Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: October 18, 2010 06:40PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
What does the final upgrade relate to:" 8. AI: Driver Behaviours - Addressed some issues in driver behaviour balancing that were causing occasionally unrealistic finishing positions." May that be about fixing the rubber banding?

Also, I've missed this somewhere, but what's up with the Fuel Sim setting? I haven't noticed any issues when I've been playing (although I only do 10% races atm to avoid the pit stop problems).

Date: October 18, 2010 06:48PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Heikki and Jaime are horrors on mine, frequently finishing in the top five. I dunno if this is down to "unrealistic driver properties" or down to them not stopping.

I will agree with something someone else said a while back though - ever since I turned the track map on, the AI seem to be significantly less dodgy. Significantly.

I'm sure this has something to do with AI not being simulated off screen correctly which is somehow alleviated (not cured) by having the map on.
Date: October 18, 2010 08:50PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Liuzzi just won the British GP. LOL

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: October 18, 2010 09:41PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
By driver behaviour balancing, I think they mean the potential variability of driver speed.

[Website]
Date: October 19, 2010 12:13AM
Posted by: 97kirkc
F1 2010 Patch Changelog details via [www.virtualr.net]

Date: October 19, 2010 10:19AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
97kirkc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> F1 2010 Patch Changelog details via
> [www.virtualr.net]
> log/

Yes, the full list has been posted on the previous page. Thank you.
Date: October 19, 2010 11:09AM
Posted by: chet
So no change to Silverstone? I guess the modders will soon sort that one out anyway, right?

This patch sounds okay, again ill wait for your reviews but seems like it might be worth a buy now. Im just glad ive held out. Been enjoying gtr-evo nad race 07 when i can as my thread suggests :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 19, 2010 03:38PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The modeling of tracks was outsourced. Codemasters claimed they'd laser scan every track (even put together a fake point cloud screenshot set of Spa) and then got a shock when they realise just how much it costs. That is why the quality of the tracks varies so massively. They won't fix Silverstone because it wasn't done in house.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 19, 2010 06:55PM
Posted by: gav
I've only looked at a couple of tracks (Spa, Suzuka, Singapore and briefly Melbourne and Silverstone) and while most are believable, despite small obvious layouts issues (Chapel aside), Melbourne is atrocious. It's about twice as wide as it looks in reality and most corners are at least a gear higher than in reality. That's the worst track I've seen so far.

I don't mind tracks which haven't been laser-scanned, but modders tracks a decade old from the likes of GPL (and in the majority of cases GP3 and probably GP2 (I can't remember GP2 tracks now!)) are far more accurate. These are awful.
Date: October 19, 2010 07:44PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Whoops! Not sure how I managed to miss the previous page.

Speaking of terrible tracks though, I think the worst mistake I've spotted is the Monaco tunnel. At what point did they view ANY images or video footage and come to the conclusion the tunnel is BANKED?

Date: October 19, 2010 08:38PM
Posted by: Guimengo
gav Wrote:
> I've only looked at a couple of tracks (Spa,
> Suzuka, Singapore and briefly Melbourne and
> Silverstone) and while most are believable,
> despite small obvious layouts issues (Chapel
> aside), Melbourne is atrocious. It's about twice
> as wide as it looks in reality and most corners
> are at least a gear higher than in reality. That's
> the worst track I've seen so far.
>
> I don't mind tracks which haven't been
> laser-scanned, but modders tracks a decade old
> from the likes of GPL (and in the majority of
> cases GP3 and probably GP2 (I can't remember GP2
> tracks now!)) are far more accurate. These are
> awful.

On my first online experience with Ralv585 he had Melbourne as one of the tracks to race, I was soooo lost as I was going off GP3/4 and rFactor memory, the higher gears are indeed atrocious! At least I was able to do that very fast left/right hander (where Glock shattered his Toyota) just fine, unlike in rF :P. Monaco banked is indeed weird, it's almost as if they want to absolutely prevent anyone from drifting wide and hitting the wall there.
Date: October 19, 2010 08:43PM
Posted by: Robert
Suzuka is also far too wide in places (at least in my opinion), and I agree that Melbourne is awful too.

Batracer - the online racing manager game - join here :) [batracer.com]
Date: October 19, 2010 09:33PM
Posted by: matt3454
turn 1 can be taken almost flat out at melbourne, gained me near a second when i realised!

Date: October 19, 2010 09:52PM
Hungary is the funniest. It's not even close.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 20, 2010 02:09AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
You can't tell them anything though. So meh.
Date: October 20, 2010 05:49AM
Posted by: MysticalCrayon
think its been mentioned before but the exit of parabolica is just ridiculous
Date: October 20, 2010 10:40AM
matt3454 Wrote:
> turn 1 can be taken almost flat out at melbourne,
> gained me near a second when i realised!

Really? Almost flat out? You must be playing a different version of the game I am then. Melbourne feels almost exactly the same to me that it does in most rFactor and GP4 mods. The braking points even feel the same.

And about the 'inaccuracies' on other tracks, maybe, just maybe they weren't depicted realistically before, in other games? And maybe Monaco tunnel really is slightly banked? I dunno for a fact though.

But with the actual game there's many issues. Like choosing the R&D path at the end of season, I selected Aggressive and voila, I'm up to Silverstone and it has been Balanced all the way, how dumb is that?

And the fuel simulation? 100% race at Suzuka with Kubica, with fuel sim on, I am 5 seconds slower than the leaders. With it off? A full second to 1.5 seconds quicker.

Though if fuel sim can be applied to all AI cars aswell it will be an awesome feature, as the car feels really good when it's heavy, and by good I mean you can really feel the tank is full.

Tyre and engine wear/temperature indicators, I think they could implement the graphical displayment a bit more gradually, i.e. more intervals. Because currently it's just too simple: From ideal temperature to too hot in an instant, what about temperatures rather?
Date: October 20, 2010 12:31PM
Posted by: chet
wow, didnt realize the track problems were so bad!
hopefully modders will fix it all soon...

i hope someone converts the GP4 suzuka by TTTT (???) the one thats been converted for use in rF, GTR evo etc. Its quite simply one of the best tracks ever imo.

How would people rate this as coddies first F1 attempt? Also, at what point did Anty D accept that the tracks were so wrong? Was he really used for testing or wsa he paid to say good things?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 20, 2010 12:46PM
And about the 'inaccuracies' on other tracks, maybe, just maybe they weren't depicted realistically before, in other games? And maybe Monaco tunnel really is slightly banked? I dunno for a fact though.

No the Monaco tunnel is not banked. No, other games (such as iRacing) have tracks which are scanned with sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads. And anyone who knows even the slightest about motorsport can see Hungary is totally wrong, and Silverstone has the MotoGP layout modeled.

This is before you talk about how awful the tracks are in terms of quality, not accuracy. Spa has razor kerbs with a poly structure similar to PSX games. Parabolica is bumpy, not because it's meant to be there, just because the loft is crap.

How would people rate this as coddies first F1 attempt? Also, at what point did Anty D accept that the tracks were so wrong? Was he really used for testing or wsa he paid to say good things?

Davidson was a marketing tool. Nobody can play this game and call it "faultless" without being paid.

First attempt? 4/10. It got the jist of it down, but fell down on several major points. The tracks are not good enough, the AI is some of the worst of any racing game I've ever played. The physics are fine for the type of game it's meant to be I suppose, but it could do with modeling wheel spin and kerb behaviour more correctly. Sounds are nice, graphics are nice, career mode is nice, presentation is nice.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 20, 2010 03:59PM
Yeah true I know Silverstone is USELESS!!! No flow at the Chapel whatsoever.

Also did anyone else notice how the circuits we're crap at is generally the ones with very little or no grip? EG Silverstone and Spain, it feels like you are drifting sideways at some corners. Maybe the AI doesn't have that negative grip for all the circuits.

I must say the game is better after just deleting catchup.xml, at Montreal the AI is superb compared to their human counterparts, I did a race last night where I finished 3 seconds ahead of Hamilton while pushing like mad, and without the catchup.xml he was staying about 5-6 seconds behind me until I put my engine to cruise mode the last 5 laps where he caught me. Very fun. If the AI could just match humans like that on AI it'd be awesome racing.

A tip for those of you who may not know this yet, which I doubt: If you have an unsupported wheel made by Logitech - like I have the Logitech Formula Vibration Feedback wheel - and you cannot access the advanced menu options: download the latest drivers for say G25/G27, v5.10. The latest drivers for my wheel was 5.4, which didn't enable me to access the advanced settings in the game. No matter if the docs say your wheel isn't supported, it still worked with mine. No more silly deadzones for me!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy