Malaysian F1 Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***

Posted by Frantic 
Re: Malaysian F1 Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***
Date: March 23, 2008 03:06PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Hamilton had a bad weekend, but it could have been worse, he could have done a 'Massa'. However, I expect Ferrari will issue something along the lines of his car wasnt working etc, or just blame Mclaren - I'm surprised they havent accused them of doing something so far this weekend.

Date: March 23, 2008 03:23PM
Posted by: marcl
lewis did not really look that good last year either in sepang. I know he got 2nd but he was no where near alonso pace.

I dont understand the webber thing, they sair he had an air pressure problem before the race so they stopped early and put extra fuel in. I dont understand how this would affect fuel unless they mean they were not getting as much mpg or something like that.

Tbh people are saying it was a good gp, agree the 1st few laps were then it was a nothing race tbh. We have got to used to cars catching the ones in front and then not being able to pass.

Maybe next year will be different as they keep saying.

I am supprised lewis is still 5th tbh I would have thought they would dq his car due to the moving areo device. Unless it was not even on the car and it was the wheel we could see moving.
Date: March 23, 2008 03:30PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Must we keep making points about the wheel discs being a "movable aero device" - if a front wing is damaged on the last lap, a car will also finish the race with a "movable aero device" - there is a distinction in the rules between damaged cars and ones built against the rules in the first place.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: March 23, 2008 03:42PM
Posted by: marcl
Thats different though.

This was not damaged it was not put on properly.

I just thought someone would ask for it to be looked at thats all. For all anyone knows it could give an advantage but we dont know.
Date: March 23, 2008 03:43PM
Posted by: gav
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> read what i said chet i said dc was heavy on
> fuel.

I got what you meant, but it would help you used grammar occasionally.

Don't they have to show there is damage to the engine, or is that just the gearbox? Ferrari need to get their engine sorted for Bahrain. That's 4 gone in 2 races, and they've only had 2 Ferrari-powered cars finish so far out of a possible 12 (the point not being that the retirement are caused by the engine but that there's obviously less engines to blow up if the rate of retirement is that high.

Regarding the moving wheel covers you mentioned earlier, that's a bit futile. If a front-wing breaks it generally moves around, but it doesn't make it an advantage... I keep getting the impression you love to get all controversial and put things out there, like you're some kind of media pundit trying to find a story that doesn't actually exist.
Date: March 23, 2008 04:00PM
Posted by: Sn0wm4n
marcl Wrote:
> Thats different though.
>
> This was not damaged it was not put on properly.
>
> I just thought someone would ask for it to be
> looked at thats all. For all anyone knows it
> could give an advantage but we dont know.

how can you be so retard? Lewis lost the podium with that pit stop...it's not that it was a plan or something...where was the advantage in a 19 seconds pitstop? Jesus...
Date: March 23, 2008 04:10PM
Posted by: Monza972
Sn0wm4n Wrote:
> marcl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thats different though.
> >
> > This was not damaged it was not put on
> properly.
> >
> > I just thought someone would ask for it to be
> > looked at thats all. For all anyone knows it
> > could give an advantage but we dont know.
>
>
> how can you be so retard? Lewis lost the podium
> with that pit stop...it's not that it was a plan
> or something...where was the advantage in a 19
> seconds pitstop? Jesus...

The main reason is that, mclaren simply haven't practiced their pitstop with the new "frisbees"
Date: March 23, 2008 04:19PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
there more chance of me being us president than mclaren not practising a fundamental part of a gp.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: March 23, 2008 05:12PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
It their fault for copying ferrari ;)

should be disqualified for the spinner too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2008 05:24PM by DJSKYLINE.
Date: March 23, 2008 05:54PM
Posted by: Monza972
DJSKYLINE Wrote:
> It their fault for copying ferrari ;)

Haha and that too
Date: March 23, 2008 06:30PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
LOL Massa bins it again.

He is useless, you know. Nice guy but useless.

Boring race all in all. Malaysia is always a bit wank, the layout is crap, only one racing line, no overtaking, possibly the worst track on the F1 calander bar Barcelona, and I really mean that.

How has everyone's Easter been?
Date: March 23, 2008 06:37PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Sepang is a cool track...dunno why you guys don't like it. The fact that we get few overtakes is obviously not the tracks fault. Massa said he hit the kerb to hard on that corner. Now if he had said only that, I wouldn't be hammering on him, but he also said that the car must've gotten damaged for him to go out like that...he needs to get out of his high horse and see he is not that good.
Date: March 23, 2008 06:55PM
jbnd05 Wrote:
> However, I expect Ferrari will issue something along the
> lines of his car wasnt working etc, or just blame
> Mclaren - I'm surprised they havent accused them
> of doing something so far this weekend.

Unless you just read the media interpretation (or Marc's posts) instead of the actual quotes and subsequent explanation, they never once blamed McLaren for anything.

Apologies to Mr. Red Sam. I read page 16 and quoted Marc on the wheel discs, also giving the front wing example, without actually reading page 17 as I was in a hurry, so never saw he'd already made a reference. Guess we both think his tabloid exclusive was rather superfluous. Expect a small footnote in tomorrow's Sun, prior to which they'll sensationally reveal how Lewis would have actually won by 7 laps had it been correctly fitted.
Date: March 23, 2008 07:05PM
Posted by: mikef1
Great win for Kimi, glad to see his impassive face on the top step again.

Lol @ Massa, guess he forgot about not having TC. I'm guessing he'll be looking for a new drive next year. I reckon he got the hump when Kimi got past and simply lost concentration. Ferrari aren't going to win the constructors if this and their lack of reliability keeps up.

Quite a boring race compared with Aus, was expecting more overtaking, offs and lock ups than we got. Maybe the drivers are getting used to driving without TC better and have adapted (apart from Felipe).

Kubica was brilliant as was Trulli who seems to be much happier now at Toyota, Kovi was steady and consistent and looks like he's starting to hit his stride now, his race pace is very good.

Lewis did a good race considering his pitstop problem dropped him down so far but he seems to be heavier on his brakes and tyres than Heikki and that could possibly cause him problems at certain tracks.

Fernando was consistent but the car had little real pace. His fight with DC was the highlight of the race for me. Well that and Kimi passing Felipe out of the pits.
Date: March 23, 2008 07:39PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Dominant win for Kimi, great podium for Kubica. I must admit I was praying for the Ferrari engine to fail, but not in Vettels car. Hamilton spent the best part of half a race staring at Webber's ugly engine cover, and Trulli did a great job.

I must make one fairly obvious point about the wheel covers BTW. I think McLaren didn't intend for them to move in the 2nd stint, so if they're designed to be stationary, and not rotate, then they'll be fine with the FIA.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 23, 2008 08:10PM
turkey_machine Wrote:
> I must make one fairly obvious point about the
> wheel covers BTW. I think McLaren didn't intend
> for them to move in the 2nd stint, so if they're
> designed to be stationary, and not rotate, then
> they'll be fine with the FIA.

Dude, it's like 10hrs after the race. If we'd have heard a whisper from the race officials*, we'd have heard it by now.

* Tabloid reporters aren't race officials.
Date: March 23, 2008 08:49PM
Posted by: Muks_C
glad i didn't get up for that! recorded it and watched it later in the morning.

Massa = n00b. i think Brundle was being very very kind when he said "he's certainly a world-class driver". i don't know why anybody supports him.

@ Marcl, the frisbee on the right-front of Lewis's car would have been nothing but a hinderance for him, not an advantage in any way. they know they can't have moving discs on the front wheels, so if it does move, it means it's a malfunction or not fitted properly, not something to gain an advantage. we saw the mechanics fumbling around with the airgun and wheel for a while, indicating it was a problem, not something they planned.

it's made to direct the airflow around and under the wheel/car, so having it spinning while the left one was stationary would have given him a vibration or imbalance at the very least, and possibly bad cooling on that brake too.

Heikki defo looked better than Lewis all weekend, glad for him. good job by Kubica too.

IMO Martin's gridwalks have been rubbish for the past few years already, and at Melbourne last week nobody would talk to him anyway, so i didn't particularly miss it.

god job by Kimi, makes up for his mistakes last week. lol at Brundle's impression of him: "oh no, i have to go and talk to the media now i think so"

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2008 08:54PM by Muks_C.
Date: March 23, 2008 10:04PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Have to say, I was very surprised, (happy obviously!) that kimi beat massa today!

as brundle said, when massa starts on pole and leads the race away he seems almost unstoppable, and i was 200% expecting an easy massa win today. so to see kimi keeping the gap calmly at 2 secs and then getting him in the pit stops was brilliant. really think kimi can have that second world championship now. i swear he's stepped up a gear this year now in terms of raw speed.

and the f2008 looks er...rather good :\

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: March 23, 2008 10:49PM
Posted by: aagancia
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
> Have to say, I was very surprised, (happy
> obviously!) that kimi beat massa today!
>
> as brundle said, when massa starts on pole and
> leads the race away he seems almost unstoppable,
> and i was 200% expecting an easy massa win today.
> so to see kimi keeping the gap calmly at 2 secs
> and then getting him in the pit stops was
> brilliant. really think kimi can have that second
> world championship now. i swear he's stepped up a
> gear this year now in terms of raw speed.
>
> and the f2008 looks er...rather good :\

I don't think Kimi got much faster compared to last year. I think it's more of Kimi adapting better to the ban on TC.
Date: March 23, 2008 11:29PM
Posted by: kv88
Well well suddenly Kimi is the top favourite now while one week ago pretty much everyone already wrote him off for the championship.

Like a lot of others i predict a fight between Kimi and Lewis for the title, but no idea who has more chance. Seems like last year - Lewis could take the points with reliablity, Kimi with speed.

Hamilton had a pretty bad weekend but didn't mess up as Raikkonen last week.

Massa - probably the best qualyfier of all but put him under race pressure and things go wrong. Seems like Fisichella; if you'd put him in a Honda he'll probably surprise everyone. But no topteam material.

Trulli was awesome, he's really kicking Glock's ass so far.

Renault - still a lot of work of do, but they were a lot better than in Melbourne. At least, for the first time since Spa 2007, they were quicker than the Toro Rosso's...

Webber was solid, good to see him fight with the top guys.

BMW pretty much the big surprise so far, they've been the 2nd best team each weekend so far. Should win 1 or more races this season.

Sutil had a good race as well, shame about his retirement.

@ marcl: could you please use comma's in your messages? ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy