Red Bull turn down sponsor

Posted by Atomik 
Red Bull turn down sponsor
Date: January 10, 2005 01:01PM
Posted by: Atomik
Red Bull Racing have turned away a major Formula One sponsorship deal. It's reported that a leading vodka label, almost certainly Smirnoff, wanted to advertise on David Coulthard's RB1 in 2005

Source: F1racing.net

It's a pity though, could have been "Vodka Red Bull" Racing :-)

"You know I couldn't go more on the inside, I was actually on the grass so ... I don't know, either Michael had his eyes closed or somehow his hands slid on the steering or something..." - Jacques Villeneuve, Jerez 1997, Post-Race Press Conference
Re: Red Bull turn down sponsor
Date: January 10, 2005 01:03PM
Posted by: Trido
You would think that a new team would want every cent it could get.
Date: January 10, 2005 01:22PM
Posted by: Zcott
This is quite old news. Within days of buying Jaguar, Red Bull had numerous sponsorship offers, but the biggest one was Smirnoff.

I don't blame them turning it down...shows that they actually care about what they're advertising.

Date: January 10, 2005 01:25PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
you know if you type 'smirnoff' into a mobile with dictionary mode, it comes up as 'poisoned' ? :)
Date: January 10, 2005 01:39PM
Yeah! For a good reason too, as I found out last week. :(

Date: January 10, 2005 02:16PM
Posted by: Sniper
I don't know if Red Bull will bring it to next season. For the moment they don't have any sponsor I think?? It's almoste ipmossible to succeed with only 1 sponsor I think?

Check out our website: www.heikkikovalainen.net
Date: January 10, 2005 02:37PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
they might be able to wing it.
Date: January 10, 2005 02:58PM
Posted by: b-tone
I don't blame them turning it down...shows that they actually care about what they're advertising.

i doubt they care so much as are aware of the bbad press red bull and vodka mixes get.

as for one sponsor, they'll do ok. the team is a marketing ploy so why give space to others?

____
Tony

Date: January 10, 2005 03:57PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
its true, red bull and vodka sure isnt someting to be advertising eh :)

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: January 10, 2005 04:17PM
Posted by: danm
they dont sell it together in cans - why advertise the fact - makes sense. pity tho!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: January 10, 2005 04:34PM
Posted by: Sapo
Yeah, and it's still better than tobacco sponsors, to have wodka-red bull on your car, don't you think? And if you're gonna start thinking like that, then West and mobil 1 and Marlboro and Shell aren't good combinations either, more deadly than an innocent cocktail :P(cigarettes and gasoil :P)
Date: January 10, 2005 05:59PM
Absolutely not....tobacco and car racing is ok, but alcohol and car racing sends out a terrible message.

Date: January 10, 2005 06:26PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Mr. Red Bull guy said he didn't want his team associated to any tobacco or alcoholic beverage companies, the true reason why no one knows, only the one published ;-)
Date: January 10, 2005 06:30PM
Posted by: marcl
I agree with zcott with the drink thing but i think its gonna happen they are the only companies with the money.

Date: January 10, 2005 06:32PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Absolutely not....tobacco and car racing is ok, but alcohol and car racing sends out a terrible message.

Really? Jag had becks for a long time. NASCAR just lifted the ban on hard liquer sponsorship. Im sure theres lots of other case's of alcohol one racing cars

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 10, 2005 06:56PM
Just because lots of people lift bans on it doesn't mean it's right. It's mostly due to high pressure from the people with the money. You're allowed to bring several boxes of matches and a few lighters onto a plane in the US of A. Surely this poses a massive security risk? Yes, it does, but people want to light a cigarette as soon as they get off the plane, so it's allowed. Who pushed that bill through? Yep, the tobacco companies. The people with the money.

Fair play to Williams for not having any alcohol, and fair play to Red Bull for saying no to Smirnoff. I hope that Johnnie Walker doesn't replace West on the McLarens, too. Alcohol sponsorship is considerably worse than cigarette sponsorship, IMO.

Date: January 10, 2005 07:26PM
Posted by: Muks_C
Have Williams ended their deal with Budweiser?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: January 10, 2005 07:55PM
Posted by: genesis
Yeah lol Scott Williams have had Budweiser on their cars and plastered over those stupid ads for a year!
Date: January 10, 2005 08:01PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Williams and Jag in F1, several nascars (one car is running Jack Daniels in 2005), IndyCars, IRL cars have all run Alcohol sponsors and (strangly) the only objection i have seen is that alcohol sponsorship is banned in sporting events in Frace.

I dont actually see whats wrong with it tbh.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 10, 2005 08:11PM
Posted by: genesis
I don't see what the whole 'connection' problem is about. Quite simply, watching a Ferrari go round and round does not make people want to smoke. Watching a Williams go round and round does not make me want to have a Budweiser. So I don't care what they have on their cars really, so long as it doesnt look too ugly!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy