*****GP4 Track editing - The new thread*****

Posted by Forgotten-Boy 
Re: *****GP4 Track editing - The new thread*****
Date: July 05, 2005 12:25AM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
what happens when the cars cross over? They just crash?
Date: July 05, 2005 12:47AM
Posted by: Paco
i was wondering the same thing when i saw it...

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 05, 2005 12:55AM
Posted by: <Maverick>
ccline isn't developed up to that point, so nobody knows actually, my best guess atm is that th cars will drive through eachother without damaging eachother. As gp4 sees car 1 at sector 26 car 2 at sector 183 -> no contact. But im only 80% sure :)

Date: July 05, 2005 01:47AM
guys, anyone know what could be causing this?

the car is about to drive through the new sector, but suddenly the cam angle changes, and then it goes back to normal before taking back the old layout...

i haven't changed my camera settings, it's just t-cam, and i don't know what the problem is...

from tv-cam, the cars run smoothly through this new section, and i don't know if it's relevant or not, but i have computed track and cc-cars pitch and cc-cars direction.

(sorry if they are very small shots, but i didn't want to post huge ones just to show you the camera angle)

I'm against sigpics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2005 01:50AM by Paco.
Date: July 05, 2005 07:20AM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
what do i need to drive the layout in game? do i have to have the pit sectors done? thats the only part im struggling with at the moment and i really wanna drive my layout.
Date: July 05, 2005 07:50AM
i can't really tell you, as i haven't started from scratch, but i guess you need the pitlane done, cause there are flags you have to put there, and you can't run a track with missing flags.

I'm against sigpics
Darkone55 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi there!
>
> Let's introduce myself this is my 2nd post at this
> forum.
> I'm Darkone55 as you can see, I'm from Holland,
> and I've been looking here for a long time, and
> now I have registered myself.
>
> Here's a preview of the track I'm working on:
>
> Real:
>
>
>
> Mine:
>
>
>

Then yo must make the helmet of the stig too :p
> Anyone recognises it?

Date: July 05, 2005 09:34AM
paco THis is because you havent editted the Col file yet. :) if you generate a new col file this will go away.

Date: July 05, 2005 09:45AM
i'll give it a try then...

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 05, 2005 09:58AM
just like you said, it's working perfectly now :)

timo to go on with my to do list, but first, i have to sleep, almost 5 a.m. here :p

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 05, 2005 01:15PM
Posted by: vesuvius
shutt1e Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and don't forget shanghai. i'll publish some
> screenshots when the new 3de will appear, now i
> have too many undesidered objects in the gp4
> file.
>

waiting screenshots ;)
Date: July 05, 2005 01:49PM
Posted by: Lo2k
I forgot to tell you that I noticed an interesting thing about .bin files.
If you delete the scene in Monza having all trackXX objects and then try in game, you will notice that .bin ending sectors are disappearing like with customized .bin files.
So I do believe that some .gp4 objects are needed as "support" for .bin display.
It would need further experimentations...

Date: July 05, 2005 05:25PM
Posted by: shutt1e
Laurent, i have splitted manually all the tarmac and verge sections at equal lenght as in the .bin (my old idea :) ) file for the shanghai track. The bin disappear has gone. just i need to have all the track sections with proper name and attributes.
the tarmac objects in .gp4 file are needed and must have the "none" class and named as TRACKXX, if some of the tarmac sections are missing (or present but named differently) the game crash somewhere.
The verge sections seems not critical but using bad class or bad names cause disapeearing of some objects at the side of the track (stands and crowds)
so better if verge sections are in the TRACK class and named as vergexx (dunno if the case is important,but i've used the same as in the original tracks)
the unk values are important when the object has the proper class and name. i still miss its meanings but for shanghai track and verge section i've used 64,8191,0,-8.
Flags objects can be removed without crashing the game as well as all REFLECT and REQUIRED class. we need to find a solution for the flash, i have a bunch of flashes in the middle of nothing :P
i still have to try the new dat features (pitch and cc-line) but it seem this version rocks.

wtf you said the save of the .gp4 was slower with the new version? it save the file at the speed of the previous version :)

Date: July 05, 2005 05:55PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Great : these are good news, Shutt1e.
With all that stuff, I was really afraid many things will fail in real track-editing action...

If slicing is really the solution, then I will slice track at export in a next version.
Most of objects could be deleted but some objects are really required (you can't delete first Monza sceen without crashing the game).

I didn't mentioned it in the doc (and I should) but deleting objects absolutely does not work with Imola. I do believe this has something to do with the fact that's the only track with object lods and thus this track could have a special format slightly different than others.

Yep, first versions with new .gp4 internal code were very slow at loading tracks or even huge objects as generated .gp4 track from .dat.
I hopefully found the jam one of the latest days before the release date so times are now close to the past version one.
But many areas have not been sped up and I remind saving object is not sped up yet. It could wait next version anyway hopefully :)

Date: July 06, 2005 03:06PM
few things laurent.
I did some deleting, the memoryleak discussed earlier, it's defenitly there, i had 320mb used for 3deditor with an untextured track open.
I did this deleting to test the theory of slicing, i deleted all the trackxx objects, and used the original bin file, i couldn't see the bin, cause i was driving higher, but i had no crashes whatsoever, thats not what i hoped to find, i'll test another track later today.
Compliments on the userguide, and some new features i found in it :)

Date: July 06, 2005 03:09PM
Posted by: vesuvius
I deleted few objects from new france and it worked very well ingame :)
Date: July 06, 2005 03:19PM
woei, i took suzuka, everything original, deleted the trackxx parts and look what happend:

Same problem i've had 1000times with bahrain
Seems to me slicing as a solution is very plausible :) Lets hope it's finaly solved :)

Date: July 06, 2005 04:33PM
ok, track height now sorted, next tasks, adjust banking, add kerbs, and start with the first corner :P

you won't see too much from here, but for those who like watching screenies (like me)...

I'm against sigpics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2005 04:49PM by Paco.
that's a bit of an odd line through those couple of corners ;)
Date: July 06, 2005 05:23PM
do you mean the cc-line or what?

I'm against sigpics
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy