Medals not points

Posted by marcl 
Re: Medals not points
Date: November 18, 2008 02:25PM
Posted by: SAMF1
how about every positions get points!!!!!
being sarcastic

Date: November 18, 2008 02:31PM
Posted by: Sapo
How about changing everything there is to change, ánd start a whole new series with everything as it was last year.

Now we will have the ugliest racingmachines in years racing eachother for almost nothing (a medal or three), on tracks which spends and wastes millions of dollars and megawatts of energy to lighten their tracks at night, while everyone screams f1 has to be cheaper ánd greener.

God, leave it as it was for heaven's sake. This was one of the most exciting seasons in decades, and now it ALL has to change. At once.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: November 18, 2008 02:37PM
F1 is dying!!!!

Date: November 18, 2008 02:51PM
Posted by: red 5
Re: Medals not points new
Date: November 18, 2008 02:37PM
Posted by: SAMF1 (IP Logged)

F1 is dying!!!!

everything is dying, slowly but surely. everything will end one day. that is the only 100% certanty, that we will all die. including F1.

Date: November 18, 2008 03:06PM
Posted by: gav
Sapo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> God, leave it as it was for heaven's sake. This
> was one of the most exciting seasons in decades,
> and now it ALL has to change. At once.

It was, yes, but more through circumstance and luck than because the cars were great.

We had an abnormal number of wet races and odd races like Monaco, Montreal, Hockenheim, Monza, Singapore and Fuji with drives in positions they normally wouldn't be. Istanbul, where pretty much the only interest was due to Hamilton having to take a 3-stop race and Heikki being shoved backwards after turn 1.

2009 would never have been the same. I can't think of another season similar in this way for ages.

We've been crowing for the FIA to come along and overhaul the sport for years now. They start doing it, and everyone crows for it be kept the same.

I'm not saying I agree with this part of it (the points/medals), but the cars themselves... it had to be done.
Date: November 18, 2008 03:23PM
Posted by: Nickv
WTF? Are Bernie and Max playing a game with who can turn up with the most stupid ideas?

Both these people should be shut up, they are showing alarming signs of dementia.
Date: November 18, 2008 03:28PM
F1 should be the pinnacle of m-sport and as such it should have only few parameters defined, much like pre WW2 grandprix racing.

for example: chassis free, but not lighter than 600kg
engine 3.5l atmospheric, or 1.8l turbo

everything else completely OPEN. No rules regarding design. everything allowed. that would be motor racing

Date: November 18, 2008 03:35PM
i wish i can replace Bernie Ecclestone to me

Date: November 18, 2008 03:43PM
red 5 schreef:
> F1 should be the pinnacle of m-sport and as such
> it should have only few parameters defined, much
> like pre WW2 grandprix racing.
>
> for example: chassis free, but not lighter than
> 600kg
> engine 3.5l atmospheric, or 1.8l turbo
>
> everything else completely OPEN. No rules
> regarding design. everything allowed. that would
> be motor racing

Ron Dennis once said 'Rules should be more basic. In an ideal world, you'd simply ask whether a car fits into a box or not. If it does, it's a grand prix car, if it doesn't, it's not.'

Now that would be a good rule book.
Date: November 18, 2008 03:45PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
and allowing cars that are much different to one another would surely assist overtaking as well

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 18, 2008 04:12PM
Re: Medals not points new
Date: November 18, 2008 03:45PM
Posted by: SchueyFan (IP Logged)

and allowing cars that are much different to one another would surely assist overtaking as well

and different designs would led to one team being dominant on one track the other on other track.

problem is what if all tracks became tilkedromes. Ideally public roads again. Reims, Longhorne, Spa and monsters like nordschleife and monza oval

Date: November 18, 2008 04:12PM
red 5 Wrote:
> F1 should be the pinnacle of m-sport and as such
> it should have only few parameters defined, much
> like pre WW2 grandprix racing.
>
> for example: chassis free, but not lighter than
> 600kg
> engine 3.5l atmospheric, or 1.8l turbo
>
> everything else completely OPEN. No rules
> regarding design. everything allowed. that would
> be motor racing

That would be lethal. But then again, you did say like pre WW2.

The problem isn't particularly the lack of open rules, the problem is that while every team's approach is a little different, there's only one basic way to build a car to get the best out of any set of rules.

Take the 80's. The reason nothing looked like anything else wasn't always because they necessarily thought their approach was better, it was because the different teams had different resources and expertise, and the rules had just changed into, essentially what we have now, so there was still a degree of experimentation going on until ideals were found.

Today everyone knows the best basic approach to the raw shape, because it hasn't changed in 30 years, so you end up with the differences being minute, the biggest difference likely being something like nose-cones, or if those Ferrari ideas (hollow nose, that aero piece on the sidepod) become mainstream, those. There's still plenty of scope for difference. The problem is, change almost inevitably is a compromise at best, a disadvantage at worst.
Date: November 18, 2008 04:16PM
stripping the rules to basic level would infact led to cost cutting in the end. because if you have complex set of rules than if you want extra 0.1 of a second you have to digg very deep. But if the rules were more open, then maybe some odd idea will bring someone an extra second. (wings, ground effect etc.. examples from the past)

Date: November 18, 2008 04:20PM
Not true. If the rules are more open then the teams will invest in all kinds of superduper technologically sophisticated systems like a very advanced KERS system or a W16 engine with four turbos. That's not really going to cut costs.
Date: November 18, 2008 04:23PM
red 5 Wrote:
> stripping the rules to basic level would infact
> led to cost cutting in the end. because if you
> have complex set of rules than if you want extra
> 0.1 of a second you have to digg very deep. But if
> the rules were more open, then maybe some odd idea
> will bring someone an extra second. (wings, ground
> effect etc.. examples from the past)

And then even if that were the case, teams would just hire hoards and hoards of R&D personnel, and spend millions more in wind-tunnels or test-beds or whatever systems are needed to confirm and tweak their developments.

Sorry - I love reminiscing on the past, and continually wish F1 could turn back the clock at least 20 years, but what you're proposing is completely impractical and unmanageable, let alone astonishingly unsafe.
Date: November 18, 2008 04:25PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
sorry for OT, but if anyone's interested in pre WW2 racing, check this fantastic site out!

[www.kolumbus.fi]

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 18, 2008 04:36PM
Date: November 18, 2008 04:20PM
Posted by: Nickv (IP Logged)

Not true. If the rules are more open then the teams will invest in all kinds of superduper technologically sophisticated systems like a very advanced KERS system or a W16 engine with four turbos. That's not really going to cut costs.

all the revolutionary designs in F1 hystory were more dut to idea than money. Usually a bright man's idea(Gordon Murray, Dan Gurney, ??Owen Maddock??) or even lunatic's idea (Colin Chapman)

@gav, bringing back the past is impossible because people look at things differently today. Before, way before we were born it was the car that was winning the race. Then it was driver/car combo thet was winning. But today we all want to see the best driver winning thus everyone shoul have same equipement. That is not the point of motorracing. The point of motorracing was to bring the beast home in one piece and to be able go home to your wife after the race. That was achievement, if you win along the way that is bonus. If you win with weaker machine against better machines, you are super hero, immortal, Tazio Nuvolari.

Today it is plain everyone drives more less the same cars, guts, who needs guts anymore, they all drive it at 100% because what the hell Tilke did a great job, we can do it we can nail the car. It doesnt make sense anymore. I am not saying it should be more dangerous, no, I am just saying the original point is lost. that is all. And in that light, yes , we cannot bring the past back.

Date: November 18, 2008 04:38PM
all the revolutionary designs in F1 hystory were more dut to idea than money. Usually a bright man's idea(Gordon Murray, Dan Gurney, ??Owen Maddock??) or even lunatic's idea (Colin Chapman)

That was in a time in which money didn't matter as much as it does today.
Date: November 18, 2008 04:39PM
Posted by: Monza972
In other news......

Martin Brundle has confirmed he will continue to call F1 races for British television in 2009.

When the former Grand Prix driver retired at the end of 1996, he moved into the commentary booth with the independent broadcaster ITV.

The exclusive F1 television rights in Britain, however, have changed hands to the BBC for 2009 and beyond, but the award-winning 49-year-old Brundle was tipped to also move from ITV.

He confirmed the news as he addressed the Autocar Awards in London on Monday night.

"I'm delighted to be able to tell you all that I'll be joining the BBC next year," the Briton, who raced in F1 with McLaren, Williams, Jordan and others, said.

"I've been commentating on F1 for the past dozen years and I briefly considered calling it a day, but in the end I decided to take up the BBC's offer and I am now very excited about working for them next year," Brundle added.

WOOO!

/edit: already been done in the Other thread. Fail

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 04:40PM by Monza972.
Date: November 18, 2008 04:42PM
red 5 Wrote:
> @gav, bringing back the past is impossible because
> people look at things differently today. Before,
> way before we were born it was the car that was
> winning the race. Then it was driver/car combo
> thet was winning. But today we all want to see the
> best driver winning thus everyone shoul have same
> equipement. That is not the point of motorracing.
> The point of motorracing was to bring the beast
> home in one piece and to be able go home to your
> wife after the race. That was achievement, if you
> win along the way that is bonus. If you win with
> weaker machine against better machines, you are
> super hero, immortal, Tazio Nuvolari.
>
> Today it is plain everyone drives more less the
> same cars, guts, who needs guts anymore, they all
> drive it at 100% because what the hell Tilke did a
> great job, we can do it we can nail the car. It
> doesnt make sense anymore. I am not saying it
> should be more dangerous, no, I am just saying the
> original point is lost. that is all. And in that
> light, yes , we cannot bring the past back.

I agree with the fact that current circuits make it too easy to avoid a race-ending incident, but to suggest that it's not motor-racing unless you're continually putting your life at severe risk by introducing danger for the sake of it, just goes to show how out of touch with reality you are.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy