Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: October 20, 2010 07:19PM
Posted by: CaptinFranko
Having nearly played through my first season of my career I have to say I was a little dissapointed with how team negotiations for the following season are handled. Although somewhat unbelievably, I have won three races for Virgin this year and I have hauled the team into 5th place above Mercedes and Williams, yet when the offers come rolling in its only the likes of Torro Rosso and HRT that are interested. Whilst I appreciate that you have to 'work your way' up to the top would it not be more realistic for teams such as Red Bull and Mclaren to be taking notice and thinking 'If he can do that in a Virgin what could he do in our car'. I now find myself wondering whether I would still have had these offers had I not won any races and simply pottered around at the back with Virgin.

GPGSL - Christel VXR team Boss S6-S8, S12 Onwards

Date: October 20, 2010 11:15PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I agree Silverstone is wrong, at that the Monaco tunnel is banked when it shouldn't be, and that the Parabolica exit feels like you're driving on speedbumps, but what is it about Melbourne and Hungary you find so wrong?

Melbourne is VERY similar to the GP4 version and its rFactor conversion. As for the Hungaroring, I hadn't noticed anything wrong with it...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 01:21AM by loque.
Date: October 21, 2010 01:00AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Agree with you loque, except for Silverstone I actually think the tracks are brilliant, absolutely brilliant mate :p

One thing that infact literally flipped my lid tonight though: touch some kerbs only slightly and you spin. MONZA!!! ALL of those kerbs get used by all f1 drivers, yet in the game we can't get near them!

BS
Date: October 21, 2010 01:21AM
I don't think they're brilliant, per se, but they are at least believable.

I'm just wondering what the hell I'm missing if Hungaroring is so bad when I can't really tell much difference between it and the older versions we've seen.

Yeah, the kerbs are proper @#$%&, I don't know how they've messed it up so badly. The physics which control the car spinning are also bad, you can't spin, for example, a 360 spin even in the rain, the physics just won't let you do it. The gravel also has a "sticky" feel which I hate.

Utter bollocks.
Date: October 21, 2010 05:34AM
Posted by: MysticalCrayon
the gravel is pretty hilarious. Its made out of some sort of crazy glue that instantly spins your car.
Date: October 21, 2010 09:14AM
Posted by: marcl
The curbs are a huge problem in this game you just have to stay off them :(. I lose so much time in spain at the end of the lap, silverstone, Monza but the worst in Monaco. After the harpin into the next right every F1 driver uses that curb, in the game touch it and you spin.
Date: October 22, 2010 07:28AM
Posted by: gav
Credit where credit is due. Having done a couple of laps last night, I'm just watching FP2 and Korea (the layout at least) looks accurate.
Date: October 22, 2010 09:29AM
Posted by: gav
One more thing I keep forgetting. I know it's an arcadey game, and many have been praising it, but I despise the presentation (the paddock system).

If you just want a quick race, it must take 2 minutes from loading the game and getting into the pit garage - and I've got an overclocked Core i7, 12GB RAM and a couple of 10,000rpm hard drives in RAID0... it would be excruciating on a more modest system.

Yes it's all very pretty, but to go back to the paddock I've got to load up a whole new 3D world just to do something else. Everything is a 2 stage process and it annoys the hell out of me every time.
Date: October 22, 2010 09:42AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I actually like the presentation. To me it beats nK Pro or iRacings presentation where you have to reload the entire @#$%& game each time. Or specifically iRacings members site which started off as something that was designed by a man who found yahoo.com sensational, and ended up being worked on by some man who has a hard on for web2.0 and spunked his creative juices all over it.

GPL and GP4 got menus correct.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 22, 2010 09:51AM
Mouse movement, why can't they just have mouse movement in a game? That'll make the nav so much easier, and in this game a feature used in the Sims 2/3 called edge scrolling would work perfectly. Also in Ashes Cricket 09 they didn't have mouse movement. And Colin McRae. Seems like a hobby of CodeMasters.
Date: October 22, 2010 02:02PM
Posted by: danm
I loved Grand Prix 3's menu system. That was perfect. But maybe I am just old and nostalgic, but it was what it was, and worked. Everything these days is web 2.0, chunky, bubble gum pop. A button should be a button. Not a bloody piece of artwork. Liked EA's offerings too.

Blergh.

Blergh.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 02:12PM by danm.
Date: October 22, 2010 02:18PM
Danm, that mod in the EA sports game above, is it for F1C99-02?

If yes, where do you get it?

In a way you are agreeing with me then? Because all of the top menus have one thing in common: a mouse pointer.
Date: October 22, 2010 03:12PM
Posted by: matt3454
I do like the menu system, but i don't understand why it takes so long to load.

I wish i could sack my agent also.

Date: October 22, 2010 05:05PM
Posted by: danm
The trouble with the menu in F1 2010 is the novelty has worn off. After two game loads, the wow factor went, and now I am over the fact it's 3D.

They should have spent their dev time elsewhere.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: October 22, 2010 08:09PM
Yup, I agree. The menu is awful. And you have to sit in your car in the garage EVERY time you do a quick race, then leave it. Annoying
Date: October 22, 2010 11:16PM
Posted by: Rams
Is anyone else getting an inconsistent top speed?
Date: October 23, 2010 01:11AM
No... ?

How exactly does one get that achievement for travelling at a certain speed?

I'm guessing 1 lap fuel and no downforce down the Barcelona pit straight?
Date: October 23, 2010 01:37AM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No... ?
>
> How exactly does one get that achievement for
> travelling at a certain speed?
>
> I'm guessing 1 lap fuel and no downforce down the
> Barcelona pit straight?

I got the achievement at Monza.
Date: October 23, 2010 09:38AM
Posted by: marcl
Take off all wing at Monza and dont brake for the 1st corner.
Date: October 23, 2010 12:06PM
Are these achievements for consoles only? I haven't seen them once in the whole month on my pc version.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy