JPM to Ganassi Nextel Cup #42

Posted by DaveEllis 
JPM to Ganassi Nextel Cup #42
Date: July 09, 2006 05:10PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Montoya to NASCAR? #42?: Another big F1 name which very recently surfaced in regard to a possible American move is former open wheel champion and Indy 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya, who likely is losing his F1 ride with the Mercedes-McLaren team at the end of this season. In the past few weeks, Montoya's name has been linked to his old boss, Chip Ganassi, who last month told Autosport magazine, "I'd love to have Montoya back. I'd take him in a second," a comment which many had interpreted as having the Colombian take a seat in one of Ganassi's IRL cars. However, according to sources close to Montoya, what the 31-year-old former CART champion really is interested in is Ganassi's soon-to-be vacant #42 Nextel Cup car. Despite never having competed in a Cup car, Montoya did spend some time behind the wheel of Jeff Gordon's Monte Carlo in June 2003. Most observers agree that Montoya did a fine job his first time in a stock car, although he did misjudge the braking power of the much-heavier stock car and overshot the first turn. He went on to run six laps at full speed. Last weekend at the U.S. Grand Prix, Montoya was part of a press conference with DaimlerChrysler chairman Dr. Dieter Zetsche [Ask Dr Z], his current boss Ron Dennis and NASCAR team owner Ray Evernham, who helped usher Dodge back into NASCAR. DaimlerChrysler is the manufacturer of both the Dodge and Mercedes Benz brands, and Ganassi, of course, runs Dodges in Nextel Cup. Although staged during the F1 race weekend, the press event was designed to reaffirm DaimlerChrysler's commitment to motorsports and specifically to NASCAR, which it recently has been rumored to be leaving. However, it also provided an excellent opportunity for Montoya to be reintroduced to the American press and linked to NASCAR, as well as to be embraced by DaimlerChrysler's top execs. They see Montoya as a strong link between their company and the Latino audience, especially in regard to a series like Nextel Cup. Should Montoya take up residence with Ganassi's NASCAR team, he would replace another former open wheel racer in Casey Mears, who heads to Hendrick Motorsports next season.(in part from Yahoo Sports)
MORE: been told that Montoya has been signed by Ganassi to take over the #42 Dodge in 2007 and will run a few Busch Series races this year.(7-9-2006)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, July 9th 2006, 14:35 GMT

Juan Pablo Montoya has decided to turn his back on Formula One at the end of the season and will make a switch to NASCAR next year, autosport.com can reveal.

The Colombian's future has been the subject of intense speculation for months, as it appeared his options to remain in grand prix racing were narrowing, but Montoya has now inked a deal with Chip Ganassi Racing to compete in the Nextel Cup. autosport.com understands that it is a long term deal.

Montoya enjoyed a successful relationship with Ganassi when he captured the 1999 CART championship and the 2000 Indianapolis 500 crown.

Recently Ganassi said he would be interested in re-recruiting the driver, but it had been thought that this was for his Indy Racing League outfit.

However, sources close to Montoya have revealed that talks between the driver and his former team boss have focused on a move to NASCAR, with Chip Ganassi Racing having been looking for a replacement for Casey Mears.

Those talks have culminated this weekend in a deal being signed, with Montoya taking over the number 42 car from the start of next season. On Saturday night, Mears captured his first Busch victory in the car at Chicagoland.

Although Montoya has never raced a NASCAR, he did spend some time behind the wheel of Jeff Gordon's Monte Carlo during a promotional activity at Indianapolis in June 2003.

Sources close to Montoya have indicated that Montoya became excited by the option of NASCAR when it became offered to him. "He's just glad to be going back home," said one source.

Montoya said recently that he was far from concerned about his future in motor racing - and admitted that 'anything was possible' in terms of where he would be racing.

"Well I am quite relaxed," said Montoya when asked about his feelings on getting a deal for next year. "I am looking at my options and we will see what happens. I am not too worried about anything. Nothing is sure but I am pretty happy."

When asked if he was confident he would remain in F1, Montoya said: "I don't know. I am looking at all my options and we will see what happens.

"I am not too worried about it. I am trying to put myself in the best position of where I am going to be happiest."

Ganassi was unavailable for comment about the deal, but speaking recently he said that his target for Mears' replacement would be in simply signing the fastest guy possible.

"You have to take the best guy that is available to you, whoever he is, wherever he is, whatever he is," he said. "There are a lot of teams looking for drivers.

"Am I happy about this? No. Am I happy to be in this situation? No. Is it a disaster? No, it's not a disaster, either. It's just part of the business."

Single seater drivers have had mixed success in making the switch to NASCAR. Former Champ Car champion Jimmy Vasser competed in a few Busch Series races before calling it quits, as did Paul Tracy who subsequently signed a five-year contract extension to remain in single seaters. Michel Jourdain Jr. left Champ Car for NASCAR but failed to make an impact in Busch or the Truck Series.

The one exception to the rule is former IRL champion Tony Stewart, who has two Nextel Cup championships to his name and shares the same kind of aggression on the track that is a hallmark of Montoya.

Only last weekend, former world champion Jacques Villeneuve said that he would consider a switch to NASCAR once his F1 career was over.

"Going to NASCAR might not be such a bad career move because it's the most exciting race series in the U.S. and it's a very different discipline to F1," he told The Red Bulletin. "I would not consider it a step down. Would I consider a move to stock cars? I would."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: JPM to Ganassi Nextel Cup #42
Date: July 09, 2006 05:17PM
Posted by: vesuvius
seems more likely that he will leave formula 1 behind him .I'm not really happy that he most likely will leave :( because he brings some colour to formula 1 in good and bad way .
Date: July 09, 2006 05:17PM
Posted by: tripleM
Date: July 09, 2006 05:26PM
Posted by: calimbo
You see? this is why i don't support him anymore. He's going down, down, down to hell. How would i prefer go to Nascar instead of F1? And i Know he doesn't have too many options, but because of what i read today on the newspaper, he was desperate to drive anywhere next year. He should have focused on driving better and stop all those @#$%&¡ng mistakes.

It's just a shame. He's just a big shame.
Date: July 09, 2006 05:28PM
Posted by: Nickv
So because he is going not that well, you don't support him anymore? That's just weak.
Date: July 09, 2006 05:37PM
Posted by: vbc
Nah, I think Calimbo has the right to stop supporting some driver or team, I do not think because the bad season he has had, maybe is that he has not adapted to F1 changes since 2001.

Anyway, whatever happens, F1 does not depend on any driver non team,look what happened in 1994, F1 was not over and it will be among us while people follow it :)

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Date: July 09, 2006 05:37PM
Posted by: calimbo
No, because that shows he's just a loser
Date: July 09, 2006 05:45PM
Sources close to Montoya have indicated that Montoya became excited by the option of NASCAR when it became offered to him. "He's just glad to be going back home," said one source.

What a loser.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 09, 2006 05:57PM
JOLIET, Ill. (AP) -Formula One driver Juan Pablo Montoya will drive in NASCAR for Chip Ganassi Racing next season, team owner Chip Ganassi said Sunday.

Montoya, who drove for Ganassi in Indy-style racing before moving up to Formula One, joined Ganassi at Chicagoland Speedway on Sunday morning. He met with his new crew members at the No. 42 team and attended a closed-door meeting with NASCAR officials, including NASCAR president Mike Helton.

Ganassi said Montoya will drive the No. 42 car full-time next season, but may enter selected Busch Series this year after he finishes the season with the McLaren-Mercedes team.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 09, 2006 06:06PM
Posted by: Muks_C
i don't particularly like JPM, but i think he is good enough to be in F1, but maybe not with a top team like McLaren. when you look at some of the crap drivers that are in and have been in F1, then he definitely deserves to be in F1. at least he has won titles before and the Indy 500, so he does have some skill and talent, it's just he's too fiery at times.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 09, 2006 06:10PM
Confirmed. JPM will drive in NASCAR

SpeedTV covering a press confeence which is confirming the news.

Chip Ganassi and Juan Montoya will be reunited in 2007 but it won't be in open wheel racing.

In one of the most shocking career changes in recent memory, Montoya is leaving Formula 1 to drive for Ganassi in NASCAR's Nextel Cup series.

SPEEDtv.com has learned that Montoya will be named to drive the No. 41 car in a press conference this morning at Chicago.

Despite seven wins during the past six years, the 30-year-old Colombian found himself in F1 limbo because his contract with McLaren is not being renewed and no other good F1 seats were open.

The 1999 CART champion and 2000 Indy 500 winner has only driven a stock car one time and that was during an exhibition at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with Jeff Gordon when they swapped cars.

"We'll run him in Busch and Nextel Cup next year to try and get him as much experience as quickly as possible," said Ganassi on Sunday morning. "We'll also try to work in some selected Busch events near the end of this season."

It's believed Frank Williams had offered his old driver a seat for '07 but that Montoya opted to turn it down.

By hiring Montoya, who has a residence in Miami, Ganassi fulfills NASCAR's diversity program for Hispanic-speaking people and greatly enhances the chances of a Cup event in Mexico City.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 09, 2006 06:13PM
so is it really official now ?
Date: July 09, 2006 06:17PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Confirmed. JPM will drive in NASCAR

I guess so. Best of luck to him, hopefully he'll be much happier there than he has been this season particularly in F1 :)
Date: July 09, 2006 06:18PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
Muks_C Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> i don't particularly like JPM, but i think he is good enough to be in
> F1, but maybe not with a top team like McLaren. when you look at some
> of the crap drivers that are in and have been in F1, then he
> definitely deserves to be in F1. at least he has won titles before and
> the Indy 500, so he does have some skill and talent, it's just he's
> too fiery at times.
>

too fiery? i can safely say WTF!
thats the problem with F1 you want the drivers to be robots, whats wrong with a emotion filled driver who wears his heart on his sleeve and tries all kinds of moves? OK they dont always work but at least he attempts them rather than sitting back like a docile sloth. We have now lost the last of the truly great overtakers. DC and Schuie have long since given up on overtaking it seems.
F1 is a worse place without JPM now IMO.

mdp4499 wrote:
Hahahaha JPM said "In F1 you touch wheels and you're an animal."

That is live from the SPEED press conference. That sums up F1 totally.
Date: July 09, 2006 06:18PM
Date: July 09, 2006 04:13PM
Posted by: vesuvius (IP Logged)

so is it really official now ?

According to the Team Owner, yup. JPM drove for them back in the days of CART too.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 09, 2006 06:19PM
sad news :( this is a real lost for formula 1 :(
Date: July 09, 2006 06:52PM
Posted by: Morbid
Mini Maestro Wrote:
> Muks_C Wrote:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i don't particularly like JPM, but i think he is good enough to
> be in
> > F1, but maybe not with a top team like McLaren. when you look at
> some
> > of the crap drivers that are in and have been in F1, then he
> > definitely deserves to be in F1. at least he has won titles
> before and
> > the Indy 500, so he does have some skill and talent, it's just
> he's
> > too fiery at times.
> >
>
>
> too fiery? i can safely say WTF!
> thats the problem with F1 you want the drivers to be robots, whats
> wrong with a emotion filled driver who wears his heart on his sleeve
> and tries all kinds of moves? OK they dont always work but at least he
> attempts them rather than sitting back like a docile sloth. We have
> now lost the last of the truly great overtakers. DC and Schuie have
> long since given up on overtaking it seems.
> F1 is a worse place without JPM now IMO.
>
>
> mdp4499 wrote:
> Hahahaha JPM said "In F1 you touch wheels and you're an animal."
>
> That is live from the SPEED press conference. That sums up F1 totally.
>
>

Amen! Preach it brother.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 09, 2006 06:53PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Yeh! Finaly no stupid juan in formula one!

Date: July 09, 2006 06:55PM
Posted by: Nickv
He isn't stupid, the moves he sometimes makes are stupid. JPM himself is a cool guy with personality and someone who brings someting into F1 (you broke my f*cking head).
Date: July 09, 2006 06:58PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Nickv schreef:
> He isn't stupid, the moves he sometimes makes are stupid. JPM himself
> is a cool guy with personality and someone who brings someting into F1
> (you broke my f*cking head).
>
>
> Holland is out...
>
> Nickv is your WGP/W300 press release service! PM your story!

Like I said stupid

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy