F1 Manager - 2006 Season - Season Finale! - Results PG38

Posted by F1_Manager 
Apologies for the multiple post, but I felt a fresh page was needed for this announcement.

Seeing as it appears no one is able to run a next race before I get chance to after the 17th, in order to keep things ticking along in the meantime I think that this is a good time to share with you some possible improvements that I have been developing so I can judge you guy's thoughts and opinions. So without further adieu...

Possible Changes for 2007:

General Changes

- Governing Body

- Pretty self explanatory, a panel of members who could propose new ideas that could be implemented as well as giving people a place to voice their concerns. Hopefully this could be used to produce new cool ideas to keep the series moving and evolving. Could consist solely of team managers but, I think it would be nice to open it up to those on the waiting list or even those that just have a passing interest in the series. If there is enough interest in this idea, I think it might be neat to have an FIA governing body AND a teams association - aka, FOTA - but that aim is probably a bit ambitious.

- Activity Checks

- The activity of certain managers in the thread is becoming a growing concern for myself, espcially with so many people waiting for a place in the series. Therefore, the propsoal is that from next season the activity of all managers will be checked every two races. If a manager hasn't posted in the thread in this period they will a receive a warning. A second warning will result in either a fine or points deduction and a third warning will result in expulsion.

Performance Changes

- Soft + Hard Compound Tyres

- Based off an idea from the old RGFR series before the site died. Prior to a race weekend each manager chooses whether they want to use soft tyres, which slightly increases the qualifying perf of their drivers in return for a slight reduction in their race perf, or hard tyres which do the opposite. Whilst it may not be that realistic, I thought it might be a nice little addition to series and add another strategy element.

- Driver Bias/ Number One Drivers

- This idea came to mind after the latest Red Bull spat at the Malaysian GP a couple if weeks back and I thought it might be a nice little feature to add. Essentially, prior to a race weekend each team manager can nominate one of their two race drivers to be their 'Number 1 Driver' for that race weekend. This would be done by sending a pm to the F1_Manager stating your preferred driver, as well as how much you would like to boost his perf by, similar to the system used in the GPGNC. The drawback is however, whatever value you choose to boost your number 1 driver's perf by, is also the value detracted from your second drivers perf.

For example, a teams perf is as follows:

[Team #XX]
Name=N/A,
Performance=800,800,1000
First Driver=11,Driver A,15000,100,15000,100
Second Driver=12,Driver B,15000,100,15000,100

If the manager of Team XX were to nominate Driver A as his number 1 driver, and boost his perf by 50 points, the perf would look like this:

[Team #XX]
Name=N/A,
Performance=800,800,1000
First Driver=11,Driver A,15050,100,15050,100
Second Driver=12,Driver B,14950,100,14950,100

I've not yet come up with a limit by which you can boost a drivers perf by so, as always, this is open for discussion.

- Engine Wear

- At the start of the season each team is given eight engines per car to use over the entire season, each providing the baseline performance for the team. Before each event, each team will select one of their eight engines to use for the entirty of the weekend, however, after the race is finished, the engine used will lose a slight amount of BHP and reliabilty. Of course, needless to say if you are forced to retire a car because of engine failure, then you will not be able to use that engine again. Not only does add another layer of strategy to the series, but it could also be used as a method of keeping the field closer together, by having the rate wear increase the higher you finish in the race. Also if you manage to run out of engines, there could be further implications...

Budget Changes

- Applying for Engines

- For a while now I thought that the current system of buying engines is slightly unfair as the outcome of a teams season may well depend on whether or not they are online when the engines first come on for sale. Instead, I personally would like to move away from this system and use one similar to the driver negotiations. Of course this rule wouldn't apply to teams like Ferrari or McLaren who make their own engines or are a traditional customer.

- Main Budgets

1) Whilst I am happy with the way the budgets are organised at the moment, I know from experience that they are quite difficult to get right and can be quite controversial. In addition, I also feel that the current system does not really reward the teams who spend their budget the wisely, or punish those who splash out the cash Man City style. As a result, I would propose moving to a system where each team is reward 'X' amount of money based on their WCC position the previous year, which is added to whatever you had left over at the end of the year. The benefits of this would be that the team budgets at least would be a damn sight easier to calculate and, if you find yourself short on cash, there can be no complaining. However, this could well lead to a situation where one or two teams have money coming out of their ears, whilst others are forced to busk on the street to pay their bills, but then again, I suppose that's just part of the game.

2)Get rid of testing budget. By this I don't remove the cost of attending mid-season test sessions, but have teams pay for them directly from their main budgets. I feel that this again will add an element of strategy to series as well as allowing teams to 'shift' development of there current car, to focus instead on next seasons'.

- New Testing Format

- To be honest I am not a huge fan of the current testing format as I feel that whilst on the face of it their is an element of strategy to making your testing choices between focusing on pace or reliabilty, in reality for most teams the choice is a no brainer. Therefore I am considering dropping the current format either for a system in which instead of charging teams for actually attending the tests, they instead get charged based on what they focus on i.e. Let's say it cost £500k to attend and focus on pace. If a team was to pay £1m then they have the option of doubling their focus on pace, or focusing on both pace and reliabilty.

Race Changes

- Grid Penalties

- If a driver exceeds their engine allocation, then they will be subjected to a ten place grid penalty for the next grand prix and any further engine changes will also incur the same penalty. Grid penalties could also be handed out for incidents such as causing collisions or blocking in quali, however given the nature of the game this may be controversial and may also require video evidence, as well as a stewards panel, to reach a decision which may prove problematic.

- Increase Damage Values

- Not a huge change, but I still feel that it's worth mentioning nonetheless. One thing that has always bugged me about vanilla GP4 is the way in which you can ram the car in front, clip a wall, or even roll your own car and come away completely unscathed, so personally I think it would be nice to use a more realistic damage.ini in order to achieve this. Also, this may actually add to the strategy as well, as the better drivers will be less likely to stick their car in a wall, whilst those who have a tendency of doing so are much more likely to get bit.

Of course, it goes without saying that none of the rules proposed above are guaranteed to be implemented for 2007. All I'm looking for here is all your thoughts about these proposals, possible amendments and own completely different suggestions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2013 05:00PM by F1_Manager.
I'm completely in favour of all of these changes. Activity checks need to be a bit stricter in my opinion, because we've had a few situations (like in Imola) where races didn't happen for weeks due to inactive hosts. I personally would go for activity checks every one or two weeks. If people care about the game enough, they'll post something in this time period. Also, to everyone playing, I would suggest keeping this thread one of your homepages so that you can't forget about the game. It's what I've been doing since I joined the game.

Otherwise, I'm really digging these changes and it would be really cool if these were implemented.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 11:56AM by RegularJohn.
RegularJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm completely in favour of all of these changes.
> Activity checks need to be a bit stricter in my
> opinion, because we've had a few situations (like
> in Imola) where races didn't happen for weeks due
> to inactive hosts. I personally would go for
> activity checks every one or two weeks. If people
> care about the game enough, they'll post something
> in this time period. Also, to everyone playing, I
> would suggest keeping this thread one of your
> homepages so that you can't forget about the game.
> It's what I've been doing since I joined the
> game.
>
> Otherwise, I'm really digging these changes and it
> would be really cool if these were implemented.

Really glad you're fan of the changes man, and on the topic of activity:

Addrodoc has been removed as the manager of Toro Rosso with immediate effect as since accepting the spot at the beginning of the season he's not posted in the thread once. I can only apologies to those on the waiting list for not spotting this early. Ginnerchris will take his place.

In addition Chris2k6 has been removed from the waiting list as he has not logged onto the site in the past 6 months.

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

> Addrodoc has been removed as the manager of Toro
> Rosso with immediate effect as since accepting the
> spot at the beginning of the season he's not
> posted in the thread once. I can only apologies to
> those on the waiting list for not spotting this
> early. Ginnerchris will take his place.

I'm delighted to be taking the reigns of the Toro Rosso team and will be doing a comprehensive audit of the teams systems and personnel.

Can't complain about the rule changes, although I did have a thought about testing - when did in-season testing end?
Agree with engine penalties, but think it would be very difficult to assign penalties for quali blocking. There may be an argument for crashes which cause the retirement of the opponent.
Having managers make decisions about tyres would encourage active participation by all managers, but we need to ensure it doesn't hold up the series. Would there need to be a default if a manager doesn't reply by deadline?
F1_Manager Wrote:
> [i1057.photobucket.com]
> %20Manager%202006/04_Imola/Imola_Race_Results.png~
> original
>
> DOTD: Robert Kubica, winning his first GP with a
> dominating performance.
>
>
> %20Manager%202006/04_Imola/Imola_Race_WDC.png~orig
> inal
>
> %20Manager%202006/04_Imola/Imola_Race_WCC.png~orig
> inal

Any chance of a text version of the results of the last race given these photos are unavailable atm?
Many suggestion you've made there ;)

General Changes
Governing Body:
Would be good to have something like that, but FIA and FOTA could lead to FOTA series when there are differences ;)
More important is to have some more RDs!

Activity Checks:
Definitely needed, but not in the style of the GPGSL with one every two weeks. As we've often had longer breaks between 2 GP (even during 1 GP, like last round showed), I'd favour a system similar to the GPGNC, where you have to post at least once during the time a GP is run.

Performance Changes
I like 2 of the 3 the ideas here, but we have to keep in mind that this would also produce some extra work.

Soft + Hard Compound Tyres:
I like the idea, but what if a manager doesn't send in his choice in time/at all?

Driver Bias/ Number One Drivers:
Same as above, but this time the solution is a lot easier, as the drivers then just can keep their normal perf.

Engine Wear:
I honestly don't like this. First it punishes both your drivers if only one has an engine failure.

by having the rate wear increase the higher you finish in the race
Also, as quoted, if your driver wins the race, and a driver of another team finishes let's say 17th, but isn't lapped, both cars have done the same amount of laps, but the engine of the 17th placed would be in a better condition. And this would also punish the second driver of your team if he finishes the race at the back end of the field.

Budget Changes
Applying for Engines:
Better than the current system, but with traditional customer we also have to look at the previous seasons of the Manager, and not only at F1. For example Jaguar/RedBull has Honda engines for 2 or 3 years now.

Main Budgets:
1) Same concerns as already mentioned by you. Maybe a mix of both systems...
2) Good idea

New Testing Format:
I like the idea, but by making the tests more expensive, the gaps between the teams could also increase when some are not able to afford the testing costs

Race Changes
Grid Penalties:
Impossible imo, GP4 produces too many weird crashes.

Increase Damage Values:
Yes, but it's difficult to find some good values.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Imola Results:

KUB
VER
RSC
ALO
MOY
RAI
GLO
MOT
MAS
LEI
FRE
KOV
VIL
DAM
WEB
LOT
VET
DAV
COU
MSC
HEI
BUT

Sorry for all the pics being down atm, my account has reached the bandwidth limit, it will be resetted the day after tomorrow (hopefully).

Some mods
For the first time, I like all the proposed changes.
ginnerchris Wrote:
> Can't complain about the rule changes, although I
> did have a thought about testing - when did
> in-season testing end?

I believe mid-season testing was banned outright in 2009, however I could be wrong.

kedy89 Wrote:
> More important is to have some more RDs!

Most definitely! Unfortunately there's little we can do about that :/

> Activity Checks:
> Definitely needed, but not in the style of the
> GPGSL with one every two weeks. As we've often had
> longer breaks between 2 GP (even during 1 GP, like
> last round showed), I'd favour a system similar to
> the GPGNC, where you have to post at least once
> during the time a GP is run.

I agree that the races are too sparsely spread to implement a weekly or bi-weekly activity check. One post per event seems reasonable to me.

> Soft + Hard Compound Tyres:
> I like the idea, but what if a manager doesn't
> send in his choice in time/at all?

My first thought was simply to leave their teams perf alone, although that may not be entirely realistic. However hopefully with the introduction of more stringent activity checks, this won't be a problem... hopefully..

> Driver Bias/ Number One Drivers:
> Same as above, but this time the solution is a lot
> easier, as the drivers then just can keep their
> normal perf.

You assume correct sire!

Also as I'm the one who handles the perfs I don't really mind a little extra work if the changes help encourage participation, plus using Ali's Performance Editor makes editing the perfs a doddle :)

> Engine Wear:
> I honestly don't like this. First it punishes both
> your drivers if only one has an engine failure.
> by having the rate wear increase the higher you
> finish in the race
> Also, as quoted, if your driver wins the race, and
> a driver of another team finishes let's say 17th,
> but isn't lapped, both cars have done the same
> amount of laps, but the engine of the 17th placed
> would be in a better condition. And this would
> also punish the second driver of your team if he
> finishes the race at the back end of the field.

I may have completely forgot that each driver shares the same engine perfs when I came up with this idea ;) In this case this idea will probably scrapped.

> Applying for Engines:
> Better than the current system, but with
> traditional customer we also have to look at the
> previous seasons of the Manager, and not only at
> F1. For example Jaguar/RedBull has Honda engines
> for 2 or 3 years now.

Now that is a great idea and something I didn't consider. I'll have a look at each teams suppliers for the past couple years and drop Jake a pm.

> Main Budgets:
> 1) Same concerns as already mentioned by you.
> Maybe a mix of both systems...

As to how we proceed with the budgets is definitely a topic that we need more opinions on. One solution I thought of would be to introduce a budget cap, however I don't know how popular that would be.

> New Testing Format:
> I like the idea, but by making the tests more
> expensive, the gaps between the teams could also
> increase when some are not able to afford the
> testing costs

I appreciate your concern, however using the current testing budget each team has 9 of the teams can easily afford to attend all the mid-season tests and focus on both pace and reliabilty, meanwhile Ferrari would have enough to attend 3. Williams however could only attend one test but this situation could easily be avoid through good budget management and strategy

> Race Changes
> Grid Penalties:
> Impossible imo, GP4 produces too many weird
> crashes.

I do agree with you to a certain degree here for the reasons I stated originally, however I do think that grid penalties could still be implemented for exceeding your engine quota and it would encourage managers to be more strategical when it comes to testing rather than just opting to focus on pace everytime.

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Budgets haven't been posted, so I wasn't sure how much exactly every team has. In this case the new testing format is a good idea.

Regarding the grid penalties for engine changes, I have to say that I also don't like them in real F1, simply because the driver is punished for something that isn't his fault imo. I still say no to this.

Some mods
kedy89 Wrote:
> Budgets haven't been posted, so I wasn't sure how
> much exactly every team has. In this case the new
> testing format is a good idea.
>
> Regarding the grid penalties for engine changes, I
> have to say that I also don't like them in real
> F1, simply because the driver is punished for
> something that isn't his fault imo. I still say no
> to this.

They're on page 9. :)

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Incident 2k9 schrieb:
> kedy89 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Budgets haven't been posted, so I wasn't sure
> how
> > much exactly every team has. In this case the
> new
> > testing format is a good idea.
> >
> > Regarding the grid penalties for engine changes,
> I
> > have to say that I also don't like them in real
> > F1, simply because the driver is punished for
> > something that isn't his fault imo. I still say
> no
> > to this.
>
> They're on page 9. :)

Whoops, seems I missed that. Definitely too many posts and pages in this thread to keep the overview ;)

Some mods
Btw, I should be able to also run the European GP. Could take a bit longer, but normally the coverage should be up at the 17th at the latest.

Some mods
kedy89 Wrote:
> Btw, I should be able to also run the European GP.
> Could take a bit longer, but normally the coverage
> should be up at the 17th at the latest.

If you feel up to it Kedy by all means :)

By the way I did get chance to run both free practice and quali for the European GP yesterday and could send the files your way if you're interested. The only problem is that whilst Free Practice is a regular photo coverage, I've no photos from quali, only videos.

I love all the proposed rule changes

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]
You can send me the FP and Quali files. However I wouldn't upload the video then, but instead make some screens of the video. Makes it a bit easier for me :-)

Some mods
Believe it or not I've been following this the last 6 months, just never logged in as i'm rarely posting. I wasn't aware I was on the waiting list haha The new proposed rules sound pretty good. It's good to see this series still going and plenty of effort been pumped in to it. I just wish I had the time I used to, to be able to run races. If I have any spare time to run a race then I'll be on to let you know :-D
I don't know whether people would want an outsider involved but i would be willing to RD sometimes? Most people here have seen what i tend to produce, but i'm happy to help out as i follow the series to some extent.

Also the rule changes look good, its great to see the series head into a direction that makes it a lot closer to actual F1 management!

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
I'd be happy with non-managers acting as RDs, in fact it might even be preferable.
kedy89 Wrote:
> You can send me the FP and Quali files. However I
> wouldn't upload the video then, but instead make
> some screens of the video. Makes it a bit easier
> for me :-)

I've sent the files over now but I took the privilege of taking the pictures myself because it seemed pointless uploading 20 odd fraps files just for you to take three pictures :)

Chris2k6 Wrote:
> Believe it or not I've been following this the
> last 6 months, just never logged in as i'm rarely
> posting. I wasn't aware I was on the waiting list
> haha The new proposed rules sound pretty good.
> It's good to see this series still going and
> plenty of effort been pumped in to it. I just wish
> I had the time I used to, to be able to run races.
> If I have any spare time to run a race then I'll
> be on to let you know :-D

No worries Chris, I can restore you to the waiting list if you wish and it's nice to see that you're still around :)

truecrysis Wrote:
> I don't know whether people would want an outsider
> involved but i would be willing to RD sometimes?
> Most people here have seen what i tend to produce,
> but i'm happy to help out as i follow the series
> to some extent.
>
> Also the rule changes look good, its great to see
> the series head into a direction that makes it a
> lot closer to actual F1 management!

I've no problem with 'outsiders' getting involved, the more the merrier I say! ;)

If you ever feel the urge to RD a race just let me know, I could even pre-record and upload it for you to do your thing, just as Eric is doing right now in the GPGNC if that would be easier for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy