*****GP4 Track editing*****

Posted by Eugenio Faria 
Re: *****GP4 Track editing*****
Date: March 06, 2005 09:59PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Well, no good news as holidays means: no computer :p
Snap feature could maybe be add but is not very high in my todo feature list.

About your team car orientation, Maverick, I would guess you changed Track Slope in track properties. It's the only reason I know...

And for your little list, you can send it to me by the usual ways :p

Date: March 06, 2005 10:07PM
Posted by: <Maverick>
usual ways? i never send you anything :+ or do yopu mean my alterego should use his habits? ;-)

Date: March 07, 2005 10:56AM
yep, your alterego could do the trick :p

Anyway, my mail adress is in each of my tools 'gp4form.txt file and on my forum that your alterego has the habit to frequent :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2005 11:01AM by Lo2k.
Date: March 07, 2005 12:40PM
mail? Hm, i'll use that for a change ;-) btw, no problem in just posting it here? I could aswell do that then... mailed it for now.

[edit] oh btw, found two different adresses? @ifrance, and @free, used the last one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2005 12:52PM by <Maverick>.
Date: March 07, 2005 01:31PM
last one is the best :) but posting is here should have been fine too.

Date: March 07, 2005 01:34PM
well, you can paste it here allong with comments, no reason to have it here twice anyways :+
btw, how was your vacation?

Date: March 07, 2005 06:47PM
Well, I got your mail and the list within but havn't prepared any reply yet :)

Vacations were quite fine, thanks :)

Date: March 07, 2005 08:47PM
Posted by: harjinator
good good. even genii need a rest sometimes...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: March 07, 2005 11:58PM
anxiously awaiting lo2k ;-)

anyway, i have a question, about the wet-weather-reflection, there are those REFLECT_ class objects. but why? most of them are used for the trackwalls, some for bridges, burt i cant see why they are there.. as if you look at a track, you'll see there are bridges using a REFLECT_ class counterpart, but there are allso objects wich lack an REFLECT_ class counterpart, and still they get shown in the waterreflection, as are the stands/pitbuilding/pitwall/etc. all not using a mirrored object under the track. is there maybe a way in wich is set wich items reflect themselves and wich need an extra object? and do yopu by any chenge have a slight idea why these ttwo methods exist in one and the same trackformat?

Date: March 08, 2005 12:24AM
Posted by: Xero
As far as I know, track reflections aren't done in realtime, but are simply transparent patches in the track surface which show the REFLECT_ objects.
Date: March 08, 2005 12:32AM
yes, that's what i thought, but if you inspect the .gp4 file, you'll see that most of the object that DO show in reflections, are note represented as a REFLECT_class object.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2005 12:33AM by <Maverick>.
Date: March 08, 2005 08:11AM
Posted by: erwin_78
Most plain objects reflect by them selves. There are other objects classes who don't reflect (ie NTREE or FTREE) for those have an extra object with the REFLECT class. I think to reduce PO, because it are mainly large objects (see monaco) or most common objects like guardrails. Some are usefull, some are very enoying, becuase you have to edit both objects to achieve one goal.

I wonder what happens if you delete all objects from the RELFECT class and change the objects who don't reflect to a reflecting class.
Too bad Laurent is stopping you from deleteing objects ;)
Date: March 08, 2005 04:01PM
Both methods are used as far as I know but I don't know clearly what setting is used to set wich method is used.
I also thought for a time that the Reflect Class set the only objects to be auto-reflected without any mirrored real geometry but from what you just explained it doesn't seem so simple...
Other settings to take in account are track quality options and mirrored objects choices made in the f1graphics.cfg file, I assume they also play a role here.

Date: March 08, 2005 04:28PM
Posted by: b-tone
would it be hard to reassign the initial sector?
montreal used to start near the hairpin, but otherwise the layout was mostly the same as it is now.

____
Tony

Date: March 08, 2005 04:56PM
Posted by: six degrees
righty, I've been messing about trying to get a track in zm (well, one corner :P) and doing it the way I think's right seems to mess up the co-ordinates - ie I clear the flag values to get it in zm, but the objects are always a bit out of place, which makes what I want to do bloody difficult lol.... all I'm trying to do is extend the runoff at turn 5 (i think) at melbourne, where we saw JV spin during qually 1, cos atm you just smack the wall :p...

little help? :D
Date: March 08, 2005 05:02PM
b-tone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> would it be hard to reassign the initial sector?
> montreal used to start near the hairpin, but
> otherwise the layout was mostly the same as it is
> now.
>
> ____
> Tony
cant you just displace the initial sector, and place new sectors in front of it untill you reach the current start?

Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Both methods are used as far as I know but I don't
> know clearly what setting is used to set wich
> method is used.
> I also thought for a time that the Reflect Class
> set the only objects to be auto-reflected without
> any mirrored real geometry but from what you just
> explained it doesn't seem so simple...
> Other settings to take in account are track
> quality options and mirrored objects choices made
> in the f1graphics.cfg file, I assume they also
> play a role here.

well i just tried some things, and it seesm pretty simple, flag=0 object is reflected in the water flag=64 object is not reflected, thus it will need an REFLECT_ counterpart. every object below the track will be displayed through the track when wet, i'm not sure the "REFLECT" tag really does anythin at all? Maybe it's just for the programmers to keep stuff organised.
Btw, just did some tests, some walls DID show up on their own after setting the flag, but i may have found why they used the double objects instead of reflection for the wall, i'll find out....

Date: March 08, 2005 05:16PM
well, obvious reasons for using the reflections for walls, the enigine for the reflections is pretty primitive, it can only mirror objects at an 180 degree angle, so if you have a track that tilts up or down, your walls under the track will not be propperly mirrored. see:

You can see here the wall, and his propper mirrored self wich was created by the pro's using REFLECT_wallbla... and under it there's the realtime created mirror of the wall, made by me by setting the flag for the wall to "0" as you can see the angle of it is totaly off. (edit: i only see this after posting, but if you look further forward, yopu can even see that the level of start and end are so much apart, that at the end the object's mirror even apears above the tracks surface)

Problem solved :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2005 05:18PM by <Maverick>.
Date: March 08, 2005 10:53PM
It sounds good :)
I already found that flag was having some effect on mirrored object (as seen in the doc) but hadn't time to make much tests on it.

Date: March 08, 2005 11:00PM
yes i saw what the manual said about it, gave me a good idea where to look for, btw, hows the list comming? :+

Date: March 08, 2005 11:02PM
I got it, I got it...but I'm pretty busy since yesterday on another incoming "mod":
[www.grandprixgames.org]

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy