing it down ;)

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2007 08:06PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Date: February 04, 2007 08:15PM
darn, i had a million quid on him being The Stig!

Date: February 05, 2007 01:23AM
good show again, and Kirky, were you on-screen at any point in the show?

notice JC using the same metaphor twice, about falling down the stairs? first in the studio, then again in the roadtest.

Date: February 05, 2007 08:11AM
Posted by: Nickv
Ah, so I did hear it the right way :P
Date: February 05, 2007 04:29PM
Posted by: chet
Damn missed it!!

And the crash, the same would have happened to anyone who has not done this type of thing before, so before anyone says he could have/should have noticed it is not making a valid argument.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 05, 2007 05:48PM
Posted by: gav
Wednesday, 7pm, BBC2 for the rerun.
Date: February 05, 2007 05:59PM
Thankyou :D!

Perfect time, and something to do before I go out :)!

Date: February 05, 2007 10:06PM
yep Chet, it could have happened to even someone who had done it 100 times before, if the relevant people/person didn't check the tyre before that particular run.

Date: February 11, 2007 10:08PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
OMG how class was tonights TG!!!!!!! LMFAO!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 11, 2007 10:20PM
Posted by: LS.
Nascar sucks

lol :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: February 11, 2007 10:22PM
@#$%&, missed it, and i'll miss Tuesdays show !

Grr, iam at home though, so i'll get some to tape it !

Date: February 11, 2007 10:46PM
Posted by: MarcA
"Have I been putting tents up too long, or is there a cow on the roof of your car?"

Date: February 12, 2007 12:05AM
Posted by: kizz360
Fat Stig rofl ;)

Date: February 12, 2007 01:04AM
Chet, the repeat is on Wednesday at 7pm (just before Dragon's Den), not Tuesday.

and that was probably the first time Richard nearly got killed, filmed before his accident.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy