Posted by: Bruninho
LS. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doesnt seem fair that driver A can score say 9
> silver medals & have a consistent season and
> driver B 1 gold medal & finish out of the top 3
> for rest of the season. and still be WDC if thats
> how its going to work

This is exactly my argument against this stupid idea.

Imagine if Vettel wins 3 races, 3 gold medals. Kimi, Alonso, Senna, Hamilton, the other, wins 2, 2 gold medals but consistently collected a bunch of silver and bronze medals. According to Bernie CLOWNstone idea, Vettel would be declared champion.

Pathetic. I'll be forced to watch my VHS tapes of 1986-1993 F1 seasons instead of his *vomit* "new" F1...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 06:54PM by Bruninho.
Re: Medals not points
Date: November 26, 2008 07:04PM
Posted by: IWE
Yea I can imagine Vettel winning the championship, but somehow I cannot imagine Senna winning a race. ;)

Dunno why, but I still think this medal thing is more about raping history and stats of F1, than motivating drivers to fight for title.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: November 26, 2008 07:40PM
Posted by: EC83
I think Bernie wants to make as many waves as possible - by introducing silly new rules and screwing up the existing ones - so that when he goes, as he has to before many more years, he won't be forgotten easily.

This daft medals idea will do nothing to improve the amount of overtaking. Overtaking will be improved by less sensitive/complicated aerodynamics and grippier tyres, everyone knows that. The drivers are just as motivated to go all-out for 10 points as they would be to go all-out for a gold medal, does Bernie not realise that? It's also another sign he seems to be losing his marbles.

Date: November 26, 2008 07:49PM
Posted by: Fincent
There's a few things in F1 that should never be messed with and the points system is one of them. It's always been this way and should always be this way too. Yeah, the number of points for a particular position may change over the years but drivers still score points that go towards a running total (i.e. the championship). If medals are introduced, I don't believe it should be called F1 anymore as it completely changes the perspective of the results and technically isn't the same sport. Imagine if people suddenly turned round and tried to change the rules of football scoring (3 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss)...everyone would go absolutely crazy and it just wouldnt happen.

I really hope for the sake of the sport that medals aren't introduced :( .

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: November 27, 2008 01:22AM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Hmmm i think the current system is fine, and i think bernie should have just added an extra point for fastest lap and pole still.

We dont need this medal nonsense, this is a racing series, not the olympics

Date: November 27, 2008 10:01AM
Posted by: Nickv
A point for pole would only be reasonable if they'd drop the race fuel thing. And there aren't any signs of that happening...
Date: November 27, 2008 10:56AM
Posted by: LS.
I don't agree with the medal idea, but i do think he has identified a problem where the driver in 2nd place is satisfied to sit there and collect the points rather than push for the win.

Something needs to be done to get the drivers to push to the limit all the way to the flag, & not just hold station after the last pitstop and remaining laps.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: November 27, 2008 11:52AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Nickv Wrote:
> A point for pole would only be reasonable if
> they'd drop the race fuel thing. And there aren't
> any signs of that happening...

one idea was for the point to be for the fastest Q2 time i think, so that could still work

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 27, 2008 11:57AM
Posted by: kaid
they just need to change the system to 12-8-6.... etc and everything will be fine

Date: November 27, 2008 12:04PM
exactly!

if that was done this year, massa would have won by one point.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 27, 2008 12:45PM
"the guinea pig would have won"

Oh come on, he did NOT deserved it more than Hamilton.

Just go back to the 1988 points system and we'll be fine.

Date: November 27, 2008 04:14PM
Posted by: Ali
kaid Wrote:
> they just need to change the system to 12-8-6....
> etc and everything will be fine

NO.
The points system is ok. F1 has existed with a minimal changes in the pints system, there is no need to mess up the thing because...because...what? What's wrong with the points system?

Massa wouldn't have won with 12-8-6-... because the championship would be faced in a different way by the drivers. They adapt to the points system, so it is stupid to reward now only the wins. The points system is, by far, the best possible way to measure the performance of a driver a season long and should persist. Which is the motivation of a driver in a Force India? to finish 3rd!!!! the target is to get some points, with this proposed system the people and fans will not understand the standings:

1st driver: 3 golds, 2 silvers...
2nd driver: 2 golds, 3 silvers...
12 driver: 0 golds, 0 silvers... once he was 7th, twice he was 8th, three times he was 10th...

Anyway, maybe there's some hope:

[en.f1-live.com]

This is bullshit and I find it almost unbeliavable that it is even discussed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2008 04:21PM by Ali.
Date: November 27, 2008 04:33PM
Posted by: EC83
Hehe! Imagine if Bernie's request gets turned down - he'll probably throw a tantrum like a little kid...
He's short enough to get away with it after all ;)

Date: November 28, 2008 06:57PM
Posted by: Frantic
If Bernie wants something like that he shoyld think about recovering the 70s/80s point system, this is, the best 10 results, or 8 best results for the 9 first GP and 8 best results for the last 9 GP.

Anyway, medals and that system are pure $%@#... it makes the WDC only an especulation champ...

Date: November 29, 2008 12:57AM
Posted by: Racer#73
Medals!?!? WTF?

I thing Bernie is going gaga and needs to retire.

If he wants to the "winning races factor" to have more influence in WDC he should change the points system back to 10 6 4 3 2 1 for the top 6 drivers. At least the difference first and second was 4 points there, instead of 2 as it is currently.

If I remember and understood it well at the time, the reason he changed the points system as it is now was because Schummi was winning too much and he wanted to reduce the difference between first and second places, so the WDC wouldn't be decided with more than 5 races remaining.

This medals system is f*****g ridiculous.

For at least five years there's been some ridiculous rules in F1 (like no pitting for tires). And the worst, besides this idea, are the Safety Car rules.

Cheers
Date: November 29, 2008 07:35PM
Posted by: Nickv
Frantic schreef:
> If Bernie wants something like that he shoyld
> think about recovering the 70s/80s point system,
> this is, the best 10 results, or 8 best results
> for the 9 first GP and 8 best results for the last
> 9 GP.

No, no, no, no. That would be as bad as medals, if not worse. Then the driver with the most points still has a chance of not being champion, just like with medals.
Date: November 30, 2008 03:49PM
there's an interesting analysis of the idea in james allen's blog, worth a look imo.

[allenonf1.wordpress.com]

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2008 03:50PM by SchueyFan.
Date: December 01, 2008 03:24PM
With the 1980s - most notably 1988 season - points system (9-6-4-3-2-1 for the top six finishers) and 11 best results counted only, the guinea pig would have won by 4 points.

DRV W P2 P3 B.R TOT
MAS 6 02 02 01* 76
HAM 5 02 03 01+ 71

B.R = Best results out of the podium
* = 5th place @ Canada.
+ = 5th place @ Malaysia.

OFC the story would have been different had they had in mind that points system. Hamilton for sure would still win as he handles the idea of winning at all costs easier than his rival. Take for example the Monza wet race - where his rival just sat in sixth place not to take any risks while Hammy was charging through the field. Had the old points system been there, he'd be forced to try and get something better than a sixth place. And he'd end in a gravel trap, considering how bad in the wet he is.

Date: December 01, 2008 03:48PM
Posted by: gav
I think Hamilton would have spun off too if that's the case, as he had even more to do...

You can't decide who would have won what if the medal system was in place, as you'd have completely different strategies and approaches, so half the races would have ended differently anyway. In the example you gave, Massa perhaps sat back a bit as that's what suited the points system - he gained more than Hamilton (though obviously in retrospect he didn't quite gain enough). Had it been medals, with only the top 3 scoring, then 1/4 of the field might have driven differently.
Date: December 01, 2008 03:55PM
Well, from a minor/midfield team point of view, I'm against the medals system. It would be the end of these teams in F1, I mean what can they get from a 4th place in this system?!???

How would you measure toyota against honda if both teams hadnt scored podiums in a season? or RBR against STR? that's one of the problems in that system.

Reverting back to the old points system, imho is the best choice. It makes a win way more rewarding than a 2nd place (4 points gap between them). Well, 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 isnt bad either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2008 03:56PM by Bruninho.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy