Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: July 23, 2006 02:40PM
Posted by: b-tone
>
> Not neccesarily, I named mine shadow_xx, no class given and they
> worked fine. tbh if you don't need to give them a class then dont
> bother
>

ok. naming SHADOW_ will make it a shadow class, bu shadow_ apparently doesn't. not in 3d editor anyway, but maybe it does in game.

@Lo2k - I've been using it since about version 3.7 or something :p Just lately I've got into the graphical side and its very nice and easy to use. some batch funstions would be nice, but as it is we have a track editor so i'm not complaining :)

____
Tony

Date: July 23, 2006 03:12PM
Posted by: Lo2k
@Turbo Lover: Yep, that's a part of the data computed when you compute track pitch in 3DEditor (but from GP4 format to GP3 one).

@B-tone: Yep, that was my goal to provide features, at first in a raw form but in order you could at least do the things. Of course, polished version of these features would be better but we never know if they could ever come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2006 03:12PM by Lo2k.
Date: July 23, 2006 06:16PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Laurent is an option to select which objects to export to .3ds from the .dat on the to-do list?
Date: July 23, 2006 07:30PM
You mean : to export several objets at once ?
In that case the answer is no, but I will add it to the list.

Date: July 23, 2006 08:26PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Well no, more like rather than exporting the whole track to a .3ds file from the .dat, you can select which parts to export, for example, have all TRACKxx and verge1 objects assigned to a track group, then have the banks in another, then, verge2's etc etc

And another thing, would it also be possible to import a mesh direct into a .col group? You could have the banks edited in you 3d package, then export it to a .3ds or something, and then import this directly into a surface group
Date: July 24, 2006 10:12PM
The first point is what I said : to export several objects to a .3ds file, objects coming from the .dat directly or from the .gp4 objects generated from the .dat.

Importing a .3ds into a .col is another thing. i will add it to the todo list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2006 10:13PM by Lo2k.
Date: July 24, 2006 11:15PM
Posted by: Ruboy
Lo2k Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Importing a .3ds into a .col is another thing. i will add it to the
> todo list.

Very good point, Tom :) That would be a really useful feature. This would have helped me a lot for the Istanbul .col file.

Date: July 29, 2006 02:11AM
Posted by: Prblanco
I had asked something similar earlier... btw, looking at original .col files (particularly Imola), I saw that, besides track, pitlane and walls, FENCE_ objects are also included in the .col mesh. That would make sense, wouldn't it? :)

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: August 03, 2006 07:32AM
I duplicated an object, and now the duplicate is untextured, although its using the same textures as the original. In 3de its fine, but in game its white :|

____
Tony

Date: August 03, 2006 08:10PM
i solved my problem.
i actually duplicated 2 objects, one a SCREEN and then merged them both into the SCREEN object. and since tvanim.tex was missing the whole thing was white :)

____
Tony

Date: August 04, 2006 12:22AM
Posted by: airefresco
I have been working on a track. I used Mavericks template as a start because I couldn't get the pitlane right. Anyway, Ruboy had a look at my CC-line for me and said I should have a go at re-doing the pitlane because it was too tight on the entry and exit.

I have done this and now, when I enter the pits, the car pulls back towards the track and then starts flying all over the place (up, down, left and right). The pit lane is almost perfectly flat.

Anyone any ideas as what may be causing this?

Thanks
paul..
Date: August 04, 2006 01:28AM
be sure to set a fence gate in the track sector where fence goes through the pitlane, else pitlane entry will be an invisible wall...

Date: August 04, 2006 12:34PM
Thanks Lo2k,

I´m pretty sure i have done the fence gate right. It´s difficult to tell but I think the problem is after this point.

I changed the .col file to make the banks and verges to tarmac. This seems to have stopped the flying around everywhere. However, the car still pulls towards the track, but not as much. When i arrive at to the pitcrew, the car doesn´t line up with them quite right, the car overshoots them and slightly to the left. When the car acually stops, the pitcrew all walk back towards the garage and the car can´t can´t be driven. I can change gear and steer and everything, but it can´t actually move. Also, my PO has gone through the roof, between 200-800 all around the track. The only graphics are the cars and tarmac, which is the default one.

any ideas?

paul..
Date: August 04, 2006 01:05PM
Yep, you have to keep pitlane track sectors as close as the usual sector length, else you will get such offset in pits or even won't be able to pit at all (or to leave the pits after any refuelling).
Be also sure to recompute track pitch and car pitch/dir after you edited all your sectors.

Date: August 04, 2006 01:13PM
"Yep, you have to keep pitlane track sectors as close as the usual sector length, else you will get such offset in pits or even won't be able to pit at all (or to leave the pits after any refuelling)."

Could you explain this again please, i don´t understand what you mean. sorry.

I get the next bit though, I haven´t tried this yet.

thanks
paul..
Date: August 04, 2006 02:19PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
"I have done this and now, when I enter the pits, the car pulls back towards the track and then starts flying all over the place (up, down, left and right). The pit lane is almost perfectly flat. "

Anyone any ideas as what may be causing this?

at the pitlane entry & exit have you made track banking as described in mavericks guide????? this can cause the cars to be thrown onto track
Date: August 04, 2006 04:01PM
Yeah, I think I did. I am using Mavericks and Zepplines tutorials to do the track and pitlanes. I cannot check it right now, because I´m at work. If thats what is causing the problem, how do I fix it?

paul..
Date: August 04, 2006 04:08PM
airefresco Wrote:
> Yeah, I think I did. I am using Mavericks and Zepplines tutorials to
> do the track and pitlanes. I cannot check it right now, because I´m
> at work. If thats what is causing the problem, how do I fix it?
>
> paul..

when you get home can you send me you dat file for a quick look??
Date: August 04, 2006 07:46PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Nothing against Maverick, but that pit template is sh*t, i used it also as base for a fantasy track.

The problem is that the pit entrance is too short and too sharp, with as result that a car pulls very late to the pits.

The car spins into the pitlane or is crashing to the right barrier of the s/f line, in wet conditions is it even worser.

A solution is to displace the first sector of the pitlane a way back to the right and create extra sectors and also moving the flag command 'Pit Lane Start' a way back.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: August 04, 2006 08:10PM
Turbo Lover Wrote:
> Nothing against Maverick, but that pit template is sh*t, i used it
> also as base for a fantasy track.
>
> nice....if i remember this was a gesture from maverick because many people at the time were trying to build tracks...there was post after post about pitlane issues..so this was a sort of visual aid guide if you like...

i had many of these problems in my first two tracks....but at the time it helped to load my track....ctd after ctd can soon cause many to give up....

>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2006 08:11PM by jimbob1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy