> > an appeal in previous to stop this kind of
> stuff.
> > As mentioned in other forums, how long is it
> > before Massa gets similar treatment from the
> > Spanish fans?
>
> Whats the problem? We've seen anti-driver signs
> for decades at Silverstone. They aren't being
> racist, just displaying they don't like a driver.

Yup. For example, when Senna ran out of fuel in 1991 he stopped right beside a banner saying "Only nuts come from Brazil!" Nobody had the slightest problem with it IIRC. As long as racist language isn't being used, there's nothing wrong with anti-driver banners IMO. We have to draw the line somewhere between what's correct condemnation of actual racism and what's just political correctness overkill.

Re: 2010 Testing Thread
Date: February 11, 2010 03:20PM
Posted by: Nickv
All this overracting all the time. I couldn't see anything wrong with it. If I can't stand something in todays society it's the fright of someone possibly getting offended. If he is offended, we'll hear it, stop being offended in someone elses place.
Date: February 11, 2010 03:35PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
michael is kind of .... 1 second slower than NICO ... and in better conditions ??? Cant be just fuel load ... or can it ?
Date: February 11, 2010 03:40PM
Posted by: Nickv
It can.
Date: February 11, 2010 04:01PM
Posted by: J i m
As far as it seems... Schumacher is on a long run over 27 laps so far... very probably high fuel, not unlikely to have started with a full tank.

But we really know nothing of the different settings, making test laptimes even more meaningless than usual.

Date: February 11, 2010 04:11PM
Ok a 35 lap run.... so no inkling of what fuel load though.

And it shouldn't go un-noted that Buemi is still quickest for STR. A car that was designed using a piece of tracing paper over last year's RB5 plans no doubt.

Date: February 11, 2010 04:21PM
Posted by: Isaint
I feel that the Torro, Williams & Force india are traveling light, I don't think that the times are representative I fee that starting with Alonso you see what is really happening .......... can't be sure it's all a mystery but that's my gut feeling Not sure about Buttons time either ... light again I think.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 04:28PM by Isaint.
Date: February 11, 2010 04:22PM
Posted by: senninho
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok a 35 lap run.... so no inkling of what fuel
> load though.
>
> And it shouldn't go un-noted that Buemi is still
> quickest for STR. A car that was designed using a
> piece of tracing paper over last year's RB5 plans
> no doubt.

Ah, but if the plans and the tracing paper belonged to the same 'technical partner' it's ok ;)

Date: February 11, 2010 04:24PM
Posted by: marcl
Alonso and MS I think can be compared on their long runs.

Alonso set faster times on his than MS and completed more laps on his run. Yes maybe MS had more fuel but it would need to be quite a bit more fuel.

Are Mer using their new diffuser though? I know they did not last week.
Date: February 11, 2010 05:24PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Kobayashi ends Day 2 on top after a last-minute glory run

1 Kobayashi Sauber 1m19.950s
2 Buemi Toro Rosso 1m20.026s +0.076
3 Button McLaren 1m20.618s +0.668
4 Hulkenberg Williams 1m20.629s +0.679
5 Liuzzi Force India 1m20.754s +0.804
6 Schumacher Mercedes 1m21.083s +1.133
7 Alonso Ferrari 1m21.424s +1.474
8 Kubica Renault 1m22.003s +2.053
9 Webber Red Bull 1m22.043s +2.093
10 Glock Virgin 1m29.964s +10.014

Bad weather is scheduled for the next two days, so today was quite an important day. It will be interesting to see if Red Bull is hampered by the lack of dry running, but it should be ok for them as long as its dry at the next tests.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 11, 2010 05:31PM
Posted by: chet
Wasnt Buemi fastest for much of winter last year too?

Anyway, Mclaren looked as if they were very stop-starty again. In and out the pits alot, I dont think Button really got down to business with a proper long run like Alonso and Schumacher did.

Im sure all is well at Mclaren but i'd feel alot more confortable if they just let Button run for 40 straight laps or something. They also had a mech failure at the end, anybody know more about that?

Virgin arent sending out good vibes to Lotus, Campos or USF1. Virgin again were very stop-starty, though I guess with reason, they have more systems checking than Mclaren I imagine. Still problems such as with the front wing are not good. USF1, and Campos NEED to run their cars for a few days before Bahrain else they could very easily pose a danger to the occupants or other drivers. Virgins problem at first seemed minor but as far as I know it stopped them running for the rest of the day. Theres a good reason they are testing right (and thats it!). Campos and USF1 need to get their arses in gear and get on track.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 11, 2010 05:38PM
Posted by: ferrariman
agreed - new teams should complete a set mileage on tracks before the FIA approve the car
Date: February 11, 2010 06:21PM
Bumei did set the pace last winter, but in the 08 str running mostly 08 areo against mostly 09 cars or cars with 09 areo.

Date: February 11, 2010 06:40PM
Posted by: MrMan
chet Wrote:
> Virgin arent sending out good vibes to Lotus,
> Campos or USF1. Virgin again were very
> stop-starty, though I guess with reason, they have
> more systems checking than Mclaren I imagine.
> Still problems such as with the front wing are not
> good. USF1, and Campos NEED to run their cars for
> a few days before Bahrain else they could very
> easily pose a danger to the occupants or other
> drivers. Virgins problem at first seemed minor but
> as far as I know it stopped them running for the
> rest of the day. Theres a good reason they are
> testing right (and thats it!). Campos and USF1
> need to get their arses in gear and get on track.

Virgin stopped running due to not having enough spares to continue. Still don't know whether the wing just fell off or if he hit a kerb.

Date: February 11, 2010 06:51PM
Posted by: marcl
The wing fell off, I posted the news from the track and its on Autosport.

Does anyone know why Button broke down?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 06:53PM by marcl.
Date: February 11, 2010 06:59PM
Posted by: Ali
Alonso long run has been quite impressive. His last ten laps have been around 1.22. MS didn´t set those times in his stint (and it was shorter)... I really think the Ferrari is a great car.
Button has been quite irregular, I don´t have an opinios on how good the McLaren is.

And for the new teams...I agree, Campos and USF1 cannot go to Bahrain withour a single Km. They are not a low budget team with at least a car from last year...they are a LOW budget team WITHOUT anything from last year, everything is new so they can´t expect to run even 10 laps without any problem. It is dangerous and a pitty for the competition.

Virgin is having a lot of problems to start up the team and they are the advanced ones from the new ones!!!!
Date: February 11, 2010 07:10PM
Posted by: EC83
Schumacher and Alonso are looking very quietly impressive so far, both clearly focusing on the race performance of the car early on. Doing long runs runs like theirs at this stage will have great benefits when we go racing. Basically the opposite of what Kobayashi did today.

Date: February 11, 2010 07:12PM
I think the Virgin problems are relatively easy fixes though.

Date: February 11, 2010 07:13PM
Posted by: LS.
marcl Wrote:

> Does anyone know why Button broke down?

World champion Jenson Button says he is now feeling perfectly comfortable with the McLaren car, after completing his two days of testing at Jerez.

The Briton admitted after the first test in Valencia that he was unable to fully focus on set-up work as he did not feel 100 per cent right inside the car.

But, after two days of work at Jerez, Button says is now fully integrated with the car and feels ready to begin pushing with it.

"My day was good. We did a lot of work yesterday with making sure I'm 100 per cent in the car and that my new home was comfortable. I feel great in the cockpit now," Button told reporters at the end of the day.

"Yesterday was a good day, we did a lot of set-up work in the wet and trying to get to grips with the two different tyres.

"For me today was a better day, because we could go out in the dry and it's the first time I've felt good in the car, good enough within the car to actually do set-up work and find a balance with the car and also work with different components. Today was a positive day.

"There is still a lot of work to do with the car. The basic car itself is a good baseline, I think. Jumping in the car today this morning I was immediately happy with the car, the basic car.

"But I also know there is still a long way to go before we have a car that's capable of winning races, but that's the same for everyone. This is testing."

He added: "A Formula 1 car is a Formula 1 car. There are different ways of getting the best car, but the feeling I have in the car is not that dissimilar to what I'm used to driving. It's not a completely different style of design.

"I feel like at home in this car. I don't drive the car and I feel I'm not a part of this. I feel I can feel everything that's happening with the car, and that's so important when you jump into a new car."

The McLaren driver, who managed 83 laps today, also downplayed the significance of having managed less laps than some of his rivals.

"I would like to do the next two days, definitely," said Button, who will be replaced by team-mate Lewis Hamilton from tomorrow. "But it's not about just going out and putting on as many laps as possible. We know our car is reliable and that's always important.

"When you are testing different things you don't necessarily need big mileage. We are doing back-to-back and set-up work and at the moment for me that's more important that putting big distances on the tyres.

Button caused the final red flag of the day when he stopped his car at Turn 6, but he said the problem was nothing too serious.

"Nothing severe. I had a warning light so I stopped the car. But there's no damage or anything."

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: February 11, 2010 07:18PM
Virgin are sending parts out tonight and hope to get the car running again by the afternoon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy