> however, i've gone down the Sony route thus far,
> with the PS1 and PS2, and like the fact it has
> Blu-Ray built in, and the slimline is now
> available, and i'm a die hard Gran Turismo fan,
> along with Metal Gear Solid.
>
> which should i go for?
>
> (sorry, not read all 92 pages of this thread)

If you think you will play cooperative/online with your friends a lot I would take the 360 if not both are great platforms, so then the choice is what do you like better, games/controller/etc...
Re: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?
Date: May 12, 2010 10:34PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Both are very comparable in games. The multiplatform games are very similar, but when a game is developed first for PS3 and then converted for the 360, it all works far better. Many games on the PS3 are ports from the 360 and usually don't receive more attention to utilize the extra power the PS3 has, but I still prefer the PS3. Online play is also free and very good. The Playstation Store is rich and if you register another account on your system with a Jap address you can download/access Japanese exclusives. PSX games run fine in it, you just have to remember to create a virtual memory card for it (takes 2 clicks of a button, about 1s) so you can save progress before you start the game.

I had friends who were in the 360 before but eventually bought a PS3 and put their 360s away. The PS3 units have been far more reliable than the 360s, especially when you talk about Slim. It's also quite sexy ;). One final plus... you get to add me to your Friends List!
Date: May 14, 2010 09:07PM
Posted by: Muks_C
that seals the deal, i'm going for the 360! ;)

only joking.

so the original PS3 played PS2 games, but the slim doesn't? why did they do this? surely backwards compatability is just a software or firmware issue, the fact that it's a smaller physical unit shoulnd't be a reason to remove this function.

saying that, when i do get the new console, i would try to sell my PS2 anyway so wouldn't have any need to play the PS2 games. i've exhausted the PS2 games i do have pretty much to the maximum, so i'd probably only play the PS3 games.

and i'd be playing on a 40" or larger HD TV, so the Blu-Ray compatability would be most welcome. i've just bought a house and am in the process of decorating at the moment. then will come the furniture, then when i'm ready to move in i will buy the the TV. then after that will be the console (when i can afford it!).

i don't like Call of Duty and other shooter games, i mainly play driving and Metal Gear Solid-style games, so online play isn't a necessity, so being the black sheep amongst my 360-owning friends isn't really a problem, it just means we can't swap games.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 14, 2010 09:17PM
Muks, you don't need as much furniture as you think ;).

The PS3 used to have hardware to play PS2, which explains size and price. 80GB did software emulation, but not to same quality as 20/60GB models. 120/250GB came out as Slim, smaller in size and with lesser price due to less hardware and costs from that. Slim does have better ventilation which eliminates some issues people had in the 1st generation as it was a massive thing and most people keep it in cabinets without proper air circulation.

Honestly you can't go wrong with the PS3, the one thing I miss regarding the PS3 library to the 360 is a snowboard game called Amped, that's it. Also as I said before, many companies don't worry about taking advantage of the extra power the PS3 has as well as extra room in each disc (basically any EA game). But when they do use the PS3 you really get some beauties that the 360 cannot touch graphic/soundwise. The only series I'd really care about having is Zelda, which is Nintendo. I have a GameCube but refuse to get a Wii, but still I am mighty ok with that.
Date: May 18, 2010 04:03PM
Has anyone played 3D Dot Game Heroes? I am very much on the fence here, been close to buying it a few times
Date: May 19, 2010 06:11PM
Looking at the latest GT5 videos without aids and Pro driving level I am actually very inclined to give it a shot :o

Edit: Here's the video, taken from the little booth setup at the 24Hr Nürburgring race, so the latest demo build.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2010 05:54PM by Guimengo.
Date: June 16, 2010 03:30AM
So, Muks, GT5 will have not only the Top Gear test track but Stiggy as well! They also seem to have Red Bull's F1 car in it according to the video that showed Vettel and Newey.

Date: June 16, 2010 04:19AM
Posted by: NeoLiot
that's what i'm waiting for to get a PS3..,

-------------------------------------------
Date: June 16, 2010 04:21AM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
That trailer is amazing, as is the day/night transition, the only thing missing is variable weather, day 1 for me (H).
Date: June 17, 2010 01:10AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Hey, not sure if you lot have seen but the 360 has had a new redesign

[www.xbox.com]

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: June 17, 2010 02:06AM
Yup, it's their slim version. It now has wi-fi, a 250GB HD, but the discs scratch very if you move the console while it's reading it! All regular XBox 360s had a $50 price reduction here in the US.
Date: August 21, 2010 10:44PM
Posted by: msater
Hey guys!
I'm considering getting a PS3. What is the PSN network like compared to the 360's? This is the only thing I'm nothered about, as I've heard XBox Live is a lot better? Is that true?
Also what are the advatages/disadvantages of a PS3?

Thanks!

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: August 23, 2010 07:34AM
PSN is free. Online gaming for free. The PSN store has some cool stuff, some free backgrounds and themes (you can import your own pictures for backgrounds too). The one difference I noticed from Live to PSN is that some demos seem to come out on Live some 5 to 7 days before they come to the PS Store. Another Live advantage I know of is that it automatically downloads firmware updates in the background, only prompting you for installation or maybe not even that anymore (it's been a few months since I played my friend's 360).

Playstation Plus is a whole different service and isn't comparable to Live, only comparable bit is that it is a paid service (which gives you some free PSN games for as long as you're a member or PSN+, gives you discounts on some DLC or add-ons - downloaded purchases stay with you even after stopping subscription - and early-beta access and 1-hour free game trials aren't fully developed yet).
Date: August 23, 2010 07:53AM
What is Playstation Plus? What does it do differently from PSN?

Date: August 23, 2010 11:12AM
Posted by: LS.
Started racing online with Grid, F1 06 and Dirt 2 with my mate in a closed enviroment and its brilliant fun, went online last night on my own and chose some of the open races and it basically is full of wreckers

Not fun at all, whats the point in trying to race when some idiot just wants to shunt you off on purpose?

pricks!

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: August 23, 2010 12:37PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Not fun at all, whats the point in trying to race when some idiot just wants to shunt you off on purpose?

I got a 1 month free trial for XBL, and that was my conclusion. People are basically paying to get abused by 13 year old pricks who shout at you, wreck you, and just generally make the game unplayable. GTA4 has an online mode. Well. Kinda. It's a complete mess and feels like it was never tested, but for the point of this discussion we'll pretend it works. Anyway I was doing one of the races on it and out of the 16 starters, 8 quit on the first lap, 4 decided to drive backwards and aim for others, and the other 3 just crashed into you if you ever got near them. What exactly is the point of playing this?

Unregulated mess that you pay for? Pass!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 23, 2010 05:11PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not fun at all, whats the point in trying to race
> when some idiot just wants to shunt you off on
> purpose?
>
> I got a 1 month free trial for XBL, and that was
> my conclusion. People are basically paying to get
> abused by 13 year old pricks who shout at you,
> wreck you, and just generally make the game
> unplayable. GTA4 has an online mode. Well. Kinda.
> It's a complete mess and feels like it was never
> tested, but for the point of this discussion we'll
> pretend it works. Anyway I was doing one of the
> races on it and out of the 16 starters, 8 quit on
> the first lap, 4 decided to drive backwards and
> aim for others, and the other 3 just crashed into
> you if you ever got near them. What exactly is the
> point of playing this?
>
> Unregulated mess that you pay for? Pass!

Well, I'm not getting XBL then lol

Date: August 23, 2010 09:27PM
msater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is Playstation Plus? What does it do
> differently from PSN?

PlayStation Plus is an idea from Sony to capitalize a bit on people willing to subscribe to the console online service, except that for the PS3 you don't have to pay to play online. PSN+ is an idea of added value by Sony to try and lure people into paying more money for certain benefits like I listed above. Live isn't that, you don't get free Live Arcade game downloads from it nor themes or discount on DLC.

In my point of view I much prefer PSN, the extra bits you can do with Live are for example Cross Game Chatting. I honestly would never use such, if anything I text my friend or send a message via PS3 inviting to join my party in Uncharted 2 (as an example) and we chat from that party. There is no gain for me to be playing Valkyria Chronicles and talking to my friend who's playing Call of Duty, if anything it's distracting and disturbing the game experience. That doesn't apply to same-game party because then you experience the same things as your friend, such as an explosion sound you know where it's coming from and can talk to each other, while if playing alone you could miss it.
Date: August 23, 2010 10:39PM
Posted by: Pluis
Only the themes you´re right about, but when you have xbox live gold,
you do get sometimes discounts on DLC and sometimes you can download a arcade game for free.

I like Live better, servers are still better, but PSN isn´t bad either, I think it´s a matter of taste

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2010 10:40PM by Pluis.
Date: November 30, 2010 02:53PM
Posted by: NeoLiot
so... after 2 years with a xbox i'm giving myself a PS3 for christmas...

Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet, Uncharted and God of War are all in my list... there's any other ps3 exclusive i should buy in the next months?

-------------------------------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy