Re: F1 European Grand Prix: Valencia 2008
Date: August 26, 2008 09:25PM
Posted by: skinnyman
Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a good analysis about the race i found this:
>
> [rosehillpilot.spaces.live.com]

According to him fuel for 2 laps extra is worth half a second, dont think so...
Date: August 26, 2008 09:41PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Valencia is a circuit that takes much fuel per lap (as we saw in gp2) he bases his comments on the data from the teams how many kg's more will cost you a lap.

Date: August 26, 2008 10:36PM
Posted by: IWE
I cannot understand some people STILL crying because massa didnt get penalty.. Kimi didnt get in exhaust case, so it is just fair that Massa didnt get now. @#$%& the rules! FIA doesnt care @#$%& about their own rules. Sometimes FIA wouldnt even notise if for example Kimi and 5 others would be overspeeding on pit side by side to wrong direction..

According to rules wrong person did win the championship on last season.. So @#$%& what? Nobody exept me even remember this fact anymore.. Actually according to some other rules McLaren should be atm out of F1 and some leaders of the team in prison! So @#$%& what? :P

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: August 26, 2008 11:08PM
Posted by: danm
if massa and sutil had collided and massa got away scott-free.... would he have had a stop-go penalty then?

consider that!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: August 26, 2008 11:29PM
IWE schreef:
> I cannot understand some people STILL crying
> because massa didnt get penalty.. Kimi didnt get
> in exhaust case, so it is just fair that Massa
> didnt get now. @#$%& the rules! FIA doesnt care
> @#$%& about their own rules. Sometimes FIA wouldnt
> even notise if for example Kimi and 5 others would
> be overspeeding on pit side by side to wrong
> direction..
>
> According to rules wrong person did win the
> championship on last season.. So @#$%& what?
> Nobody exept me even remember this fact anymore..
> Actually according to some other rules McLaren
> should be atm out of F1 and some leaders of the
> team in prison! So @#$%& what? :P

theres a rule for kimi not winning the championship? ooh now its all clear for me :P

Date: August 27, 2008 12:16AM
Posted by: gav
danm Wrote:
> if massa and sutil had collided and massa got away
> scott-free.... would he have had a stop-go penalty
> then?

It would have been difficult. Massa would have to have turned in on Sutil, or Sutil on Massa. It would be have been a pretty dumb thing to do. Ferrari let Massa go (which they shouldn't have done), Massa then used the space available so as not to cause an accident and then he backed off when the pitlane became too narrow for 2 cars to go alongside each other.

That it was unsafe I struggle to agree with. What I do agree with is that all such incidents (cars being released when others are coming down the pitlane, regardless where in the pit road a team is positioned) should be punished, but I feel it shouldn't be the driver which gets punished, but the team, and hopefully something stronger than a fine. Constructors points perhaps.

I'm not a fan of Massa (though I do admire the fantastic job he's doing at the moment), so I'm not defending him as such. I just feel it would have been wrong to punish him when the precedent so far this season has been to simply ignore it. The FIA need to reiterate that this isn't acceptable practice, and then start punishing people. They can't just start applying penalties (and that doesn't makes fines OK) when it takes their fancy.
Date: August 27, 2008 07:47AM
Posted by: Slash
Morbid Wrote:
> I just despise the hap-hazard
> way the rules are enforced. Sports require the
> rules to be equal for all.

but looking it from a sport side, how stupid would've been if Massa got a drive thru and lost the race to Hamilton, while being him the one who dominated the whole race, just because he went side by side out of the pits with a backmarker?

and like i said, it happened before in 2004 between Kimi and Montoya in Interlagos and it was a lot closer than this, and they where fighting for position, but nobody said anything

so i think it's time to get over it and move on....
Date: August 27, 2008 08:12AM
Posted by: IWE
Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
> theres a rule for kimi not winning the
> championship? ooh now its all clear for me :P

Haha you are so smart.. Like illegal car would have been reason also before for dropping out from race results.. @#$%&!

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: August 27, 2008 08:26AM
oh that, but that was not kimi eh :P but i remember schumacher having the same fuel sample problem back ages, and he didnt get disqualified, you wont hear yourself about him, becouse your a fan of him :P

anyway, massa shouldnt be punished at all imo, you see those things every race, and now they wanna punish him for that with a fine? ffs, like earlier mentioned kimi vs montoya brazil 2004:

I think those are the things we wanna see isnt it? fighting down the pitlane.

Date: August 27, 2008 10:02AM
Posted by: J i m
Whilst I wouldn't deny that seeing two cars toughing it out side by side down the pitlane is exciting I would remind you that whatever it might say in the regulations the pitlane is not the race track.

In the Pit-lane you have people standing, walking, and crossing to the pit-wall and whilst those people know about the risk and are obviously on the lookout for cars, that does not take into account a collision between two cars sending one of them into a rival pit-box that might have mechanics on it, or sending debris around onto the pit-wall etc.

All this is a safety risk and it's random. You could be taking every responsible precaution possible and still be caught out.

Please do not respond with your You know it COULD happen, so don't complain when it does stupidity either because that simply does not wash.

Finally we all lose to see side by side action, but it should be happening on the track and not in the pitlane.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2008 11:29AM by J i m.
Date: August 27, 2008 10:09AM
Posted by: marcl
They are both in the fast lane :) massa could not get in the fast lane just like kimi in Canada.

As I said before a few years back RS got a 60 sec penalty for doing what ferrari and massa done.

At the end of the day no harm was done but as I said before they have now made it clear you can can pull out so will be interesting to see what happens when the pit lane is busy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2008 10:12AM by marcl.
Date: August 27, 2008 10:17AM
J i m schreef:
> Whilst I wouldn't deny that seeing two cars
> toughing it out side by side down the pitlane is
> exciting I would remind you that whatever it might
> say in the regulations the pitlane is i]not the
> race track.
>
> In the Pit-lane you have people standing, walking,
> and crossing to the pit-wall and whilst those
> people know about the risk and are obviously on
> the lookout for cars, that does not take into
> account a collision between two cars sending one
> of them into a rival pit-box that might have
> mechanics on it, or sending debris around onto the
> pit-wall etc.
>
> All this is a safety risk and it's random. You
> could be taking every responsible precaution
> possible and still be caught out.
>
> Please do not respond with your You know it COULD
> happen, so don't complain when it does stupidity
> either because that simply does not wash.
>
> Finally we all lose to see side by side action,
> but it should be happening on the track and not in
> the pitlane.

well, you know it COULD happen

;)

i disagree, they are going with like 80km an hour in the pit? an f1 car can brake in 1 second so its standing still, they will never get into a pitbox with those low speeds frankly.

Date: August 27, 2008 10:34AM
Posted by: Morbid
There are plenty of examples of low speed accidents in F1 where the car continues onwards, out of control for several meters. 80 kph is a lot. I have had friends that have been struck by cars at 40 kph, which killed them.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: August 27, 2008 10:40AM
Posted by: marcl
F1 brakes are not great at low speeds and after a pit stop, they are to cold remember lewis and nico in canada, and in a dusty pit lane the cars just skid.

About Webber, he lost over 10 seconds in the race due to over shooting his pit. So when they go through everything I hope they point that out to him :)

This is why massa was not given a penalty. Donnelly replied: "We watched the incident from every angle. I'm perfectly happy with the decision. Remember that Massa did not gain any sporting advantage."

So the danger aspect was never a question then, it was all about an advantage against a car a lap behind lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2008 10:44AM by marcl.
Date: August 27, 2008 10:45AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
i disagree, they are going with like 80km an hour in the pit? an f1 car can brake in 1 second so its standing still, they will never get into a pitbox with those low speeds frankly.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 27, 2008 11:11AM
hamilton just didnt brake ;)

Date: August 27, 2008 11:12AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The magical slowing car I guess. So, Rosberg?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 27, 2008 11:43AM
Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
> i disagree, they are going with like 80km an hour
> in the pit? an f1 car can brake in 1 second so its
> standing still, they will never get into a pitbox
> with those low speeds frankly.

"Frankly" you have little idea of what you are talking about. You seem to forget that car a is still travelling whilst braking. In most pitlanes the car will be travelling at 80km/h approaching it's pit-box (60km/h in tighter pitlanes), traveling at that speed the car covers over 20 metres in that one second, so it's reasonable to assume that in a half a second it's travelled 10 metres.

It only takes a fraction of second misjudgement to get it wrong. Click your fingers, go on... how long did it take?

That's the difference between a "safe" stop and a crash. As proved by Hamilton and Rosberg at Canada, as proved by Webber at Valencia and in Webber's case the collision was with a person.

Oh but of course it's all okay because that person knew it could happen ;) Infact I'd go as far to say it was clearly all his fault :P [/irony]
Date: August 27, 2008 12:05PM
yeh ok, i might said it wrong, but what needs to happen before an f1 car enters a pitbox or something? Alot, they need to fly over each others wheels or something before they chance direction though.

Date: August 27, 2008 12:07PM
Lol! Do you ever stop digging?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy