2010 Testing Thread

Posted by Fincent 
Re: 2010 Testing Thread
Date: February 11, 2010 07:20PM
Posted by: EC83
Good that Jenson seems to be settling down OK at McLaren. Hopefully the rest of his testing goes well to set him up as well as possible for the season.

Date: February 11, 2010 07:38PM
Posted by: marcl
Yes was good to read and good to find out why its so stop start for them. They are doing set up work and back to back tests with it.
Date: February 11, 2010 11:03PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
Well, after today, I think we can safely say Virgin is definitely following in the footsteps of Virgin Cola. Npt quite The Real Thing, a bit on the cheap side, and a bit @#$%&.

[Website]
Date: February 12, 2010 01:55AM
Date: February 12, 2010 01:57AM
Posted by: zulu_85
Nah, I'd say give them a little more time. I really like the team so I *hope* they're not miles off the pace come Bahrain, and it is still early days, technically (I guess). Otherwise, given that they're the most advanced brand new team...common, 10 seconds off the pace? No one's been *that* slow since, what, Life?
Date: February 12, 2010 02:03AM
MasterCard Lola.

Date: February 12, 2010 08:18AM
Posted by: gav
Read the bloody thread. They're not 10 seconds off the pace. They only did 11 laps, 9 of which were done in damp conditions. I repeat, when Glock and Button had done the same number of laps early on, the Virgin was 4 seconds faster than the McLaren. How the hell can anyone read anything into that? They were just doing installation laps!
Date: February 12, 2010 08:25AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Virgin stopped running due to not having enough spares to continue. Still don't know whether the wing just fell off or if he hit a kerb.

The wing broke on a straight under high load. It is thought to be a defective part, but they'll test more tomorrow.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 12, 2010 05:42PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Alguersuari fastest after more heavy rain - he's now the youngest guy to top a test day as well as enter a race :-) ;)
Date: February 12, 2010 10:49PM
Posted by: Xero
Anyone spot McLaren's fancy new toys ? Must be to measure the airflow into the sidepods.

Date: February 12, 2010 11:32PM
Meh, reminds me of the testing 1 year ago when they were sticking what looked like cheesegraters to their diffuser.

Date: February 13, 2010 12:02AM
Posted by: chet
Ah the birdcage? :p!

I think their testing regime so far sums up Mclaren, if its not perfect, its not right! Im assuming that all these measuring devices are simply to get better readings for their sim and CFD and validate the previous data. They wont be able to this kind of testing until next winter! I guess the results you get from straight-line testing are all at a steady-state whilst at a track values can be taken at all sorts of conditions (The device Button tested I guessed measuring the front wheel wake in straightline and yaw conditions - its perhaps the messiest area of an F1 car and would be be difficult to get right in CFD!).

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 13, 2010 12:08AM
Posted by: Slash
where's the usf1 and campos???
i think stefan gp is going to have the car ready in time.... the problm is this guys hav yet to put the car on track, how do they think they're going to put it on the grid in Bahrain?.. i'm starting to believe Bernie's words
Date: February 13, 2010 07:49PM
Posted by: gin
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
They wont be
> able to this kind of testing until next winter!

why not? what happens next winter??

Date: February 13, 2010 08:09PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Slash Wrote:
> where's the usf1 and campos???

The last thing USF1 said was that they were about to begin crash testing their car and it would take about a day, that was on the 8th or 9th. I'm guessing by their silence that it didn't go too well and a redesign of something has had to be taken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2010 08:10PM by Team CLR.
Date: February 13, 2010 08:12PM
Posted by: chet
gin Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> They wont be
> > able to this kind of testing until next winter!
>
>
>
> why not? what happens next winter??

In-season testing is banned isnt it... and as i said straight-line testing is pretty much steady-state testing, ie done at a pitlane limiter. The next time they'll get to run around a track is testing. I suspect race weekends will be dedicated for race set-up rather than software/hardware validation

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 13, 2010 08:18PM
Posted by: Frantic
Team CLR Wrote:
> Slash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > where's the usf1 and campos???
>
> The last thing USF1 said was that they were about
> to begin crash testing their car and it would take
> about a day, that was on the 8th or 9th. I'm
> guessing by their silence that it didn't go too
> well and a redesign of something has had to be
> taken.

I heard they re going to test their car in Alabama, in February 24th

Date: February 13, 2010 09:00PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Oh ok, thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2010 09:03PM by Team CLR.
Date: February 13, 2010 11:36PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
remember its also gonna be about tyre wear this season more than most.

car a may be really quick but destroys its tyres in 10 laps as an example.

car b may not be as quick but may make the tyres last 20 laps.

some of the musings tend to suggest that ferrari are the kindest on its tyres but mclaren may have the out and out fastest car.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: February 14, 2010 12:07AM
Posted by: J i m
To be honest with the way winter testing is this year, so restricted etc and the scope of the reg changes though small, the fuel rules bring enough scope with the weight transfer balance change, and narrower front tyres. Throw in the sheer variety of possible fuel loads and test programmes, then add the weather into the equation. I honesty don't think we've seen any representative lap times at all. At the very least we have very limited knowledge of what programmes the teams are running, it's extremely difficult to compare anything at the moment.

I don't think we'll even begin to get a clear picture of the relative performance of the cars until mid way though the race at Bahrain. And that's assuming it'd be a dry race.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy