Top Gear Presenter Richard Hammond Injured

Posted by intweb 
Re: Top Gear Presenter Richard Hammond Injured
Date: September 21, 2006 03:45PM
Posted by: anze89
holly sh!t!

I've been watching top gear on youtube (as our TV doesn't have BBC) and he seems a nice guy. Hope he gets well soon!

Date: September 21, 2006 04:07PM
Posted by: skel
marcl Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> there is a pic of whats left of the car on bbc website.
>
> The top of the car is flat but it did stand up well the roll hoop is
> gone though

Not to mention the fact he's a squirt ;) That had to help a little.

-------------------------------------------------------
SKEL

You can accuse a person of just about anything and get away with it, as long as you don't call them a lousy lover or bad driver. -Jackie Stewart
Date: September 21, 2006 04:43PM
Posted by: gav
marcl Wrote:
> there is a pic of whats left of the car on bbc website.
>
> The top of the car is flat but it did stand up well the roll hoop is
> gone though

Erm... that's the back of the car. None of the cockpit or roll-over hoop is shown. I've seen a pic of the full car covered in a tarpalin (think that was a pic on the BBC site earlier), and while it's hard to tell if the roll-over hoop is intact or not, there was certainly something still there.

As for the callers on about the speed and the glorifying, I knew as soon as I heard Hammond had been injured they'd all jump up kicking and screaming as if war had decended on their little villages. Top Gear doesn't glorify speed anymore than Crufts entices dogs to bite people. If I want to speed, I'll speed, and watching Jezza going sideways around a corner isn't going to tempt me. If someone commits crime on the roads, Top Gear isn't the reason, and as opportune moments go for making your point, it could only have been made worse had the poor sod died. I've a feeling they'd have liked that.
Date: September 21, 2006 05:20PM
Posted by: marcl
yes there was a pic on before of the top of the car now its the back
Date: September 21, 2006 05:50PM
Posted by: Willb
humn, i dont know how legit this site is , but some people might want the link :

[www.justgiving.com]|

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: September 21, 2006 06:02PM
Posted by: Muks_C
just heard on Radio 1, doctors have said he received a significant brain injury, but he should make a good recovery.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 21, 2006 08:05PM
the pic is back on bbc

he has a seroius brain injury.

i feel well bad about it even though dont know him i used to love top gear when he was on it
Date: September 21, 2006 08:24PM
it's not even that he was just good on Top Gear. he's a nice, enthusiastic, friendly man on everything he ever does.

the news on ITV showed aerial pics of the car without the tarpaulin on it, and some stock footage of it driving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2006 08:24PM by Muks_C.
Date: September 21, 2006 08:26PM
Posted by: ralv585
it doesn't look good guys, doctors say he's suffering from seroius brain injuries :(

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Date: September 21, 2006 08:31PM

the car in 2000:

Date: September 21, 2006 09:26PM
Posted by: gav
They cut the roll-cage away. All that's left is a stump.

Have to say, if it did go off doing 250mph+ then it's stayed remarkably intact. Mighty impressive for something so flimsey-looking.
Date: September 21, 2006 09:50PM
Posted by: LS.
Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond suffered a "significant brain injury" after the 370mph jet-powered car he was driving crashed on an airfield, doctors said.

The 36-year-old is in a serious but stable condition at Leeds General Infirmary, where friends and family are keeping a bedside vigil following Wednesday's accident at Elvington airfield near York.

His father expressed fears about the injuries he received when the record-breaking Vampire dragster veered off the runway, flipped over several times and crashed on to grass. Alan Hammond, who is looking after his son's daughters Willow, two, and Isabella, five, in Gloucestershire, said the family was unsure if the presenter would live or die.

"It is a very hard time for both me and my wife. We are just hoping that Richard pulls through. At the moment we are not sure if he is going to live or die. His children are very confused," he told the Evening Standard.

But Richard's brother, speaking to reporters at the hospital in Leeds, was more upbeat. He said: "He's making a bit of good progress. Both his brothers are here and his wife. The doctors are very pleased."

Doctors at the hospital said the brain injury gave them "cause for concern" but added that they were "reasonably optimistic" he would make a good recovery.

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson paid tribute to Hammond as he visited him with co-presenter James May. Clarkson said: Obviously at this time both he and his family are the most important concerns we have. It must be devastating for his wife Mindy and his two utterly adorable children.

"I would just like to say how heartened Richard will be when I tell him just how many motorists and truck drivers on my way here wound down their windows to say they were rooting for him. Both James and I are looking forward to getting our 'Hamster' back."

Police and safety experts have launched an investigation into the crash, which happened after Hammond had been driving at speeds close to 300mph as part of filming for the show.

The BBC has refused to comment on reports that May was originally due to drive the Vampire for the programme, but switched places with his colleague ahead of the event. The corporation has launched its own investigation into the crash. Organisers - who have denied reports that Hammond was trying to break the British land speed record - said the "highest" safety standards had been followed in preparation for filming.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: September 21, 2006 09:51PM
Posted by: skel
I'm a little suprised that it wasn't designed for the jet to break off in a crash, as i'm sure most of the weight is there (and the rest of the rear) like in an F1 car. The important bit is the monocoque where the driver is.

Looking at the images and using my non-existant knowledge of jet powered cars, and how they say it happened when he pulled the chute, i'd say there was mechanical failure. The apparent gouge in the runway before the skid marks would suggest something grounding and pulling the car into the skid. There is a chance the car was out of control before he "pulled the chute" but I highly doubt it. Look at the skid marks; the car appears to have rotated over 90 degrees in a very short distance (by the fact the skid marks from the rear wheels merge just after the car left the dark area of runway.)

-------------------------------------------------------
SKEL

You can accuse a person of just about anything and get away with it, as long as you don't call them a lousy lover or bad driver. -Jackie Stewart

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2006 09:52PM by skel.
Date: September 21, 2006 09:54PM
Posted by: LS.
Tyre exploded from what i read

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: September 21, 2006 10:11PM
Posted by: danm
i read that it was one of the parachutes failing, causing it to drag to the right thus rolling...

this is terrible :(

'TV HOST HAMMOND IN 300 MILES PER HOUR DRAGSTER CRASH

British TV presenter RICHARD HAMMOND is in a critical condition in hospital after crashing a jet car at nearly 300 miles (483 kilometres) per hour. The 36-year-old was filming BBC car show TOP GEAR yesterday (20SEP06) afternoon when the accident happened at a former Royal Air Force airfield near York, England. He was rushed to Leeds General Infirmary by air ambulance. The father-of-two, who presents Top Gear alongside JEREMY CLARKSON and JAMES MAY, is believed to have been trying to break the British land speed record in a dragster. Former fireman DAVE OGDEN, who now runs company Event Fire Services, was one of the first on the scene. He says, "On the previous run, the car had just gone over 300 miles per hour but I am not sure if it had broken the record. "They had just done one more run and were planning to finish when it veered off to the right. One of the parachutes had deployed but it went on to the grass and spun over and over before coming to a rest about 100 yards from us. "The car turned upside down and Richard's head dug into the ground, with his helmet surrounded by soil. "We got him out and he showed us areas of pain which was a good sign he was able to talk to us. He was still breathing at that point but in distress. He was drifting in and out of consciousness a little bit."
21/09/2006 02:32 '

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2006 10:13PM by danm.
Date: September 21, 2006 10:16PM
Posted by: MarcA
"I would just like to say how heartened Richard will be when I tell him just how many motorists and truck drivers on my way here wound down their windows to say they were rooting for him. Both James and I are looking forward to getting our 'Hamster' back."

Awh, that's nice.

Date: September 21, 2006 10:34PM
Posted by: danm
James May was suppose to drive but changed it to Richard last minute the day before! (accoring to a report on sky)

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: September 21, 2006 10:58PM
Posted by: MarcA
Cars like that don't have paracutes beside each other, just in the middle as it is a potential danger.

Date: September 21, 2006 11:14PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Muks_C Wrote:
> he received a significant brain injury, but he should make a good recovery.

??? isn't that like an oxymoron :(

H E L L O
Date: September 21, 2006 11:24PM
mika, and da matta both did as well and look at mika

so u just never know, if they got there fast enough he could make a good recovery i am still shocked tbh was only watching top gear the other day on uk gold.

The 3 guys together were just so good all totally different and just made the show feel so homely.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy