Top Gear Presenter Richard Hammond Injured

Posted by intweb 
Re: Top Gear Presenter Richard Hammond Injured
Date: September 25, 2006 12:14AM
Posted by: gav
They were showing some highlights last week, and scheduled again tonight. The Beeb have cancelled all Top Gear related broadcasts in light of recent events. No news on when they'll be resuming, and that includes series 9.

Frankly it doesn't matter either.
Date: September 25, 2006 12:22PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
but then again you could argue that the he got injured while making something for us to watch, so by not watching the program that he was injured in while filming, his crash was pointless lol

keep top gear on!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: September 25, 2006 03:21PM
Posted by: Muks_C
that could have happened to any driver in the world in that car, whether it was going to be shown on TG or not. this accident should not be any reason to stop the series or stop the show completely.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2006 08:44PM by Muks_C.
Date: September 25, 2006 04:00PM
Posted by: MrMan
The Beeb said they don't want to start the new series until the three of them are back together. As in Hamster is able todo the in studio bits.

Date: September 25, 2006 04:40PM
Posted by: MarcLister
MrMan Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The Beeb said they don't want to start the new series until the three
> of them are back together. As in Hamster is able todo the in studio
> bits.
>

That's what I reckon. The actual driving scenes are pre-recorded. Its the studio links that are recorded the week of the broadcast of each episode. And since Hamster will be out of action for a bit, they can't screen the new series with only two of them. How else would us TG viewers know if our screens are too bright or not without Hamster's shining teeth blinding us? ;-)
Date: September 25, 2006 08:54PM
5th Gear also have a get well message to Richard on their site: [fifthgear.five.tv]

Date: September 28, 2006 06:00PM
Posted by: LS.

Richard Hammond has been spotted laughing and smiling and has recovered enough to move hospitals.
The Top Gear presenter was flown to hospital by air ambulance after he was involved in a high-speed crash while filming for the show on 20 September.

Since Richard's crash almost £148,000 has been raised for the air ambulance charity by his fans.

As he left the hospital in Leeds the presenter could be seen laughing and smiling on a stretcher.

The new series of Top Gear was supposed to start on 8 October, but now BBC bosses have said they're not sure if the show will start then.

One of the top people working on the show told a Sunday newspaper the show wouldn't carry on unless Richard wanted to keep presenting it.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: September 28, 2006 07:17PM
Posted by: rocker
great news :)

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
Date: September 28, 2006 07:21PM
Posted by: mikef1
Can you imagine what the ratings will be like when it goes back on air? It's already amazingly popular around the world but with the Hammster back after his 300mph mega shunt it will be bigger comeback than Elvis in '68 :P.
Date: September 28, 2006 09:57PM
Posted by: Bernie The Bolt
Finally. Hammond is bigger than someone.
Date: September 28, 2006 10:02PM
Posted by: gary42
Well, I suppose he's about as tall as Elvis was wide

Date: September 29, 2006 07:02PM
good to see his ultra-bright smile!

got this in my inbox the other day from PetrolPrices.com:

"Hi User,

A lot of commentators have slammed BBC's Top Gear in the past week since Richard Hammond's crash, saying the show encourages dangerous driving. There are rumors that the BBC may even axe the show.

We want to know what you think, so we've set up a vote on our petrol blog, the results of which we intend to take to the BBC.

PetrolPrices Blog: Fan's fear as Top Gear May Be Axed

Thanks for your help,

Brendan

--
Brendan McLoughlin

Co-Founder
PetrolPrices.com

p: 01252 367 228
e: brendan@petrolprices.com"

---------------------

check the link for comments, what a f***ing moron the person who posted the 1st comment is!

i see absolutely no argument about this, the guy was driving a car designed to do those speed, in an attempt to break the records ferchrissakes! and they had taken all reasonable precautions.

if he had been trying to do 200mph in a roadcar on a public highway, with no safety precautions, then i'd agree the stunt and Top Gear were promoting dangerous and irresponsible driving, but i just can't see how people can equate what they were attempting with being wreckless. it baffles me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2006 07:52PM by Muks_C.
Date: September 29, 2006 07:25PM
Posted by: gin
its funny how they said he has "signifficant brain damage" and then we seem him alert and smiling a few days later...............or maybe he is a vegetable now?

Date: September 29, 2006 07:32PM
Posted by: gav
No, they said he has had a significant brain injury. Very different.
Date: September 29, 2006 07:53PM
probably it just shaking around a lot and becoming bruised (like it says in the article LS posted on the previous page), but not actually being damaged, if you get what i mean.

Date: September 29, 2006 08:00PM
According to Hammonds neurosurgeon its going to take 6 months of treatment until he's fully recovered, this type of injury can suddenly take a turn for the worse immaedately, by bleeding on the brain.

His surgeon said he's not out of the woods yet

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 29, 2006 08:02PM
lol at the looney liberal twat that posted the original reply, even more so at the responses he recieved

I appreciate it's sad that Hammond had a car crash, but we shouldn't make him lose his TV job at the BBC because of it. Who is going to go out and copy Hammond's drive? How many people do you know with a 300mph car and a runway in their back yard?

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 29, 2006 08:15PM
Posted by: MarcLister
What I don't get about these morons moaning about Top Gear is that surely 5th Gear is the same or similar. I don't watch it so I don't know how adventurous they are with cars compared to Top Gear but surely 5th Gear is potentially as bad as Top Gear for "reckless" driving?

And wasn't it Noel Edmonds on the BBC Breakfast show saying if Top Gear is banned then isn't it easy to then ban F1 and all other forms of motorsport?

As far as I am concerned, Top Gear is quality. That 1 hour show on a Sunday night is easily some of the best TV that I watch and that is available in the UK. If the BBC banned Top Gear to pander to the morons wanting it banned I'd be pretty annoyed and I would complain to the BBC.

Being a Top Gear fan doesn't make me want to drive recklessly. I know that Clarkson, May, Hamster, The Stig and any other drivers they have on the show are trained and know how to drive fast cars safely. But seeing them drive fast doesn't make me want to. Just like seeing bloody Rothmans, Winfield, Marlboro, West, Benson & Hedges etc etc doesn't make me want to smoke. As people have said, the tobacco ads only make people who already smoke change brands from their current one just because their favourite F1 team is sponsored by another brand. Or their favourite driver drives for a team sponsored by another tobacco firm.
Date: September 29, 2006 08:15PM
yeah read a few of them.

2 years ago, my uncle had sudden severe headaches, and got it checked out. it was bleeding between the brain and the skull, with the build-up of blood pressing on the brain causing the pain (can't remember what it's called, something like subdural heamatoma). all they could do was to recommend he rest as much as possible, and take certain pills. he also had a ringing in his hears for a few weeks afterwards, but it's all ok now. but he's 67 so it could be different to Richards injury.

Date: September 29, 2006 08:21PM
was your uncle in a 300 mph dragster that had a tyre blow out? ;)

LS's Tip of the week
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy