Oh @#$%& (new points system and more)

Posted by tripleM 
Re: Oh @#$%& (new points system and more)
Date: March 17, 2009 04:32PM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
Well now I know I'm done first the 2009 rules on the cars and now the new point system, I am done with Formula 1. I wish the teams would just start their own series because its obvious the FIA don't care what the teams want or think.
Date: March 17, 2009 04:40PM
Posted by: SexySam182
I wrote this morning how I have never been so excited about a new F1 season. I can honestly now say that I really dont care now. The point system is the stupidest new rule to ever come into force.

Date: March 17, 2009 04:42PM
Posted by: Craigo
Ive gone from this morning be so excited with testing and all, to now coming back to the pc this afternoon and finding this rubbish rule, I just dont see how they could honestly implement such crap!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 04:42PM by Craigo.
Date: March 17, 2009 04:45PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
So, we've just gone back to the same system we've had in the 1980s effectively, except if you actually get the most wins in a season, you would be champion. So whoever wins 9 races this year will be champion. It could be over by the end of the German Grand Prix. :(

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 17, 2009 04:47PM
Posted by: marcl
All that is going to happen is people are going to get confussed.

Ok normally the person with the most points has the most wins, well sort of anyway.

But it could be that the person in 4th does so people will keep on having to say that the person in 4th is the leader.

It was like that with the 12 best scores and thats one of the reasons it went. Prost was leading in 1988 but senna won the title due to the 12 better scores.
Date: March 17, 2009 04:57PM
Posted by: chet
Its funny, anyone else think the FIA try to do the opposite of what the public want?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 17, 2009 05:05PM
Posted by: Fincent
What a way to ruin everything :( . The best winter of anticipation we've ever had (well, that I can remember) and now we get this! It's not even April 1st yet! I am completely disapointed beyond words, I really am :( .

It's not like this system is going to help the racing either, because when was the last time you actually saw Lewis Hamilton or Felipe Massa thinking "you know what? i'm comfortable here, who needs those extra points anyway?" . If a driver is in a situation where he could get himself more points then he's going to go for it, regardless of whatever kind of stupid system is in place!!! That's what they get paid mega money to do. I just can't get my head around how people think this will honestly make a difference to things. Turkey 08 for example. It's not as if hamilton wasnt trying to win, he was going all out to get the best he could get. Yet with this new system, Massa would be given an unfair advantage because, as much emphasis and motivation would be placed on winning, Hamilton simply wasn't fast enough.

All this is going to do is confuse the casual viewer and be a turn off for them. It looked so good with the unpredictability, the closeness of the times, the new rules and regulations. The prospect of overtaking and everything that's positive has now, imo, been ruined by the thought of this crappy new system.

Bollocks to the lot of them!

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: March 17, 2009 05:18PM
Posted by: madotter
We were just getting ready to potentially see one of the best years in Formula One and they bring this bull**** in. Great...
Date: March 17, 2009 05:21PM
Posted by: Craigo
Is it even worth everyone bombarding the FIA email address. Would they even consider a change of mind

Date: March 17, 2009 05:21PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Well, at least the Saturdays now will be really important, with the pole-position being of extremely preocupation for everybody, guess this is more one of the measures to try improve the value of the victory, kinda like the shortening races one, who wanted to make the drivers do not wait too much to attack as time was more important, etc... Although not necessarily need in this case, however let's see how this will come into play.
Date: March 17, 2009 05:25PM
Posted by: chet
I really really really want a driver now to go out there and just sh*t on the rules. Win a few races, enough for the title but get less than lets say half the points of the guy who finished first in the points.

OR a driver to win 9 races, then just have the rest of the time off allowing another driver in the car lol.

Both as likley as me winning the WDC but then who knows lol!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 17, 2009 05:25PM
There will just be more crashes and 2nd is no longer good enough so may as well risk a move for the win.
Date: March 17, 2009 05:43PM
Posted by: Vandusk
h'mmm. Not sure what I could say about that.

I wish the old point system back: 9-6-4-3-2-1 + 1 point for pole + 1 point for fastest lap. (the last two things wasn't in the old system, but it would be nice to add them as bonus)
Date: March 17, 2009 05:57PM
Posted by: Fincent
10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 seemed to have worked great over the past few years, and I wouldn't be complaining at 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1 either, more incentive on winning and finishing higher. It's the incentive on winning, regardless of points scored, that I absolutely diagree with.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: March 17, 2009 06:01PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I'd say 12 points for winning to keep the old 4 point gap and make it REALLY worth it winning the race. The FIA just has to be so hard headed about things...
Date: March 17, 2009 06:04PM
Posted by: ipswich2007
I have e-mailed the FIA and seriously suggest everybody else in the entire forum does to , I like so many others was excited about the coming season and now they've completely messed it up!!!

There is no polite word to describe why they didn't accept the 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1 system!

Arrggh so annoyed!
Date: March 17, 2009 06:08PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
I think its unfair, consistent drivers with slower cars will have a very small chance of winning the championship now.
Also I highly doubt that drivers are going to retire if they are not in the points during the race. As said there is still the constructors and they are in f1 to race.

Date: March 17, 2009 06:18PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
What this WILL do is disadvantage those teams that start off slow aka mclaren as it looks this season. mclaren cannot hope to pick up points at the first few races as its not about points anymore (unless the wins are tied).

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: March 17, 2009 06:28PM
Yes I was thinking the same thing.

At the moment it wont matter if the mclaren is a winning car or not, they can catch back up if they start winning.
Date: March 17, 2009 06:29PM
Posted by: Hologide
I'm going to reseve judgement on this actually. I reckon that there are 8 cars on the grid capable of challenging for wins. If there's one thing that's been missing from F1 the last few years, its been killer tense last lap battle. Pales very badly in comparison to MotoGP and especially World Superbikes, where almost every other race rides on the last lap.

If we see half of F1 races come down to a last lap battle then I'll be a happy person.

If the championship is over by August, however, I won't be.

What I fear is, once the field is strung out after 10 laps or so, that infield battles become incredibly diluted. The days of seeing a great drive from the back of the field to snatch a championship saving podium may well be dead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy