-------------------------------------------------------
> GTR, GT Legends, GTR2, and all other ISI based
> games allowed 4 (iirc) people to use a single CD
> Key. rFactor allows 4 on its activation key,
> obviously since it has no CD key. NR2003 was the
> same, as was Half Life and Counter Strike. And
> this doesn't take into account what Daniel has
> posted.

Ah right fair enough, I always thought that GTR GTLegends etc only allowed one :) Nowadays Half Life and Counterstrike are intergrated into Valve though so thats gone... What Daniel says isn't completly correct, yes you can change your name in Valve, but they still have a stat system just like Xbox Live, so again like Xbox Live it ain't really your own stats like he said. Newer games do in fact have a sign up page for Online like World In Conflict and Company of Heroes, with the Key only been allowed to be used once, its the new measure to tackle piracy

> But it doesn't work like that. Have you read the
> user agreement for the XBL account? You can't
> legally let anyone use it. And even if you did, it
> isn't designed for it and doesn't know who is who
> and track stats regardless - completely defeating
> the point in having a pay system anyway!

Nah never read it myself... fair enough didn't know that, but still its like all those old laws, like recording off the radio with a cassete, or recording off TV with a VCR/DVD Recorder, Technically it is illegal but no one in their right mind would enforce it. Also most people pay to play online, not so they can just get a few extra points for achievements, if they were cash strapped enough that they couldn't afford 2 Xbox Live accounts I doubt they would care much about achievements! They would just want to play online...

> All of this is trivial anyway, as I still haven't
> seen a legitimate reason for paying for the
> service. PC Gaming has been free for years, PS3 is
> free, Wii is free. You pay for the hardware. You
> pay for the software. You pay your ISP. Then you
> pay more to Microsoft for a service that everyone
> else gives you for free - and then you put up with
> the horrendous user base and Microsofts inability
> to police the system they charge you money for!

> Which is of course another point. If you pay for a
> service you have the right to demand a certain
> quality to the service. Being abused verbally,
> being unable to participate in gaming without
> wreckers and idiots ruining it, and having to
> trawl through the racism and discrimination to me
> doesn't signify a quality service.

Agreed, Xbox Live is just full of annoying idiots and its the reason why I'm considering not renewing my Xbox Live when its expired, there are the odd fun game to play online like COD4, but for the majority its just overshadowed by pricks, only reason I've got it atm is to play Co-Op with friends really, and that ain't very often. I could easily collect 48 hour codes and live off them. PS3's system still isn't very good and won't be at least until the Home system is launched, Konami's also managed to make MGS4's system annoying, why they couldn't just get the details from the PSN account is beyond me. Dunno about Wii's system, never tried it but I don't remember many games supporting online play.

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Re: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?
Date: June 22, 2008 11:47PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Quick thing on recording from TV or radio, I believe you can but in no shape, way or form may reproduce it. Using it commercially is unlawful, personal use I do believe you're not at fault
Date: June 23, 2008 09:45AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Guimengo Wrote:
> Quick thing on recording from TV or radio, I
> believe you can but in no shape, way or form may
> reproduce it. Using it commercially is unlawful,
> personal use I do believe you're not at fault

Nowadays yeah thats right, they changed the law, but it didn't used to be ;) If they didn't change the law then none of these PVR's with DVB-T tuners or TiVo's or Sky+ boxes would be legal.

Date: June 24, 2008 02:14AM
Posted by: Guimengo
If it wasn't for DVR (tivo) I'd not be able to watch tv, I set it all to record my stuff and watch when I can :P
Date: June 25, 2008 09:36AM
Posted by: SexySam182
So I got GTA the other day now I finished my exams. And its really good, theres not much I can say about it thats not been said.

Except I have found the online play a bit of a letdown, there doesnt seem to be many players, people contantly quit and everytime I try to play in a deathmatch the game doesnt load :s

Its just a shame because I was really looking forward to the online play and it was hyped up a lot.

Date: June 25, 2008 02:03PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
GTA4 online was never tested properly online, and as a result is extremely buggy.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 15, 2008 12:15PM
Microsoft have just announced some new features for the 360 coming out soon -

Here is a look at some additional features you will find interesting:

* Play from hard drive. Copy your games from the game disc and play directly from the hard drive. Not only will the drive not spin, but load times are quicker, as well. Of course, you will still need the disc in the tray to prove you own the game.

* Access Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the Web. Browse and purchase Marketplace content whenever you want from Xbox.com and it downloads automatically to your console. Purchase that new map, television episode, the latest Xbox LIVE Arcade game or set up a movie to watch when you get home from work.

* Dashboard built into the new Xbox Guide. For everyone who loves the blades interface, it’s not going away; they are now built directly in to the new Xbox guide. Every feature and option is available right from the guide. You can even access your full games library at all times. No matter where you are (in dash or in game), immediately call up your games played list and directly launch a game.

* LIVE Party system. Create a party of up to eight friends, and stay with them from one game to another, or watch a Netflix movie together, or share a slideshow of your personal photos. It works with all Xbox 360 titles, not just upcoming games. LIVE Party allows up to eight people to chat in the dashboard, so you can meet up before playing.

* Xbox LIVE Primetime. This whole new category of games is going to give you more reasons to get online with your friends. Games will support everything you’d expect, like Achievements and leader boards, but many of these games will include real prizes. You can invite your friends, and even set a reminder for an upcoming show. Each game is broadcast simultaneously, so everyone is answering the same questions. Many events will have a live host, calling the shots as they happen.

* Avatars. Your online identity started as a Gamertag - it then grew into a personalized Gamercard. Now, it has evolved even further into avatars. You can express your style, check out new outfits and share this with the community. Avatars will also be integrated into Xbox LIVE Arcade games, LIVE Party, as well as retail games.

* New display support. Because you asked for it, we are adding 16X10 over VGA or HDMI, and support for 1440x900 or 1680x1050.

[gamerscoreblog.com]

TBH I prefer that Hard Drive system from PS3's, at least this time you have the choice of wether you want to install a game to the hard drive or not, unlike the PS3's of got to install or nothing. See why they announced that new 60GB hard drive too, as one game ripped to the hard drive will take up about 60% of the 20GB version's hard drive space!

Also that 16x10 Support is long overdue, but still pretty cool :)

Date: July 16, 2008 11:18AM
[www.gametrailers.com]#

Preview of the up and coming updates for Xbox Live, even though its a bit obvious that they've blatently ripped off Nintendo's Mii system ;)

Date: July 16, 2008 11:34AM
"We have introduced the concept of avatars".

Bullsh*t. You didn't introduced the concept of anything. Nintendo introduced the concept of having a little cartoon "you" as your players. The description of the Mii...sorry, "avatar" is annoying too. Saying it will be a playable character in many new Arcade, and even some regular titles. What, like a Mii?

This is just like when Sony scambled for motion controls and promptly screwed up SixAxis. And now we have Microsoft testing motion controls too.

Am I the only one who is tired of the lack of innovation of this lot? The only company which has actually tried something new is Nintendo. To Microsoft and Sony, innovation just means more processing power for graphics. When was the last time either of these guys made a big jump? Stop copying Nintendo just because they come up with cool ideas. Think up something for yourself. Actually, don't, because it'll just end up with a more powerful energy sucking console to produce the next generation of graphics whores.

Now, positive things. Microsoft has realised that not every 360 owner is a 15 year old virgin who wanks over photoshop brush effects and had given us a decent UI. The 360 "Blade" UI is a complete mess. There are buttons everywhere, and several repeated buttons. I got lost many times when I got my 360 because it was such a mess of stuff. Throw over some graphics made by someone who couldn't stop playing with photoshops drop down menus and you have a UI worthy of any geocities hosted website.

The Wii interface works because it is clean. Smooth lines, desaturated colours and easy to understand buttons. Finally Microsoft has realised that this is the way to go and has given us a decent UI system. I look forward to being able to browse the UI without having to stab myself in the eyes to releave the pain.

Now give us an online system that is free, works, and hides all the morons from view (and ear shot) and I'll be all over that.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 16, 2008 12:18PM
I highly doubt they'd give a free online system for this generation, maybe the next but not the 360, I mean they've got millions of customers who are willing to pay for it, take out that profit from them and no amount of new customers will manage to cover it, even if they are starting to make a profit on consoles sold now and manage to get more people interested.

Am I the only one who is tired of the lack of innovation of this lot? The only company which has actually tried something new is Nintendo. To Microsoft and Sony, innovation just means more processing power for graphics. When was the last time either of these guys made a big jump? Stop copying Nintendo just because they come up with cool ideas. Think up something for yourself. Actually, don't, because it'll just end up with a more powerful energy sucking console to produce the next generation of graphics whores.

I agree with you, but unfortunatly the industry is in such a way that they don't want to take risks, and want to stick with what makes money atm, speeding up consoles and having better graphics... Nintendo were brave enough to take the risk and it payed off big time for them, as HD still hasn't really taken off for most people, and now Sony & Microsoft are following their path with what works. The Wii really was a fork in the road for Nintendo, if it hadn't had worked then imo I wouldn't have been surprised if Nintendo had ended up like Sega.

Date: July 16, 2008 12:30PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
It's sad cos no 3rd party companies seem willing to make proper wii games for it either :( With the very small exception of things like maybe I think ratchet and clank is a game made especially for wii? It just seems they are all crappy ps2 ports with motion controls clawed into them. The sad thing is, the wii can actually do good graphics if they bother to look at how to use it too. Even the gamecube could if you look at that rogue leader game that was one of the first games released on the gc and still has good graphics now really.

So 3rd party companies aren't really playing to any of the wii good points and just infact giving it rehashed, garbled, cut down content from other consoles. It's a shame.

H E L L O
Date: July 16, 2008 12:56PM
Posted by: Covfan
Nintendo don't really care anymore, they could sell Max Mosley's Whipping delight for the Wii and people would buy it. Wii Music looks awful, but will unsurprisingly sell by the bucketload.
Date: July 16, 2008 01:10PM
Blaming Nintendo for having a bad games catalogue is like blaming Microsoft because the online userbase are all 12 year old racist pricks.

The Wii games catalogue is weak because games developers looked at the specifications in advance and decided not to develope for it, and some even called the Wii rubbish and a failure from the start. EA are back tracking and have a Wii development team currently, and I expect others to follow.

However given the constant updates, ports and features being added to the Wii system, to suggest they "don't care any more" is silly.

And in all honest, there are very few games now days for any of the consoles that can hardly be called good. The signature ones such as Halo and Gran Turmismo are some of the blandest, most over rated games in the history of gaming. Others such as the Orange Box are worse on consoles, and games like COD4 work better on the PC.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 16, 2008 01:25PM
I'm not blaming Nintendo for having poor games. I'm blaming them for having a poor E3 conference.
Date: July 16, 2008 01:27PM
By that logic, Bungie are the worst company in the world. There E3 announcement was "We were going to tell you about a new game...but we won't. Bye".

E3 does not undo the actual development of the consoles.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 16, 2008 01:36PM
I didn't say it did, I'm having a go at Nintendo's presentation which just smacked of "We're leading so we don't have to make any fecking effort" I mean ffs, one of their main games they showed was a Call of Duty Wii game!

Even though I'm having a go at Nintendo, none of the others were any better. Microsoft were just poor and Sony were as well. Although they showed Little Big Planet, so I forgive them for it.
Date: July 16, 2008 01:49PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Blaming Nintendo for having a bad games catalogue
> is like blaming Microsoft because the online
> userbase are all 12 year old racist pricks.

Well technically you can, because Microsoft should police their servers and Chat better ;) But I must admit the problem dosn't seem as bad these days, was playing Battlefield: Bad Company and that dosn't seem to have that many idiots these days...

> And in all honest, there are very few games now days
> for any of the consoles that can hardly be called
> good.

To be honest thats probably more thanks to the Xbox 360's coding been similar to the PC, making it easier to make a PC version and because now the 360 is 3 years behind the PC they can make it even better. Hence with GTA4 been made for the 360, I don't think it'll be that long till they have a PC version. So as a result theres alot less 360 games not been ported over to the PC. However if you look at the PS3, Sony want to keep it all for themselfs and virtually all their exlusives don't see the light of day on the PC (Even though tbh most of their exlusive games have been a big let down recently, bar Everybody's Golf ;))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2008 01:51PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: July 16, 2008 02:07PM
Well technically you can, because Microsoft should police their servers and Chat better ;) But I must admit the problem dosn't seem as bad these days, was playing Battlefield: Bad Company and that dosn't seem to have that many idiots these days...

Policing the real time chat is impossible. What can you do? Have someone in every server?

But then again, if I'm paying for a service, then I expect quality.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 16, 2008 02:28PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Policing the real time chat is impossible. What
> can you do? Have someone in every server?
>
> But then again, if I'm paying for a service, then
> I expect quality.

Of course not, but when these people keep reappearing on different servers on different days without been banned, questions start to be asked ;)

Date: August 11, 2008 09:18AM
Posted by: IWE
Anyone else in here have wierd problem with ps3? After updating to 2.41 my connection have been extremely bad. It keeps breaking down all the time, so I cannot get the latest update or download pretty much anything. I havent moved ps3 or the modem or any electronic devices around here so atleast this cannot be the reason. :S

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy