Malaysian F1 Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***

Posted by Frantic 
Re: Malaysian F1 Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***
Date: March 25, 2008 04:11PM
Posted by: Razorsedge
I'm glad that Alonso shows a bit of aggro out there. It's good to see someone with a bit of passion and willing to bang wheels. I'm sure we would have heard some choice words from D.C. if he felt things went too far....maybe we still will. lol.

It's just nice to see someone prepared to fight, and not just concede position to the better aero kit or whatever.

Date: March 25, 2008 04:15PM
Posted by: marcl
Alonso was passing dc and would have made the pass without doing that.
Date: March 25, 2008 04:16PM
Posted by: Muks_C
yeah watching the race, Alonso was oversteering out of some of the corners and i enjoyed watching him do that, especially out of the very slow left-hander at Sepang about halfway round the lap. he might be a bit of a crybaby off-track, but he's good to watch now there's no TC and his car's not the best thing out there so he has to fight hard. but as Marcl said, he did it to Heikki in Melbourne and now to DC in Malaysia, who will be the first to complain about him from the other drivers?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 25, 2008 04:17PM
Posted by: Razorsedge
Well....he drives for Flavour Flav! They were obviously on the radio...
'Think about improving the show for the T.V. viewers Nando!'

Date: March 25, 2008 04:24PM
I can not wait for monaco :)
Date: March 25, 2008 04:59PM
Posted by: brunoboi
On the Alonso issue, in racing there are rules such as the onl y moving over to block the track once to keep racing safe. Of course in the heat of the action drivers puch these rules to the limit and that's all he was doing in Malaysia so nothing wrong there. For sure brake testing is extremely dangerous and he has rightfully been punished in the past for doing so, overall however, I'd say he is nearer the firey end of the scale but I wouldn't call him dangerous. All driver's are going to do something stupid at one time or another - no one's perfect we saw big flaws in Schumacher but great talent as well it's just the nature of the sport.

Jumping back to the Massa issue, a couple fo years ago when he drove alongisde Schumacher, he was having the same criticisms, I think he just has an eratic side which needs smoothing out. By the end of the season people were saying he could have been as good as MS so I'd wait a few more races before righting him off, I think he has the talent it's just taming it.

Date: March 25, 2008 05:12PM
Posted by: chet
What bugs me about Massa is he has the ability to win a wdc. It's just he makes little makes, and too many of them. Its annoying because I dont feel he is using his time at Ferrari as well has he should be. This is and will be his best chance at a title, and he is loosing it himself. I cant hellp but feel Rosberg or Jenson in the car would be more of a force. Basically he make too many mistakes for a Ferrari driver, and to be in a car capable of winning the titles.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 25, 2008 05:20PM
Yes u are allowed to move once to block, but that was not a block that was more like "move or I will crash into you" had dc not moved that would have crashed DC must have been ready for that type of move.

MS did chop cars but not when they were alongside (apart from Hill and JV lol).

Does alonso not think though if Kovy had lost it under braking he probably would have taken alonso off with him and the same for DC.

But I suppose everyone has different styles and I remember seeing kimi and JPM racing side by side in Germany and Hungry totally 100% fair each giving the other room. Could you do that with Alonso? I do not think so what do you think?

I think the problem with massa this year is no TC, he is ok when everything is ok but I dont think he can fully control the slide with no tc. If the car start to slide then thats it for him he is off. Also when he is not leading he lets his head drop and then starts to make small errors that in these cars turn out to be big errors. I would love to see alonso in the ferrari as he is being wasted in the renault maybe massa and alonso could swap.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 05:25PM by marcl.
Date: March 25, 2008 05:43PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Massa's problem is he hasn't changed his driving style. He's dropped it twice in 2 races, coming out of corners, i.e acceleration zones. Malaysia was a pathetically poor attempt by Ferrari at disguising Massa's inability to control the throttle (they called it an "aerodynamic imbalance", which is basically what happens all around the lap), so he needs more testing at tracks with tricky (cornered) acceleration zones, and the only one that springs to mind is one corner at Bahrain towards the end of the lap, and turn 3 at Barcelona.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 25, 2008 06:14PM
Posted by: chet
T3 wont be a problem, its high speed. but that corner at Bahrain has tricky braking doesnt it ? Its quite bumpy and isnt it one of those turning, and brakign at the same time corners? And coem to think of it, that tight hairpin type corner will be interesting, the one where its braking, steering and downshifting at the same time lol. the one where Nico went off in 06.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 25, 2008 06:22PM
what worries me is Sepang curbs are not even that high what are ferrari going to be like and a place with big ones? where they have to use them.
Date: March 25, 2008 07:50PM
Posted by: Ali
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Block by all
> means but dont move when a car is along side that
> is just not on.

Look at all races you can and you'll see a lot of moves like this one. A guy trying to overtake and the one in front closing. In fact, last weekend Trulli (I think) did the same to Lewis at the start (0:30 in the previous video) and nobody is analyzing it. You "overanalize" everything to criticize, even back to 2003! Do the same with the rest of the drivers and then judge. I don't remember collisions with other drivers caused by Alonso 100%...Coulthard cannot say the same. I agree that the last move just before the turn is not nice, but why such a discussion for so long? and extrapolating that Alonso is a "dirty" driver with just a few samples...
Date: March 25, 2008 10:20PM
The was not a few millimeters between the wheels of trulli and lewis. Alonso moved over on dc and their wheels could have so easily on rear to front, DC avoided an accident other drivers block before a move there was just no need for alonso to do that he had the move done. And it would have been a good move but he just ruined it.

Someone said they dont remember alonso being dirty in the past so all i was doing was backing up what i said. You also asked why i did not think he was fair so i said why i did not think.

Dc aint no saint i am not saying he is.

But lets talk about the other world champ on the track shall we.

Kimi I dont remember 1 single incident when he has not been fair on the track.

Stop taking everything so personally, you point out other drivers in other posts yet god forbid anyone say anything about alonso you just take it the wrong way.

Prove me wrong then, the points I have mentioned am I wrong? tell me.

You tell me another top driver that has moved over on a driver like alonso did, that has break tested people in temper. Come on show me I am wrong.

Please Ali please stop taking it all so personally, if I am wrong tell me i am wrong with facts. I see what I see on the track other people have also said the move was not fair. Would you be happy if it was done to Alonso, he would be the 1st one to complain.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 10:48PM by marcl.
Date: March 25, 2008 11:27PM
Posted by: mikef1
marcl Wrote:
> Yes u are allowed to move once to block, but that
> was not a block that was more like "move or I will
> crash into you" had dc not moved that would have
> crashed DC must have been ready for that type of
> move.
>
> MS did chop cars but not when they were alongside
> (apart from Hill and JV lol).

Montreal 1998? Imola 2004? What about what Schumi did to Fernando at Silverstone 2003? That's just for starters! ;)

IMO Fernando is a hard racer, a chip of the Senna, Mansell and Schumacher block. Tbh Lewis though somewhat less hot headed than Fernando has showed a similar disregard for his competitors at times last year, his antics at Fuji behind the safety car spring to mind.
Date: March 26, 2008 12:15AM
Posted by: sasjag
chet wrote:
-------------------------
>What bugs me about Massa is he has the ability to win a wdc

this sentence officially removes my ability to take you seriously on teh subject of driver talent

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: March 26, 2008 12:47AM
Posted by: Bruninho
sasjag Wrote:
> chet wrote:
> -------------------------
> >What bugs me about Massa is he has the ability to
> win a wdc
>
>
> this sentence officially removes my ability to
> take you seriously on teh subject of driver talent

sasjag, i couldnt agree more with you

Date: March 26, 2008 12:48AM
Posted by: tripleM
"Montreal 1998?"

A classic case of reputation preceding the man...

"this sentence officially removes my ability to take you seriously on teh subject of driver talent"

Don't overextend yourself

Date: March 26, 2008 01:13AM
Posted by: gin
Massa is like Coulthard and Irvine,...second rate drivers, yes they will get you solid points P2-p8 but they are no championship material. Same with Trulli, Ralf Schumacher etc...They are all talented drivers in f1, but only few are world championship material...they are not. I am surprised that many people still don't get this and see Massa, for example, as a future world champion! Reality check, he is a second rate driver...no WDC for you.

anyway.

Date: March 26, 2008 05:36AM
Posted by: aagancia
gin Wrote:
> Massa is like Coulthard and Irvine,...second rate
> drivers, yes they will get you solid points P2-p8
> but they are no championship material. Same with
> Trulli, Ralf Schumacher etc...They are all
> talented drivers in f1, but only few are world
> championship material...they are not. I am
> surprised that many people still don't get this
> and see Massa, for example, as a future world
> champion! Reality check, he is a second rate
> driver...no WDC for you.
>
> anyway.

I completely agree with you. At first, I did not understand why Ferrari chose Massa to replace Barrichello back then, since Massa was not exactly that impressive in the Sauber.

I think there's only 2 sensible reason as to why Ferrari chose to get and keep Massa as Barrichello's replacement. One, They could not steal anyone better from their contracts. And TWO, It's to keep the balance of power between drivers. Massa in an exact fit to the role Irvine and Barrichello played.

With this, Ferrari can always say that the drivers are equal. But, they know that their drivers have a sort of "natural selection" as to who is No.1 and No.2. I just don't think they expected their natural No.2 to have zero points for the first 2 GPs of this season.
Date: March 26, 2008 07:29AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Massa is like Coulthard and Irvine,...second rate drivers, yes they will get you solid points P2-p8 but they are no championship material.

Massa is not as good as DC or Irvine. Both have what is known as "throttle control". It is a very basic ability for a racing driver to have in any series, and Massa lacks it. Had TC never have come in then he'd have spent a year testing at Ferrari, then told to go find a new job. The man is not good enough to drive a modern Formula One car.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy