Oh @#$%& (new points system and more)

Posted by tripleM 
Oh @#$%& (new points system and more)
Date: March 17, 2009 02:39PM
Posted by: tripleM
2009 Formula One Regulations

The WMSC accepted the proposal from Formula One Management to award the drivers’ championship to the driver who has won the most races during the season. If two or more drivers finish the season with the same number of wins, the title will be awarded to the driver with the most points, the allocation of points being based on the current 10, 8, 6 etc. system.

The rest of the standings, from second to last place, will be decided by the current points system. There is no provision to award medals for first, second or third place. The Constructors’ Championship is unaffected.

The WMSC rejected the alternative proposal from the Formula One Teams’ Association to change the points awarded to drivers finishing in first, second and third place to 12, 9 and 7 points respectively.

[www.fia.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 02:42PM by tripleM.
Re: Oh @#$%& (new points system and more)
Date: March 17, 2009 02:44PM
Posted by: chet
Well lets see how this pans out then...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 17, 2009 02:44PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
not too bad - much better than Bernie's original proposal. we now have the best of both worlds.

my only problem with this is, that they are trying to change everything in one year, when we don't even know if the 2009 rules will provide good racing yet...

EDIT: this is the one i don't like:
The FIA will publish the weights of all cars after qualifying at each Event

this will take away all the suspense... there is now not much point in experimenting with different strategies because other teams can counter it on Saturday night. they are making it too procedural

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 02:50PM by SchueyFan.
Date: March 17, 2009 02:54PM
Posted by: senninho
Looks more good than bad to me.

One thing that stands out as a triumph of common sense is bringing back the names 'intermediate' and 'wet' for tyres ;)

Date: March 17, 2009 02:54PM
Posted by: chet
The principal technical freedoms allowed are as follows:

1. A more aerodynamically efficient (but standard) under body.
2. Movable wings.
3. An engine which is not subject to a rev limit or a development freeze.

Standard underbody?

.... Great.

I can see the logic, but I am totally against standard anything other than brakes, the rest should be the teams own. Movable wings, as in aeroelastic? Not likley but thats not specific. I am happy about the engine changes though...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 17, 2009 02:58PM
Posted by: Covfan
Date: March 17, 2009 03:05PM
Posted by: vesuvius
don't like the new system :/ pointsystem 12,9,7 etc would have been much better.
Date: March 17, 2009 03:08PM
Posted by: marcl
What a pile of crap.

It should be the person with the most points end of.

You can not have someone winning the title with 3 wins but 5th in the points table as the person who got the most points only won 2 races.

May as well go back to best 12 results or as people have said give the winner more point.
Date: March 17, 2009 03:08PM
Posted by: AJTWWE
So basically someone could finish 3rd in the World Championship but yet be drivers champion cause he has more wins than the two above him. Am i right about that cause if i am then that is a mistake from the FIA.
Date: March 17, 2009 03:12PM
Posted by: elemental
Surely this kind of system will mean that teams simply HAVE to back one driver? Losing 2 points wasn't that bad when there are a potential 170 to pick up in the season. Losing 1 win is much more important when there's only 17.
Date: March 17, 2009 03:12PM
Posted by: marwood82
personally i'd have preferred the revised points system.

I see the what they're trying to do but i'm just a little unsure as to whether it will work.
Date: March 17, 2009 03:13PM
Posted by: Peat
what a load of tosh.

Date: March 17, 2009 03:17PM
Posted by: y2cwr2005
The new system isn't ideal, but at least we won't get crap like, DriverA must finish 7th or above to win championship.

We might actually have some proper fighting for race wins which we didn't see too often before because drivers knew they could just play the consistency game if they had a points lead. E.G. Alonso 2006.

Date: March 17, 2009 03:20PM
Posted by: zapppa
F1 IS DEAD

With this rules no more fantastic last races like 2007 and 2008.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 03:22PM by zapppa.
Date: March 17, 2009 03:21PM
The season could be over half way through the season if one driver wins a certain amount of grand prixs yet there is not enough races left for people to win to catch them up. This is a bad decision by the FIA and they should of gone with the 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1 format. Someone needs to start a petition up and send it to the FIA as we are the fans of F1 and they should look to us to try and improve the sport as we are the one's that actually watch the races.
Date: March 17, 2009 03:23PM
y2cwr2005 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The new system isn't ideal, but at least we won't
> get crap like, DriverA must finish 7th or above to
> win championship.
>

no, it is still possible.

Going into last race;
Driver A has 5 wins, 90 points
Driver B has 6 wins, 98 points
therefore, assuming Driver A win the race, Driver B would only need to finish 6th or above to win the championship (depending on 2nd place countback)

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 03:24PM by SchueyFan.
Date: March 17, 2009 03:25PM
Posted by: y2cwr2005
SchueyFan Wrote:
> y2cwr2005 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The new system isn't ideal, but at least we
> won't
> > get crap like, DriverA must finish 7th or above
> to
> > win championship.
> >
>
>
> yes, it is still possible.
>
> Going into last race;
> Driver A has 5 wins, 90
> points
> Driver B has 6 wins, 98
> points
> therefore, assuming Driver A win the race, Driver
> B would only need to finish 6th or above to win
> the championship (depending on 2nd place
> countback)

Didn't think about that. The new system is pretty pointless then. No pun intended....

Date: March 17, 2009 03:26PM
Posted by: EC83
Don't like this at all at first sight.

It's surely a combination of the previous system and the "medals" system, as SchueyFan says.

While it's not disasterous, it'll surely create more situations like 1988, where the champ isn't the guy with the most points. That's not altogether good.

Date: March 17, 2009 03:27PM
y2cwr2005 Wrote:
> Didn't think about that. The new system is pretty
> pointless then. No pun intended....

yes, it does defeat the idea a bit...

it would have been great if they had the most wins rule, but also a 12-8-6 or 12-9-7 points system instead of the 10-8-6... infact, i'm surprised they didn't do this, because then they could have taken into account the FOTA proposal and mixed them all together.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 03:28PM by SchueyFan.
Date: March 17, 2009 03:29PM
Also if lets say either Raikkonen or Massa were down the field and had no chance of victory, they could just choose to retire and save their engines knowing full well that it don't matter about getting the points for the driver's championship. If you were down the field battling for a championship you were always fighting to claim some points and it don't seem you will get that now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy