> becaus he had nothinig to loose and a lot to gain
> to keep hismelf in the championship battle, but it
> was the wrong desicion, in CHina 2007 he finished
> 3rd...
>
> yes Silverstone was shitty, you already mentioned,
> and i know so, i watched it, but i also watched he
> had the wrong tyres

fuji 2007 kimi was on the same tyres, so that cant be an excuse, in china massa was way behind kimi, in silverstone he again was on the same tyres as kimi most of the time, but he still finished way behind, kimi finished 4th.

Re: F1 European Grand Prix: Valencia 2008
Date: August 25, 2008 01:39PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
Ok, three points:

1) Ferrari's pit stop system is NOT automated. One of the guys on the pit wall hits a switch to change the lights. This does puzzle me somewhat, because I'm not sure how you save the time in the pit stop by doing this, but that's the way it is anyway. Automated it is not.

2) Kimi hasn't won every race since 2002 - MS won in 2002. It's also not been held twice in the last five years, so just to be clear, he's won it the last three times. It's still a good achievement, but the statistics were put in a way that made it slightly more impressive than it really was...

3) Massa's consistency. Yeah, ok, in the past he's not been very consistent. Even this year, you can look at Malaysia and say he made a schoolboy error, or at Silverstone and just see that he had a mare. But to he honest, when you look at his speed and consistency compared to all the other drivers this year, he fares pretty well. He's won four races, the same number as Hamilton and two more than Kimi. He's retired once through driver error (Malaysia) and driven another awful race (Silverstone), but Hamilton screwed up in Canada and only just got away with another error in Monaco. Hamilton and Massa have one fastest lap between them - and that's Massa's from Valencia, and both have 7 podiums - to Kimi's 7 fastest laps and 6 podiums. So, Massa might not be consistent in the vain of Schumacher or Alonso like we've been used to, but compared to the driver's he up against, he seems to be as consistent as his rivals - with perhaps only Kubica being more consistent (backmarkers aside).

[Website]
Date: August 25, 2008 01:47PM
Posted by: LS.
ITV's pitlane reporter said that there is a button on the fuel hose that the mechanic presses when he's detached the hose from the car.

Domenicali explained how the team no longer uses a lollypop, but a system of lights in a pod directly in front of the driver. "The system works in the following way. When the fuel nozzle is connected to the car, you see that there is a red light on. At a certain moment, you see that there is a flashing light that is close to the red light, telling the driver that he has to be ready. Then, as soon as the nozzle comes off, the light becomes green unless the guy that is controlling the pit stop position overrides it manually, because there is a car in the fast lane coming through, so he has to delay the car. That is how the system works. We've used it since last year."

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2008 02:05PM by LS..
Date: August 25, 2008 02:08PM
Posted by: chet
I remember people saying, probably me(!!) that Ferraris new system would be better, but looks like its caused two problems in one weekend.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 25, 2008 02:28PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
Hmm, maybe the button the guy on the wall has is for pit lane traffic then. And if there's one for the fuel, what happens with the tyres? Although I guess the driver should be able to feel that anyway.

[Website]
Date: August 25, 2008 03:54PM
Posted by: DaveEllis

Date: August 25, 2008 12:08PM
Posted by: chet (IP Logged)

I remember people saying, probably me(!!) that Ferraris new system would be better, but looks like its caused two problems in one weekend.

Kimis onboard video showed the light was not green. The system didn't cause a problem, Kimi just left without being told to. The amber light was on which shows the tyre changers have finished. The green, which signals everyone has finished, go, wasn't on. This situation was no different to when people leave with the lollipop still down.

Similarly, someone on the Ferrari pit lane screwed up releasing Massa. Lollipop men have made the same mistakes before, so this isn't really a fault of the system.

However Massa should have been penalized for it. It is against the rules and people have been punished for it before, so Massa should have been.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 25, 2008 04:04PM
granted, Kimis incident was entirely Kimis fault. But once he saw the amber, he soon expected the green so probably chose to go, had they had a lollipop man, he would have probably remained stationary because the lollipop man would ahve seen the fuel nozzel still stuck on. In most cases of pit incidents its been the lollipop man releasing a driver too early.

But I dont think a lollipop man would not have let massa go, yes it's happened before but mot that often.

However Massa should have been penalized for it. It is against the rules and people have been punished for it before, so Massa should have been.

Massa was the one who had to take the quick action to avoid any possible accident and he did so avoid an accident. Rules are rules I agree, but like i said earlier why was nothing at all done about Alonso or Vettel.

Alonso broke the rules by crossing the white line, Vettel caused a dangerous situation causing Alonso to break the rules.

Nothign was said at all abotu that. It is the exactly the same situation, except in the case of Massa rather than cause an accident he slowed. At Germany, neither driver gave and Alonso crossed the white line.

Had either of them had got a penalty Vettel tbh, then I dont think there would no problem in handing Massa a drive-through, I still think it would be debatable whether it was right or wrong, but less so because they, the FIA would just be following previous examples.

For once it looks like they have kept consistancy with decisions.

Date: August 25, 2008 04:19PM
Posted by: BAR#10
Massa was penalized - granted with a fine, but within the the rules and stewards dicretion.

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Date: August 25, 2008 04:49PM
But once he saw the amber, he soon expected the green so probably chose to go, had they had a lollipop man, he would have probably remained stationary because the lollipop man would ahve seen the fuel nozzel still stuck on.

That doesn't make any sense (no offense). The system has worked countless times, at every event. Why would Kimi be expecting a green light sooner than normal? And Kimi can see the tyres being put on. If he is being held by a lollipop man, he still knows when the tyres are done, just like the amber light tells him with the current setup.

There was no problem or fault or flaw with the system. For whatever reason, Kimi screwed up and left before the system told him to do so. You cannot blame a system for a human error.

Massa was the one who had to take the quick action to avoid any possible accident and he did so avoid an accident.

He didn't make any quick action. He pulled alongside, and stayed there until he was faced with a solid concrete wall, and then he moved. His statement blaming Sutil, who followed the rules that F1 has been operating with since before Massa had even became a Formula One driver, was at fault, is simply insulting.

Even when he was alongside, Massa made no attempt to get in behind Sutil like the rules dictate. He stayed alongside until the end of the pit lane and only got back in line just before the wall.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 25, 2008 05:14PM
Posted by: Monza972
But if you hear the engine, Felipe did slow down after he got towards the wall so he avoided an accident. Which meant he did not need to be punished. Ofc, if he had just pushed sutil out then its a different story
Date: August 25, 2008 05:19PM
But if you hear the engine, Felipe did slow down after he got towards the wall so he avoided an accident. Which meant he did not need to be punished.

You can't give him credit for not driving head on into a wall. The *ONLY* reason he pulled in behind Sutil was because it was that, or crash. The rules state that the pit lane is single file only, and Massa disobeyed this and stayed alongside Sutil, only pulling in when he realised there was a concrete wall directly ahead. And just because an accident was avoided, does not mean punishment is not deserved.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2008 05:20PM by DaveEllis.
Date: August 25, 2008 05:30PM
But Massa couldn't be directly punished, the team were meant be on the job and use the override system they had on the pitstop lighting. They didn't use it and it was the team's botched job, so its not the driver's fault there
Date: August 25, 2008 05:34PM
But Massa couldn't be directly punished, the team were meant be on the job and use the override system they had on the pitstop lighting. They didn't use it and it was the team's botched job, so its not the driver's fault there

Cars are punished as a whole. You know this, I know this, everyone knows this. If an offense is committed, the driver is punished. For example, mechanics being on the grid after the 10 second mark is an offense outside of the drivers control, however the driver is punished. How else do you apply a sporting punishment to the mechanics? Give him a 5 second penalty? When the car pits he isn't allowed to do anything for the first 5 seconds?

Penalties are handed to the CARS. And anyway, the rules, as already posted by Morbid, are as follows:

i) It is the responsibility of the competitor to release his car after a pit stop only when it is safe to do so.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 25, 2008 06:12PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
how is this different from raikkonen at canada?

even if he had not been hit by lewis, i doubt there would have been a penalty for kimi.

even alonso and vettel in hockenheim came out side by side and one of them was even pushed over the pit exit line, but no penalty

X (@ed24f1)
Date: August 25, 2008 06:43PM
It isn't different for Kimi. The only reason nobody talked about that one is because something bigger and more important happened - Lewis ran into the back of Kimi.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 25, 2008 06:45PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That doesn't make any sense (no offense). The
> system has worked countless times, at every event.
> Why would Kimi be expecting a green light sooner
> than normal? And Kimi can see the tyres being put
> on. If he is being held by a lollipop man, he
> still knows when the tyres are done, just like the
> amber light tells him with the current setup.

A lollipop man has worked countless times ;-) Both can and have gone wrong in one way or another.

I meant once Kimi saw the amber he probably reacted to that assuming the green was to directly follow, his mistake, though we do not know what he was thinking. But with a lollipop man he would never have let Kimi go, therefore not allowing Kimi to make the same error.

> He didn't make any quick action. He pulled
> alongside, and stayed there until he was faced
> with a solid concrete wall, and then he moved. His
> statement blaming Sutil, who followed the rules
> that F1 has been operating with since before Massa
> had even became a Formula One driver, was at
> fault, is simply insulting.

Massa still avoided an accident which I think is the main reason he did not get a race penalty.

> Even when he was alongside, Massa made no attempt
> to get in behind Sutil like the rules dictate. He
> stayed alongside until the end of the pit lane and
> only got back in line just before the wall.
>

What you mean like Alonso and Vettel incident??? Which ill mention again was not given a thought of penalty by the looks of it.

To me it seemed the FIA messed things up themselves. Had they given Vettel the penalty at Germany then to give Massa one would have been as easy as a click of the fingers and the correct thing to do! However because the FIA never gave such a penalty or even a warning to either Vettel or Alonso it would be very wrong to punish Massa, and imo that was the main thing that held them back from a race penalty, ie a drive through.

And again what is the difference between this incident and the Canada one?

Ok Canada has wider pit exit, BUT like Sim said earlier what if Ferrari were not the last team in the pitlane? The pitlane is only one lane. Kimi should have been peanalized, so should Vettel and so should Massa. BUT because niether of the previous were punished how could they punish Massa, for doing what was done before, but unlike Vettel, Massa DID NOT force Alonso to break the rules.

edit - Lewis ran into Kimi, Lewis's fault, but Kimi ahd no right to be in that place in the first place, ahd he not been there then Lewis could have n00bed it up still AND got away with it without taking out other drivers. Lewis being silly and Kimi/Ferrari being dangerous (????) took each other out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2008 06:47PM by chet.
Date: August 25, 2008 07:10PM
A lollipop man has worked countless times ;-) Both can and have gone wrong in one way or another.

As has the Ferrari lights system. Just because there was 2 human errors today, doesn't mean there was an issue with the system. Kimi jumped the light, and Massa was let out into the path of another car, in the exact same fashion a lollipop man has also done in the past many times.

I meant once Kimi saw the amber he probably reacted to that assuming the green was to directly follow, his mistake, though we do not know what he was thinking. But with a lollipop man he would never have let Kimi go, therefore not allowing Kimi to make the same error.

Incorrect for 2 reasons. Firstly, as I already said, Kimi has been using this system since it was introduced. He, like you, me, and everybody else, knows that the green does not directly follow the amber. If he has understood this system every other time, why would he suddenly think "Well, no other time has the green come on directly after amber...but maybe this time....AMBER, GO GO GO! Crap..."?

And there are MANY occasions that the exact same problem has happened with a Lollipop man. If the Lollipop man even twiches, the drivers react and drive off. The teams which flip over the Lollipop, surely thats just a signal they need to accidentally drive off?

Massa still avoided an accident which I think is the main reason he did not get a race penalty.

Sorry but if thats the though process that went through the complete disregard for the rules and regulations then why don't we just bin the entire rule book? The only reason Massa avoided an accident was because he put himself in the situation to have one.. Had he slowed down and gotten behind Sutil, like the regulations dictate he should, then you could give him credit. But he didn't, he stayed alongside and only backed off because there was a wall in front of him. He broke the regulations and only avoided an accident because he would have been effected, not because the rule book said. He was acting in his own interests, not in the interests of the rule book, or in the interest of the safety of the people in the pit lane.

What you mean like Alonso and Vettel incident??? Which ill mention again was not given a thought of penalty by the looks of it.

One swallow does not make a summer (but it does make a good time). Drivers have been penalised for the team letting them out in front of cars in the passed, and he was not. It even happened on Saturday for the GP2 race, which has the same pit lane and sporting regulations as F1 does.

And again what is the difference between this incident and the Canada one?

I already addressed that in the post above, but shall do so again. The only reason the Canada incident was not talked about was because there was an accident occuring. The accident completely drew away attention to the fact they were side by side. Had the accident not occurred then people would have talked about the double file pit lane capers.

Think of it this way. You find £20 in the street. Thats pretty cool by anyones standards. But on the way home, you see an alien space ship. Which one do you immediately talk about?

edit - Lewis ran into Kimi, Lewis's fault, but Kimi ahd no right to be in that place in the first place, ahd he not been there then Lewis could have n00bed it up still AND got away with it without taking out other drivers. Lewis being silly and Kimi/Ferrari being dangerous (????) took each other out.

I know Kimi broke the rules. Were did I dispute that? And if the same situation had happened, and Lewis was being a moron, then he would have either ran the red light and rejoined the circuit illegally, or he would have just missed the back of the train of cars on the right, and went to the left - thus not only going double wide anyway, but overtaking in the pit lane, which is a massive no no. So either way, Lewis would have made a complete arse of himself, whether or not Kimi was there or not.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 25, 2008 08:00PM
I never once said there was an issue with the system.

Incorrect for 2 reasons. Firstly, as I already said, Kimi has been using this system since it was introduced. He, like you, me, and everybody else, knows that the green does not directly follow the amber. If he has understood this system every other time, why would he suddenly think "Well, no other time has the green come on directly after amber...but maybe this time....AMBER, GO GO GO! Crap..."?

Maybe so, but remember he was racing Heikki and for all we know just reacted to the amber assuming the lights would go green for when he left. I said it was my opinion he left in a rush. Like I said who knows what he was thinking, he made a mistake, others have done it in the past with the lollipop man, reacting too quick despite the lollipop still being down.

One swallow does not make a summer (but it does make a good time). Drivers have been penalised for the team letting them out in front of cars in the passed, and he was not. It even happened on Saturday for the GP2 race, which has the same pit lane and sporting regulations as F1 does.

Chandok incident?? That was abit different, that was blatent disrespect to the rules and in that case the end result was not as clean as Massa-Sutil.

Yes drivers have been penailised and I agree that yes they should ahve. And I would agree that Massa should ahve PROVIDED the FIA Penalised Vettel, and Kimi and yet there was nothing.

About Kimi, the point is not that there was accident, in fact shouldnt the accident only prove the point that Kimi should not have been let go? No kimi in the way no accident? No-one mentioned it because the pitlane is wide enough, though it does not excuse the fact that he should not have been released.

Yes Ferrari were in the wrong, and Massa for simply not slotting in initially but I can just can see how the FIA would ahve justified a penalty without having given Vettel one. Had that not happened I would have been all for Massa getting a drive through.

He broke the rules to certain degree, as did Kimi as did Vettel. No penalty for either. The FIA have @#$%& themselves up because the next time it happens this season, say in Spa, how can they give the driver a penalty when he clearly deserves it?

The team will just come back with the argument, as Ferrari did, that the incident has happened before this season with no action taken.

Whilst were on penaltys, who else agrees Alonso fine is just so stupid? 10,000 euros for crossing a painted line. How do they work out it cost that much?

Date: August 25, 2008 08:12PM
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whilst were on penaltys, who else agrees Alonso
> fine is just so stupid? 10,000 euros for crossing
> a painted line. How do they work out it cost that
> much?

It was completely stupid, it was free practice and the track was new so you would definitely the entry and cars pass over that line so you don't know if they are going into the pitlane until they do go in there
Date: August 25, 2008 08:14PM
I never once said there was an issue with the system.

Date: August 25, 2008 12:08PM
Posted by: chet (IP Logged)

Chandok incident?? That was abit different, that was blatent disrespect to the rules and in that case the end result was not as clean as Massa-Sutil.

Massa commited blatent disrespect for the rules, first by refusing to get behind Sutil, and then by refusing to even acknowledged his fault in the event and blaming Sutil. If that isn't disrespect for the rules, and safety, what is?

Ferrari broke the rules by letting Massa go in the path of another car. No question. Massa then broke the rules by continuing down double file and only going single file to avoid driving into a wall. But yet no sporting punishment was placed upon them for the breach in regulations, only a silly little fine. A fine which doesn't effect Ferrari, only Massa. Ferrari caused the issue in the first place, and receive no penalty.

Whilst were on penaltys, who else agrees Alonso fine is just so stupid? 10,000 euros for crossing a painted line. How do they work out it cost that much?

A line is a line, and the rules were brought in to first of all, stop people coming out of the pits and merging directly in front of other cars, and secondly to stop people cutting chunks of the pit lane out. 10,000€ is nothing to Alonso anyway.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy