*****GP4 Track editing*****

Posted by Eugenio Faria 
Re: *****GP4 Track editing*****
Date: February 11, 2005 10:01PM
Posted by: f14ever
i've been keeping track of this post for a while now, and all i'm gonna say is kutgw cos i dont really understand most of the stuff you type about, so keep the screenies comming to ;) :)
Date: February 12, 2005 06:36PM
Posted by: kimirgj
MarioB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice link, Alesi_fan.
> Specialy this pic
> Do you want to now why i like this pic, check it
> out:
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Release date: 06-02-2015
>
> grtz
>
> Mark

how is this going mario??? :D :D

Date: February 12, 2005 08:46PM
Posted by: Alesi_fan
THIS IS HOW THE RACE IN AUSTRALIA

I thought that was how they race in the desert ;-)

U/

Date: February 12, 2005 09:42PM
LOL, I mean they race upside down :) :)
Date: February 12, 2005 11:54PM
Posted by: Korn_Freak

dude that pic is seriously fecking with my head :|

and anyway everyone else is upside down, not Australia! ;)

Date: February 13, 2005 07:47PM
Posted by: Lo2k
@Maverick: here are finally your answers :)

how do you get the -5 value?
I used -5 wich is a value that make the cc-line looks like what I experimented in game. I could have used -4 too as both values give close cc-line displays in 3DEditor.
Anyway the same "error" can be seen in 47th sector as well whatever the value.

where the hell does this shiftvalue comes from? Cause it's not set in the ccline, as in my own version i deleted the cc sections, and rebuild all by myself, so if i create a totaly new ccline, why would i need shiftvalue, does this mean that maybe this value is "computed" within the dat sectors? i mean, it's gotta be in there somewhere, like total sectors/bends=shiftangle, wich makes sure the ccline interacts with the dat.(just a stupid example, but you get that)
What are you speaking about by Shiftvalue ? Are you speaking about initial shiftangle or ShiftX values, or simply about each ccline section shift value ?
Initial sector can't be deleted and all shift values above are part of ccline section definitions so I can't really get what you're looking for in .dat track sectors.
Another idea might be you're speaking about difference between 3DEditor and ingame ccline that looks to be a shift value effectively.
Well, if that's it, I sincerely don't know yet but it is not necessary a hidden value but maybe simply little approximation errors all along the track given an overall shifted effect.

now when i put in -3, the cars whent right of the final straight..but.. this was exactly where the display of the ccline in 3deditor was. do you understadn what i mean?
also, are shiftX and shiftangle the same thing? as maybe they are both in every track, but you have them mixed up?

ShiftX and ShiftAngle are not both in a track, just because it's the same raw value but it seems it is used differently with straight initial section or curved one.
Yep, I understand what you mean in your Brazil tests but I really don't know yet how shiftX is used in game.

Been looking at brazil again, setting shiftangle to -3. cc's folowed the (too wide at the end) line, editted the line to follow the track, they took it perfectly, but only when i kepted shiftangle at -3, reseting it to default (0) makes the cars not folow it right, and they now follow a line wich lies between 2 and 3 (cant get more specific with this 3deditor version as you know) is it maybe possible that shiftangle is altered when the ccline is altered? So it should be an auto calculated value when you change the ccline?

At Brazil, With default shiftangle value, ingame ccline is perfect.
So if you change shiftangle to -3, ingame ccline will obviously be a bit offroad.
If now you fix the cc-line for -3 shiftangle to get a perfect ingame ccline and reset shiftangle value to 0, it's obvious ingame ccline will be wrong.
Of course, it could be auto calculated if I would know how to calculate it...

Date: February 13, 2005 08:04PM
Posted by: <Maverick>
Lo2k Wrote:
> What are you speaking about by Shiftvalue ? Are
> you speaking about initial shiftangle or ShiftX
> values, or simply about each ccline section shift
> value ?

What i mean is, what influences the shiftangle? Cause the shift angle of 2 circuits can be different, if i take the melbourne track, and redo every sector so it wil be EXACTLY like monza track, the shiftangle changed, cause, in basic al circuits were made form scratch and obtained a shiftangle in the progress, so there must be something i the circuit that influences the shiftangle, somewhere in the dat. for example, i have a track with six left and 2 right corners, it has a SA of 4 and if i remove a left corner the SA changes to 3. (silly example, i know)

whole brazil story
Well, i'm confused here, but what i noticed is (totlay different of previous things, i just dismiss those as i seemed to be wrong) that changing the SA changes the way the cars folow the ccline, but, when changing it you kinda see they do exactly what shiftangle tells the, but then exaggerate the value, as it looks to me they understand the value, but the value is not the correct one, so what you MAYBE can try is, take a track with a value for SA and look what it should be with you calculations making it line up, and see how you got there. maybe it can be aplied to other tracks. maybe i'm just totaly wrong here, but it seems you are using the SA right, but just not interpreting the value correct, as you read out 4 where it should be something else.

Hope i helped here, maybe i've just put down some nonesense, in that case please tell me :+

Date: February 13, 2005 09:22PM
Posted by: MarioB
kimirgj Wrote

how is this going mario??? :D :D

Track lay-out is ready. I have build a cc-line but it's only working until the chicane. But for now i am trying to finish Monaco first! After Monaco i will continue with Hockenheim or mayby another track.

Grtz

Mark
Date: February 13, 2005 09:27PM
Yep, I understand both "storys".
First relies on those approximations all over the tracks I spoke in my last post that could also be more localized (for example only in curves or only for section having a non zero shift value, etc...).

In second, you could be right and maybe I don't use shiftangle at its right scale. This need more tests to be checked and fine tuned to correct value.

Date: February 13, 2005 09:44PM
Posted by: erwin_78
Lo2k Wrote:
> R1 is one of the two raw values used to set
> Radius.
> Has many other measures, GP4 uses two values to
> set a measure.
>
> So relation formula is:
> Curve1 Radius (in mm) = R1*65535+R2
> Curve2 Radius (in mm) = R3*65535+R4
>
65535 = 0xFFFF (hex) , maximum value for a 2 bytes.
I can't believe that is a functional formula...
Date: February 13, 2005 10:25PM
Most values (all coordinates and rotational angles) are anyhow decomposed this way : a main value and a refined one 65535 times smaller than the main one.

Nice Job MarioB, you posted just during I was replying Maverick :)

Date: February 14, 2005 10:55AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
@ mariob maybe after hockenheim you can do shanghai becouse your tracks looks all great

Date: February 14, 2005 11:47AM
that would be wicked if someone was to shanghai.

hockenheimring is looking really good mario, cant wait for it and monaco :D :D

Date: February 14, 2005 03:53PM
Posted by: vesuvius
@ Xero

Any news about Barcelona ? or Nurburgring ?

Great job MarioB!!!
Date: February 14, 2005 06:31PM
Posted by: Xero
Nurburgring is coming along well... I have went over it several times now because im not happy with the track elevations.

Been having ccline problems with barcelona... I think remaking the dat would be good idea. I've had problems importing objects into 3DEditor too... I imported 2 track verge objects easily with no problems, now when I try to import another the game locks up! I don't think there's a limit to the amount of objects a .gp4 can hold, is there?
Date: February 14, 2005 06:53PM
Posted by: smorr
for the shape gp4 files there is a limit, i think it is like 100000 or something like that.

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: February 15, 2005 05:38AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Just coming by again to say you all are really, really doing some impressive work :).

That Hockenhein shot is tasty, MarioB ;-). You guys rock :)
Date: February 15, 2005 08:15PM
Posted by: Briere
@ Mariob : I hope you didnt forget the changes in turn 1 ;-)
Date: February 16, 2005 01:06AM
Posted by: fisico04
yeah. alot of games miss the change in turn 1, which is annoying
Date: February 16, 2005 12:01PM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
Also, the section after the main hairpin needs re-aligning. :)

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy