Date: July 27, 2010 08:30PM
Posted by: LS.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Re: 2010 German Grand Prix ****SPOILERS****
Date: July 27, 2010 08:34PM
Posted by: marcl
^Love is made me LOL.

Just read this, I know its from the Ferrari website but its just rubbing it in to F1 fans.

[www.autosport.com]

Alonso great feeling to win, how can any driver in the world be happy to win like that I know I would not be happy.
Date: July 28, 2010 12:05AM
Posted by: airefresco
To be honest, I would doubt Alonso or Massa said that stuff off their own backs. More likely Ferrari PR people helped in the writing of that and they are hardly going to say the truth and shoot themselves in the foot for the hearing.

I didn´t think Alonso looked to happy at all getting out of the car on Sunday, nor in the press conference. One of the reporters there mentioned something to Alonso that he doesn´t look too happy considering he´d just won, it´s in the official press release on Autosport. He gave a bit of smile and cheer, but it looked more for show to me. Nowhere near as happy he usually is when he wins.

At the end of the day, Fernando Alonso is an employee of Ferrari. If they tell him (or any other employee, including Massa) to do something then he has to do it or face the consequences. It´s the same as any other business, we all get jobs(or tasks) that we don´t want to do but we have to. We all might think it is unfair, but that´s life.

If anyone did anything wrong on Sunday then it´s Massa and Smedley, I can understand why they did it, but they caused a whole load of unnecessary problems for Ferrari being so obvious.
Date: July 28, 2010 12:25AM
Posted by: Morbid
airefresco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At the end of the day, Fernando Alonso is an
> employee of Ferrari. If they tell him (or any
> other employee, including Massa) to do something
> then he has to do it or face the consequences.
> It´s the same as any other business, we all get
> jobs(or tasks) that we don´t want to do but we
> have to. We all might think it is unfair, but
> that´s life.

If that is the case, then it is a really good idea to go on the radio and shout "This is ridiculous!" when you fail to overtake your team mate. It is also a good idea to dodge the post race interviewers questions, when prompted on whether or not you encouraged the team to issue a team order. Alonso is not a victim, he is the instigator. But he is very much aware of the power of looking like a victim.

> If anyone did anything wrong on Sunday then it´s
> Massa and Smedley, I can understand why they did
> it, but they caused a whole load of unnecessary
> problems for Ferrari being so obvious.

Bullsh!t

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 28, 2010 01:10AM
Posted by: LS.
Fernando Alonso demanded McLaren force Lewis Hamilton to play second fiddle, it is alleged today.

The double world champion's Ferrari team were fined after benefitting from team orders in Germany on Sunday.

Paddock sources say he had talks with McLaren bosses Martin Whitmarsh and Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian Grand Prix.

After a controversial qualifying session, Alonso demanded McLaren give him priority within the team. The day before, his rivalry with Hamilton over the world championship had burst into the open with an on-track confrontation.

Alonso had roared to pole, but only by blocking his teammate and preventing him getting in a fast lap.

Stewards dropped the Spaniard to sixth and Hamilton was elevated to pole.

On race-day, Hamilton roared to victory to stretch his lead in the title race to seven points.

Alonso charged to fourth to reduce the damage caused by his own dubious tactics.

It is claimed that on the morning of the event he confronted the team and wanted to be given preferrential treatment on the track over his rookie team-mate, but that McLaren refused to do so. And months later they lost the world title by a single point. Alonso's manager, Luis Abad, denied the 2007 claim when he said: "I don't want to talk about it but in any case, it's not true."

Last night team boss Whitmarsh refused to comment specifically on that day in Hungary three years ago.

But he said Britain's top team would never stoop to favouritism and the tactics that see Ferrari in the dock over Sunday's German GP, facing a possible ban from the sport. "There is no doubt that this team desperately wants to win world championships," said Whitmarsh.

"We are immensely competitive and it does cause most of us a physical pain when we are not winning. It is a deeply unpleasant experience and that drives us on.

"During 2007 we sacrificed a world championship. We lost a championship by one point.

"Had we leaned to the advantage of one of our two drivers that year - and there were lots of temptations to do so - then it would have made enough of a difference to have acquired the extra point to have won the championship.

"During that phase I remember talking to the drivers and their management and saying what a great driver would want to do is look at himself in the mirror and say 'I have won this world championship on merit' and not by the team leaning one way and giving him an advantage.

"If McLaren won a championship where I think we did something dodgy to achieve it... if you did the record book might show it but in your heart I don't think you would have the same feeling of pleasure.

"If you win against the odds it is slightly more enjoyable. If you win when you have swayed it to your advantage by cheating or doing something unsporting, you would not feel so good."

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 28, 2010 01:16AM
Posted by: Frantic

Seeing that, and that FIA didnt do anything about that, they cant punish Ferrari.

Edit: thats Hockenheim 08 and Heikki letting Lewis overtake him

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 04:53AM by Frantic.
Date: July 28, 2010 07:35AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
If anyone did anything wrong on Sunday then it´s Massa and Smedley, I can understand why they did it, but they caused a whole load of unnecessary problems for Ferrari being so obvious.

I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to actually post such sh*t.

It´s the same as any other business, we all get jobs(or tasks) that we don´t want to do but we have to. We all might think it is unfair, but that´s life.

In my employer asks me to break rules, I refuse. That could include Health and Safety laws, it could include company policies, or it could include something else. What Ferrari did was in direct violation of the sporting code, and asking the staff to do it was completely out of order.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 28, 2010 08:21AM
Posted by: torana_05
its like standing on top of a ladder. even though it has that sticker on it saying 'Do Not Stand on or above this Tread' everyone still does it all the time. but ferrari have just stepped on that top step in a field of work place health and safety officers. They should get a warning for it but nothing can be done by it as everyone does it all the time can think of numerous times it has happened in the past.

Date: July 28, 2010 09:10AM
Ron Dennis love him or hate him always said the truth would come out about 2007. We all know that Alonso told them that if they did not back him he would got to the FIA about the spy thing, so Ron went himself.

USA race that year it was clear Alonso wanted them to move Lewis out the way, but Mclaren did not. Mclaren had already been in trouble that year but telling Lewis not to race Alonso at Monaco, tbh I agreed with that as Alonso only lost his big lead due to a safety car.

If you look back the signs were already there at the 1st race in 2007 as Alonso felt Lewis held him up during the 1st stint.

So who was telling the truth in 2007 then? Were things really as bad as a few people made out? Alonso even had a FIA memeber in the pits for Brazil to make sure he got equal treatment and he was still slower than Lewis.

Also another question is being asked yet again, did Alonso know Piquet was going to crash?

All this has come about due to his after race questions when he was put on the spot.

Its all in the past though, Mclaren did not back down Ferrari did. But you get bet more and more stuff will come out now just no one knows what the truth is and what has been made up by the press.

Many people are now talking about what Luca said said the drivers race for the team and the team points is what counts not the individual. How many extra points did Ferrari get but swapping the drivers round? None but they could now lose them lol.

Please remember they have been found guilty and are going to the World Council to get a punishment.

About this thing that people do it all the time. People speed all the time but the police do not and cannot catch everyone. Ferrari have been caught as it was clear as day what they done. Renault had the plans for Mclaren parts, nothing was done yet Mclaren when they had the plans for Ferrari were taken to the cleaners.

People keep bringing up Germany 2008, why are they not bringing up Brazil 2007 and China 2007 or Singapoure 2008? In France 2008 and Silverstone 2008 did Kovy move out of Lewis way? did he @#$%&. Look at all the facts from Germany 2008 watch the race and look how much faster Lewis was than Kovy, what was the point in Kovy holding him up when he would have got past anyway. mclarens radios were checked after that race in Germany and nothing was found, on Sunday we all heard what was said and there is meant to be even more.

Race stewards would not have found them guilty if they had done nothing wrong would they?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 09:44AM by marcl.
Date: July 28, 2010 09:25AM
Posted by: Ali
DaveEllis Wrote:
>
> I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to
> actually post such sh*t.
>

Oh, I must be then because I would post it.
Date: July 28, 2010 09:56AM
Posted by: airefresco
DaveEllis Wrote:
> I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to
> actually post such sh*t.

If Massa and Smedley had been less obvious none of this discussion or the fines, etc would have happened. The Piquet thing is a perfect example of that. Everyone (or most people) assumed Piquet screwed it up.

> In my employer asks me to break rules, I refuse.
> That could include Health and Safety laws, it
> could include company policies, or it could
> include something else. What Ferrari did was in
> direct violation of the sporting code, and asking
> the staff to do it was completely out of order.

Then don´t do then. If your asked to do something and you think it´s wrong, you don´t do it and face the consequences. Doing it and advertising the fact you´re doing it is just going to get you in trouble with your employer and possibly authorities (depending what you are asked to do). Piquet as an example again. He came of far worse out of the whole Singapore thing. He was generally seen as a bad driver until he opened his mouth, at which point he became bad driver, cheat and a liability. All he gained out of that was getting Briatori and Symmonds banned. Way to ruin your career.

As for all this stuff about Alonso wanting to be nº1 driver. Well yes, of course he does and almost every team on the grid does that. 2007 Alonso was reining double world champion and Hamilton (as good as he was) was a rookie in his first year. Alonso went there expecting to be champion again and it all went pear shaped, because they didn´t act as team, they were are fighting each other and Kimi picked up the pieces and took the championship right from under Mclarens nose. If Hamilton had played the game for his first year (and Mclaren) then Alonso should´ve easily won the championship that year and Mclaren would have had the constructors. Having said all that it would have been far more profitable for Mclaren to have Hamilton to win. It was a difficult situation for Mclaren to handle, and they did it wrong (I include everyone there, The team, Alonso, Hamilton, everyone).
Date: July 28, 2010 10:10AM
2007 no one expected Lewis to be leading Alonso at the mid way stage of the championship did they? Alonso probably was the lead driver at the start and he was doing well.

Alonso made silly errors in 2007 in Spain, Canada, Hungry, Japan and some other races and that is what cost him the championship not Mclaren like people keep saying. Alonso lost the championship in 2007 by himself I wish people would open their eyes on that one, the mistake he made cost him the points he needed. Yes Lewis made mistakes as well that cost him the title but he does not blame the team even though in China they should have pitted him way before they did.

How else could Mclaren have done things different in 2007? Let Alonso win move Lewis over? Can you blame Mclaren after Hungry for them not wanting to support Alonso, I still feel they should have dropped him but due to the teams backers its probably why they did not. If they did then people would have just said they were favouring Lewis all year long, which was not the case.

Which drivers new they were testing Ferrari parts in 2007 then? oh yes it was Alonso was it not. Lewis did not know anything about it. But Alonso waiting all the way until Hungry to try and use this against Mclaren even though he was also asked in July if he know about the Ferrari data etc and said no.

And no I dont think every driver does want to be no1 in a team, I am sure most drivers see their team mate as the person to beat so they like to beat them on the track. If your better than your team mate you should be able to beat them without the teams help, that is how I have always seen it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 10:16AM by marcl.
Date: July 28, 2010 10:13AM
Posted by: Nickv
airefresco Schreef:
> DaveEllis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough
> to
> > actually post such sh*t.
>
> If Massa and Smedley had been less obvious none of
> this discussion or the fines, etc would have
> happened. The Piquet thing is a perfect example
> of that. Everyone (or most people) assumed Piquet
> screwed it up.

I don't think Smedley and Massa have to cover Ferraris ass when Ferrari is breaking the rules and Smedley and Massa are the victims of that. I'd have done exactly the same. They screw me, I screw them. It's as simple as that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 10:14AM by Nickv.
Date: July 28, 2010 10:14AM
Posted by: chet
Marcl - I didnt want to be the first to say but I now question ALonso's involvment in 08 at Singapore.

He's shown what he would do to win, and he's shown this season what an uncompramising character he is, waving his arms about at every opportunity when a backmarker decides to be on track at the same time.

He celebrated this German GP victory like he earned it. Like he had to fight through the field through Mclarens and RBR's. The guy has no shame.

I see 2007 in a much different light now. The way he waved his arms at Indy because Lewis wouldnt let him past. The way he childishly held Lewis up at Hungary. He would do anything to win so now, I certainly wouldnt put it past him about 08.

fresco - Mclaren would not have easily won in they focused on Alonso. ALonso had more testing time with the new car, infact I believe more in total, so he came in to 07 with more experience, and more f1 experience with Mclaren. Yet Lewis matched him from 4-5 races in and dominated him at Canada and some races beyond. For Mclaren to focus on Alonso would have been criminal and possibly detrimental to themselves. I have no doubts Ron favoured Lewis, but as a team nothing was done to hurt Alonso and his performance. He did that himself.

For Germany 08, you will find Kova moved because he wanted to move. He knew the situation of the race and WDC and he himself decided that without any outside influence.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 28, 2010 10:28AM
Posted by: J i m
DaveEllis Wrote:
> In my employer asks me to break rules, I refuse.
> That could include Health and Safety laws, it
> could include company policies, or it could
> include something else. What Ferrari did was in
> direct violation of the sporting code, and asking
> the staff to do it was completely out of order.

You should come and work for my employer, you'd have a field day... the upper management don't know their arses from their elbows. Pretty much everything they say... they almost immediately go on to contradict with their actions, they u-turn on things so often it usually goes round in circles.

At my level... on the "shop floor" very much on the front line, it very much depends on who is in charge of the shift as to what constitutes the right way to do things, consequentiality it makes staff like me look stupid... because of the red tape and bureaucracy, the stupidity of higher management, and lack of clarity and direction that causes makes it very difficult to do my job consistently. And since my role has the most face to face contact with the "customer" inevitability it's me who is going to get most of the flak.

I can't say too much... save for that a disgruntled former employee ratted about them in the papers. The article got pretty much everything spot on....however it happened to be the daily mail of all things so I doubt anyone actually took it seriously.

I'm not going to name names, but I know all too well what it's like to be instructed to do things that are not only against company policy, but also things that stretch the envelope of legality, and it's not an easy situation to be in... it's not clear cut what you do. On the one hand... you want to stand your ground and say no... because if you're found out... you personally are in trouble and can bet your bottom dollar that the person who instructed you will not back you up. But also that very person who instructed you can makes things hard for you if you don't follow their orders... so it's a bit like being stuck between a rock and a hard place, you're dammed if you and dammed if you don't.

---

Going back to the Ferrari thing, it was obvious that they knew exactly what they were doing and they were fully aware that it is against the regulations. The body language of the team on the pit-wall was like an open book... they looked embarrassed even before Massa bowed to thinly veiled order. Smedly in particular looked like he finding things extremely awkward, he obviously didn't want a part in that what so ever... but he's a employee and he would have been fearing the consequence of his job if he didn't follow instruction himself. I can empathise with him entirely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 10:35AM by J i m.
Date: July 28, 2010 10:57AM
Posted by: gav
marcl
People keep bringing up Germany 2008, why are they not bringing up Brazil 2007 and China 2007 or Singapoure 2008?

Yeah, nobody's mentioned them about 10 times already in this thread.

I love how this is backfiring on Alonso. All he's guilty of is taking advantage of either weak-minded management or horribly naive management.

Show me a world champion who wouldn't do exactly the same and I'll show you a liar.

With perhaps a couple of exceptions, it's the sad truth.
Date: July 28, 2010 11:11AM
^Very true.

Its the press that have really gone to work on Alonso, when infact he has done nothing wrong that we know of. His team mate slowed down he passed him, what else could he do? He says he did not know why Massa was slowing down etc. This is why I do not blame Alonso for what took place on Sunday, yes he was moaning etc but at the end of the day Ferrari did not have to move Massa over.

If you look back at the following they all won world championships with team mates help.

Prost, Kimi, Mika, MS, Lewis. Alonso has infact never won due to help by a team mate, yes he was no1 at Renault but Fissi never moved over for him, he was told he would have to pass him more than once.

Hill could have been world champ in 1993 had he not moved over for Prost more than once.
Eddie nearly won in 1999 due to help from 2 team mates, but lost due to helping MS earlier in the year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 11:14AM by marcl.
Date: July 28, 2010 11:17AM
Posted by: elemental
airefresco Wrote:

I totally agree. Smedley and Massa did it with such complete overtness that it played Massa off as some kind of vulnerable, betrayed victim, while the outrage against Ferrari grew massive as we saw. Massa's had a pretty crap season the gap in points and performance is clearly sufficient that Ferrari have decided that they need to back Alonso for the title. It's not a case of McLaren 2007, or Red Bull and McLaren this year where you have two drivers who seem to be very close in speed, frequently switching places and all within a short margin at the top of the championship. They all have an equal shot at the title still so backing one driver is not necessary right now. Massa had his chance and now Ferrari have decided that he's blown it, which seems okay to me. At the end of the day it's about the championship, and people wouldn't have cared (and didn't care in 2007) if it was the last race of the season and had happened. If Massa has a problem with that happening, maybe he should learn to drive faster and more consistently. Then it won't happen. What is it about this particular context that people find so heinous? If it's simply breaking the rules, every team on the grid bar the slow ones is guilty of it and I'd like to know if those people were equally upset with cases such as Interlagos 2007, or Canada 2008 when Heidfeld let Kubica through for the win. When drivers are as conscientious and mindful of the needs of the team, like Kovalainen or even Räikkönen, they don't need to be ordered because they know it's the right thing to do. When drivers like Massa throw their toys out of the pram, they get praise and sympathy. I can somewhat understand it, and the reasons why but, still I don't necessarily agree.

The whole thing just seems kind of childish to me. The team made a decision that Massa/Smedley didn't like. I happen to think it was the right decision but, I don't suppose that matters. Once they had agreed to work in the interest of the team, why didn't they do the whole thing properly? If Smedley was going etch onto everyones scrotum with his radio transmissions that it was a team order, and Massa was going drape himself in a flag of "the team ordered me to lose boohoo" by slowing down on a straight and then being like "well, what do you think happened?" in the post-race interviews, why bother following the order in the first place? They weren't working in the interest of the team, they were working for themselves and were personally disappointed that they weren't allowed to win a race that they wanted to win, so they thought they'd sabotage and put themselves in this sympathetic light. I'm not saying that they could have anticipated this crazy fallout but, really, if they were just going to p*ss on Ferrari anyway, they might aswell have just ignored it and got themselves a win. I would be very disappointed if it was me and I was told to give way to my teammate, but in the context of the championship I think it's understandable and one should just accept "well, the team has a justification if they wish to do this" and leave it there.

Of course, Ferrari rightly take a lot of flak for just how badly they handled this whole affair. It was awe-inspiring.
Date: July 28, 2010 11:45AM
Are Ferrari that stupid though to think people would not be upset, even their own fans are.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy