A lot of cocaine in F1

Posted by Vader 
A lot of cocaine in F1
Date: December 29, 2004 08:43PM
Posted by: Vader
[www.news24.com]

Rome - A former Ferrari team doctor, Benigno Bartoletti, has said that close to one third of Grand Prix drivers takes cocaine.

"At races, there is a lot of cocaine and in Formula One, it could be as many as one third of all drivers who take cocaine," the 68-year-old doctor told the Italian motorsport magazine "Quattroruote".

He said that cocaine gave the drivers the belief that they are invincible.

He added that the effect of cocaine lasted around 90 minutes and during this time the driver had a faster reaction time. "However, if a race takes longer, then it could become dangerous for drivers as the drug loses its effect."

Doping tests amongst Formula One drivers in the past season however did not return a single positive test. - Sapa-dpa

Hmm - if this is true, it is very alarming to say the least.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Re: A lot of cocaine in F1
Date: December 29, 2004 08:47PM
Posted by: bestobritish
i really hope this isnt true :-\

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: December 29, 2004 08:49PM
Posted by: LS.
cue Coca Cola to enter F1 as a sponser :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: December 29, 2004 08:58PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I dont doubt it. Random drug testing without telling the teams in advance would really find out

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 29, 2004 09:13PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
sato's deffo had some considering the manouvoures hes been doing last season. his cociane must have lasted about 10 mins before he went nuts.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: December 29, 2004 09:21PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
This is the key line imo

"Doping tests amongst Formula One drivers in the past season however did not return a single positive test. - Sapa-dpa "

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: December 29, 2004 09:22PM
Posted by: Sniper
I read that on a belgian site too!
I can't believe it, they did drug test last year and they were all negative.

although Montoya doesn't look that gentle ;-) (and stodard)

Check out our website: www.heikkikovalainen.net
Date: December 29, 2004 09:25PM
Posted by: markko
I seriously hope this isnt true. Like Dave said, random tests would me the best answer to find out if it is true.
Date: December 29, 2004 10:10PM
Test do only show you stuff you have been looking for. If they haven't tested for cocaine, they won't have found any. The tests they did can detect usual doping stuff. Cocaine, however, is not a common doping substance, so negative results in doping tests last year do not automatically outrule the consumption of cocaine per se.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 29, 2004 10:15PM
Posted by: bestobritish
they look for Cocaine in football (for example Adrian Mutu for those who follow football) and so i dont c why they shouldnt abe able to look for it and why they dont

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: December 29, 2004 10:57PM
Posted by: Sauber89
This is the biggest load of bollocks iv ever read

Date: December 29, 2004 11:09PM
That's is not exactly the paragon of a sophisticated statement. Would you care to explain your point of view? If they dope in every other kind of sport, why should F1 or motorsport be an exception?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 29, 2004 11:58PM
imagine someone had an adverse affect to a banned substance entering the parabolica at 210mph. doesnt bear thinking about. wouldnt wanna take that risk. also f1 and motorsport in general relies so much on technology that the driver being "more alert" wouldnt make much difference imho. for example if someone is on drugs or not is somewhat irrelevant. the f2004 is way better than anything else and so negates the drugs by along way.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2004 12:00AM by rapid_f1.
Date: December 30, 2004 12:05AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Not a chance Rapid. The stuff they drink which we call "water" in the car. You think its water? Its high energy liquids. Its just like a hpyed up version of Red Bull for example. If they use stuff like this then why wud they not use drugs?

F1 is no different to any other sport

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 30, 2004 12:50AM
yes but would a hyped up sato in his bar be faster/better than schumi who isnt hyped up in his ferrari? we need a scientist here to evaluate how much affect these drinks or drugs make. i think schumi would be faster. and plus i dont think the "top" drivers would take the risk. they have too much to lose. way too much.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2004 12:50AM by rapid_f1.
Date: December 30, 2004 01:19AM
No we just need someone who has real life experience. :p

One of the effect cocaine has is that makes a person fearless. A driver who would normally lift throttle in Eau Rouge would take it flat out "under the influence". Same goes for overtaking - you dare doing things you wouldn't dare doing else. Cocaine also sharpens your senses - it makes things happen like in slow motion. It well has an effect, no doubt.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 30, 2004 01:20AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
rapid, try going up and talking to a chick at a bar after a few beers. It's a hell of a lot easier than if you've had none. If you're pleading ignorant to that principle then you really have missed the point of all this. If a driver is feeling braver and has heightened reaction time, surely that's an advantage from doping?
Date: December 30, 2004 02:05AM
Posted by: Guimengo
basically reduces someone's inhibitions [sic ;)]?
But Vader, what are the side effects? I imagine it would not be safe to drive any car - especially F1 - under the influence of drugs. Ultimately causing someone's death.
Date: December 30, 2004 02:19AM
Posted by: LS.
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not a chance Rapid. The stuff they drink which we
> call "water" in the car. You think its water? Its
> high energy liquids. Its just like a hpyed up
> version of Red Bull for example. If they use stuff
> like this then why wud they not use drugs?
>
> F1 is no different to any other sport
>
>

F1 is an endurance sport, i cant see any recreational drug that would aid a drivers performance for the duration of the grandprix

The drink that the drivers take during the race is full of vitamins & minerals to help the muscles and stop them being deprived of nutrients during the loads they take into the corners

i remember JV's trainer saying that the drink he has is to provide the nessecary nuritents to enable him to hold the steering wheel through the fast high loaded corners.

F1 drivers have to be seriously fit to endure what they have to do in the cockpit for 2 hours and it takes a huge toll on the body

Drivers have to achieve top performance under the most extreme conditions. Buckled securely into the seat with a six-point harness, it is difficult to breathe when your heart rate reaches it peaks at around 190 beats per minute. Especially when in hot-weather races, maximum temperatures of 60 degrees Celsius are measured under the overalls. In other words, every Grand Prix is tough work and this is what differentiates it from all other types of extreme sport. "Even the fittest of long-distance runners," according to Erwin Göllner, ex-fitness trainer for Jacques Villeneuve, "would not be able to last the 60 laps at Monza."

i for one dont really believe that in todays hi-tech professional world of F1 theres a drugs culture amongst drivers

its not like in football or cricket where the worst thing that can happen is they fall over on to the grass

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: December 30, 2004 03:40AM
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> basically reduces someone's inhibitions ?
> But Vader, what are the side effects? I imagine it
> would not be safe to drive any car - especially F1
> - under the influence of drugs. Ultimately causing
> someone's death.
>

Of course it's not safe - that's why it's illegal. But that has never stopped people from doing things, especially not in F1.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy