Posted by DaveEllis 
Re: JPM to Ganassi Nextel Cup #42
Date: July 10, 2006 06:44PM
Posted by: marcl
merc have now also lost their engine man to bmw
Date: July 10, 2006 07:04PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Good for Montoya, certainly an interesting career move, but I wish him well. I think once he gets the hang of NASCAR he'll
do quite well and really enjoy himself.

Date: July 10, 2006 07:15PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
marcl i very much doubt if merc have only one engine man.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: July 10, 2006 07:25PM
Posted by: Muks_C
@ Dave, what's a Restrictor Plate?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 10, 2006 07:37PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
A Restrictor plate is a metal plate with specificly sized holes drilled in it. The plate is placed between carburetor and the intake manifold. It reduces the air to the engine, effectivly starving it. It almost halfs the power of the motor. Its ran on the 2 large tracks (Daytona and Talladega) where the field would be hitting 240mph in the packs.

The restrictor plate limits the cars to around 190mph in qualifying trim, 180mph in race trim (without the draft (slip stream)). With the draft, in the race, they touch about 195-200mph. Because they are limited you get the field running in massive packs. Restrictor Plate racing is unlike anything you'll ever seen anywhere else. Its very much a 200mph game of chess. Trying to place yourself in the right lane and find a car that you can work with well. Alot of the new drivers struggle at Restrictor Plate races because they cant "read the air". Its something the late Dale Earnhardt Sr was an expert at. Trying to predict how everything will happen is a skill you can only learn by going out there and doing it. Montoya is going to struggle with that at first, hes had no experience with it.

Restrictor Plate:

The packs Restrictor Plates create

dont think that moving to the inside works either. The outside, or even middle lanes can be just as fast, and usually are. Note the different aeropackage on the cars. Higher front valance

Oh, and just for fun. In that photo, the pink car on the inside is a Ganassi car (its usually red, but was pink to promote breast cancer awareness. The black Texaco car at the top at the back is the Ganassi car Juan Montoya will be taking over. Its a classic livery that never changes much, and Texaco is signed through 2007. Its also Ganassis primary car

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2006 07:46PM by DaveEllis.
Date: July 10, 2006 07:41PM
ah cool.

so it limits everyone to well within the car's potential performance thus creating close racing?

it's be like limiting F1 cars to 150mph?

Date: July 10, 2006 07:53PM
Sort of yeah. Imagine if F1 cars were doing 300mph at spa. the FIA would have to do something. So thats what the FIA did. The cars in the late 80s were doing 210mph and had a tendancy to take off when spun and usually have a series of serious rolls, or even worse, rip into the catch fencing.

A side effect they didnt expect when they limited them is they started racing in packs. Now when an accident happens its usually quite large with alot of cars, but the speeds are considerably lower (and safety has progressed alot) so despite the car numbers, the accident itself has less safety problems than the old days.

The racings stupidly close in the packs but you'll usually find the same cars at the front as normal. As shown in GP2, and A1GP, having standard cars doesnt mean everyones the same as the preperation is completelty different.

In that photo you have the big boys leading again. Middle lane, leading, Hendick car, behind him, Roush car, behind him, Dale Earnhardt Inc. car. Outside lane you have another hendrick car, followed by a roush car. Inside lane, a Ganassi car followed by another Dale Earnhardt Inc. car. So whilst it closes the pack up, it means the back end is closer to the front in terms of time, but in terms of position it doesnt change much. It does give the drivers who have mastered the RP driving like Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt Jr a time to shine though.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 10, 2006 08:00PM
Done a bit more research for the facts. The Restrictor Plate was introduced after the Winston 500 in 1987 at Talladega. Bobby Allison took off at 210mph and the car went into the catch fencing. Video here:

&search=Bobby%20Allison

Bill Elliot set the record that year. 213mph average speed.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 10, 2006 08:01PM
Posted by: Morbid
rapid_f1 Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> marcl i very much doubt if merc have only one engine man.
>

I think he means the head engine man.

Check the story: [f1.racing-live.com]

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 10, 2006 08:07PM
yep the head man of development, so in one year mclaren have probably lost 2 drivers, all the top car people and now the engine man nice one
Date: July 10, 2006 08:12PM
thanks for the info and vid Dave, the crowd were very lucky in that one.

Date: July 10, 2006 08:20PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Damn those things sound pretty nice. I watched a little program on Motors TV this afternoon about the Busch series, but haven't found out when the next Cup race is yet. Should be worth a watch though methinks...
Date: July 10, 2006 08:32PM
Next Nextel Cup race is this weekend at New Hampshire which is quite a small oval. It'll be on NASN (pay channel :( ) Busch Series is at the same track on Saturday, live on MotorsTV. This race will be nothing like a Restrictor Plate race, but short track racing is normally fun!

Edit, for anyone who hasnt seen the JPM/Gordon swap.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2006 08:37PM by DaveEllis.
Date: July 10, 2006 08:47PM
gordon was well on it in that williams gving it plenty of curb
Date: July 10, 2006 08:52PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
thats a funny name - Chip.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: July 10, 2006 09:11PM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Morbid Wrote:
> Nickv Wrote:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He gives his opinion (He finds JPM a failure) and because he
> doesn't
> > like JPM or whatsoever, his post falls in the Poor-post-category.
>
> > Because he doesn't like JPM and you appearently do.
>
> So if I claim that the moon is made of cheese, you would praise me for
> it too?
>
> When people state opinions that in full contradiction to the facts
> that are within easy access, and they claim that they have the ability
> to do just that, then it is time to question either their sanity or
> motive...
>
> I opt to question the latter.
>
> So here are but a few examples:
>
> Jagdpanzer Wrote:
> -----
> > And contrary to what you and some other "experts" here have
> stated, I
> > have seen no evidence that RBR EVER offered him a contract. JPM
> would
> > have leapt at the chance to drive for them, and said as much in
> a
> > recent interview in F1 Racing. RBR didn't want JPM because they
> know
> > they have a better driver and known quantity in DC and that there
> is
> > more potential upswing for a younger driver to take over the
> second
> > seat behind him than for JPM to destroy 3 or 4 cars over the
> course of
> > the season.
>
> Article from yesterday - "Questions unanswered in Red Bull camp":
>
>
>
> "He also said he believed that Juan Pablo Montoya had not been
> 'completely' ruled out of the 2007 equation."
>
>
> Jagdpanzer Wrote:
> -----
> > He wore out his welcome at McLaren, Ferrari doesn't want him,
> Pat
> > Symonds from Renault didn't think JPM worthy of driving for
> them,
> > Honda is full, RBR didn't want him, so whats left? Williams?
> Midland?
> > Super Aguri?
>
> Article from today - "Montoya looking forward to NASCAR":
>
>
>
> "Just minutes before the announcement here at Chicagoland Speedway,
> Montoya telephoned McLaren team principal Ron Dennis and Mercedes-Benz
> racing director Norbert Haug to inform them of his decision. "I can't
> say they were happy about it," Montoya said."
>
> Article from today - "Montoya says he had F1 'options"
>
>
>
> "I had a couple of options in F1," the Colombian told a news
> conference in Chicago on Sunday, "and they were completely open for me
> to sign.""
>
>
> Jagdpanzer Wrote:
> -----
> > BTW, Morbid, I know how to search Google
> > images and find some juvenile little forum jpeg to post too if I
> ever
> > feel so inclined...)
>
> Why don't you use your internet skills to read some information about
> the topics you choose to talk online about. Then perhaps you would not
> need to make stuff up.
>
>
>

My final response to you and your juvenile cohort DaveEllis is this. Categorically everything I stated is justified. THATS IT.

Anyone not blinded by their irrational lust to sniff JPM's jockstrap can see the writing was on the wall for JPM in F1. No more McLaren for him, no Ferrari, no Renault, and yes no RBR. GERHARD BERGER DOES NOT RUN RBR - HE IS THE TEAM PRINCIPLE FOR STR - you "learned" gentleman might not be able to discern the difference there, but they are indeed two SEPERATE teams.

And the F1-Live quote you make such a fuss over was this: "Berger also said he believed that Juan Pablo Montoya had not been 'completely' ruled out of the 2007 equation." THATS ALL IT SAYS REGARDING JPM. Now, please tell me oh great F1 guru, what in that article contradicts my statement that there is NO evidence he was ever offered a contract by RBR? Clearly your reading comprehension skills leave a bit to be desired, eh?

Oh, and another demonstration of my horrific bias against JPM was my quote repeated by your chum Ellis: " JPM will fit right in with the yokels in NASCAR ..." AND HE WILL - PERFECTLY. Jeff Gordon won yesterday. How? By putting the nose of his car into Matt Kennseth's rear bumper and spinning him out with 4 laps to go. The fans actually showered the track with garbage at the end of this race. Montoya will thrive in this climate where his on track aggression will be rewarded instead of rightly being pointed out as poor behavior. ellis even went so far as to quote that "genius" Benny Parsons directly (and I use that term VERY sarcastically) Parsons says :"The Europeans have to sit up and say, 'What's that about?'." Apparently Parsons has no clue that JPM is from THIS hemisphere (the west for you overseas blokes!) and hails from Colombia, not Europe! LOL

I really don't care why JPM left F1. No doubt McLaren will replace him....unless they retire his car out of honor to him as you and Ellis propose and run only one car for Alonzo next year. Newsflash fellows: I live in the USA... I'm fully aware of all NASCAR has going.... but the sad fact for Ellis and the one reason he has his panties in a bind is I simply don't care for NASCAR nor rush to tell him how right he is every time he touts it as being a superior form of motorsport. I once asked Ellis on this forum why did he even bother posting, as it was clear he hated F1. He didn't give much of an answer then, and I still can't understand it now.

And as to the moon being made of cheese Morbid - I'll be glad to debate that with you as long as you don't tell me JPM owns the moon and has a option to buy Mars at the end of this season.....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 09:09AM by Jagdpanzer.
Date: July 10, 2006 09:53PM
Posted by: Nickv
DaveEllis schreef:
> Next Nextel Cup race is this weekend at New Hampshire which is quite a
> small oval. It'll be on NASN (pay channel ) Busch Series is at the
> same track on Saturday, live on MotorsTV. This race will be nothing
> like a Restrictor Plate race, but short track racing is normally fun!
>
> Edit, for anyone who hasnt seen the JPM/Gordon swap.
>
>
>
>
>
> Dave Ellis - The Cosmic Pope
> iDT - Independent Developers Team
> v12racing - v12racing.net
>
> Turn it up to 11!
>
>
>
> 1 keer gewijzigd. Laatste wijziging: 10/07/2006 20:37 door DaveEllis.

What a luck I have it for one month :)
At what time is it? I've looked on the website but the TV listings aren't there for Sunday yet.
Date: July 10, 2006 10:02PM
For NASCAR Busch Series:

MotorsTV
20.00 (UK Time)
Saturday 15th June

As you say, the Nextel Cup coverage isnt posted on the NASN site yet, but heres a quick estimate.

TV Program starts 3pm EST, on TNT. Thats 8pm UK time. So around 8-9pm UK time on NASN on Sunday should be the live Nextel event. That might run to almost midnight though. The races are quite long, sometimes too long IMO, but still, its fun :)

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 10, 2006 10:59PM
A slight correction to something i posted earlier.

The top 35 cars in the championship are locked into the field. If they enter, they qualify.

Montoya is entering into a current car, not a new car. The current #42 Car sits in the top 15 in the championship. Therefore, if nothing goes drasticly wrong, it'll be in the top 35. So providing JPM enteres the Daytona Speedweeks, he'll run the qualifying race, and therefore automaticly qualfy on owner points for the #42 car.

So there you have it, a weight off his shoulders. All he needs to do is turn up and enter the Qualifying race and hes in the Daytona 500.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 10, 2006 11:07PM
Posted by: RonnyF1
Oh boy jagd, you truly despise Montoya.

Let all the drivers please be like DC and sit behind others waiting for something to happen when you have THE BEST CAR IN F1. And yes, a bit of racism too, why not?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy