Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: October 12, 2006 09:16PM
Posted by: Lo2k
ah ok, thanks for the info.

Date: October 14, 2006 05:24PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Laurent, when can we expect a newer version of 3DEditor?

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: October 14, 2006 08:11PM
soon, very soon :p

Date: October 17, 2006 03:42PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
dont know if i missed it but which file edits the white lines because i wouldnt mind having a go at putting the white circles on the edge of the main straight at suzuka....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2006 07:03PM by lee1971.
Date: October 17, 2006 04:01PM
lee1971 schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dont know if i missed it but which file edits the
> white lines because i wouldnt mind having a goat
> putting the white circles on the edge of the main
> straight at suzuka....

That would be truly amazing. ;)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Date: October 29, 2006 12:40AM
Posted by: airefresco
Hi all,

I've kind of asked the question before, but anyway.

All of the fences and walls become invisable as you approach them. They are visable from away, but disapear as you get close. Also, the front of a building I have is invisable in places and the signs I mentioned last time are also still invisable.

I've tried all what was recommended last time (a couple of pages back, I think) and nothing made it work. I also looked at some other tracks and noticed that on most tracks the 5 uknown values of fences and walls are normally 64, -1, 3, 0, and the last varies a lot, could it be anything to do with these values? By unkown values I mean, when you click on a object 3deditor and it brings up the little box thingy with co-ordinates and stuff, the 5 boxes at the bottom.

thanks,
paul..
Date: October 29, 2006 03:28PM
First solution:
set all 5 unknown values to 0 often solve any visibility trouble.

Second solution, if you kept some of the original objets of a track at their original place (in case of a conversion of an existing track):
find a close object and copy/paste its 5 values settings to your own object.

Hope it will help a bit.

Date: October 29, 2006 08:58PM
thanks Lo2k, sadly none of those worked. I´m building the track from scratch so i´ve got nothing existing to reference from.

paul..
Date: October 29, 2006 10:05PM
there are other non standard gp 4 tracks to use a s references...
if you change the unknown flag values to 0 as lo2k sugessted it should be ok..
what class have you selected for the objects...?????
also when i first started track editing & had similar problems i would export the troublesome object as a gp4 object & then delete this object in the trees list..then re import the exported gp4 object in another scene.....
Date: October 31, 2006 07:33PM
The catch fences around the track are set FENCE, the walls are set to TRACK(because if you let 3deitor make the walls for you it sets them the TRACK), The building is NBUILD and the sign is part of the pit building so that is REQUIRED. Changing the unknown values to 0 doesn't make any difference.

I'll try exportingand re-importing and see if that works. I don't understand what you mean about the non-standard tracks though.

Thanks for your help,

paul..
Date: October 31, 2006 07:53PM
I don't understand what you mean about the non-standard tracks though

tracks made by the members of the gp4 community ..ie....not the tracks that came with the game...
Date: November 01, 2006 12:36AM
Posted by: _Erix_
Buildings act strange when they are tall, like skyscrapers, and have a roof. Remove the roof and see if it works. For a lot of objects you don't need to set a class at all. Check wether you use dxt1 or dxt5 texes.

[1991] [2003] [2004] [gp2 world series]
Date: November 12, 2006 12:46PM
Posted by: Zjokke
ok I know this was posted be4, but I can't find it again.

1. I encounter the problem of objects (bridges, trees,...) who are placed behind the rails, but ingame it looks like they are in front of the rails. How can I change this?

2. I imported bridges from another gp4 track but ingame some parts are invisible.
Is this a normals problem? I never had this problem be4 with other imported gp4 objects.
Date: November 12, 2006 07:29PM
i can't remember the first question

"2. I imported bridges from another gp4 track but ingame some parts are invisible.
Is this a normals problem? I never had this problem be4 with other imported gp4 objects."

did the objects you imported have seperated pieces...??
if so were they in seperate scenes in original track>>
have you placed all the objects pieces in one scene & grouped together???

some object have visibilty problems for this reason but also if their class conflicts with other objects in that scene..
Date: November 14, 2006 07:14PM
@ Jimbo:

Sorry for the late response jimbo, I had to stay in bed the last 2 days (fever & flu)

About the first issue: I believe ruboy posted this be4. Problem is that gp4 has trouble understanding which object is in front of another object. In my case the rail is in front of the trees which are placed into the back. GP4 draws the bottom of the tree visible (before the rail). If I remember correct the solution has something to do with detaching the rail in multiple parts (but I'm not sure)I'll post a screen if you don't understand what I mean.

About the second issue: I imported the original unmodified melbourne bridges from gp4 into my Adelaide track. I imported those bridges again and everything looks ok now.

@ Lo2k:

feature req.'s

1. 'Dummy' cars in the pitlane & pitbuilding for easy lining up the pitbuilding
2. Detaching multiple faces at once (on face level): Select multiple faces in the left 3deditor window -> rightclick -> detach to new part
3. Similar as req. 2: (on parts level): right click on a part -> detach faces to new part every XX faces
4. The trackprofiler is great, but is it possible that when changing altitude of one sector also changes altitudes of nearby sectors (ex. If you raise 1 sector the altitude of the previous/next 20 sectors also increase. this way it would go much faster building elevations into tracks.
Date: November 15, 2006 01:14AM
Question 1:
Be sure you did not set "Set 0 => no 8bit alpha (all stencil - yuck)" in Fgraphics.cfg file to 8. With some graphical card, it's the best way to have background objects in front of front objects.
Else, the solution lies in the texture format. Try to keep only one DXT5 texture and convert other textures to DXT1 (in your case, the tree texture should be DXT1).

Question2:
I have to admit I never saw this case where only parts of an object were missing in game. As visibility settings apply to a whole object, it's either the whole object is missing either it's there...Well, it might.

Concerning features:
1. Garages are along 33 sectors and thus without cmagic changes (that 3ded can't handle), and with first sector being sector 0 cars might be on top of the wireframe line of sector 1&2, 4&5, 7&8, 10&11, 13&14, 16&17, 19&20, 22&23, 25&26, 28&29, 31&32. Pitbuilding walls/pillars just lie in other sectors (0,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30,33). I'm maybe wrong anyhow.
Anyway, as I can't handle cmagis values for now, I can't represent any correct car position for pit cables positions for example.

2. To detch multiple faces, you would need to click on every line (face) to highlight it in the 3d display, then note which faces you want to detach, then select only the faces you need and finally detach them. Not that quick nor useful.
So there won't be multiple detach in next 3ded version but the way you select face and the way you can detach them to new or existing part will be easier and faster.

3. Sorry, I don't get your idea here. Detaching faces at part level ?? I assume you think about a special case/object needing such feature...

4. I'm thinking about a form of change propagation but not exactly the way you describe it, else you will have "aliased" track elevation if you understand what I mean (ie, 20 sectors at height1, 20 to height2, and so on...). Anyway, for now, Track Profiler might not change in next version.

That's all. I know I promised to release next 3ded soon and from the 4 questions above, you may think very few changes will be in next version but that's not true, next 3ded version will be a major step above 17.6. I'm really working hard on it and I finaly added some features I dreamt to add since the very first version, without counting the numerous great new features, enhancements and fixes. Believe me, Track creation will become much much easier and faster and tracks created will be even better.

Date: November 15, 2006 11:11AM
That's good to hear Laurent !

your 1st question:
7; Set 0 => no 8bit alpha (all stencil - yuck) 8 => all 8bit alpha (no stencil - nice) else 1-7 as cut off

About my 3rd question: What I mean is this:
Some parts are generated as 1 piece (rails) and consist of a few 100/1000 faces. Beaking them up manually is very timeconsuming and painful to the hand/fingers. Instead I proposed some autodetach function, selecting a part (prob the 1 and only for that object) and let 3d editor break it up automatically every XX faces, so you get several parts which each got XX faces.

Anyway All sugesstion I've given are issues i encountered during work on my Adelaide track. Maybe something good comes out this, maybe not. i'm just giving some feedback so that you can enhance 3D editor. For now 17.6 does the job fine.

Edit: How do I set textures to DXT1? Both Adobe Photoshop & Paint.net don't give me this option to save to DXT1. Perhaps some other prog.?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2006 11:28AM by Zjokke.
Date: November 15, 2006 11:33AM
Ah I see :)
Well, new version will automaticaly slice track objects as rails every 10 sectors (as original files), so this will be quickly solved :)

Concerning DXT texture formats, TexResizer is a little tool of mines that does this job.

Date: November 15, 2006 02:41PM
Thanks a lot Laurent !!! Texresizer did the job :p Everything looks ok now
Date: November 15, 2006 03:50PM
Lo2k schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's all. I know I promised to release next 3ded
> soon and from the 4 questions above, you may think
> very few changes will be in next version but
> that's not true, next 3ded version will be a major
> step above 17.6. I'm really working hard on it and
> I finaly added some features I dreamt to add since
> the very first version, without counting the
> numerous great new features, enhancements and
> fixes. Believe me, Track creation will become much
> much easier and faster and tracks created will be
> even better.

That sounds like a revolution in track creation. ;)

Fantastic news, can't wait for the new version. :)

PS: Could you tell us some of the new features?

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy