set the video quality to HQ

[www.gamersyde.com]

:)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: August 21, 2010 09:21PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I don't usually get very excited about games but this one I'm looking forward to.

Thanks for all the vids LS, it's all shaping up nicely.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: August 21, 2010 10:13PM
Posted by: msater
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't usually get very excited about games but
> this one I'm looking forward to.
>
> Thanks for all the vids LS, it's all shaping up
> nicely.

+1, this game looks like what I would have wanted in Grand Prix 5 game.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: August 21, 2010 11:16PM
Posted by: Slash
the AI looks aggressive on that Abu Dhabi video LS... look Alonso intimidating the Toro Rosso.
Date: August 21, 2010 11:22PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
At the end of the day, the damage just needs to be sensitive enough to make you cautious when overtaking. Although I would prefer something more subtle, I can take front wings coming off in lumps and wheels just falling off as long as you don't have to career into someone else at high speed to do it. If you can start bumping around like mid-ninties touring cars then that's really off putting for me.

What worries me is that the AI don't seem to get damaged very easily (eg that Renault video) or indeed affected to much when someone hits in to the back of them. I'm also worried that you need quite a big crash to cause any damage.

It's also confusing why, when the one thing Coddies have done well for a long time is damage, the damage model seems so unsophisticated (albeit the lack of sophistication would not put me off).

Date: August 21, 2010 11:25PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
all these videos seem so so now, nothing earth shattering. and yes the ai seem to get away scot free.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: August 22, 2010 12:07AM
Posted by: LS.
one thing to remember is that the build shown at this latest show differs from the one at E3, and Steven Hood the cheif designer has said its still on going and theres stuff not implement here, but from what weve seen so far, it looks like its certainly the best effort weve had since GP4

Yeah and im sure we'd all love the realism aspect like in Iracing etc but to get the money back to even pay for the license it has to be across multi platforms to recoup the money and certain compromises have to be made at this time

From what i've seen i can only imagine that when the next gen console come out it will be even better.

The most interesting thing from these videos is we have yet to see it in full blown mode, ie all aids turned off and difficulty set to maximum, which to be fair is what pretty much every forum member and serious F1 fan will have it set too.

i can see why at the trade show they compromise on the difficulty level for the media and general crowd, so i'll keep an open mind until i have a copy set to uber mode :)

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2010 12:10AM by LS..
Date: August 22, 2010 12:23AM
finally a video of being able to drive out of the garage, down the pit straight and onto the track, nice to see the mechanics working on the car, another nice touch!

If anything, this is certainly going to the most immerseve F1 game upto yet, if not upto to the standards of full blown simulators ( which lets be honest arent to any degree near to anything the teams use in real life, having said that the Redbull simulator was recently described as " a game" by Mark Webber on twitter)

i read recently that these simulators that the F1 teams have dont really have much of bearing to what the cars are like out on track and corrolate to the data in real life too much anyway

#edit another nice touch of the driver taking his hand off the wheel and changing settings on the wheel

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2010 12:25AM by LS..
Date: August 22, 2010 12:47AM
Posted by: Slash
Red Bull simulator is rfactor pro....

one thing i don't understand is why does the damage model matters so much?.. for me, i want a "simulation" where i can have fun, but at the end is just a game... the first thing i want to try with the game is to drive the car, not test how much it takes to take the wheels off or something like that... the damage models on most of the racing games out there is pathetic, why request a higher standard for this game? imho the car just needs to drive nice for me to enjoy it, regardless of the damage model, and judging from the video is actually better than most games out there

99.9% of the people who'll own the game, never have and never will drive an F1 car before, so who knows what's real or not?.. judging from onboard videos the car should drive tight as Gp4 with the "freedom" of rfactor.. so as long as the game's physics has a balance between the two i'll definetly enjoy it.. and most of you guys will as well
Date: August 22, 2010 12:56AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
From what I've seen so far I think that it's going to be fairly undriveable (in the sense we're used to) with anything other than a wheel (having said that, Forza 3 is OK), the clips with the pads are all over the road like Sato on acid. That's only a good thing though, because it means the car will be less "on rails" like GP4 was with keys. I'll be using a wheel, which I have yet to buy yet for 360. I would love to use PC but my rig could NEVER run that with everything turned up. Since I refuse to not have everything turned up it really is cheaper to buy the 360 wheel (£70) than it is to build a new PC (£500). It's not that I would prefer to race on console, quite the opposite, I just can't afford to have it any other way.

To be honest I think it looks brilliant, very easily the best effort since GP4. My only issues are with AI damage, but over at CM forum today a developer said that AI, and I quote word for word "would suffer the same damage as the player". I know there are three damage modes: Off, Cosmetic and Full. Given that the Renault Monaco video was clearly either Cosmetic or Full, that's a bit worrying 'cause he hit the AI VERY HARD and you only saw slight damage to front wing. That said, there is a Ferrari video from Hungary (I think) which crashes into a wall at only slightly higher speed and destroys the front of the car. It's all a bit inconsistent at this stage and I dunno what to think of it. To me the damage IS important, and that's not because I love driving around crashing into things but because I think it adds to the immersion. If the damage is as realistic as possible in comparison to the real thing then the immersion illusion lasts for longer. For me the rFactor bubble popped when my front wheels went through those of an AI car. For such a small thing it REALLY annoyed me because it was so blatantly fake, not because of the detrimental effect it had to close wheel to wheel racing. The minute you get something massively fake like bad damage or dodgy handling then that realism illusion bubble shatters and you're left remembering that this is it, and the end of the day, it is only a game. But, as a developer, keep people fooled for long enough with top notch effects (which, like it or otherwise includes the damage model) and then as a developer you have won the hearts and minds of your sim (and hopefully arcade) racers.

So it would seem that this new game had pros and cons like all the rest. It's clearly still an awesome game, and like Go Alesi also said, I can take suspensions and wheels flying off in one go and front wings detaching themselves if everything else is good, and with F1 2010, aside from that pesky black screen driving out of the pits and the @#$%& replay system, everything else seems rather good.

However, still waiting on a couple of things:

"We want to wait to show the damage model off when it's finished. We have a feature video (not a developer diary) planned for this and it will be on the CM website in due course" - Stephen from CM. Are they holding something back?

"The final physics update was not in the Gamescom build" - again, Stephen.

We have not seen everything yet.
Date: August 22, 2010 01:35AM
Posted by: casabonka
Well, I've just pre-ordered the game for PS3. I've never had a wheel, so think its about time to get one!
What is a decently priced and good to use wheel?

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: August 22, 2010 01:35AM
Slash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> 99.9% of the people who'll own the game, never
> have and never will drive an F1 car before, so who
> knows what's real or not?..

agreed! if a team gave every single iota of data to a dev there would be nay sayers saying it was'nt realistic enough! but wait a minute they had Ant Davidson onboard who knows his stuff from a technical point of view from actually driving these machines ( albeit not very sucessfully) but any F1 live viewer on the red button during the practice sessions can see he has more hands on experience from driving a modern day F1 than maybe Brundle and has, and has this week been testing on the Mercedes simulator

I'm happy knowing someone that has technical first hand experience of driving F1 over someone that last drove one for a BBC PR tv feature any day

One of the last tweets between Davidson and HOOD ( from Codies) was about worrying that Ants input had been carried over

Ant has driven them for real and had real life sim experience from the teams in F1 so im not gonna complain about the game when it comes out

Even the Devs worked with Geoff Crammond during the GPX series so its in safe hands and they readlily admit theyre F1 fans in real life and have the experience in the sim world

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2010 01:38AM by LS..
Date: August 22, 2010 02:26AM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Can't wait for this. Hope it shows up in Steam :) Might pick it up for PS3 later as well. Playing on the big screen should be quite cool :)
Date: August 22, 2010 07:39AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I hate that BS. "If you haven't drive it, you can't know if its realistic". By that logic, NFS is realistic. After-all, who among us has driven a Lambo at 200mph?

F1 2010 doesn't look realistic. The cars are too planted over bumps and kerbs, which is always the biggest give away. But does it matter? No! The best F1 game on a console previous to this was F1 97. This looks like F1 97. It's realistic enough to not be annoying, but it's arcade enough to be a relaxing playable game with a joypad.

It looks FUN without being ridiculous (like GRiD/DiRT). That is what it should be. I want a modern F1 97, this looks to be doing that job. For my sim racing I'll stick with iRacing since it has a Williams FW31 coming.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 22, 2010 10:37AM
Posted by: Dahie
Regarding damage model. I think this is very important, because it defines how "careful" you regard drive. Of course knowing how fragile your car is changes your handling and the risk you take on maneuvers and on the track. A fine damage model forces you to decide whether to take the chance and say goodbye to your frontwing flaps or not. Precise collision detection is part of this, one of the biggest detriments of rFactor that the collision model for formular-cars is just bogus and I have trouble with precision driving next to an opponent, because the I can't judge when the collision detection kicks in. Stuff like interlocking tyres is ignored completely.
If you go on the track alone, damage may not be as important, but once you want to race, having a detailed and precise damage model is very important, not just for immersion, but also for your handling.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: August 22, 2010 12:45PM
Posted by: superchargednut
The only further thing i'd want from this is the T-Cam angle CHANGING.

Date: August 22, 2010 12:50PM

&feature=sub

LS's Tip of the week
Date: August 22, 2010 01:03PM
Posted by: harjinator
I want them to dial out the ridiculous amount of body roll the cars have from the chasecam view... looks frankly ridiculous, and very much like a tintop. F1 cars are among the stiffest cars in the world - they shouldn't roll like my rubbish road car!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy