*****GP4 Track editing*****

Posted by Eugenio Faria 
Re: *****GP4 Track editing*****
Date: February 16, 2005 12:42PM
Posted by: kimirgj
berger fan, that must be an older map because it isn't like that, when you come out of the hairpin the next corner isnt as sharp as that, but mario the last part of the last bit of the new section does need a change as the turn isnt as smooth as it is in that picture, also in that map it doesnt have the change in turn one.

but good work :D

p.s. i'll will upload an onboard lap round hockenheimring, whcih will give a good idea of turn one and the new section
Date: February 16, 2005 01:03PM
here is that lap

i hope that you find this useful mario

[s26.yousendit.com]

enjoy :D :D

Date: February 16, 2005 09:26PM
just curious, is anyone trying to do bahrain or shanghai??? :D :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2005 09:32PM by kimirgj.
Date: February 18, 2005 09:57PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Here is a new preview from current WIP 3DEditor version :)

This time I made a quick animation for better comparison.
I think it's obvious I changes some things :)
First Pitlane verges and banks are now displayed, as are displayed Track verges that were not correct in 11.7 version.
Second CC-Line is now a ribbon having about the width of a car (1.90m).
.dat wireframe has been enhanced, not only by changing its color to grey but also to display clearer lines without anti-aliasing (with, as in that animation, lines are quite as clear).

Anyway and whatever my 2 day tests on cc-line, I wasn't able to improve its precision or predictibility : /

A last word to say I will go in hollidays for 2 weeks from the 21st, so don't be surprised if my answers are even longer to come back ;)

Date: February 18, 2005 10:04PM
Posted by: b-tone
Second CC-Line is now a ribbon having about the width of a car (1.90m).

sounds nice ;-)

A last word to say I will go in hollidays for 2 weeks from the 21st, so don't be surprised if my answers are even longer to come back

happy holidays - perhaps we need a sticky with your return date ;)

____
Tony

Date: February 19, 2005 12:09AM
Posted by: Xero
That looks much better! Very distinctive.

Before you go on holiday... do you know of any limitations when importing objects into the .gp4 file? I've been importing objects into Barcelona, and the game crashes whenever I get to an ID of 2433. Is there a known parts/faces/vertices limit?

Edit: I tried an experiment by merging all the objects together and tried to import them as a single object and it still crashed, so I guess it's nothing to do with the part ID. It must be a faces or vertices problem.

@Erwin: you may be able to help... did you have this problem when making your Barcelona update? It's very detailed, and thought you may have pushed it to the limit!?

Edit 2: OK, im pretty sure it's a faces/vertices limit. I just threw the merged object into Ricardo Lampert's 2003 update and it worked fine. I'm guessing the 2004 update was pushing it with the new stand and pit muppets and all that...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2005 01:00AM by Xero.
Date: February 19, 2005 01:12AM
OMG... im an idiot! Guess what I just deleted by mistake!? :(

I still have the merged verge object of the new la caixa, so just need to do the track itself... still going to take ages... AARRGHHH!!!

Edit: Bah, I lost the .dat! :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2005 01:13AM by Xero.
Date: February 19, 2005 10:17AM
Madman told once about a limit for each scene and Erwin if I remind well also got troubles importing a very high detail object but the .dat file itself has no limitation so if there's one, it comes from GP4 itself.

For your lost file, you should look for a tool named "Drive Rescue". It can recover deleted files even if you cleaned your trash.

Date: February 19, 2005 02:19PM
Posted by: erwin_78
i only know that my gp4 sometims is incorrupt on importing objects, but i don't think that come from a vertici limit. I had the problem with barcalona and already with monaco. But i added many things to Melbourne and Sepang and had no problems, while sepang already is a big detailed track.

@Laurent, a car is 1.8m wide. They shrink from 2.00m to 1.80m some years ago...
Date: February 19, 2005 02:35PM
Hmm, yes, sorry, I told 1.90 but in fact I used 1.80 (2*0.9 based on TeamEditor Car size)

Date: February 19, 2005 03:09PM
Posted by: <Maverick>
looks nice lo2k, 2 weeks heh? i think i'll have a pretty nice list for you to look forward to for your return :+

Date: February 19, 2005 03:42PM
I remade the gp4 last night with no problems. Im almost certain the limit was reached on the .gp4 I was using. No such drama on the 2003 update.

I also dedid the .dat, this time using add/delete sectors unlike last time where I compressed. I'm guessing theres something wrong with this feature as alot of things messed up. The cars garage and starting grid positions where shifted onto the track itself and facing the opposite way. There was strange markings on the track surface... looked rather like the racing line rubber all messed up on the grid.

Whats more, the cc cars upon starting a race would crash into the surrounding barriers, and then after a period of time, would warp to the new sectors I created! Even if they survived the warp, they ended up just sitting at the new corner. I could drive the circuit with no problem though... very strange. Im guessing there's and index/order of some sort your missing, and it's picking up the new sectors as the "next" ones off the start.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2005 03:45PM by Xero.
Date: February 19, 2005 03:54PM
I also dedid the .dat, this time using add/delete sectors unlike last time where I compressed. I'm guessing theres something wrong with this feature as alot of things messed up. The cars garage and starting grid positions where shifted onto the track itself and facing the opposite way. There was strange markings on the track surface... looked rather like the racing line rubber all messed up on the grid.
yes, i allways have this with "new" tracks, it seems to be worse when i'm being sloppy, i thinks it's due to the cc direction, if you screw it up somewhere, the grid is screwed up too, but v12 will problably fix this.

Date: February 19, 2005 07:38PM
Guys, never delete first track sector !
Hadn't you seen it stores many much commands than the others ?
Its the master sector, if you delete it, I can't warranty anything.
Jip mapping are also defined by some sectors (and most of the time, not by sector you will thought about), so adding or deleting sectors anywhere could also offset jip mapping or even delete some.

A .dat file is not hmm...a chessboard, you can't remove a piece and play another move without any drawbacks than having one piece left.
.dat files are made of sectors, and sectors have great power on itself but also often on many sectors after him (kerbs definition, pitlane entry, whole line jip mapping).
So be carefull... :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2005 07:39PM by Lo2k.
Date: February 20, 2005 02:03AM
Posted by: erwin_78
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guys, never delete first track sector !
> Hadn't you seen it stores many much commands than
> the others ?
> Its the master sector, if you delete it, I can't
> warranty anything.

yes, you can. Automagic shift all commands to the new first sector...don't overwrite the existing ones.

> Jip mapping are also defined by some sectors (and
> most of the time, not by sector you will thought
> about), so adding or deleting sectors anywhere
> could also offset jip mapping or even delete
> some.

i agree on this...no garentee ;)

Date: February 20, 2005 02:07AM
Guys, never delete first track sector

I didn't! I only deleted the sectors around the la caixa corner, and then filled it up with new ones!

I've also came across a problem with my old .dat, where the cars would start in the correct position in the garage, but would be tilted in extreme positions, causing them to slowly spin around they're centre, and explode out of it when starting a run.
Date: February 20, 2005 02:43AM
Lo2k: when selecting a face in a col file with "fix cam" OFF i allways seem to end up on the wrong side of the track, upside down, this gets quite anoying after a while, can you fix that?

Date: February 20, 2005 05:43AM
Posted by: Addicted On GPXSeries
@kimirgj: (or someone else)Could you please put the hockenheim lap video in another server or send it to me at aborc2000@yahoo.com.br.Please?Thanks in advance

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2005 05:14PM by Addicted On GPXSeries.
Date: February 20, 2005 11:13AM
@Xero: OK. About car positions they only rely at my known on track main properties, on 0x89 Pitlane command and magic data (as seen with CMagic). If you discovered another setting in .dat, it could be a good news...or maybe did you deleted the pitlane sector with the 0x89 command [rolleyes] :)

@Maverick: OK, I note it to remind it when I will come back from hollidays :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2005 11:18AM by Lo2k.
Date: February 20, 2005 12:39PM
Nah, didn't touch the pitlane sector. If you want to replicate the problem, try roughly doing the new la caixa like I did by deleting and adding sectors.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy